• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Dualshock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor (PC/Mac)

Can I play non-Playstation games on PC with this?

Would I have to dedicate a DS4 pad to the PC or will I be able to switch between PS4 and PC on the fly without resetting the pad?

So other than better headphone jack support any advantage to using the dongle with inputmapper/DS4Windows?

Many people are saying games don't recognize the controller when connected using the dongle. Well, it's made for Remote Play app.

inputmapper makes games recognize the DS4 as xbox controller and let you play every game with controller support.

BTW, inputmapper is the new DS4Windows.

EDIT:

Anyone tried it with Steam Link?

Many people are saying games don't recognize the controller when connected using the dongle. Well, it's made for Remote Play app.

inputmapper makes games recognize the DS4 as xbox controller and let you play every game with controller support.

EDIT:

Do you still need to turn on 'Exclusive Mode' when using the dongle?

EDIT:

Inputmapper is better than DS4windows?
Does it also work with DS3?

RootCause

Lol it thought I wouldn't need an app for it to work. Hope I didn't waste my money. I can't keep playing the evil within with a keyboard.

sephi22

I'm confused. What is a bluetooth adaptor? I thought I knew what it was and upon Googling it's the same thing (a device that connects to the PC via usb but transmits and accepts bluetooth signals).

Who is this for? I already use my DS4 via my PC's bluetooth connection and DS4Windows. How is this different than doing that?

RootCause

I'm confused. What is a bluetooth adaptor? I thought I knew what it was and upon Googling it's the same thing (a device that connects to the PC via usb but transmits and accepts bluetooth signals).

Who is this for? I already use my DS4 via my PC's bluetooth connection and DS4Windows. How is this different than doing that?
For gullible suckers like me. :(
Might just return it to Amazon once it gets here.

Momentary

Banned
So this doesn't do anything special other than provide a bluetooth access point? My motherboard already has bluetooth... Good thing I didn't impulse buy this.

hypotc

From reddit:

There are two completely different applications by the name of DS4Windows. There's this one by Jays2Kings that I use, which is open-source, ad-free, and still in semi-active development (last github update is only 3 months ago), and there's the old version created by Wobbles that you can no longer download, which evolved into what is now InputMapper, which is closed-source and ad supported.
They both do what they advertise, though I've had better luck with DS4Windows, plus I'm a fan of open source software.

Just some information on both programs. I'm using Jays2Kings version of DS4Windows and have never had any trouble.

Neat. But it has ads? That reminds me a little too much of that terrible malware driver/program that was used to connect DS3.

Aparantly yeah. lol. I've just noticed that! You can "donate" to get rid of it.
Not that big of a deal. I set it to start minimized so I don't actually see the window.
This is what it looks like
ZTQqMM3.png

Dongle bought, thanks. As another user said, I hope this dongle will eliminate all the occasional lag and latency issues I've faced over the years when using DS3 / 4 with Input Mapper, DS4Windows, and their predecessors.

Before anyone asks, no it's not my dongle, or controller, or OS. I've used several of each. Same experience. This dongle, being officially provided by Sony, is my last hope.

I also can't help but scoff at those who can use more than one ds4 per BT dongle. That shit never worked well for me, lag city.

Dinjoralo

So... it's not even DirectInput? Sony, what the heck are you doing, this could have been huge for PC gaming, but you cocked it up!

SOLDIER

Discovered a workaround for my issue with Steam Big Picture Mode: I remapped the X and O buttons on the DS4 listing to unused buttons (L3 and R3).

But this might no longer be necessary as I also switched from InputMapper to DS4Windows, and used its "Hide DS4 controller" option. This fixed an issue with one game I was testing, Dragon's Dogma, which was reading the DS4 as a KB/M. By ticking the "Hide DS4" option, it only reads the controller as an Xbox controller.

So DS4Windows might be better than Inputmapper in this regard. And again, I'm getting none of the lag/latency issues I had with using a third party bluetooth dongle, so that alone justifies using the official adapter.

Durante

So... it's not even DirectInput? Sony, what the heck are you doing, this could have been huge for PC gaming, but you cocked it up!
I think that's overstating it a little. People who care enough to use a DS3 or DS4 rather than an officially supported option on PC have been able to do so for a long time (I used my DS3 for what feels like an eternity), and those who do not have tons of official options.

Kssio_Aug

Seems a bad deal. Expensive and probably won't support PC gaming with DS4 official drivers. Also apparently it doesn't support more than 1 stick either.

Kind remember me Vita memory cards. Unnecessary and expensive.

renegadez

Neo Member
Dongle bought, thanks. As another user said, I hope this dongle will eliminate all the occasional lag and latency issues I've faced over the years when using DS3 / 4 with Input Mapper, DS4Windows, and their predecessors.

