• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor (PC/Mac)

Storm360

I got it, paired up fine... Now I'm just having issues figuring out what games work with it native.

Rocket League did when I used a USB, but I'm getting nothing from this.

Have you used a DS4 with just a standard bluetooth dongle, would you say support etc is the same or do they have some upgraded/new drivers with this thing?

Zurick

Banned
Have you used a DS4 with just a standard bluetooth dongle, would you say support etc is the same or do they have some upgraded/new drivers with this thing?

I did use the DS4 with a standard bluetooth before, it was smooth for Rocket League which is all I really played previously but it shows up...

BBt7OO6.png

cXQIPdT.png

Edit:
0KuymU2.png

Shows up as a headset as well for the port at the bottom I guess. Still can't get the controller to work on a game though lol

anddo0

Any reviews or impressions on this?

So far, unless you NEED it for remote play, worthless.

It doesn't work at all out the box for standard PC games. It's for remote play purposes only (right now)

DS4Windows, even default PC Bluetooth works better.
I feel like I wasted $25 ATM... Please tell me there is more to it than this.. Wow Sony.

Rezae

It doesn't work at all out the box for standard PC games. It's for remote play purposes only (right now)

I feel like I wasted $25 ATM... Please tell me there is more to it than this.. Wow Sony.

Holy... I was just getting ready to order one. Sony's on a roll lately.

smh,

I just bought this too. WHAT THE FUCK SONY. I literally bought it to play SFV since I was tired of using usb and bluetooth has latency. This is unacceptable.

Im returning it to Amazon

MMaRsu

Banned
Soooo no official PC drivers? Just a way to play PS Now on your PC?

I was hoping for some sweet official Bluetooth drivers since I cant get the DS4 to work wireless on my PC. A cable and DS4windows is the only way that it works.

Lime

Seriously just buy a bluetooth dongle and download DS4windows. I promise you the support and options there are magnificient - change colors by battery, enable functions of the touchpad, reconfigure the buttons, and all kinds of amazing things.

telasoman

Seriously just buy a bluetooth dongle and download DS4windows. I promise you the support and options there are magnificient - change colors by battery, enable functions of the touchpad, reconfigure the buttons, and all kinds of amazing things.

Isn't it called input mapper now??

Maybe i'm using a different one, but the software works amazingly well. Best part is you can turn off the LED light and get a 20 hour battery on the controller.

anddo0

It works as advertised with Remote Play and PS Now. It's responsive, and the input delay is better than standard bluetooth dongle or DS4windows. The ability to use the headphone jack is also a nice touch. It's surprisingly longer than the dongle that comes with the Pulse Elite, but sports a thinner, sleeker overall design (both the Pulse Elite dongle and DS4 Adapter can share neighboring slots despite their size)

I'm just dumbfounded the adapter is restricted to these two programs.. Sony has the opportunity to fix this, simple driver dump will do..But, knowing Sony, this was intentional.

I've been playing with the dongle and it's definitely still DirectInput, but at least the headset functionality works well. If you have a game like Crimzon Clover or Rocket League that supports dinput you're golden right out of the gate, but it does seem to report both axis 3/4 and button 7/8 for the L2/R2 triggers, which may trip up some apps.

Interestingly, the headset seems to be limited to 32kHz sample rate, which effectively means no more than 16kHz audio due to the Nyquist frequency. Went and made some VOIP calls via the DS4 on Windows 10 for the lulz.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Why is it so hard for sony to put on a half decent remote control when they waste time with stuff most ps4 owners will never use...sigh

Lime

Isn't it called input mapper now??

Maybe i'm using a different one, but the software works amazingly well. Best part is you can turn off the LED light and get a 20 hour battery on the controller.

no, it's ds4windows and it has so many functionalities I love it:

097efd1da8e06f94245fbab470b055b57cfbd8c9.png

Zurick

Banned
I've been playing with the dongle and it's definitely still DirectInput, but at least the headset functionality works well. If you have a game like Crimzon Clover or Rocket League that supports dinput you're golden right out of the gate, but it does seem to report both axis 3/4 and button 7/8 for the L2/R2 triggers, which may trip up some apps.

Interestingly, the headset seems to be limited to 32kHz sample rate, which effectively means no more than 16kHz audio due to the Nyquist frequency. Went and made some VOIP calls via the DS4 on Windows 10 for the lulz.

When I tried Rocket League it did not work. You must tell me your secret.

So it's huge, expensive and has no support for normal games?

Disappointing, but expected at the same time. I'll stick to my X1/Elite controller.

Durante

So it's huge, expensive and has no support for normal games?
And apparently it only supports 1 controller.

Disappointing, but expected at the same time. I'll stick to my X1/Elite controller.
Well, you could also use a $10 bluetooth dongle and soem free software. Which is tiny, does support normal games, and does support more than one controller ;)

f@luS

More than a member.
Just bought one on amazon will return it if it's not working good

As remote play will support 1080p (already in the new update but it says you need ps pro ) I want a perfect lagless remote play. With USB I have like a 100ms feel lag. Hope with this it's better

PaulLFC

For those who have bought one, does the headphone jack work for Netflix / YouTube / web videos / media player etc through the PC?

Basically I'm hoping this could replace the media remote I used to have with a headphone jack which allowed for semi-wireless listening.

SOLDIER

What I was hoping for out of this dongle more than anything is if it has a better response/latency than using a third party adaptor. As I mentioned before, I would keep getting weird controller issues with certain games, like the right analog stick spinning out of control or the triggers acting up, things like that.

