• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lost Odyssey impressions and videos from IGN - RUH ROH

Settra

DCharlie said:
At least in a worst case scenario the Lost Odyssey story would be new ;)

But most likely not even a fraction as good or touching people like the FF7 story does (mainly because it's damn good but also because of nostalgia reasons).

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It's not as if the PSX era FFs were lost in the innovation realm either. Hell, the PSX FFs were very different from the rest of the series in that it didn't focus on specific characters together, but specific characters at different points in the stories. So they had to have a system that let you keep balanced parties at all times. And I think the Matiera/Junction/Skill Crystal stat systems were the real core of the PSX FFs and offer a lot of gameplay options, but most seem to ignore anything that isn't the game's action.
Lets not forget, to be innovative doesn't mean you have to be good. I think each FF has done a decent job of being innovative, but how good it was does vary. *cough XII*

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
But most likely not even a fraction as good or touching people like the FF7 story does (mainly because it's damn good but also because of nostalgia reasons).

well, given sales are going to be way lower that is a cert on one hand, and a comparison we simply can't make at the moment having only seen 1% of Lost Odyssey.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
That's it. You're now official batshit insane.

Besides FFIII, which you loved, that of course didn't try anything new because it was a remake, all the FFs this gen have been full of inovation. From the Sphere Grid in FFX to the Non-linear mission structure of FFX-2, to FFXI WHICH IS A HUGE DEPATURE, to FFXII which took FFXI's base and made an even bigger depature from traditional FF.
Sorry, I must be missing the connect here. This is the exact part of LO which we haven't even seen yet, so how can you compare? What we are comparing is the graphics and basic battle system. In that respect, LO is exactly the same as standard FF. Attack / Magic / Item / Defend. The locations and the way you move around them and interact with them are all very FF-like too. We don't know what the system will be, so why talk about that part?

I don't know how deep LO will be so I'm not going to comment on it, but the lack of depth and innovation is what killed FFIII for me. I want dozens of unique character stat development systems, new game structure systems, new battle systems, etc...that's what makes the games fun to play and keeps the genre from feeling repetitive.
How can you say FFIII lacked depth and innovation when it was the first game in the series with the ability to change jobs mid-game? It was a first for many things, but you are comparing it to today's FFs. That's just wrong.

Like someone else said, only DQ is allowed to be retro/simple/shallow because the nostalgia aspect of it is part of its charm.
There's nothing retro about LO. And we can't comment on the full depth of the system. All we have to play with at the moment is a couple of simple battles, much like the beginning of every FF game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah bebpo forgets ff3 is a remake of an old game seems like he just wanted a completely different game.

Bebpo

Banned
Uh, Jonny...I wasn't commenting on LO. I said as much. That was all a response to your "FFs haven't evolved at all" comment, which I find to be ludicrous.

Error2k4 said:
yeah bebpo forgets ff3 is a remake of an old game seems like he just wanted a completely different game.

Well they could've picked a better game to remake :p DQVr works because the original has a very strong narrative and the dungeons are fantastically designed. Plus DQV improved on the original with a better battle system, better graphics, and no loading/fast battles. The remake should never be 'worse' than the original and with the load times I think FFIII DS is.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'll get the demo within a week and do some videos, but from what I heard it's very meh after what we saw at the TGS.

Can't believe I just found out the main character is silent. That's one of my biggest pet peeves in RPGs, I can't ****ING stand silent characters, much less the one I'll spend the entire game with.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Uh, Jonny...I wasn't commenting on LO. I said as much. That was all a response to your "FFs haven't evolved at all" comment, which I find to be ludicrous.
Well, I dunno, I did say like any recent FF :p I wasn't really counting FFIII in that sentence, and I don't see how FF has evolved much since VII. Obviously XII was a big change, thanks to its MMO roots, but besides that X was pretty similar to VII and VIII.

Either way, it's an early demo, it's obviously not a true indication of the final game, but personally I found it to be reminiscent of FFs for some reason. Possibly just the presence of Uematsu's music is enough to do that to me. Also, I'd never played the TGS demo or anything before that, so it wasn't as much of a letdown to me as someone who'd already been there, done that, if you see what I mean.

john tv

I haven't played either demo at all, so I'm in the neutral camp, but I will say both LO and BD look very generic to me from what I've seen so far. I'm bracing myself for big disappointment with both games, and if they turn out to be decent, then great.

