• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky Will Not Require PlayStation Plus

mocoworm

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ns-sky-will-not-require-playstation-plus.aspx

Hello Games’ No Man’s Sky features a vast universe, quintillions of planets, and seemingly endless opportunities for exploration. But you should probably plan on doing it alone, even though there is technically multiplayer support.

In fact, the chance of you being able to meet up with a friend in the vastness of space is so slim that Sony and Hello Games consider No Man’s Sky to be a single-player experience (as seen here on the PlayStation Store and Steam storefront).

Game Informer Australia editor David Milner reached out to Sony to inquire about a number of items and heard one interesting tidbit. “PS Plus won’t be a requirement to play online, however you will need to connected to the internet for your discoveries to register with the universal atlas,” a representative told him.

The atlas is a souped up version of a leaderboard, allowing players to leave indelible marks on the one-time procedurally generated universe. We’ll find out just how expansive the game is when it’s released on August 9.

bede-x

How does the multiplayer work? Can you get together with your friends like in most games or are you litterally just spawning a random place and never likely to ever see anyone else?

Kieli

How does the multiplayer work? Can you get together with your friends like in most games or are you litterally just spawning a random place and never likely to ever see anyone else?

probably the latter. spawn somewhere totally random and not even know how to get to where your friends are

Murdamonk

Funny, i was just on the PS Store a few seconds ago and saw that it says 1 Player.

Was about to come in here to ask you guys that question...

Anyways, thanks for the explanation.

Auctopus

Is there anywhere where they've officially confirmed that this game is an online multiplayer yet? I swear when the game was announced they were talking about it being asynchronous. You are essentially in the same world, your updates and "conquers" will be visible to everyone but if by a slim, slim chance you and another player were in the same area, you wouldn't see each other.

The lack of PS+ requirement is telling to how interactive the multiplayer will be. Kind of a bummer that I won't be able to meet up with my buds and space-cruise.

That said, still incredibly excited.

Plumpman

They still haven't officially said it was Multiplayer.
They talked about it really early on and never since then.

I get the feeling its not even in the game.
Am I crazy?

They still haven't officially said it was Multiplayer.
They talked about it really early on and never since then.

I get the feeling its not even in the game.
Am I crazy?

It's in the game but it sounds like it will be a rare event, It's not like you and your party of friends are going to be meeting at Bleeblox V and going pirate hunting together.

KingV

It's in the game but it sounds like it will be a rare event, It's not like you and your party of friends are going to be meeting at Bleeblox V and going pirate hunting together.

Are you 100% sure of that?

For some reason I highly doubt a team of 12 would dedicate the resources to design the net code for an event that will, in all likelihood, never occur.

Maybe it's super basic, like you can't actually interact with the other person, but can see that their ship is parked or something.

Are you 100% sure of that?

For some reason I highly doubt a team of 12 would dedicate the resources to design the net code for an event that will, in all likelihood, never occur.

Maybe it's super basic, like you can't actually interact with the other person, but can see that their ship is parked or something.

I'm assuming it's something like this, I doubt that there will even be Journey levels of interaction.

jwk94

I don't see why it would. It barely has a multiplayer to speak of.

Multiplayer = Journey-ish.

Except a LOT less possible. A LOOOOOOOT
That's a really bad comparison. Journey was designed so that you met at least one or more people I'm each level and going through the game together enhanced the experience.

nikos

There's no point of playing this game offline, IMO. You make no contribution to the game and the possibility of seeing another human player; probably the most exciting thing that could ever happen in the game, no matter how low the chances, would never happen.

It's good that PS+ isn't required, for those who don't have it, though.

kaiju

Awesome news! I had a $17.99 credit in the PS store saved for when NMS came out (3 month PS+ sub), now I'll just use it to get Hyper Light Drifter. Yay.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is a first I think for the PS4 platform?

Normally its F2P games that dont need Plus for multi player on PS4.

vix

While i like some things being vague when it come to this game, there are other things they need to come out and just say once and for all. Because everything we have to go on as far as multiplayer is from a couple of years ago I believe.

I personally think the mp is more along the lines of journey but even more sparse in seeing anyone. It's a single player game with the chance of passing people at some point...maybe? See below...

But at the same time, if we're all going to the center we should see people at some point, I would think.

