• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky Will Not Require PlayStation Plus

I still think once you reach the actual galactic center and there are only like, 10 systems around, there will be a lot of people that you can hang around with.

Just a gut feeling.

if its super rare to encounter other players it seems like it would be hard to prove that there actually is functioning multiplayer. the game sounds like it needs a huge player-base, should have been a PS+ title.
The scale they're talking about.. it seems like you could make the game free to everyone on the planet and you'd still struggle to find someone in the right place at the right time.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This isn't correct. You don't need PS+ to play Destiny and interact with other players in the open world and public events (for instance).

You only need it for matchmaking, vs and co-op. Mingleplayer does not require PS+, but strikes, raids, crucible and the like do require it.
Well this is interesting.

Seems like that asterisk for needing Plus for multi player keeps getting games added to it.

Some saying if you don't need Plus it must not have multi player...I did just post that F2P games on PS4 don't need Plus.

Lace

Assuming plus is still listed on the requirement, how I see it working is multiplayer will only occur if you have PS plus but all other online functionalities will work without it. Personally I feel like they haven't added any multiplayer in an enjoyable way. It might exist but it likely isn't well developed. That isn't their focus and I'm okay with that.

Noobcraft

How I see it working is multiplayer matchmaking will only occur if you have PS plus but all other online functionalities will work without it. Personally I feel like they haven't added any multiplayer in an enjoyable way. It might exist but it likely isn't well developed. That isn't their focus and I'm okay with that.
I could be wrong, but I don't think any interactions were available in Bloodborne (no notes, phantoms, etc) without PS+. I don't recall seeing any when I played it. I think it's on a game by game basis.

Yukinari

Feel like if you dont play this game online and archive all your discoveries youd be wasting time. The point of the game is to discover things/craft/trade right? Im sure a lot of people will play this game offline but the online interaction is a big part of it.

Raymo

For those of you who think it is possible to meet other people in the game:

Is it going to affect your enthusiasm for the game if it turns out that it is not possible AT ALL to meet up with others in the game in any form?

Some saying if you don't need Plus it must not have multi player...I did just post that F2P games on PS4 don't need Plus.
Yep. The way I understand it you only need PS+ for matchmaking and invite based multiplayer in pay-to-play games. Free to play games, mingleplayer, asynchronous multiplayer and couch co-op don't require it.

MaDKaT

For those of you who think it is possible to meet other people in the game:

Is it going to affect your enthusiasm for the game if it turns out that it is not possible AT ALL to meet up with others in the game in any form?

Not in the slightest. But since it is possible to encounter real players, however slim, then there is a chance to find your friend. Even if that means each of you are screen-capping the galaxy map and lining up the stars to figure out where each of you are. Granted after however much work and however many many hours, you may find out you can't do much but take a picture for forum glory.

Recently they have said this? As in they already had the functionality working when they said it? Everything I have seen was way back when they were talking about things they would like to do.

They have said you can run into people in the game. And you might not even recognize them as other people because of AI that inhabits the game. Plus the fact that you don't even know what another player looks like at first glance.

MaDKaT

They have said you can run into people in the game. And you might not even recognize them as other people because of AI that inhabits the game. Plus the fact that you don't even know what another player looks like at first glance.

Oh yeah. Forgot they used an example of seeing a npc ship in a squadron that wasn't behaving like an NPC. Would be really funny if you and a pal do tons of work to meet on a planet and you see each other as local wildlife.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The outrage if this comes to transpire after 3 years of hype will be insane.

People knock the joke around Spore comparisons, citing that Hello Games haven't made promises that they are not set to deliver on but many here actually believe this to be the case now.
What are you talking about?

The outrage if this comes to transpire after 3 years of hype will be insane.

People knock the joke around Spore comparisons, citing that Hello Games haven't made promises that they are not set to deliver on but many here actually believe this to be the case now.

They've been transparent about what the multiplayer is going to be since the game was first showcased.

Kuraudo

Banned
No, I assume that this is an extremely ambitious claim by a developer that is, what, 10 people or something like that?

It's not an ambitious claim at all. The multiplayer is similar to Journey, which was developed by a team of less than twenty people (about the same size as Hello Games). If SFV can apparently get away with only one guy working on netcode, there's no reason a small developer can't implement multiplayer with their limited manpower.

Plus what benefit would they have in lying about it? They're not selling the game on its multiplayer features. If they were, they'd be offering something more traditional.

c0Zm1c

Maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard, but what's stopping the devs of No Man Sky to make these incredibly lofty claims about the size of the world and how everyone is playing together even though you may not ever see anyone else, bUT actually just make the game SP? I mean, you'd never know, if you could never run across someone else, right? Have there ever been any multiplayer videos? How about just a single video where they even ran across another player?