Before anyone asks, no it's not my dongle, or controller, or OS. I've used several of each. Same experience. This dongle, being officially provided by Sony, is my last hope.

I also can't help but scoff at those who can use more than one ds4 per BT dongle. That shit never worked well for me, lag city.

This is what I was wondering about. For some games I don't really notice a latency via BT and inputmapper but for example Rocket League, the response time feels horrible vs usb cable. I'm interested to know if this dongle would reduce that latency.

PaulLFC

Picked one of these up a few days ago - for me it was worth the £20 just to enable the DS4's headphone jack for PC audio.

Soodanim

DS4Windows 1.4.5 - Support for the new DS4 USB Adapter, and a fix for the Windows 10AU Exclusive Mode issue: https://github.com/Jays2Kings/DS4Windows/releases
Excellent, that's the only thing holding the DS4 back. I've even dropped the Steam controller in favour of analog lately, for most third person games analog camera control is king, and DS4 nails nearly everything.

I have absolutely 0 interest in the dongle, as the battery life is abysmal. Simple as that. Why would I spend however much and get 5 hours from a charge when a cheap 3m USB cable gets me unlimited time? It's a lot more understandable when it's a Wii U Pro.

I bought this to test it out for various reasons, after hearing that DS4Windows supports it natively. After some messing around I got a decent setup with it but this thing is not great.

First off when you plug it in it creates a DInput device that is always there until unplugged. Also the controller when used with this device does not have the same GUID as a PS4 controlled hooked up normally so any games that have native support for the Playstation 4 controller will not work. Games and applications that use DInput and let you remap DInput controls will work of course. As far as I know there is no way to power down the controller outside of holding down the power button for 10 seconds, and if you do that Button 13 (Playstation Button) is stuck forever until the controller is turned on again.

GwjY5uh.png

This is because the DInput device is always present until unplugged. Sony actually recommends in the instruction manual to remove the adapter when you are not using it (which actually shuts off the controller as well funny enough) - which is extremely poor.

Stuff works out better once you use an XInput wrapper though. DS4Windows seems to pick it up and works just as you expect it would. However, the shortcut to turn off the controller doesn't seem to work (yet?). It will disconnect the adapter from the program but not actually shut off the controller - which seems to mess everything up. Holding down the power button for 10 seconds works fine but once again - it causes the Xbox Guide button to be stuck forever (which can causes some weird stuff). But after remapping the guide button to the upper touch pad, that is no longer an issue.

So now it works, mostly as you would want it to. It pairs instantly and is pretty rock solid. The fact that the device is always there is somewhat problematic though, some games (badly) assume that only the first controller listed is being used, so if the dongle is present and you aren't using your PS4 controller - it could create some issues. This is kind of rare though so not a huge issue. Either way this device seems kind of poorly thought out, it is like they did the bare minimum to get it working in a scenario where you are using a laptop or something and you want to use Remote Play or PS Now (which is probably like sub 1% of people who would want to use a DS4 on a PC). Also, why is the dongle always pulsating when the controller is disconnected? Why?

Edit: Also, the audio out through the controller seems to work properly. Don't think I would ever use it though.

nm, I'm returning this. I couldn't get it to recognize the controller consistently after turning it off and on without dealing with the problem in the previous post.

Just thought I'd bump this with some detailed feedback regarding using this dongle with a PS3.

You lose
-the PSButton
-The analog functions of L2/LR. So you're gonna have a bad time with racing games (I tested Daytona USA). The digital click portions still work.
-Sixaxis (The Folkore demos on PSN are now impossible to complete)
-Vibration

Otherwise, everything else works great. FULL analog control is supported (Tested with the COD:MW3 demo).

The PS4 controller makes an excellent TTT2 fightpad already, and now I can do shit from wherever wirelessly. Responsive combos, no lag, like a direct connection. A family member helped confirm that I can go about 50 feet away (through a few corners and walls) and inputs can still be read.

At the ~$15 it now costs to get one (amazon US for me, best buy also has a clearance going on), I'd say that the added bonus of wireless PS3 support is worth the small premium (and 1 controller penalty) over a standard BT adapter/paying $11-13 for a forced 2-pack of 15ft micro-usb cords (that I now have to send back :^/ ).

Huh, didn't know that. Still need it for my PC setup, so not a blowout. Now I guess I'll see if full controller functionality is supported over BT to the PS3 (EDIT: nope).

It's definitely syncing with the adapter right now, not the console. I've never sync'd my ds4 to my PS3. Perhaps if range and the potential lag/interference that comes with it are a concern, the adapter might have the leg up.

daninthemix

Please can someone tell me how to pair this? I've plugged it in, it's flashing slowly, I've tried Share + PS Button on my DualShock 4....

EDIT: got it. You have to push the dongle into the USB port. That is weird to the point of psychosis, Sony, but whatever, works.

Top Bottom