• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U is now the best selling Super Smash Bros game

Ryng_tolu

Banned
From the last Nintendo quarter:

Super Smash Bros - 5,550,000
Super Smash Bros Melee - 7,410,000
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 13,100,000
Super Smash Bros 4 - 13,130,000 (8.23m 3DS / 4.90m Wii U)

690jFYt3.jpg

Source

3DS has close to six times the install base but doesn't even sell twice the Wii U amount.

They're even closer in North America.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
But why take two games and consider them to be the same game? Smash Wii U is the worst selling Smash game and Smash 3DS is the second best selling Smash game behind Brawl. Personally, I think the two games are different enough to be considered separate in this regard, but to each his/her own.

Edit: Alright, alright I'm convinced! They are fine as two versions of the same game.

jblank83

3DS has close to six times the install base but doesn't even sell twice the Wii U amount.

Install base is an overweighted factor when considering sales potential.

It's no surprise the handheld version struggled to outsell the console version on a user:user basis.

But why take two games and consider them to be the same game? Smash Wii U is the worst selling Smash game and Smash 3DS is the second best selling Smash game behind Brawl. Personally, I think the two games are different enough to be considered separate in this regard, but to each his/her own.

People consider them two halves of the same game because they were developed at the same time by the same team.

They both receive the same downloadable content and balance updates. They play very similar to the point where I have no problems considering them two different versions of the same game.

SalvaPot

They are essentially the same game.

But you could easily argue that there is a lot of double dippers in those numbers.

And then the DLC.

And the Amiibos.

This game made Nintendo lots of Money.

Salamando

To count them separate would be disingenuous as well, as they surely affected each others sales. Number of people who bought both has to be less than people who bought the 3DS version and ignored the Wii U version.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
They both receive the same downloadable content and balance updates. They play very similar to the point where I have no problems considering them two different versions of the same game.

I see your point and I'll accept that, didn't even think about the downloadable content.

random25

They are developed with shared resources (teams, manpower, budget, updates). Same roster, same parity (see Ice Climbers Saga), same DLCs with very few exceptions, same character data, almost practically the same release timeline.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless I still think the 3DS version ALONE surpassing Melee was pretty awesome. Factoring in Wii U sales, the 1st place in sales is well deserved.

Oberon

Banned
Bought both versions at launch, no regrets.
I am still hoping a "complete version " with both 3ds and Wiiu content (and all the DLC).
Btw,since it has beaten brawl, is it now the best selling fighting game?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
And people wonder why Nintendo wanna focus on portable in the future.

lol

Eh, I dunno.

It seems like the number would be inflated quite a lot by people buying both versions when compared to the single console games prior. I'm not sure just adding the numbers together is completely fair.

N.Grim

Eh, I dunno.

It seems like the number would be inflated quite a lot by people buying both versions when compared to the single console games prior. I'm not sure just adding the numbers together is completely fair.
It's fair, just like when we do this with multiplat games

And people wonder why Nintendo wanna focus on portable in the future.

This is a random statement to make here, when this particular topic doesn't really do anything to support your argument. The 3DS version sold better then the N64, GameCube, and Wii U versions, yeah, but the 3DS itself sold better than the N64, GameCube, and Wii U. The GameCube and Wii U versions also have much higher attach rates. If your argument is simply that Nintendo's handhelds have sold more units than their consoles, fine... but that's not what this topic is about, making this comment inappropriate for the topic at hand...

It's fair, just like when we do this with multiplat games

It's generally pretty rare for people to buy Xbox One, PS4, and PC versions of the same game though, so this is kind of an apples to oranges situation.

Regardless, sales are sales, so yeah, it's fair enough.

random25

Eh, I dunno.

Well that's the nature of multiplats. Besides it took quite a while for Brawl to reach those numbers, so to eclipse Brawl in a much shorter time frame is quite a feat for the franchise overall.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Brawl did less while having the biggest userbase available for a Smash game with around 100m Wiis sold. Factor in DLC/Amiibo sales as well as the upcoming GotY NX release and it just shows what kind of success Smash 4 really is. Impressive.
This is a random statement to make here, when this particular topic doesn't really do anything special to support your argument. The 3DS version sold better then the N64, GameCube, and Wii U versions, yeah, but the 3DS itself sold better than the N64, GameCube, and Wii U. If your argument is exactly that, that Nintendo's handhelds have sold more units than their consoles, fine... but that's not what this topic is about, making this comment inappropriate for the topic at hand...

