• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CS:GO, Girls, and Good Times

I have recently began playing Counter Strike. I had heard about how bad the community was and at times it can be unbearable. But last night I played for a few hours and, low and behold, I played with a girl. I know this sounds weird that it would be such a monumental event, but it was the very first time in 19 hours of playing the game that a girl was vocal on chat...and I have to say, it was amazing.

First off, she was awesome. Always coming in 1st or 2nd during Deathmatch. (I don't play casual or competitive because I am not good enough yet. Deathmatch is helping me learn the game and how to get gud.) When she first spoke, the whole room sort of went quiet. Soon after she joined, several other friends of hers joined (all males) and you could tell they were all very close. The entire first hour was just a lot of good banter, nothing sexist, and I was very happy that she was able to play without any incident of sexism and, damn, she was good.

At one point, though, in came one guy who insisted on saying that every time he killed her, that he "raped" her. It got to the point where he would just say the word "rape" after every kill. Since she was good, the word bitch, and other derogatory word soon began to flow as well. It was awful. It got so bad that her friends, maybe 4 of the other players, (one of them wasn't on her team) circled around her and began killing the bigot every time he tried to get near her. This enraged him to no end, calling her friends "faggots", "homos" and other crazy shit. Eventually he was kicked from the room. None of this seemed to bother the girl, like it was a common occurrence. She must have had some really thick skin. I doubt I could have handled it as well as she did.

Anyway, we all played together for another 2 hours or so and that was the only incident. Otherwise it was lots of shit talking about skill (or lack there of in my case) but for some odd reason it was a very special session of gaming. Which is terrible in itself, because it shouldn't have been. It should just be normal that women play all types of games. Maybe its a me problem, and my own sexism is showing by thinking how unique the whole experience was. These kind of experiences make me try and identify my own blindspots. In the end I didn't try and add her as a friend on Steam but I do hope to run into that whole group again at some point. It was too much fun.

Fake edit: I know I have probably played with other girls who just weren't vocal on chat. This person was just the first one that was.

Leunam

Did...did I accidentally end up on Livejournal? What is the point of this thread?

Why don't you give it some direction? Share your own experience of playing with women online?

There are lots of women in the Free Company I run in FFXIV. I've heard stories from them of how people react to just their character models. Really inappropriate stuff and makes me wonder what makes people think it's ok to behave that way.

fwpx

Why don't you give it some direction? Share your own experience of playing with women online?

Why? Why would I feel the need to single out an entire sex just because OMG THEY PLAY VIDEO GAMES!

People from all walks of life play games, and I don't think "that one time that i played with a girl" is something that is worth discussing. Taking the focus off of what age or gender someone is is the first step in people to stop acting like assholes.

Sliver

Last time I played with a girl in CS:GO her username was Daddy's Slut and she was on the bottom of the score board (right under me). Lets keep sharing our tales of playing with girl gamers guys.

Leunam

Why? Why would I feel the need to single out an entire sex just because OMG THEY PLAY VIDEO GAMES!

People from all walks of life play games, and I don't think "that one time that i played with a girl" is something that is worth discussing. Taking the focus off of what age or gender someone is is the first step in people to stop acting like assholes.

Most of what I got out of it is the shitty reaction by that one player, not the fact that this was just a story of a woman playing video games.

And your second point is laughable. Ignoring race, age, or gender doesn't work in enacting change. Assholes need to be told they are being assholes, better to not be a shitty person in the first place than asking everyone to ignore something about a person's nature that they can't change.

mcz117chief

I meet girls in Killing Floor 2 pretty often and I have never ever met with any kind of sexist behaviour there, at all. Killing Floor has a pretty chill community most of the times.

Ah, OP. You should have sent her a message like this ;)

7a4c77513a9d1202e651a5bfc2f76545.jpg

markwaters

Neo Member
Well, this thread is a little weird, but I see an opportunity for all of us, especially males, to consider and reflect upon the ways that we've internalized misogyny/homophobia/toxic masculinity to the point where we find women and people who are non-binary or non-heteronormative to be exceptional when they thrive in video game spaces -- and we come to expect the harassment and dehumanization of these folks to the point where we are completely desensitized to and feel no sense of outrage.

Discuss.

fwpx

Most of what I got out of it is the shitty reaction by that one player, not the fact that this was just a story of a woman playing video games.

And your second point is laughable. Ignoring race, age, or gender doesn't work in enacting change. Assholes need to be told they are being assholes, better to not be a shitty person in the first place than asking everyone to ignore something about a person's nature that they can't change.

Ah, yes. Learning to base someones video game skills on their skill, and not their sex, is laughable. Got it. Do you understand WHY it is that this person got singled out and got a "shitty reaction by that one player"? Her gender. do you know why that is? Bullshit like the OP. Feeling the need to share a story about a CS:GO game he played because he played it with a female in the first place is exactly the problem. If that had been a guy, would the story be interesting? Would this thread have been locked immediately? Negatively telling a bigot or a sexist that they are being a bigot and a sexist is going to end in *GASP* BIGOTRY AND SEXISM. If some asshole decides to call someone a slur, do you think they give a damn about if you think they're being an asshole? No.

I am so tired of people acting like females and POC playing video games is some kind of thing we need to be aware of and tell stories about. Can't we all just play video games? Stop pointing it out. It doesn't matter.

The last grill I added from CSGO I met playing Deathmatch grinding out my Gold Operation Coin.

She wanted to trade my $200 AUG for nudes.

Sorry grill, no women, male, tits, dicks, vagina, and cute face is worth my $200 Anime AUG.