I guess I just don't buy it...

It won't be long after the game is out before that has been tested. Even though the distances are so vast I'm sure there will be dedicated players that will manage to reach the same position in the game, and then will we know for sure.

That would be very stupid, surely there's a drop-in system or whatever? I can hardly imagine trying to play multiplayer with friends with random spawn points in the theoretically sheer limitless world.

It's not meant to team up with people. They've been pretty open about this and referencing Journey from almost the jump. The information has been out there. It's meant to be a very isolated experience where running into other explorers is a rarity. Hence why it does not require PS+. It's a very, very limited "multiplayer" experience.

RiverKwai

That would be very stupid, surely there's a drop-in system or whatever? I can hardly imagine trying to play multiplayer with friends with random spawn points in the theoretically sheer limitless world.

That's why, since the very beginning of knowing anything about the game, Sean has said multiple times that this isn't that kind of multiplayer game. :)

It's not a Co op or pvp game. At all.

but I thought we would all meet at the centre of the galaxy

episode-8-see-you-space-cowboy.jpg

Good stuff my PS+ will be expiring soon in August and unless Sony gives me a reason to keep paying (ie good PS+ games) than I do t see the point.

Zomba13

I liked the theory I heard that maybe you'll start seeing other actual players the closer you get to the centre of the universe/galaxy. That as it is the goal of the game, and one of the few universal objectives, everyone will be trying to get there, and maybe the closer to the centre, the closer together planets are or something and there is the higher chance of finding other real people, of the centre is some kind of universal/galactic hub.

androvsky

It's not meant to team up with people. They've been pretty open about this and referencing Journey from almost the jump. The information has been out there. It's meant to be a very isolated experience where running into other explorers is a rarity. Hence why it does not require PS+. It's a very, very limited "multiplayer" experience.

Even from the very beginning there's been a squadron that follows the player around, you can see them in the earliest trailers. I was never particularly fond of that aspect and was happy when it seemed to go away in newer trailers, but you still see them from time to time. It seems like it'd be relatively easy to make it so you can drop into someone else's squadron and just follow them around in space for a while, even if you don't get any resources for it and it's not really part of your regular game. You'd just be filling in for the AI in the NPC squadron. That might be closer to what Sean was hinting at with a more traditional multiplayer that he was thinking about adding later.

Despera

Banned
So is there an actual shared "center of the universe" that players can meet at? I feel like there's a catch here.

I remember Sean saying something like most players won't encounter any other player in their entire playthrough.

lewisgone

Is your avatar really from Death wish 3? Right after he tells Charles Bronson, "Bet me!" and just before he's blow through a building with the rocket launcher Bronson had hiding behind his back? That movie is exquisite.

Yes it is haha, one of my all time favourite movies. Makes my day whenever someone notices, so thanks.

vix

I feel like the purposefully vague answers Sean has given over the years may come back to haunt him. :/. I just want this game to do well. And I would love the drama around it to go away but I feel like that might never happen.

I feel like the purposefully vague answers Sean has given over the years may come back to haunt him. :/. I just want this game to do well. And I would love the drama around it to go away but I feel like that might never happen.

What has he been vague about?

PulseONE

They did mention that you could travel to a planet discovered by someone else using it's seed coordinates assuming you had a good enough hyperdrive and enough fuel.

Assuming there is a system in the game which allows you to go to other players' co-ordinates, that's a different story of course, then the chance is much higher

Also would make it much sadder that changes aren't permanent, you could have had popular hub planets (Planet GAF with a huge crater making the planet look like the logo for instance XD)

People keep saying they've been vague and dodgy but they've been quite upfront about multiplayer. No you cannot meet your friends. No you won't be Chewy and Han flying along completing the journey to the center together in less than 12 parsecs. Yes you can see other players. Don't ever expect to. Treat it as singleplayer. Don't get your hopes up. It will most likely not happen. If you ever do run into another player you will probably not even know unless they fly erratically or something. If you and your friend do manage to be at the exact same location in the universe no there is no guarantee that you'll exist in the same instance. Abandon hope all ye who play.

legacyzero

Banned
I don't see why it would. It barely has a multiplayer to speak of.

That's a really bad comparison. Journey was designed so that you met at least one or more people I'm each level and going through the game together enhanced the experience.
I said Journey-ISH :p

Top Bottom