At the end of the day - NSMB, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Smash, Kirby and co. all sold better on the handheld compared to the console versions. Its not the 3DS or the markets fault that people dont pick up Nintendos homesystems as much. Obv. their are reasons for that....but every WiiU exclusive game this gen that wasnt on 3DS meant more or less lost sales for them.

Splatoon for example was already quite big on WiiU - it would have been even been even bigger if the game could have run on 3DS as well and supported cross-coop. Same for Mario Maker and. Co. With every solid selling WiiU title Nintendo must have thought....but...

So no its not really a random statement when the portable version of Smash outsold the "main" version especially considering how many people claimed no one would pick this up since Smash is a big screen, couch multiplayer experience first.

Interesting that according to Nintendo not only did Smash Wii U DLC outsell 3DS in total sales but so did Mario Kart 8 DLC.

I wonder if 3DS may have overtaken MK8?

random25

Interesting that according to Nintendo not only did Smash Wii U DLC outsell 3DS in total sales but so did Mario Kart 8 DLC.

I wonder if 3DS may have overtaken MK8?

Well, there's a gazillion more DLCs in Smash than MK8, so that makes sense. Plus, people seem to be more obsessed in completing a character roster in a dedicated Smash community than adding racing courses in a pretty loose Mario Kart community.

N.Grim

This is a random statement to make here, when this particular topic doesn't really do anything to support your argument. The 3DS version sold better then the N64, GameCube, and Wii U versions, yeah, but the 3DS itself sold better than the N64, GameCube, and Wii U. The GameCube and Wii U versions also have much higher attach rates. If your argument is simply that Nintendo's handhelds have sold more units than their consoles, fine... but that's not what this topic is about, making this comment inappropriate for the topic at hand...

It's generally pretty rare for people to buy Xbox One, PS4, and PC versions of the same game though, so this is kind of an apples to oranges situation.

Regardless, sales are sales, so yeah, it's fair enough.

We do this with GTA V and Minecraft, also I don't think many people bought both version

random25

Nah. From that perspective It's not really news at all yet. 'multiplatform game outsells system exclsuives' is such non news.

It's more about the chances of inflated sales. Games existing on multiple hardware means there's always a chance for "double-dipping", thus increasing the sales no matter how big even if the userbase didn't move in 1:1 ratio. Regardless, sales numbers is all that matters anyway, and again it took quite a while for Brawl to reach 13m so Smash 4 combined reaching that milestone in a much shorter time frame is quite a feat in itself.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Took longer than I expected honestly. I actually thought the 3DS version alone would have beat Brawl.

How.
The Wii was one hell of a beast in terms of HW sales and Nintendo SW sales.
It took definetely not that long for the 3DS version to pass the Wii one in Japan, the only market that could be seen as a 3DS land over the Wii.

The 3DS version definitely isn't.

it clearly is the best portable episode

/jk

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Great job, Nintendo, Namco-Bandai, Sakurai and Smash team! :D

Uv8sGsL.gif

Good game with an amazing roster

Yep, I'm crossing my fingers for Inkling because they are going to make the roster even much better. I meant the roster is already amazing as it is for me at least. Cloud, Ryu, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Dark Pit, Bayonetta, Roy, and many more.

I wonder how much the DLC sold.

Same here. I really want to know the numbers on that.

Wait until the NX version is released. That's going to be even more money.

Yep, if Smash NX is going to have new contents so I wonder how many sales they would potentially reach with extra contents.

If not, then I'm still curious about the sale results as well.

And now Daddy Sakurai is working on a third version of Smash 4 for NX that will be the best one ever

Smash 4 is already best for me but for fandom, there is no way that the game could make everyone happy but I hope that Sakurai would continue to surprise us with the characters. Like Snake, Inkling, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Rhythm Heaven, etc.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Especially impressive considering that Brawl was helped by the release of Project M.

Neoxon

While I've made it clear that Smash 4 is only my 2nd favorite Smash game (the top honor still belongs to Melee for me), the fact that I have it as my 2nd favorite does show that I do enjoy the game a lot. Congrats to Sakurai & the guys at Bandai Namco for their success, & I look forward to the (likely) NX port of the game.

Top Bottom