• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky Will Not Require PlayStation Plus

Which is a fucking shame.

Yeah. While I get it's kind of antithetical to the game's idea of being a lone explorer in the vastness of space, it sucks that there isn't at least a high level unlock that makes it so you can team up with friends and explore together. It's part of what made Minecraft so massively popular.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah. While I get it's kind of antithetical to the game's idea of being a lone explorer in the vastness of space, it sucks that there isn't at least a high level unlock that makes it so you can team up with friends and explore together. It's part of what made Minecraft so massively popular.

Hey, there is always DLC (or patches)... lol, ;)

It's going to be a marvelously interesting moment when someone finally does see another player

Agreed. Watch it happen in the first week by chance, lol. (I hope not, since it is one of the driving forces behind this.)
All but the "sync up your actions" part. IIRC, they even specifically said that you could encounter another player and not even know it was a player.

Oh, you will know it is me... I will be the one flying like a moron, and not acting like the NPC's, lol.

Crashing into shit, doing loops and circles, etc., lol.

I still am highly skeptical that they have actually put in the technical work required to make it so you can see and interact with other players in the game real time. This does nothing to reduce my skepticism.

Have they actually come out recently and said yes it's technically possible to see another player in game yet? As in "Yes we have the server / P2P infrastructure set up so if you are close to another player, our networking code will match you up and sync up your actions".

All but the "sync up your actions" part. IIRC, they even specifically said that you could encounter another player and not even know it was a player.

Cryoteck

Yeah I don't believe it exists either. As far as I know it's a statistical impossibility for two people to meet in this game. Why would anyone build or maintain multiplayer servers for that? Murray even said that in the case you "meet" another player, or see a player-controlled ship whizzing buy, the game won't even let you know if it's a real human a not an AI. Uh-huh.

Maybe a hacked PC version will allow players to test whether this is true or not.

Except as more people start heading towards the center the density of players will increase making it more likely for players to run into each other. What happens when that happens IDK.

pvpness

They're playing down the multiplayer aspects, marketing it as a single player game as it's so hard to find anyone else in the vastness of space. You can see where your friends are though. It's more single player with some online additions like Demons' Souls, rather than proper co-op, although that may be somewhat possible it's difficult to achieve and there isn't any gameplay built around that side of things.

As I understand it anyway.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it and my fingers crossed.

Except as more people start heading towards the center the density of players will increase making it more likely for players to run into each other. What happens when that happens IDK.

How wide is the center though? If it's one supermassive black hole surrounded by a couple hundred planets, sure. But what if they use "center" loosely and it's a cluster of galaxies in the center with hundreds of thousands of planets? Remember this universe has planets in the quintillions. Idk. I hope it's the former though, of course.

I'm surprised with this and to know that my Ps Plus has expired and Sony allow us to play Overwatch without a subscription.

Good job Sony!!!!

Even if every person who buys the game was on the same planet, they're big fucking planets. You could still end up never meeting anyone. And if speculation about the center of the starting galaxy leading to other galaxies is true, we'll be even more spread out in the "postgame".

RK9039

The multiplayer in this game doesn't exist does it. It's just a massive lie.

Yeah they keep banging on about how hard it's supposed to be to find people because the game is so big. But really it's just a simple yes or no question that they seem to be avoiding, can I see and fight other players if I can find them in this massive game?

Even if it's a no I wouldn't mind, I just wanted some answers.

LycanXIII

Michael Huber made a good point the other day. If the goal is to get to the center, wouldn't you eventually start getting closer and closer to other players? I know they claimed it would takr hundreds of years of something, but it'll happen sometime.

OmegaDL50

so all the discovered alien life goes to some wikipedia type of in game thing?

It's sort of like an online database.

Each player is credited for a specific discovery. I'll assume it's closer to something like a leaderboard which shows how many discovers and what specific discoveries a specific player makes out of the thousands or so folks that will be playing the game.

mokeyjoe

True, but how close is close?
We are talking about a play area 180 million times larger than our own galaxy with a player population of a few million, only a fraction of whom will be playing simultaneously.