MutFox

Banned
A lot of girls play FPS games on PC.
It's very common to have girls on chat and nothing happening.

Every now and then there will be a jerk.
Just get the whole server to mute them, they usually leave within a few mins.

Mute is the most powerful weapon against trolls in games.
(It blocks all communication, even text.)

Those types of players are only there for 1 reason,
once their reason is gone, they leave to the next server.

MutFox

Banned
Also, there's a lot of girls playing.
Many of them just don't talk, so you'd never know you were playing with a girl.
(Most people don't talk on chat)

Ah, yes. Learning to base someones video game skills on their skill, and not their sex, is laughable. Got it. Do you understand WHY it is that this person got singled out and got a "shitty reaction by that one player"? Her gender. do you know why that is? Bullshit like the OP. Feeling the need to share a story about a CS:GO game he played because he played it with a female in the first place is exactly the problem. If that had been a guy, would the story be interesting? Would this thread have been locked immediately? Negatively telling a bigot or a sexist that they are being a bigot and a sexist is going to end in *GASP* BIGOTRY AND SEXISM. If some asshole decides to call someone a slur, do you think they give a damn about if you think they're being an asshole? No.

I am so tired of people acting like females and POC playing video games is some kind of thing we need to be aware of and tell stories about. Can't we all just play video games? Stop pointing it out. It doesn't matter.
The bullshit is that in the many hours of playing this was the first woman who used a mic. That can't be just a coincidence, that I am somehow just randomly being put in rooms without females? I made the post because until last night 100% of the voices in a game that depends on people using their voices were male. How women are treated in the gaming industry is of particular interest to me for a while because its bullshit how the industry, and particularly the community treat them.

I interpreted OP's post to be more about how people treated her like shit because of her gender.

Which isn't really news, but I am glad OP now sees this is a thing. For some people it doesn't hit home until they see it themselves.

L Thammy

It's just like Ethan and Lilah in Ctrl+Alt+Del. Beautiful.

I don't play a lot of games with voice chat though. How common are things like the rape guy OP's talking about?

fwpx

The bullshit is that in the many hours of playing this was the first woman who used a mic. That can't be just a coincidence, that I am somehow just randomly being put in rooms without females? I made the post because until last night 100% of the voices in a game that depends on people using their voices were male. How women are treated in the gaming industry is of particular interest to me for a while because its bullshit how the industry, and particularly the community treat them.

You feeling the need to post a story about how you played a video game with a female is part of the problem. I hope you understand that. It's not a personal attack. It's just a female, she is doing exactly what you were trying to do: relax and play CS:GO. It's not interesting or noteworthy.

edit: But you're not wrong. Would you put on a headset and speak if some anonymous person was going to rip you a new asshole just because you are who you are?

It's just like Ethan and Lilah in Ctrl+Alt+Del. Beautiful.

I don't play a lot of games with voice chat though. How common are things like the rape guy OP's talking about?

Really common. If there is a voice chat, chances are high it's like that guy. Especially in games like CSGO.

You feeling the need to post a story about how you played a video game with a female is part of the problem. I hope you understand that. It's not a personal attack. It's just a female, she is doing exactly what you were trying to do: relax and play CS:GO. It's not interesting or noteworthy.

edit: But you're not wrong. Would you put on a headset and speak if some anonymous person was going to rip you a new asshole just because you are who you are?
Which I admitted in the OP was probably a blindspot of mine which I realized while making the OP. Still, one guy being a dick out of 3 hours of play was pretty good. I was more impressed by that than anything. But maybe my expectations are fucked and I should work on that as well.

Raven117

Dear diary....

Not sure where you were headed with it, OP, but yeah...the online culture towards female players is deplorable.

Leunam

Negatively telling a bigot or a sexist that they are being a bigot and a sexist is going to end in *GASP* BIGOTRY AND SEXISM. If some asshole decides to call someone a slur, do you think they give a damn about if you think they're being an asshole? No.

I'd rather people's own identity not be distilled to 'gamer' because you just want to play video games and can't take a little bit of grown-up discussion about the extremely visible misogyny and racism. Inclusion is not a bad thing, and people like you insisting that simply plugging our ears and closing our eyes to these kinds of things would make all of that ugliness go away is ridiculous.

As video games continue to gain more and more mainstream attention and acceptance, racism and misogyny need to be put on blast. I'd rather things improve rather than pretend they don't exist.

soultron

Banned
The toxic behaviour of the guy who came in, aggressing people, is sadly common in CSGO in DM matchmaking. If you can find a server through the browser (like the old days of CS) you stand a higher chance of finding a group of regular players who (hopefully) aren't toxic. Good luck and hope this is just the beginning of CS for you! We have a CSGO community thread if you get into CS and want to get better, talk about tournaments, and play with GAFfers.

j0hnnix

Lol. This thread is epic.

Really, he only listened to a high pitched 10 year old who had not hit puberty yet.

fwpx

I'd rather people's own identity not be distilled to 'gamer' because you just want to play video games and can't take a little bit of grown-up discussion about the extremely visible misogyny and racism. Inclusion is not a bad thing, and people like you insisting that simply plugging our ears and closing our eyes to these kinds of things would make all of that ugliness go away is ridiculous.

As video games continue to gain more and more mainstream attention and acceptance, racism and misogyny need to be put on blast. I'd rather things improve rather than pretend they don't exist.

I'll wait here until you realize that attacking people who attack other people does not work. Ignoring is not what I'm suggesting, I'm suggesting you look past stereotypes and and accept a person for who they are, not who they were born as. That's all. If you think that is "ignoring" the issue, then you're not looking more than a single move ahead, friend.

Top Bottom