• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Slain 2 concept art

cpnom_4uaaebgkml2rcd.gif

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/762039229836779520

credit to lashman for rt

looks great. haven't played a ton of he first game yet but enjoyed what I've played of BFH

nOoblet16

Uh another one of those "retro inspired" games. Make a beautiful looking game, then pixelise the hell out of everything for retro feel rather than actually making pixel art. I doubt anything would have been lost in terms of art if the game wasn't pixelised in this game's case. I wonder if they realise that retro games didn't really looked pixalised due to the way the art was meant to be displayed on a CRT.

I'll pass on this one. The quality of the art in Slain is certainly very good and the highlight of the game but the game play is really uninspired and repetitive even after the big fix update. Probably the most disappointing game I have kickstarted.

nOoblet16

quality post buddy keep it up

It's a valid criticism and I made it while explaining my point rather than just a one liner.
Not sure your sarcasm is necessary here, or do you really only expect positive comments? I'm sure you wouldn't have had a problem with the quality of my post if I had just wrote a vague comment like "Looks amazing", but if I make a criticism I raise eyebrows.

I don't doubt the game is fun to play, but that's not really what I am discussing here now am I?

Uh another one of those "retro inspired" games. Make a beautiful looking game, then pixelise the hell out of everything for retro feel rather than actually making pixel art. I doubt anything would have been lost in terms of art if the game wasn't pixelised in this game's case. I wonder if they realise that retro games didn't really looked pixalised due to the way the art was meant to be displayed on a CRT.

Uh, do you think they just used a pixelize filter in Photoshop or something? Congrats, worst post of the week award.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I do think it's a little unusual to show concept art for the second game when the first game still hasn't turned it around. I understand that the patch does this, but it's going to take a while for its effects to percolate through the community. Personally, I'd work on the second game in silence, put the first game in some promotions and bundles, try to get media to cover the patch as a reboot of the game, get a sob story article about how the initial release was bad but now it's great because everyone worked hard, and then announce the second game when it's clear everyone likes the first game so you can ride on the momentum.

It's a valid criticism and I made it while explaining my point rather than just a one liner.
Not sure your sarcasm is necessary here, or do you really only expect positive comments? I'm sure you wouldn't have had a problem with the quality of my post if I had just wrote a vague comment like "Looks amazing", but if I make a criticism I raise eyebrows.

I don't doubt the game is fun to play, but that's not really what I am discussing here now am I?

I don't see how "they made beautiful art than pixelated it, going for a retro feel, etc" is genuine criticism. I'm pretty sure the art is designed from the ground up like that. I could see that being the case if they made some beautiful hand drawn art and traced over it as sprites.

retroman

Uh another one of those "retro inspired" games. Make a beautiful looking game, then pixelise the hell out of everything for retro feel rather than actually making pixel art.

Wait, I'm confused. Are you implying the art style wasn't pixel art to begin with, but "converted" to it by lowering the resolution or using a filter or something?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I do think it's a little unusual to show concept art for the second game when the first game still hasn't turned it around. I understand that the patch does this, but it's going to take a while for its effects to percolate through the community. Personally, I'd work on the second game in silence, put the first game in some promotions and bundles, try to get media to cover the patch as a reboot of the game, get a sob story article about how the initial release was bad but now it's great because everyone worked hard, and then announce the second game when it's clear everyone likes the first game so you can ride on the momentum.

Nah. Its the beginning of the process, so there's lots of time to factor in feedback and respond (before the follow-up hits the market). Besides, the people involved in creating concept art aren't especially likely to be instrumental in the post-release phase, different responsibilities and all that.

Is the first game even fixed yet? It was trash on release with many issues.

It's pretty damn good now.
Mind you, I never played the original version, but I had a blast playing through Back to Hell. And the developers are still hard at work: I posted about a handful of annoyances, plus one way in which you could accidentally break a certain boss-fight, and most of those were fixed mere days later.

But it's still the kind of game where you have to be willing to try over and over again, dying over and over again, until you've raised yourself up to the point where you can push past the current challenge. Don't expect an easy time playing Slain, even in the fixed form.

EDIT:
Per Steam user reviews:
86% of the 79 user reviews in the last 30 days are positive.

I may be missing some key information here but what makes you think that the game was made the way you are describing?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm still waiting for the vita version of the first slain lol.

The concept art looks good and cleaner(higher res?) compared to slain 1 but for some reason i prefer the look of slain 1, but slain passed from this
YF83Mt5.jpg

to this
dd_1.png

so i'm more than optimistic that slain 2 will look even more awesome than slain 1.

Joco

Did the first game come to consoles already? I backed it on Kickstarter but admittedly haven't been following the game's development closely.

Top Bottom