• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR Confirmed for PlayStation VR, Out This Year

Loudninja

Caution dont buy without these! ;)
28949204711_a13e46735c.jpg

lol @ "You'll need these".

While we normally like to keep everyone in the Driveclub community up to speed on any developments, we’ve had to keep this one under the hood… until now. So before Gamescom 2016 kicks-off and you have the chance to get hands on with the game, we’re very proud to officially announce that Driveclub VR is launching in 2016 exclusively on PlayStation VR.
We’ve been working tirelessly on Driveclub VR for more than a year now, to bring you the definitive and most immersive Driveclub experience possible.

We’re passionate about trying to create the most memorable and exhilarating gaming experiences possible, so being given the opportunity to take Driveclub to a more immersive level thanks to VR is really thrilling.

This not only allows players to truly feel the incredible speed, sensation, and precision of driving some of the world’s most exotic high-performance cars, but also the chance to race against or with one another in a completely new way.

• Game modes: Online virtual reality multiplayer race modes and an action-packed single player career are joined by drifting and time trial challenges.
  • Tracks: New and classic Driveclub tracks are brought to life through the power of PlayStation VR, including five all-new Urban locations.
  • A closer look: More than 80 cars are recreated with immaculate detail for players to explore up close with Inspection Mode.
  • Cruise control: A little time to kick back, open the throttle or just coast and explore any track, in any country at your leisure in Cruise Mode.
  • Virtual passenger: An immersive thrill ride through exciting replays of hot laps as players watch themselves handle their greatest challenges from a unique viewpoint in Passenger Mode.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/16/driveclub-vr-confirmed-for-playstation-vr-out-this-year/

MattyG

Banned
So is this a full game with all the old tracks plus new ones, or just a small experience with a handful of tracks?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I dont think this is something you can just patch in though.

Yeah for GT sport atleast.

If a large download is acceptable they could patch it in, as long as the VR optimised engine can also run the original graphics and levels in their original quality else yeah the download size would be bigger maybe too big... but then again the engine/actual executable code part of the download is possibly not that large so you could duplicate it.

MattyG

Banned
It's in the OP
I read that, I'm more wondering about if this is going to be a full retail title or what. "Single player" could mean any amount of tracks, large or small. I'm hoping that we get all or almost all of the old ones.

Edit: Oh shit, it is retail it looks like. Maybe it will have a lot of tracks and locations. Huh. Do we know who's developing this?
RIP Evolution.

Griss

Damn, I was under the impression that this would be DLC.

Sounds great though. Good additions to a wonderful base game. I really need to demo VR one of these days. Unlikely, given where I live right now. If I had a set shipped in I'd quite possibly be the first person in this country to get one, lol.

I think this might be one of the games best illustrating the power differences between vanilla PS4 and Neo. Looking forward to playing it!

Oh, how did I missed that.
It's going to be weird playing this with a controller, break the immersion.

I've got my G29 and shifter ready!

Although sadly Driveclub was a game that wasn't enhanced by a wheel in my experience, where as Project Cars a wheel was almost mandatory.

5taquitos

I read that, I'm more wondering about if this is going to be a full retail title or what. "Single player" could mean any amount of tracks, large or small. I'm hoping that we get all or almost all of the old ones.

Edit: Oh shit, it is retail it looks like. Maybe it will have a lot of tracks and locations. Huh. Do we know who's developing this?
RIP Evolution.

There's a quote from Rushy (DC producer) in another thread which I can't track down stating that Evolution is the only company that has worked on Driveclub VR.

That's likely the reason that they couldn't talk about the game until now, as they probably had some ex-Evolution staff finishing it up.

Day 1! Drive club is the best racing game on the ps4, and to play in VR.

Can't wait for the passenger mode, be a very interesting to demo on folk

xrnzaaas

Cruise and Passenger modes seem like a good way to sell people on the idea of PSVR. I'll definitely check them out if my local game stores will be displaying Driveclub VR near Christmas time. :)

Damn! with my eyes set on Ps4 Neo I can't buy PSVR anytime soon. This PSVR version sounds awesome. All the things we've been asking Evo to patch into the OG Driveclub such as that inspection mode are in the Psvr version. Oh well I'll just wait until I can afford psvr.

Chris_C

First comment on the PS Blog is EXACTLY what I was going to reply with. I mean, I know who worked on the game, and I understand why studios get closed (Evo has reportedly been on the brink since Motorstorm) but that PS blog post does read a little silly.

While we normally like to keep everyone in the Driveclub community up to speed on any developments, we’ve had to keep this one under the hood… until now.

Why open with this? We know you haven't been keeping us up to speed because we've known about this game for a while now, you just haven't confirmed it. (Unpunny puns).

We’ve been working tirelessly on Driveclub VR for more than a year now

We who? SIE Immersive Technology Group? Because I swear Evo worked on this.

vivftp

I wonder how much detail is preserved from the vehicles in the original game. I didn't play DC much but I recall statements that they modelled cars down to the specific screw heads. I hope that level of detail is still here as I would love to experience it in VR. Day 1 purchase for me

Virtual passenger is such a clever idea for VR, and something I've always wanted.

I want that feature in other games, and possibly supporting more than one headset (not on PSVR, of course).

Can't wait to play DC in VR.

Superfrog

I wonder how much detail is preserved from the vehicles in the original game. I didn't play DC much but I recall statements that they modelled cars down to the specific screw heads. I hope that level of detail is still here as I would love to experience it in VR. Day 1 purchase for me

I'm wondering about the framerate of this. Locked 30 fps like the original is not going to work in VR by a large margin. There has to be a significant graphical downgrade in order to achieve this on current PS4 consoles (i.e. excluding Neo here).

Also, not offering the new tracks as DLC for existing DC owners would be incredibly stupid.

DavidDesu

Inspection mode! Woo. I'm glad they're actually utilising VR for interesting new things rather than just bolting on VR views during racing and leaving it at that. Really cool.

Top Bottom