I can't say that I even want mp at this point though, because I just want to play it already. Maybe in the long run, they'll add something. Maybe mp is the surprise at the center, who knows.

Edit: damn this is moving fast at the moment. Heh.

If it's so unlikely to happen then they can't possibly realistically test it works in the wild. Sounds like a great opportunity for hackers on PC though.

Scizzy

They talk a lot about how you're incredibly unlikely to ever see anyone, but isn't the goal to get to the center of the universe? Isn't it likely that the area around the center is going to always be packed with players coming from every direction? Or am I misunderstanding something about the game/universe?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

As others have said, the latter...

However, I do hope someone, eventually sees another player, since wasn't it once said, how you look, is a mystery until you if ever see another player?

Also there is this from a couple of years ago...

“We are going to have a way for players to communicate with each other. Maybe leave messages and things like that on planets. I don’t know if it will represent that. Let’s not get into loads of detail, but you can say that we’re going to have a way for players to communicate with each other and leave little messages and things like that.

“[Discussing Terraria’s gravestones] It sounds like a small thing, but it’s so amazing. You walk around this world and then you’ve got all of these like silly stories that people have left.”

mnannola

I still am highly skeptical that they have actually put in the technical work required to make it so you can see and interact with other players in the game real time. This does nothing to reduce my skepticism.

Have they actually come out recently and said yes it's technically possible to see another player in game yet? As in "Yes we have the server / P2P infrastructure set up so if you are close to another player, our networking code will match you up and sync up your actions".

I still am highly skeptical that they have actually put in the technical work required to make it so you can see and interact with other players in the game real time. This does nothing to reduce my skepticism.

Have they actually come out recently and said yes it's technically possible to see another player in game yet? As in "Yes we have the server / P2P infrastructure set up so if you are close to another player, our networking code will match you up and sync up your actions".

They have said you can run into another player in game.

Haven't followed the game closely but in recent interviews it seemed like it was going to be more like the ghosts in dark souls, and remnants of other people's travel. But it wasn't specified if it was like a Spore like random distribution of user generated crap or a literal map of the planetary system.

jett

D-Member
The multiplayer in this game doesn't exist does it. It's just a massive lie.

Yeah I don't believe it exists either. As far as I know it's a statistical impossibility for two people to meet in this game. Why would anyone build or maintain multiplayer servers for that? Murray even said that in the case you "meet" another player, or see a player-controlled ship whizzing buy, the game won't even let you know if it's a real human a not an AI. Uh-huh.

Maybe a hacked PC version will allow players to test whether this is true or not.

mokeyjoe

Does anybody know if they ever plan to make it so you can team up? Finding mp info is a struggle seemingly.

They're playing down the multiplayer aspects, marketing it as a single player game as it's so hard to find anyone else in the vastness of space. You can see where your friends are though. It's more single player with some online additions like Demons' Souls, rather than proper co-op, although that may be somewhat possible it's difficult to achieve and there isn't any gameplay built around that side of things.

As I understand it anyway.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As others have said, the latter...

However, I do hope someone, eventually sees another player, since wasn't it once said, how you look, is a mystery until you if ever see another player?

Also there is this from a couple of years ago...

“We are going to have a way for players to communicate with each other. Maybe leave messages and things like that on planets. I don’t know if it will represent that. Let’s not get into loads of detail, but you can say that we’re going to have a way for players to communicate with each other and leave little messages and things like that.

“[Discussing Terraria’s gravestones] It sounds like a small thing, but it’s so amazing. You walk around this world and then you’ve got all of these like silly stories that people have left.”

Yes the gravestones can be hilarious. I think I even used them as markers to help me remember stuff, places, etc? Cant remember now. (you can edit gravestones.)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's the point in them putting Multiplayer anyway? seems like working the servers for no reason.

So you can discover worlds that have been already charted? As well as leave messages for other players on said world, etc.. (if that has not changed from past interviews).

mokeyjoe

What's the point in them putting Multiplayer anyway? seems like working the servers for no reason.

The single player is limited to an invisible mobile lobby with a limited number of potential players, it doesn't work like an MMO, more of a 'just in case people meet' sort of thing. Most of the multiplayer stuff is essentially assymetric.

Top Bottom