• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata announced for PC, game shipping Early 2017 on both platforms

Setsu00

J'Nique Nicole totally owns it though, Emi Evans really got outclassed here. J'Nique Nicole's version is also vastly superior because the incredible lyrics are not lost on the person who is listening.

"I feel like I'm loosing hope in my body and my soul...
tell me God are you punishing me?...
This is my redemption song, I need you more than ever right now! Can you hear me now!...
Maybe if we keep believing my dreams will come to life...come to life..."

10/10

I don't really agree. I think it's part of the Nier atmosphere to listen to music with lyrics that you can't understand.

sense

Platinum is getting there. They are still not mathematically scaling their UI to arbitrary resolution choice, but they offered 4K in their recent releases. Their games are still locked to 60 FPS as well.
Would be nice to see both restrictions relaxed in future releases

Have to be acutely aware of word choice when these games are announced. Many people have been watching Sony conferences in recent years as they have become thinly veiled PC conferences.

Ni-Oh, FFXV, and FFVIIR are two upcoming games to keep your eyes on fire potential PC ports

not persona 5? :)

nier was not announced in a sony conference. I doubt ni-oh is coming to pc because they have been pretty open in calling it ps4 exclusive but who knows

J'Nique Nicole totally owns it though, Emi Evans really got outclassed here. J'Nique Nicole's version is also vastly superior because the incredible lyrics are not lost on the person who is listening.

This is my redemption song, I need you more than ever right now! Can you hear me now!...

10/10
The lyrics are nice, but her delivery is so 90s Quiet Storm slow jam that it comes across a little cheesy.

10/10

"J'Nique Nicole" ? Wtf. It means "I fuck Nicole" in French oO

10/10

Those lyrics are just the cheesiest thing to me. Particularly "This is my redemption song". Any time you're calling attention to the fact you're singing a song it just ruins the whole thing. Like you're about to sing "My name is ____ and I'm here to say...". I much prefer the version I don't understand.

Yeah Access Games developed D3 in Unreal 3. I'd like to see a port of that mostly because it ran like crap on the PS3. (I got all the endings despite this.)

Well there is a different language version of Ashes of Dreams for each ending I imagine it'd be similar here.
We should bug SE about a doublepack remaster for PS4 and PC.

wmlk

Emi Evans ain't getting outclassed. She was a big part in creating the Nier sound, and honestly, she might be the reason this game exists.

Caj814

Here I was thinking it wouldn't be discussed until post release.
koKEbU3.gif

Pejo

Gold Member
I love it when PC ports are at least announced before the console versions release, so I don't end up double dipping and being salty about it. I like it even more if it's the same release date on both platforms.

There are very few games I buy day 1 on PC, but this is definitely one.

mcz117chief

Emi Evans ain't getting outclassed. She was a big part in creating the Nier sound, and honestly, she might be the reason this game exists.

It is of course my opinion but I much more prefer the version sung by J'Nique Nicole.

Well there is a different language version of Ashes of Dreams for each ending I imagine it'd be similar here.

Nevertheless the English version of Ashes of Dreams is amazing and is the best song in the whole game, especially because of the fantastic lyrics.

wazoo

nier was not announced in a sony conference. I doubt ni-oh is coming to pc because they have been pretty open in calling it ps4 exclusive but who knows

All current KT PC games are ps3 ports despite a ps4 version exists. Nioh is ps4 only. They need to upgrade their tools before thinking about a pc version.

Randomizer

Cool, the more people who can buy it the higher the chances of another sequel. I'll probably still pick up the PS4 version instead though.

Ridley327

Yup. I think I read it shares tech with Blue Dragon, but it's not using Unreal Engine.

You know, it could have been just that I was confusing Cavia with Feel Plus, since Feel Plus made UE3 their default engine up until the merger with Cavia and Artoon.

All current KT PC games are ps3 ports despite a ps4 version exists. Nioh is ps4 only. They need to upgrade their tools before thinking about a pc version.