(Based on estimated number of exoplanets)

So even if you're in the last 180 millionth fraction of the game, you're still dealing with a potential number of planets equalling the Milky Way.

Yeah they keep banging on about how hard it's supposed to be to find people because the game is so big. But really it's just a simple yes or no question that they seem to be avoiding, can I see and fight other players if I can find them in this massive game?

The game is listed and marketed as a single player game. Just treat it as such and stop worrying about any hypothetical MP scenarios.

Defenders incoming to say "c'mon where's your sense of adventure and mystery, let them leave some things unknown to discover as you explore, can you imagine if you hadn't known BUILDINGS were in the game and then you saw one and you went inside it? Wouldn't that be magical?"

RK9039

The game is listed and marketed as a single player game. Just treat it as such and stop worrying about any hypothetical MP scenarios.

Well there you go then, not sure why they kept avoiding answering that simple question and instead kept harping on about how unlikely it is to find players.

muteki

This is sort of where I'm at too, seems like if one were to hang around the "center" long enough an encounter would be inevitable, depending on how many people could possibly exist in the instance of the universe you are currently in.

How meaningful that would be without bare-bones multiplayer communication tools is probably minimal, but who knows.

if the game is a success i suppose implementing MP in a massive update is a possibility, probably they didnt want to spread to thin since they are a small dev team

mokeyjoe

Michael Huber made a good point the other day. If the goal is to get to the center, wouldn't you eventually start getting closer and closer to other players? I know they claimed it would takr hundreds of years of something, but it'll happen sometime.

If the centre is one planet, then yes. If it's an area larger than that it could be surrounded by billions of planets then no - the odds would still be miniscule. Until someone gets to whatever constitutes the centre then we don't know.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If the centre is one planet, then yes. If it's an area larger than that it could be surrounded by billions of planets then no - the odds would still be miniscule. Until someone gets to whatever constitutes the centre then we don't know.

Yeah, if something like our Milky Way is the 'center' it may not be as easy at it sounds.

Noobcraft

Yeah, if something like our Milky Way is the 'center' it may not be as easy at it sounds.
In Elite Dangerous it's about 26000 LY to the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy. In that game it takes ~20 hours to get there with a good ship. I gave up my journey last night after getting 1200LY in to upgrade my ship.

Lucifon

I'm pretty sure it's a no.

In fact the confusion of "what you do" and mixed info about the game stems from what I believe is not wanting to say "no" to questions but instead fluffing "no" into statements without much weight. I could be wrong.

Cmagus

Yeah it's a bit confusing because wasn't the whole thing about finding a planet supposed to be special and that there was potential for someone else to eventually find the planet you discovered?

Either way I'm still super excited for this game it needs to release now.

MaDKaT

True, but how close is close?
We are talking about a play area 180 million times larger than our own galaxy with a player population of a few million, only a fraction of whom will be playing simultaneously.

(Based on estimated number of exoplanets)

So even if you're in the last 180 millionth fraction of the game, you're still dealing with a potential number of planets equalling the Milky Way.

You can supposedly see where your friends are on the map. I dont believe there is a way to set a flag, marker or anything to navigate by but you know people will get creative on how to pinpoint friends and navigate to them. After all, we will all share the same map. Anyway, it is supposed to be 40-100 hours to the center. Maybe you get lucky and your friend spawns in the same quadrant, say 30 degrees off center to you, if you split the distance, maybe 10-25 hours to find each other. Outside of purposely finding another player, chances are you may never see anyone.

Trojan

A lot of people still aren't grasping how difficult it will be to find other players. There are 19 quintillion planets. 99% of them will never be visited, and if you explored each one for exactly one second it would take 5 billion years.

