• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even Colonel Sanders thought KFC sucked, after he sold it to investment group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://kottke.org/16/08/for-the-colonel-it-was-fingerlickin-bad

Original NYT archived article from 1976: http://www.nytimes.com/1976/09/09/archives/for-the-colonel-it-was-fingerlickin-bad.html?_r=0

For the Colonel, It Was Finger‐Lickin’

Gotta love that headline lol.

Once in the kitchen, the colonel walked over to a vat full of frying chicken pieces and announced, 'That's much too black. It should be golden brown. You're frying for 12 minutes -- that's six minutes too long. What's more, your frying fat should have been changed a week ago. That's the worst fried chicken I've ever seen. Let me see your mashed potatoes with gravy, and how do you make them?"

When Mr. Singleton explained that he first mixed boiling water into the instant powdered potatoes, the colonel interrupted. "And then you have wallpaper paste," he said. "Next suppose you add some of this brown gravy stuff and then you have sludge." "There's no way anyone can get me to swallow those potatoes," he said after tasting some. "And this cole slaw. This cole slaw! They just won't listen to me. It should he chopped, not shredded, and it should be made with Miracle Whip. Anything else turns gray. And there should be nothing in it but cabbage. No carrots!"

He's later quoted saying:

This ain't no goddam Tennessee Fried Chicken, no matter what some slick, silk-suited son-of-a-bitch says.

Haha. Love it.

Poor Colonel. The suits messed up his baby. Dude is probably rolling over his grave now.

At least the Japanese love his chain.

DJKhaled

lol Americans hatred for KFC is weird, you guys must get some budget shit over there, every other country it's delicious

lol Americans hatred for KFC is weird, you guys must get some budget shit over there, every other country it's delicious

The case with any fast food company that's international. They know that in America, shit tier food will sell, so why should they try harder?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Lol kfc is perfectly fine fast food chicken, give a fucking rest guys.

he probably hit up a popeyes and saw the light.

of course someone will mention church's but ignore the cost/benefit of getting shot while buying chicken. market externalities brah

Torokil

mmm yeah my mouth is watering for some foreign KFC

OR_side_72.jpg

Desi

The one time i went down south and had Bojangles i felt so sad i couldnt take any home with me.

Damn man, I am over here thinking about taking the Marc to Union Station so I can get some Bojangles then just ride it back to Baltimore. $16 for some $7 chicken.

ItIsOkBro

KFC is the worst chicken and fries fast food restaurant.

If there is a Popeyes or Church's nearby there's no reason to go to KFC.

I think KFC tastes the best out of all the chicken spots. The problem with the chicken though, is that it's never cooked right no matter where I go; it's either soggy and greasy, or damn near burnt and dry. The rest of the food KFC serves sucks( except for the wedges, those are really good).

Fuck, what is with this civil war brewing on GAF?

It's not Popeye's or KFC... We are all brothers and sisters.

I'm going to fight the next person that tries to shit on KFC. Unless you say you love Zaxby's but don't live in the south, I will finish you.

Y'all must not have Popeyes. Or Publix! Or Bojangles! Or...etc. KFC is bottom of the barrel.

Bojangles is very nice but Popeyes is greasy garbage. It's sad Americans think that even ranks as food. Most Americans I've met told me to stay far away from Popeyes but I was curious. Bad choice. Only on GAF have I actually seen praise for it.

Glasshole

Banned
If KFC is your best option, I'm truly sorry.

Many fast food chains source their food from the country they're in. As such, it's entirely possoble that KFC UK is better than KFC US.

Case in point: McDonalds GER & CH are way better than McDonalds US. But also way more expensive.

Depends on the location everywhere I think. In the little town I grew up in in Canada (and worked at when I was a teenager), it was really good. The chicken came from a big farm not that far away, we made the gravy with scrapings from the fryer, etc. It was delicious. Now, in the city I live in, the place not far from where i live, is AWFUL. Like, worst of the worst.

SexyFish

Banned
I've been eating Raising Cane's and haven't gone back to any other chicken place since. That Cane's sauce is heavenly. But I do miss Popeye's spicy chicken...

I think the last thing I ate at KFC was the Double Down... So yeah.

Nah dude, it's godawful here in Taiwan.

Burger King and McD's, however, my fucking word it's so good. Especially the former. And with McD's, I shit you not, I've NEVER had a Big Mac that wasn't perfectly built/stacked. Never had one fall apart on me.

They put in work at some of these chains over here.

highrider

Banned
It's inconsistent, really only good fresh out of the fryer after a brief rest. Most of the franchises in my area are staffed really poorly and it's nowhere near the consistency of Popeyes. I had some in Louisville visiting relatives though and it was awesome, so I guess it's still good in Kentucky lol.

Fuchsdh

McDonald's sucks in Germany. They all kinda suck here to be honest.

I went to one while I was over there to see the difference and I was laughing that despite proudly using German beef, yada yada, it still tastes like an American hamburger once McD is done with it. It's the exact same food.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Japanese KFC is good--the boneless chicken especially. American KFC the chicken is left there for what seems like days, and is totally gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom