• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I unexpectedly bought an XB1 today. What games should I get?

maxcriden

I'll just mention that you already have these, OP, as they're included in Rare Replay. Much of RR consists of BC 360 games; you'll notice quite a few things pop up in My Games & Apps with both Xbox 360 and Rare Replay banners.

Thanks! Incidentally, how much of NAB is platforming? Is there a satisfying sense of progression without it? I'm not generally too into racing except DKR and sometimes MK.

maxcriden

See, Amazon has always had, in my experience, amazing Customer support and I knew Exploding Kittens would be a blessing I'm disguise.

Awesome.

I was impressed as always. Amazon has consistently excellent CS. One time I forgot to return some gloves, there months later I called them and they were like eh we'll credit you just toss 'em or give them away.

Caayn

I sadly haven't gotten around to any of the Banjo games yet, but hopefully someone else can answer that question.

If not, there's always the Metacritic page, I suppose.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts
Banjo Kazooie is a collectathon platformer in which you'll get more moves the further you progress through the game. Think Mario64 but you keep everything outside of the worlds.

Banjo Tooie follows Kazooie and instantly gives you access to the moves you in Kazooie with many more moves to learn, worlds to discover and items to collect. You'll also be able to separate Banjo and Kazooie in this title, each with their own moves and strengths and weaknesses. A sequel in the truest sense of the word. Some people find that Tooie took the collectathon too far personally this didn't bother me. I (personally) find the N64 Banjo games to be better than Mario 64.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is a reboot. It's still collectathon and platformer although it now puts the focus on creating your own vehicle in order to get further into each level. A game that isn't liked by many because it's different from the original two games but I enjoyed it.

Sydle

Thanks! Incidentally, how much of NAB is platforming? Is there a satisfying sense of progression without it? I'm not generally too into racing except DKR and sometimes MK.

Platforming on foot? Very little. The hub world, Showdown Town is a great mix of on-foot platforming and use of the vehicle to open up new areas.

The individual worlds are designed predominantly for vehicle use, which you'll have to use to navigate the terrain and solve challenges. Some of the challenges are based on racing, or beating a clock, so maybe it's not for you, but you should give it a shot.

maxcriden

Banjo Kazooie is a collectathon platformer in which you'll get more moves the further you progress through the game. Think Mario64 but you keep everything outside of the worlds.

Banjo Tooie follows Kazooie and instantly gives you access to the moves you in Kazooie with many more moves to learn, worlds to discover and items to collect. You'll also be able to separate Banjo and Kazooie in this title, each with their own moves and strengths and weaknesses. A sequel in the truest sense of the word. Some people find that Tooie took the collectathon too far personally this didn't bother me. I (personally) find the N64 Banjo games to be better than Mario 64.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts is a reboot. It's still collectathon and platformer although it now puts the focus on creating your own vehicle in order to get further into each level. A game that isn't liked by many because it's different from the original two games but I enjoyed it.

Platforming on foot? Very little. The hub world, Showdown Town is a great mix of on-foot platforming and use of the vehicle to open up new areas.

The individual worlds are designed predominantly for vehicle use, which you'll have to use to navigate the terrain and solve challenges. Some of the challenges are based on racing, or beating a clock, so maybe it's not for you, but you should give it a shot.

Thanks a ton to you both.

Caayn, I feel badly accidentally causing you to go to the effort of describing BK and BT. I meant only to ask about NAB. But I enjoyed reading your descriptions! And, it takes me back a bit, because one of my first forays into the world wide web was some BK forum where people came up with theories of where SWS was hidden in BK. And then I remember the big day the Rare Witch Project cracked the whole thing wide open!

So when you say navigate the terrain, is there...platforming using the vehicle? We tried a bit of a demo years ago but that's it. Back when we had a 360. I remember the font was crazy tiny though, any idea if that was changeable in the full game? I think my main concern with NAB was that it would require some nuanced knowledge of mechanics and vehicles that I don't have. Is that the case? And is it basically BK where you play as a car instead?

jdstorm

Banned
Another game to put on your radar is Steep It's an open world Snowboarding/skying/extreme sports game. It will be out in a few months and it seems like something you might be into since it's very platformy

Sydle

Thanks a ton to you both.

Caayn, I feel badly accidentally causing you to go to the effort of describing BK and BT. I meant only to ask about NAB. But I enjoyed reading your descriptions! And, it takes me back a bit, because one of my first forays into the world wide web was some BK forum where people came up with theories of where SWS was hidden in BK. And then I remember the big day the Rare Witch Project cracked the whole thing wide open!

So when you say navigate the terrain, is there...platforming using the vehicle? We tried a bit of a demo years ago but that's it. Back when we had a 360. I remember the font was crazy tiny though, any idea if that was changeable in the full game? I think my main concern with NAB was that it would require some nuanced knowledge of mechanics and vehicles that I don't have. Is that the case? And is it basically BK where you play as a car instead?

Maybe platforming isn't the right word. In order to get to some places you'll need certain parts like tires with better grip, or wings and a propeller to access high places, or something to help navigate underwater. You'd spend most of your time building vehicles to complete the mini challenges by land, sea, or air that range from getting from point A to point B, going through gates, carrying things, or destroying things. There are some bosses, too. The game gives you a standard vehicle for every challenge that you can use or modify to your liking, or you can use something of your own design that you build from scratch or modify one of your previous creations.

If you don't like the idea of building a vehicle (tires, engines, magnets, floaters, wings, missiles, etc.) to be part of solving the challenge then maybe you should skip it. I've always loved Legos, especially the Technics line with gears and such, so I really took to N&B. I spent 40+ hours with it, which is more than I spent with the first two games combined even though I completed them both 100%.

