• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata announced for PC, game shipping Early 2017 on both platforms

I'm really happy that this is the case. More mid and AAA tier Japanese games heading for PC is a good thing. I wish the original Nier were on steam as well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Sweet. Now this I get can behind. Thank you Square Enix and Platinum.

oSoLucky

Never realized this many people wanted to buy a PS4 just for this game. Good news for those I guess. I'll still probably get on PS4. I agree that a port of the first game is needed. I don't think it's on PSNow and I don't have a PS3 anymore so it would be nice to have a way to play it. Could maybe get a cheap 4gb 360.

FelipeMGM

Press release, and yeah its day one on PC (at least that what it sounds from PR)

NieR: Automata™, the upcoming action-RPG from SQUARE ENIX® and PlatinumGames Inc, will launch on STEAM® for PC as well as the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system in early 2017. The highly anticipated follow up to the 2010 cult-classic NIER®, NieR: Automata tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2 and their battle to reclaim a machine-driven dystopia overrun by powerful weapons known as machine lifeforms.

wapplew

Never realized this many people wanted to buy a PS4 just for this game. Good news for those I guess. I'll still probably get on PS4. I agree that a port of the first game is needed. I don't think it's on PSNow and I don't have a PS3 anymore so it would be nice to have a way to play it. Could maybe get a cheap 4gb 360.

Power of Nier, the secret killer app.

Grief.exe

I thought this was known for a while now?

We've assumed it was coming.

Automata on PS4 and PC.
Scalebound on Xbone and PC.
PC is the ultimate Platinum Games platform now.

dma5KPv.gif

Vanquish plz

Platinum hinted they were working on Vanquish during an interview a week ago.

So since SE are abandoning Xbox with FFXV and KH3 as the final games since they were announced too soon, at least most will be able to play the sequel to my favorite last gen game. Nice.

(PS4 version for me)

Durante, you should really call SE one of these days and offer your services.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Here's the press release Square sent out with the news.

NIER: AUTOMATA TO LAUNCH ON STEAM IN EARLY 2017
LOS ANGELES (Aug. 17, 2016) -- NieR: Automata™, the upcoming action-RPG from SQUARE ENIX® and PlatinumGames Inc, will launch on STEAM® for PC as well as the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system in early 2017. The highly anticipated follow up to the 2010 cult-classic NIER®, NieR: Automata tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2 and their battle to reclaim a machine-driven dystopia overrun by powerful weapons known as machine lifeforms.

Developed by an all-star team consisting of producer Yosuke Saito (DRAGON QUEST® X / NIER), director YOKO TARO (Drakengard® / NIER ), character designer Akihiko Yoshida from CyDesignation, Inc. (FINAL FANTASY® XIV / BRAVELY DEFAULT®), game designer Takahisa Taura from PlatinumGames Inc. (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance), and composer Keiichi Okabe from MONACA, Inc. (TEKKEN / Drakengard 3 / NIER ).

Story of NieR: Automata
Invaders from another world attack without warning, unleashing their secret weapon: the machines. In the face of this insurmountable threat, the human race is driven from the earth and takes refuge on the moon.

The humans develop an army of android soldiers to fight back against the mechanical horde, but succeed only in slowing its advance. To break the deadlock, a new breed of android infantry is sent into the fray: the YoRHa squad.

In the forsaken wasteland below, the war between the machines and the androids rages on. A war that is soon to unveil the long-forgotten truth of this world…

Related Links
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NieRGame
Official Page: http://nier-automata.com/

This game is not yet rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.

About PlatinumGames Inc.
PlatinumGames Inc. is an independent entertainment developer based in Osaka, Japan, dedicated to making high quality, next generation games for a variety of hardware platforms. Loaded with some of the gaming industry’s most talented creators, PlatinumGames seeks to break the mold of a sequel driven industry by creating innovative, original IP that exceed users’ expectations. For more information, please visit: www.platinumgames.com.

About Square Enix, Inc.
Square Enix, Inc. develops, publishes, distributes and licenses SQUARE ENIX®, EIDOS® and TAITO® branded entertainment content throughout the Americas as part of the Square Enix group of companies. Square Enix, Inc. is affiliated with a global network of leading development studios such as IO Interactive™, Crystal Dynamics®, and Eidos Montréal. The Square Enix group of companies boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY®, which has sold over 115 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 68 million units worldwide; TOMB RAIDER®, which has sold over 45 million units worldwide; and the legendary SPACE INVADERS®. Square Enix, Inc. is a U.S.-based, wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.

More information on Square Enix, Inc. can be found at http://na.square-enix.com/.

Very, very pleased. Would love to see a great port, too.

So many things are going well, fingers crossed that it lives up to it all.

i am making the least masculine squeals of delight possible at this news.

all of my excitement.

ALL OF IT!

okay well maybe not ALL i mean there are a lot of great games coming out soon but likeholyshitaniersequelwithrevengancelevelcombatandnowiknowiwillbeabletoplayitsinceistillhavenoPS4*inhale* excited.

Durante

Are they going to bother porting NeiR to Steam as well? Would be nice to be able to try it out without turning the PS3 on...
That would be great, and it shouldn't be too much effort either given that it's UE3. One can hope.

Never realized this many people wanted to buy a PS4 just for this game.
The first was an incredibly unique experience with a frothing niche fanbase (amongst which I count myself). It's not too surprising.

oSoLucky

Steam has been the platform for JRPGs for years, so no surprise.

I don't think I would go that far.

Does anyone know if the PS3 or 360 version is significantly better than the other of the original? I can't do much research now and might pick up a used console cheap for it.

Anothr observation, apparently there are many more "PC only" people here that just jumped last gen than I realized, to have played such a niche game. OT, it makes console hate slightly more understandable/relevant to me.

Top Bottom