So I'm wondering if I would get a much better connection using the official adaptor, even if I have to keep using DS4Windows or some other software to have the controller be recognized by other games. I ordered it on Amazon but am prepared to return it if it doesn't offer much improvement.

Even so, I really would like a solution to my issues. It doesn't seem like other people have this problem, though I wonder how many go wireless like I do (comfy couch user here).

What I was hoping for out of this dongle more than anything is if it has a better response/latency than using a third party adaptor. As I mentioned before, I would keep getting weird controller issues with certain games, like the right analog stick spinning out of control or the triggers acting up, things like that.

So I'm wondering if I would get a much better connection using the official adaptor, even if I have to keep using DS4Windows or some other software to have the controller be recognized by other games. I ordered it on Amazon but am prepared to return it if it doesn't offer much improvement.

Even so, I really would like a solution to my issues. It doesn't seem like other people have this problem, though I wonder how many go wireless like I do (comfy couch user here).

That's very odd.

What dongle did you use and what games had these problems? Maybe there was some interference?

I used SCP with a Asus BT211 and my DualShock 3 controllers, it was incredible and worked flawlessly with controller companion.

The only reason I stopped using it is because my BT adapter got crushed after it made its way under my PC and I happened to grab an Xbox One controller and adapter on a discount.

I had a fantastic experience with my BT and DS3 controllers though.

Deadstar

I just tried Rogue Legacy and it works perfectly.

Edit: Dark Souls III does not work....................what is going on here?!

Edit 2: How do i turn off the controller?!

Edit 3: Hey guys I'm back. Don't throw away your adapter yet. Apparently these stupid idiots at Sony can't put out a proper product but there is support coming for the adapter in DS4Windows that will allow the use of the speaker and the touchpad, for what seems to be if I'm not mistaken, the first time ever.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ds4windows-now-supports-sonys-official-bluetooth-adapter/

f@luS

More than a member.

You cant use remote play with netflix or spotify

Just bought one on amazon will return it if it's not working good

As remote play will support 1080p (already in the new update but it says you need ps pro ) I want a perfect lagless remote play. With USB I have like a 100ms feel lag. Hope with this it's better

just got it

input lag is MUCH better than usb or native Bluetooth from my computer

happy

SOLDIER

just got it

input lag is MUCH better than usb or native Bluetooth from my computer

happy

That's what I was hoping to hear. If this adapter eliminates the weird input problems I mentioned above, it'll be worth it for that alone.

So if I want to use this adaptor while "tricking" every game that I'm using an Xbox controller, all I have to do is use this in conjunction with DS4Windows or Input Mapper, right?

So you need this dumb adapter to play Remote Play, normal Bluetooth does not work even though it does work for (DirectInput or DS4Windows) games. That's bullshit from Sony.

Paying €25 for a remote play controller adapter doesn't really sound appealing to me, because I can have multiple controllers on my €10 generic Bluetooth dongle.

SOLDIER

So with my brief time with it so far, it seems the adapter has resulted in my controller being much more responsive with games, equal to using an XB1 controller. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I'm having a weird issue with Steam in Big Picture Mode, where for some reason it registers the X button (for selecting things) as a double-press, leading to all sorts of weird things like being unable to hit my game filters or causing games to launch immediately. I haven't been able to find a fix for this. If anyone came across this issue, please help me out.

Josh5890

So the consensus is to hold off buying this until patches are made? I was hoping to use it with my Steam games if i ever got a steam link

Whats with these giant fucking dongles...really annoying when you use a front usb port and risk knocking it snapping the thing off in the slot

Why cant they be like the little buttplugs that logitech use?

Nabs

So the consensus is to hold off buying this until patches are made? I was hoping to use it with my Steam games if i ever got a steam link

The Steam Link supports the DS4 without the need for any extra dongles. You can either sync it, or plug it in.

Deft Beck

Does using regular Bluetooth adapters with the PS4 controller really drain the battery too much or whatever? Sounds like a rumor.

I'm so torn, all the BT adapters that I own have all the driver problems in the world so I can never get anything running smoothly so I was hoping this would have been the best solution to using my DS4 wirelessly.

TSM

I guess this was it for our chances of getting official drivers for Windows from Sony. They finally release an official product to bring DS4 controllers to Windows and it's the same terrible legacy dinput support they've always had. To give you an idea, the last Windows version that officially supported dinput was Windows 7 (dinput was deprecated in 2011).

Deadstar

I'm so torn, all the BT adapters that I own have all the driver problems in the world so I can never get anything running smoothly so I was hoping this would have been the best solution to using my DS4 wirelessly.

Check my post above. It works with DS4Windows now. Enjoy!

Big Nikus

Ah shit, I wanted to buy this overpriced stupid dongle.
I tried a bluetooth dongle for my DS3 but it never worked, I spent hours trying to fix it to without success. And eventually the dongle stopped working completely. Must have been a faulty product, idk, but I didn't want to try with another one.

SOLDIER

Based on the brief Googling I did, my problem comes from the fact that Steam BPM is reading two controllers instead of one (both Xinput, which is emulated through software like DS4Windows, and the actual Dinput of the controller), which is what's causing it to take two button presses instead of one.

Still haven't found a fix though. Is there a way to have Steam "forget" one of the controllers or something? If I can't get this to work properly with BPM, then the whole thing is useless.

Calm Mind

Ah shit, I wanted to buy this overpriced stupid dongle.
I tried a bluetooth dongle for my DS3 but it never worked, I spent hours trying to fix it to without success. And eventually the dongle stopped working completely. Must have been a faulty product, idk, but I didn't want to try with another one.

Most likely your DS3 was fake.

Top Bottom