As far as I can tell from what I've seen so far, they're both just pretty ripoffs of stuff that's already out there, which is definitely what I -don't- want from next-gen RPGs. As soon as I saw the Fight/Magic/Defend/Whatever menus in LO at TGS, I just about gagged. :(

lilltias

If the demo is really that bad, it should be right here:

believe_0001.jpg

:(

The TGS demo was very disapointing because the day before I saw the White Knight Story trailer.

The initial battle scene was good but random encounters with no in-map combat + invisible walls should die in next-gen RPGs. Load between zones should die as well.

duckroll

john tv said:
Seriously? Is it at least different from DQ's Tension? :)

Yes, you can apparently set how much tension you want to build and the gauge shows you where you will end up next on the turn order before you select. It's pretty cool!

You can make monsters fight each other too! :D

hmmm, from the vids...I can definitely see where the comments are coming from....outside of the intro sequence the game doesnt look too impressive....incredibly early is what Id say.....the camera does the game no favours either...

wow, johnyram is crazy 360.....seriously I mean the initial showing of the game has been poor....this doesnt mean the game wont turn out good....its commenting on the current state of the game, which seems little remarkable....

As for blue dragon it looks pretty fun, I doubt it will be a masterpiece....but I definitely think it will be good

peace

Aaron

DCharlie said:
it has? i thought everyone was jizzing over the phasing from CG to realtime graphics?
But didn't that last for less than a day before more objective minds thought it was pretty poor? I thought it was pretty goofy when I first saw it, and especially disliked all the standing around, waiting for a turn to attack.

DCharlie said:
it has? i thought everyone was jizzing over the phasing from CG to realtime graphics?

well, the rest of the demo didnt look particularly impressive...and the transition was to a slow turn based system....I definitely expected something more interesting

peace

Jonnyram

nelsonroyale said:
wow, johnyram is crazy 360.....seriously I mean the initial showing of the game has been poor....this doesnt mean the game wont turn out good....its commenting on the current state of the game, which seems little remarkable....
damn straight i'm crazy 360! initial showing of the game has been poor, i'm not denying that. is there some reading comprehension difficulty with the general populace of this board? i just said it reminded me of a regular ff game. logic be damned!

mushy peas

DCharlie said:
interesting, well, i guess i'll find out in a few hours. :)

I would be interesting in reading your impressions...

I hope they make the most of the game...the setting does look interesting....but sakaguchi's involvement could be a curse as well as a gift.....I still cant believe they kept random battles....

peace

Jonnyram said:
You forgot to say "peace" :p

it seems to be a funny joke around here....but it is kind of the lingo in bboying (breakdancing)....though funny enough I dont really say it in real life that much hah

peace

The over riding logic seems to be that PS3 games can get better with more development time, 360 games will stay exactly as they are when first shown despite what the devs say.

Francias Castiglione said:
The over riding logic seems to be that PS3 games can get better with more development time, 360 games will stay exactly as they are when first shown despite what the devs say.

I don't think time will help this. The core gameplay just looks archaic. Like I said in the other thread, next gen graphics and gameplay from 1990 don't mix. They should have made this an action RPG or come up with a new battle system

The problem is the game design, not the graphics. They need to change complety the way that the game plays when you explore the map if they want it feel "next gen" instead of "PS1" (I like a lot the PS1 RPGs but I expected more).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Doom_Bringer said:
I don't think time will help this. The core gameplay just looks archaic. Like I said in the other thread, next gen graphics and gameplay from 1990 don't mix. They should have made this an action RPG or come up with a new battle system
Sakaguchi already said that the battle system wasn't complete, and was especially missing 2 key elements.

duckroll

This would be a good time to dig up the GAF thread(s) on the FFXII demo released with DQ8. That's what happens when people play a demo with everything but the most basic gameplay mechanics stripped out. :lol

Blimblim said:
Sakaguchi already said that the battle system wasn't complete, and was especially missing 2 key elements.

Bingo.

duckroll said:
This would be a good time to dig up the GAF thread(s) on the FFXII demo released with DQ8. That's what happens when people play a demo with everything but the most basic gameplay mechanics stripped out. :lol

:lol Hypocrisy? Here? NO!