Basically, you won't find anyone randomly within the universe. Maybe a couple people will but that's it. Even if you have an exact location of someone else, getting fuel/technology to get there is going to be very difficult from the sounds of it.

ps3ud0

Im expecting no to to a shared experience though some form of async MP will exist from what weve seen.

I expect NMS2 to have something like co-op MP as theres probably just real thought needed to balance the game so that actually means something.

ps3ud0 8)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In Elite Dangerous it's about 26000 LY to the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy. In that game it takes ~20 hours to get there with a good ship. I gave up my journey last night after getting 1200LY in to upgrade my ship.

I am not talking, getting there, I am talking seeing someone if it is as massive as the example given.

We are now able to experience the iconic, sturdy and reliable PSN servers for free!

Is this a joke post or something? Has there been any issues as of late we are not aware of?

Zyae

There's no point of playing this game offline, IMO. You make no contribution to the game and the possibility of seeing another human player; probably the most exciting thing that could ever happen in the game, no matter how low the chances, would never happen.

It's good that PS+ isn't required, for those who don't have it, though.
The dev said you can't have any interaction with any players

Z3M0G

Nice, does that mean you can play this game offline?

It is an offline game with the option to connect and upload discoveries to server.

How does the multiplayer work? Can you get together with your friends like in most games or are you litterally just spawning a random place and never likely to ever see anyone else?

Please save yourself a lot of grief and confusion and look at this game as a single player experience that has no multiplayer. They have not even confirmed that the game has code to place two players in the same gaming space and interact with each other in any shape or form.

There was no open or closed beta. There was no load testing of online functionality at all, at least that involved the public. You can't release a multiplayer game these days without that.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

Do you have any idea what exploring together would entail? It'd be freaking tedious and not fun. What if your friend isn't playing at the same time you are? Either you'd have to wait in the same area for them, or they'd have to wait for you, or you could only play together or you're going to be spending so much time waiting for each other to catch up. For what? The knowledge you're near them? You'd be spending so much time just following each other. Can you explain how this enhances the game at all over two people in two completely different places talking about the different things they've discovered?

sometimes it can be refreshing to give a fuck what other games made popular.

theres plenty of recipes outthere that made Games popular...

You think they should also add Towers?

A lot of people still aren't grasping how difficult it will be to find other players. There are 19 quintillion planets. 99% of them will never be visited, and if you explored each one for exactly one second it would take 5 billion years.

Basically, you won't find anyone randomly within the universe. Maybe a couple people will but that's it. Even if you have an exact location of someone else, getting fuel/technology to get there is going to be very difficult from the sounds of it.

You're forgetting about the point already made by a bunch of others in the thread that all players are converging upon the same point, which is the primary goal of the game. Even if the center holds a planet-sized object of some sort, it seems unlikely that people wouldn't be able to find others at that point.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
You're forgetting about the point already made by a bunch of others in the thread that all players are converging upon the same point, which is the primary goal of the game. Even if the center holds a planet-sized object of some sort, it seems unlikely that people wouldn't be able to find others at that point.

From what Sean Murray has said, the idea of a few people who decide to to meet up nearby is possible, but it'd take a lot of work, and the chance of two people to accidentally run into each other is nearly impossible. But he's been careful to state not to expect MMO stuff of thousands or hundreds of people on a server. It sounds like things are set up to allow a few people who happen to be in the same place at the same time to interact. And best temporarily because the point is to travel.

People just play the damn game and when you finally get through your thick skulls how big this game is and you will never find each other even if you are on the SAME planet, imaging trying to find someone in the center of the universe even if there are a couple of million players flowing around in the center. Even if you are passing by each other, the game won't tell you so it's even more difficult to find each other in space then on a planet. Just play the game and enjoy what you have.

lewisgone

They still haven't officially said it was Multiplayer.
They talked about it really early on and never since then.

I get the feeling its not even in the game.
Am I crazy?

I get this impression as well. Until we see gameplay we won't know. I just find it unrealistic that they would bother coding proper multiplayer and then make it a very rare event.

Top Bottom