• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor (PC/Mac)

iosefe

As someone that uses standard bluetooth and a DS4 very regularly this ... really isn't an issue. Turn your controller off when you're done playing.

I've had PS3 controllers that have sat out for literally years without a charge and they work just fine once recharged. Is this a different story with the DS4?

once the controller dies like that, you'd have to replace the battery.

Nabs

As someone that uses standard bluetooth and a DS4 very regularly this ... really isn't an issue. Turn your controller off when you're done playing.

I've had PS3 controllers that have sat out for literally years without a charge and they work just fine once recharged. Is this a different story with the DS4?

I shut my controller down after each session, but ds4windows also has a thing called idle disconnect. It's an option in the profile editor that'll shut off your controller after a set amount of time.

This is the first time I've heard of that. That sounds nuts.

mejin

FP8yE1F.gif

iosefe

I shut my controller down after each session, but ds4windows also has a thing called idle disconnect. It's an option in the profile editor that'll shut off your controller after a set amount of time.

This is the first time I've heard of that. That sounds nuts.
yeah, i was looking it up when i noticed my controller wouldn't turn on. it's an issue dating back to 2013. only works wired and for some reason doesn't charge.

Shredderi

Sounds like something I'd use for convenience. I'll wait and see just how much "stuff" it supports in the end before I buy this.

Lime

But it probably won't be as properly supported as the 360 controller already do and DS4 Windows have so many options to configure all kinds of things, so I'll stick with my cheap bluetooth dongle and DS4 windows

JayBabay

I just bought an Xbox One Controller because DS4 stopped working on my PC. The new Xbox controller is able to do all the things this is doing like wireless over Bluetooth and headphone sound directly through the controller without anything additional. Sooo I don't see why the dongle is necessary unless it functions like a Chromecast and holds the PSNow application on it as well.

L.O.R.D

Uh, bluetooth is a wireless connection.

there is wifi connection and bluetooth connection
why i would buy a $25 adapter if i can get a $4 bluetooth adapter?
also,bluetooth adapter can only connect to 1 DS4 per adapter
my guess this is wireless wifi adapter just like the Xbox1 adapter,but the DS4 we know is only bluetooth ,unless the leaked new DS4 is wifi enabled ...then...

S9eei.gif

jose1

The biggest feature I see here is the functional headphone jack. That would make it worth the $25 to me. Maybe with this dongle I can plug my headphones into the DS4 instead of the pc when play all my pc games. Hopefully that functionality is not limited just to playstation apps.

SOLDIER

I need this: I could never get my DS4 to function properly on my PC (wireless on Windows 10).

I've used the recommended Bluetooth adapter and InputMapper as the software, but no matter what I would always get the occasional weird issue with PC games, including:

-Latency with the left analog stick

-Right analog stick spinning out of control

-Shoulder triggers all registering at the same time (L2 is L1+L2, etc)

I'm hoping the new adapter and/or driver takes care of all that, so I can use it just as reliably as an XB1 controller.

JayBabay

Incorrect. I know for a fact you can connect four DS4s with a single bluetooth adapter.

Is it still the case that whatever Bluetooth dongle you use becomes converted to only function for the Dualshock drivers? Like, the only thing that can connect to it after that are Dualshock controllers?

I gotta be honest, OP, I was super excited to see

Sony announces Dualshock 4

but then got super let down that it didn't follow with "Elite" or the equilivalent.

ZetaEpyon

I've been using a DS4 on pc since before PS4 launch, and have run it completely dead on numerous occasions (long mmo sessions). Plugging into USB (for power only) has always let me continue playing immediately via bluetooth, and it's always worked fine after recharging it normally.

There must be something else at play here...

Joey Ravn

Banned
I only have one DS4 controller, which I use with my PS4, which is just by my PC. I not going to buy this dongle because it's obviously being overpriced to hell and back, so I'm probably going to plug my DS4 with a USB cable.

Now... How much of a hassle is having the same gamepad paired to two systems? Does anyone have any experience with this? Or should I just get PS Now on my PS4, since it's finally coming to Europe and my PS4 is literally by my PC?

cakely

that strange,that never worked for me
bluetooth adapter only peer with 1 device at a time,that one of disadvantage of the bluetooth.

Incorrect. I have one bluetooth adapter on my PC that's currently synced to a headset, a keyboard, an Apple Magic Trackpad, and a DS4. I could easily add another DS4, I've done it before.

This plus a long HDMI cable is all gear for my living room setup in the next room. I have a wired mouse and keyboard that I'm using to type this.

BigEmil

It's Sony, I wouldn't expect good software support to be honest. I doubt it'll reach the features of DS4Windows, but let's hope!

