• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U is now the best selling Super Smash Bros game

kswiston

Anywone know where brawl was sitting at after the same amount of thime on the market (basically end of calendar year 2009)?

SSB for Wii U is the pinnacle of the series, boasting over 60 incredible characters and Roy, and even though I have some nitpicks I am EXTREMELY grateful to Sakurai and his team at Namco for their hard work. I got Bayonetta, Ryu, and friggin' CLOUD in a Smash Bros. game!

It paid off tremendously and the result is one of my favourite games ever. The 3DS version, while not my favourite - its sheer existence is pretty much a miracle, and I give it props for that. Completely deserved.

Cool. Let's hope the next game won't be gimped by the 3DS.

You've been keeping up with NX rumours? If they pay off, you won't need to worry.

Neoxon

SSB for Wii U is the pinnacle of the series, boasting over 60 incredible characters and Roy, and even though I have some nitpicks I am EXTREMELY grateful to Sakurai and his team at Namco for their hard work. I got Bayonetta, Ryu, and friggin' CLOUD in a Smash Bros. game!

It paid off tremendously and the result is one of my favourite games ever. The 3DS version, while not my favourite - its sheer existence is pretty much a miracle, and I give it props for that. Completely deserved.

You've been keeping up with NX rumours? If they pay off, there's no chance of that happening.
Under 60, actually. Smash 4 has 58 playable characters, & that's counting each of the Mii Fighters as their own characters.

Nice job. I also didn't realize Brawl got another million after the last time I checked its numbers, whoa.

Brawl and Mario Kart Wii have never stopped selling to my knowledge. It's pretty insane. They're still on store shelves today and people keep buying them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
One of my favourite games of all time, well deserved. I even play the 3DS quite often on my commute. I just both had the full stage roster and there were no exclusive stages. Looking forward to the rumoured NX version a ton.

Griss

I have mixed feelings about a lot of elements of the new Smash Bros but I can't deny that at its core it's a fantastic game.

Glad to see the Wii U version perform so strongly against the 3DS version. I love my n3DS, but thought that the hardware just wasn't good enough to make Smash enjoyable. Was very glad I waited two months until I could get it on Wii U. It's a gorgeous, buttery-smooth game there.

ar4757

I know SSB4 is better than Brawl but I'm surprised it beat Brawl tbh

Then again there were definitely some double-dippers this time

Suck it melee, you fun but overrated piece of software!

giphy.gif

(this image never gets old)

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Well deserved sales for the best Smash thus far!

Now if the NX version has its own SSE like Brawl it will be the GOAT.

And 2nd best selling fighting game franchise ever. Impressive with just five games in the series (well 4 if we are being technical).

Well take 1st eventually but Takken 7 is going to delay that

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I will never leave my house if this happens.

Me neither. SSE was so much fun.

Something like SSE is a big undertaking. I could see us getting a few new characters and such but not a big story mode like that.

The NX port needs something to make it sell. All the extra content from 3DS and Wii U won't suffice alone. I think having that mode will be a great way to grab additional attention and lead to more buyers.

Me neither. SSE was so much fun.

The NX version needs something to make it sell. All the extra content from 3DS and Wii U won't suffice alone. I think having that mode will be a great way to grab additional attention and lead to more buyers.

Maybe not SSE, but I would totally be down for a Melee-esque Adventure Mode. That was great enough, but now just think of all the universes that've been added since that can get their own level.

The NX port needs something to make it sell. .

Of course. And a much more effective and resourceful way of doing so is adding more characters. Characters are what get people the most excited regarding Smash.

A new singleplayer mode would be nice I guess, but ultimately Smash is a multiplayer experience. I'd rather see that aspect be polished as it could possibly be, whether it be adding new fighters, balancing them out, giving us more options for online play, etc.

I own it on the 3DS and owned it on the Wii U (sold it since I played it barely any compared to the 3DS version) and I'll buy it again if we get a GOTY edition for the NX with all the DLC (and modes from each version, hopefully) included.

I own it on the 3DS and owned it on the Wii U (sold it since I played it barely any compared to the 3DS version) and I'll buy it again if we get a GOTY edition for the NX with all the DLC (and modes from each version, hopefully) included.

Now that you mentioned it, I actually would like to see Smash Run brought over. I'd honestly take that over SSE.

Kinda the same thing except condensed down into five minutes, except there's at least actual enemies from Nintendo (and third party) series. Let us interact with each other on the map (like in Air Ride), give us more options like the amount of time or the final battle at the end, and hell throw in some enemies from Final Fantasy and Bayonetta. That'd be sweet.

if inklings are playable put in an octotrooper

Daouzin

With an NX port it will easily surpass 20 million. I don't think they should rush the port. They are better off releasing Melee HD or a VC Melee before the port, then they can use their marketing blitz for the Smash NX port.

I would hate to see a half assed Smash 4 port come out. So they might as well release a Melee HD while they do the final polishing up.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
People will hate me, but to be fair, i think is worse than melee and Brawl :p better than 64 though...

Imo:

Melee > Brawl > U > 64 > 3DS

AdanVC

So glad it has sold pretty well even though I suck at this game and I haven't played it in months but I purchase it since day one with a bunch of amiibo.

GenG3000

I play both versions regularly. Despite being the "same game", each one meets different needs and agendas. I'm glad the two of them exist.

It was a bold move coming from Nintendo and Sakurai but it payed off in the end.

keero16

Neo Member
This game would be my favorite Smash if it wasn't for the mediocre single player. Classic isn't really classic (especially for the Wii U version. 3DS has a better classic at least) and there isn't really an Adventure Mode which was very disappointing for me.

I love the mechanics and the roster though. It's the best roster for a fighting/crossover game I've ever seen. Not quite perfect (needs Snake and Bomberman imo) but as close to perfect as I think a video game will ever get.

Now hurry up and release the Cloud amiibo

Neoxon

This game would be my favorite Smash if it wasn't for the mediocre single player. Classic isn't really classic and there isn't really an Adventure Mode which was very disappointing for me.

I love the mechanics and the roster though. It's the best roster for a fighting/crossover game I've ever seen. Not quite perfect (needs Snake and Bomberman imo) but as close to perfect as I think a video game will ever get.

Now hurry up and release the Cloud amiibo
We'll likely be waiting 7+ months for the Cloud Amiibo at this rate (which is a shame, really).

I'm happy it sold a lot. Cannot wait for the NX port!

I wish they would create more DLC for this game - stages, characters, music, and all. This is the only game I bought every single piece of DLC for and will continue to do so if they put out more.

random25

Is Smash the best selling fighting game series or does MK or SF beat it?

As a franchise I believe Tekken beats Smash in numbers. I can't remember where but I've seen the total Tekken sales to be a million or two short of 50m, or maybe around 45m, but that's probably the ballpark of its current numbers. Smash in total is around 40m currently.

I want another Subspace Emissary mode for NX.

Just give me side-scrolling levels with enemies from various franchises and a stupid story that brings all the characters togeth.

Top Bottom