The text issue was updated.

maxcriden

Maybe platforming isn't the right word. In order to get to some places you'll need certain parts like tires with better grip, or wings and a propeller to access high places, or something to help navigate underwater. You'd spend most of your time building vehicles to complete the mini challenges by land, sea, or air that range from getting from point A to point B, going through gates, carrying things, or destroying things. There are some bosses, too. The game gives you a standard vehicle for every challenge that you can use or modify to your liking, or you can use something of your own design that you build from scratch or modify one of your previous creations.

If you don't like the idea of building a vehicle (tires, engines, magnets, floaters, wings, missiles, etc.) to be part of solving the challenge then maybe you should skip it. I've always loved Legos, especially the Technics line with gears and such, so I really took to N&B. I spent 40+ hours with it, which is more than I spent with the first two games combined even though I completed them both 100%.

The text issue was updated.

Thanks for all of this info. I was a big Lego kid also, though I was never good at or keen on the K'Nex, which sound similar to the Technics line you described. I suppose to clarify I'm open to learning to build an in-game vehicle for gaming success, as long as actual engineering or mechanical foreknowledge or physics-based understanding isn't a prerequisite to successfully building your rig. Like, just in the sense that I'd need the game to teach me everything I need to know, and more like "magnets are good for this kind of race" and less "if you factor in torque and maximum velocity (yes I probably learned the term from F-Zero 😂) these magnets will account for coefficient drag in underwater courses."

BTW, love your username. I remember well the flak Nintendo got for "misspelling" 'slide' in the game. 😂

TwiztidElf

I'll never, ever understand GAF's blindspot for Dead Rising.

Dead mutherfukkin Rising 3! (Best exclusive on XBone).
and DR4 in December.

maxcriden

My XB1 console from the Deal of the Day still hasn't shipped. Talked to Amazon and they said it would be restocked and sent 7/25 (after previously being told it would be 7/22). The page said yesterday it was sold by some other party but fulfilled by Amazon. One CSR told me it would be 8/24 before they got more. Then the other one yesterday after that said this 7/25 shipment from the other seller, since it's fulfilled by Amazon, would be sent tom me.

Today I go on the page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0118GJKIW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Now it says only available from third party sellers.

The Amazon guy I talked to last said he'd call Friday to follow up. He assured me they'd definitely fulfill the order since it was a Prime Day DOTD. But...I'm becoming increasingly skeptical. :(

fernoca

That sucks.
If anything, this ordeal wil help into getting them to give you a few more refunds and reduce the price even more. XD

maxcriden

Sorry to hear. Hope you'll get yours in a timely manner.

That sucks.
If anything, this ordeal wil help into getting them to give you a few more refunds and reduce the price even more. XD

Thanks guys. That's the hope. I don't plan to give up and cancel the order unless they can ensure a significant refund. But I really don't want it to get to that point, I just want to keep politely asking them until they send it to me.

SOR5

Thanks guys. That's the hope. I don't plan to give up and cancel the order unless they can ensure a significant refund. But I really don't want it to get to that point, I just want to keep politely asking them until they send it to me.

Get on an Amazon live chat now and keep pestering them, its the only way

Also save the transcript of the chat

maxcriden

Get on an Amazon live chat now and keep pestering them, its the only way

Also save the transcript of the chat

Thanks. :) So far I already did multiple times. I have the transcripts. I also called them. I'm supposed to get a call back after it supposedly ships today which I don't think it will. The dude is calling or writing to me on Friday. If nothing happens then I will pursue again....

maxcriden

As expected the bundle did not ship.

Amazon told me to cancel the order and credited me $15 for the trouble.

I went to cancel and it wouldn't let me because parts of the bundle shipped.

I talked to another CSR and their supervisor. They couldn't cancel it on their end no matter what they tried. They said they understand what I'm saying about the product no longer being manufactured but they buy from a seller (I assume they mean like a supplier or wholesaler) and not the manufacturer so they still are expecting it between August 1 and 20, with an expected delivery day of 8/25 for me. We shall see. Here's hoping.

On the bright side, if I do get it, it will now be a $48 XB1 with all the various refunds, sales and discounts...

maxcriden

Update:

Important Messages
We thought you should know that there's a delay with the item(s) listed below. You'll need to approve this delay so that we can continue processing this part of your order. We apologize for any inconvenience.

To see all the items in this order, to cancel an item, or to make any changes to unshipped items, view your Order Summary

Order Placed: July 12, 2016

Delayed items--your approval required

Items Ordered Approve

Xbox One 500GB Console - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle

Your approval required by: September 16, 2016

We will still try to ship the above item(s) by the approval required by date(s). If this is not possible, and we have not received your approval for the delay by the date(s) listed above, we will cancel this part of your order.

When you're done, click to save changes and return to your Order Summary.

Our revised shipping and delivery estimates are not definite and are subject to change. If there are additional delays, however, we will notify you by e-mail.

it still won't let me cancel it. I guess I will try calling them again....

maxcriden

I called them again and they could not cancel it. They reduced the item order to $0 so if it ever comes it will be free since I was never charged for this part of the bundle.

I never realized I wasn't charged, so given that my profit (besides the free XB if it ever comes) is $150 ($50 Amazon GC + $13 surplus refund + $40 controller sale + $22 and $15 digital game sales + $10 Amazon cred). So, I want to buy an XB1 with this money....

maxcriden

Update!!

img_20160827_16334196iisbr.jpg

It's finally here!! After a lot of ordeal.

Got one in great shape on BST for $182. Yay for the $32 XB1!!!!

It's updating now. It's shiny and white. :D

Got Ori digitally for $10 on craigslist, Max: COB digitally for $1 from a generous GAFer and Rare Replay through a trade. With more to come. :)

Top Bottom