This is what the official driver supports:

This adaptor will let you connect a DualShock 4 to PC and Mac wirelessly, and will enable every feature of the controller you know and love: buttons, analog sticks, touch pad, light bar, motion sensors, vibration, and stereo headset jack – as long as the gaming application supports these features.

crimilde

Banned
there is wifi connection and bluetooth connection
why i would buy a $25 adapter if i can get a $4 bluetooth adapter?
also,bluetooth adapter can only connect to 1 DS4 per adapter
my guess this is wireless wifi adapter just like the Xbox1 adapter,but the DS4 we know is only bluetooth ,unless the leaked new DS4 is wifi enabled ...then...

S9eei.gif

Yeah, but you were equating wireless with wifi in your previous post. Bluetooth is as wireless as wifi is.

From what I can tell the dongle will probably have official drivers on it too so that might be worth the money for people using it a lot?

I personally have only used the DS4 on my Macbook only once to test the remote play, and I had it connected via the cable, so I wouldn't spend that money on it.

While it IS true that letting modern rechargable devices completely drain and stay that way is not good for the batteries at all, it usually only results in decreased effectiveness, not the device refusing to charge whatsoever. Unless there is some quirk to the DS4, I would say that the poster probably just got a lemon, or allowed it to stay completely drained for months.

It's so long. I prefer something like the logitech one. Why sony

If it is accidentally snapped off you will need to buy another $25 adapter. It just makes good business sense. Logitech is selling you mice and keyboards and that is where they make their money, but with Sony you probably already have the controller so they are planning to profit from the adapter to cover the costs of developing the drivers, supporting it, etc.

darthkarki

I've been using a DS4 on pc since before PS4 launch, and have run it completely dead on numerous occasions (long mmo sessions). Plugging into USB (for power only) has always let me continue playing immediately via bluetooth, and it's always worked fine after recharging it normally.

Ditto this. I've never heard of this issue before either, and never had any issues with running my controller dead while connected to my PC via a cheapo bluetooth adapter.

Is it still the case that whatever Bluetooth dongle you use becomes converted to only function for the Dualshock drivers? Like, the only thing that can connect to it after that are Dualshock controllers?

That... doesn't make any sense. That's not possible, that's not how bluetooth works.

This is the weirdest thread ever. Never seen such weird misinformation thrown about in regards to using perfectly common technology in a perfectly normal way.

cakely

No, and this was never the case.

cakely

This is the weirdest thread ever. Never seen such weird misinformation thrown about in regards to using perfectly common technology in a perfectly normal way.

Seriously. Bluetooth is a really old standard, I'm surprised people are so confused by it.

Rektash

Neat I guess, but I don't really see a good reason to get this instead of a cheap 5$ USB bluetooth dongle + DS4. That combination has worked like a charm for me under Windows 10 and I don't really miss any features. Actually, DS4 is really good when it comes to profiles and configurations at this point. Probably better than most proprietary drivers for peripherals.

iosefe

oldest claim i found was here. https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1p9y0l/pairing_your_ds4_controller_via_bluetooth/

i recall reading more elsewhere, but can't find

currently, my controller is fully charged according to DS4WIndowws, and pressing the PS button does nothing. no lights, i conect to my PS4 to pair by USB and since the button dosn nothing, i can't connect. works in Safe mode, where it functions by Wire, not BT, so you can assume the issue is with the BT radio

Previously i used this controller via bluetooth, and left my niece to play things. since it has no way of being told what to do, the contorller does not fully turn off and seems keeps draining out. apparently DS4 winows has a feature to turn of the DS4, but in my time of using it, it hasn't seemed to work.

*EDIT FOUND IT

http://community.us.playstation.com...troller-only-works-in-safe-mode/td-p/44746602

before it stopped working for me, i did have an issue menitons in this post: http://community.us.playstation.com...n-t-Connect-Please-Help/td-p/42128337/page/26

My contorller would Desync and stop working, and i would have to press the PS button to make it connect.

jstripes

Banned
I don't get why they're releasing this for Mac. Seemingly every single Mac made in the last 10 years ships with Bluetooth, and a DS4 works right out of the box. I know, I have one. It works flawlessly with OpenEmu.

Now, encourage more games to support it. That's where the big issue is.

L.O.R.D

Incorrect. I have one bluetooth adapter on my PC that's currently synced to a headset, a keyboard, an Apple Magic Trackpad, and a DS4. I could easily add another DS4, I've done it before.

This plus a long HDMI cable is all gear for my living room setup in the next room. I have a wired mouse and keyboard that I'm using to type this.

6a1b3930aa164ab0893df4bbc2633548.png

thanks,i'll stick with the $3 usb dongle.

CO_Andy

DS4Windows essentially makes the DS4 the best comfy couch PC controller. Only bad thing about it is there is no DirectInput support over bluetooth.

The one device limitation was the scp driver for ds3 I think. I had to dedicate the dongle to the to a single controller and no other bt devices.

deim0s

I don't get why they're releasing this for Mac. Seemingly every single Mac made in the last 10 years ships with Bluetooth, and a DS4 works right out of the box. I know, I have one. It works flawlessly with OpenEmu.

Now, encourage more games to support it. That's where the big issue is.
This and what's with Sony and long dongles to their peripherals?

Top Bottom