Blimblim said:
Let's hope for an improvement

:lol Hypocrisy? Here? NO!

What he is trying to say is people thought that demo sucked and FF12 would inevitably suck

Doom_Bringer said:
What he is trying to say is people thought that demo sucked and FF12 would inevitably suck

I know, and I bet some of those people now realise that FFXII is obviously not best represented by the demo. Yet they still treat Lost Odyssey as though this early demo represents the whole game.

I know, and I bet some of those people now realise that FFXII is obviously not best represented by the demo. Yet they still treat Lost Odyssey as though this early demo represents the whole game.

when is this game coming out anyway? I thought it was an early 07 title? The only reason why MS released this demo is to deflate PS3 hype. I don't think showing early titles is very wise...Why can't they just wait and rely on Blue Dragon? They did the same thing in NA (show Halo 3)....

oh well hopefully it will look much better the next time they show it

duckroll

I don't think many people are really saying that at all though. If you actually read, most of the more negative comments about the demo (from those actually following the development of the game and/or having played the actual demo) revolve around just that - the demo. There's no question that it's a really weak showcase that should never have been released publically. There are 5-8 second load times going into battles even.

It's really sad because MS is handing this demo out like it's the second coming in Japan. Every Core Set they're selling starting today come with a Lost Odyssey demo, and the demo disc is in every issue of Weekly Famitsu on sale this week. I really don't think this is the kind of demo you want to show off at this stage of development.

duckroll said:
It's really sad because MS is handing this demo out like it's the second coming in Japan. Every Core Set they're selling starting today come with a Lost Odyssey demo, and the demo disc is in every issue of Weekly Famitsu on sale this week. I really don't think this is the kind of demo you want to show off at this stage of development.

wow that really blows. Handing out a shitty incomplete demo when you have a great looking RPG that's almost complete.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
so here is my unbiased appraisal of the Lost Odyssey demo.

Oh boy.
Graphically, it's nice. Very nice. Although perhaps a bit too 'grey' and dulcit in its tones. It gives it a mature sheen, but it's just like everything is covered in this film of dust. I guess for the first part, that's how it should look, but there is sort of a grey tint to everything ... maybe the projector needs calibrating.

286797742_b0da0212ca_b.jpg

"Wanting to meet men who have big choppers? Call 'The Barbarian Knight Horde' today or simply drop in to our 'petting' area over at Death Ash Volcano Mountain Field (2 minutes walk from Shibuya)"

oh - other quibbles... the modelling seems to vary - what on EARTH is that coffin on wheels thingy? and the split screen effect? the japanese obsession with 24 must STOP!!! It just doesn't work , it looks pretty amateurish.
286796437_84fd138c15_b.jpg

"(a) I see testicles.... (b) look they are there... (c)I don't see any tes.ZOMG you're right!!!"

As of right this instance, the gameplay is a snooze fest - whilst it's not an unrecoverable situation, they need to have a long hard look at how the game plays out. Granted, it's likely the combat is missing a couple of facets, but the big kicker was that the short "field" section just made me feel like i was trapped, and with no good reason. If areas were clearly bounded by rocks , or something like that, it would make it less annoying, but there are areas that look like they should be explorable that aren't. You are effectively trapped in a bounded box world with just you and some random encounters to keep you happy... oh and some half fubared robots to shoulderbarge into (wtf?!)

286795883_06020fca2b_b.jpg

"they said i'd be in a game with an engine that could handle hair...1 ****ing strand is not what i'd call 'free flowing locks that could tempt any maiden'... bastards."

At the moment, with an incomplete combat engine and the lack of grab in the field areas, it's obvious that there is still a lot to be done in this game -- or that someone somewhere is missing the point. At the moment, the demo is formulaic and ordinary, with the graphics and the fact that it's a heavily 'Japanese' game gracing the X360 being it's strong points.

286797080_e7a3c747d7_b.jpg

"OH NOES i've dropped my pocky! (T T)"

I hope they make the exploration part more like Blue Dragon, cause I hate the large over-world-view when you're exploring in the latest LO videos.

Troidal

I played the demo and don't have much to add.

But yeah, pretty graphics but gameplay is archaic. Hopefully final version will stand up to the test.

Top Bottom