Untrue. Their latest ports are PC versions. Toukiden, DQ Heroes, Arslan and soon Attack on Titan are based on PS4.

z1ggy

Depending on how we want to define the genre, the current high water mark for a game like this is one of these:

DmC: 826,995 ± 22,587
Metal Gear Rising: 620,448 ± 19,570

Mind, obviously these have been very cheap for quite some time.

Platinum's other two games are as follows:

The Legend of Korra: 209,786 ± 11,387
Transformers: Devastation: 49,247 ± 5,518

So character action games have a nice audience on the platform. Surprised at DmC numbers.

MUnited83

For you.
not persona 5? :)

Ni-Oh was announced as console exclusive on Siny's conference. I'd say its a lock for PC. Yeah, Tecmo Koei describes it as "PS4 exclusive", but I dont think they ever used "console exclusive" as a term in any of their games ever so I dont think its proof it wont.

I wonder if Platinum pushed for it and got Taro on board with it. This is a fairly unusual move for Squenix, so I doubt it originated from them.
Remember that the original NieR started life as a 360 exclusive before they decided to do a PS3 version. Taro and Platinum both probably looked at how many months they had left and said "Hey, lets put it on PC as well."

SE are done with Xbox. Only reason KH3 and FFXV are on it is because they were announced before it was clear how the gen would go.

Is Xbox games sales (especially for Japanese games) really that low, even when compared to PC?

I mean, it's not that great on PC either. It's just that PC somewhat ensures longer tail when it comes to sales.

Aters

Fantastic. SE should really start porting every game to PC so that I can make sure I will still be able to play them ten years later. They can start with the original NieR.

Is Xbox games sales (especially for Japanese games) really that low, even when compared to PC?

I mean, it's not that great on PC either. It's just that PC somewhat ensures longer tail when it comes to sales.

Depends. Dark Souls 3 pulls out good number on Xbox, so did MGSV. Can't think of any other Japanese game on Xbox though.

I think SE should make NieR on XBOX simply because the original was on X360. It's always bad to completely abandon a part of your fanbase.

wazoo

X1 is a weak platform. You need to optimize. That cost money.

For PC, it costs nothing since dev is done on PC platform and performance can always be assumed to be greater than ps4 for the targeted market.

Type-0 sold 10% of its opening weeks sales on XB1 and the rest on PS4.

Unknown?

SE are done with Xbox. Only reason KH3 and FFXV are on it is because they were announced before it was clear how the gen would go.

Yeah, I don't see why people think anything has a chance of going to Xbox. There isn't an audience there like on PC.

Ni-Oh was announced as console exclusive on Siny's conference. I'd say its a lock for PC. Yeah, Tecmo Koei describes it as "PS4 exclusive", but I dont think they ever used "console exclusive" as a term in any of their games ever so I dont think its proof it wont.

It's just not likely. This had it written on the wall, NiOh doesn't. If anything it'll come MUCH later.

addik

Don't have a PC, but this is good news. The more who gets this game the better.

I'm so happy that despite Nier being critically panned (and a commercial flop? not sure), SE seems to be going all-out for this game. So happy we get a second shot at this.

I just hope we get a new trailer out soon. The two songs sound already lovely. Each version has its own strengths that I can't really pinpoint which I prefer, though I'm slanting toward J'Nique Nicole's

TGMIII

So character action games have a nice audience on the platform. Surprised at DmC numbers.

The PC port for DmC is excellent and had no launch issues from what I could remember. If I remember correctly it also supported arbitrary resolution support along with support for 120/144hz monitors.

Proper PC support goes a long way.

Renekton

It had a mild resurgence thanks to smooth optimized port, 60fps which consoles lacks, and a PC audience which didn't care about the Dante thing.

Don't have a PC, but this is good news. The more who gets this game the better.

I'm so happy that despite Nier being critically panned (and a commercial flop? not sure), SE seems to be going all-out for this game. So happy we get a second shot at this.

I just hope we get a new trailer out soon. The two songs sound already lovely. Each version has its own strengths that I can't really pinpoint which I prefer, though I'm slanting toward J'Nique Nicole's
It made its budget back IIRC. The game is cult in Japan to the point that P*'s younger members jumped at the chance to make a sequel.

Top Bottom