• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkan Toto predicts 1.5B Downloads for Super Mario Run

maxcriden

Edit: for those who haven't heard; the game is free to start and will offer significant content for a single price after playing through the initial free content. You don't buy individual levels, it's one price for all of the content.

Toto is an established analyst. Not long ago he brought us the RE7 leak and the SSB for NX leak.

Estimate Of Future Number Of Total Super Mario Run Downloads

As Nintendo’s first actual game for smart devices, I expect Super Mario Run to do extremely well in terms of downloads: 1.5 billion+ downloads (over the lifecycle of the game, worldwide, on both iOS and Android and for tablets and phones).
Potential Reasons For Super Mario Run To Become A Mega Hit

Before readers (especially those from the finance industry) think I am nuts, here are a few “soft” reasons why:
•again: Super Mario Run is a free-to-download and not a premium app in the traditional sense
•it will star Mario, the world’s most iconic video game IP (the simplest but perhaps clearest of the soft arguments)
•a bad experience would be incredibly disappointing: it can be expected that Nintendo and DeNA will do everything to deliver quality content, especially as a follow-up to Pokemon Go
•over the last years, anticipation for Nintendo content on smart devices has been higher than for any other video games: it will also be the first Mario experience for millions of people (i.e. in China, when Super Mario Run gets actually launched there)
•the title already received massive marketing support from Apple (Miyamoto on stage at the iPhone 7 unveiling, there will be “Mario stickers” when Apple switches on the feature in iMessage, etc.)
•it’s the first app on iOS using Apple’s pre-registration service: this means that everybody pushing the “notify” button on the game’s already existing App Store page will get a push notification on their device when the game is live (this alone will generate massive traffic on day one) – a great, effective, free and direct user acquisition tool
•there can be no question that Apple will massively promote Super Mario Run further when it goes live – also all for free
•even though Android was ignored at launch, Google most likely will do similar/free promotions when Super Mario Run gets available on their devices in 2017
•etc. etc.
I upped the estimate I gave to the Wall Street Journal after giving it more thought.

This is of course for the initial download, which will be free (users will get asked for real money to unlock content after an initial free playing phase).

An “if”: the free version of the app should offer a reasonable amount of content to players before hitting them with a paywall, especially multiplayer or leaderboards. Otherwise, there is no way (i.e. because of reduced virality and word of mouth).

The pricing has caused a lot of confusion: Nintendo Japan is historically terrible in communications, and Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto did a bad job explaining this part of the game when he demonstrated it for the first time.

--

Potential Reasons For Super Mario Run To Become A Mega Hit

Before readers (especially those from the finance industry) think I am nuts, here are a few “soft” reasons why:
•again: Super Mario Run is a free-to-download and not a premium app in the traditional sense
•it will star Mario, the world’s most iconic video game IP (the simplest but perhaps clearest of the soft arguments)
•a bad experience would be incredibly disappointing: it can be expected that Nintendo and DeNA will do everything to deliver quality content, especially as a follow-up to Pokemon Go
•over the last years, anticipation for Nintendo content on smart devices has been higher than for any other video games: it will also be the first Mario experience for millions of people (i.e. in China, when Super Mario Run gets actually launched there)
•the title already received massive marketing support from Apple (Miyamoto on stage at the iPhone 7 unveiling, there will be “Mario stickers” when Apple switches on the feature in iMessage, etc.)
•it’s the first app on iOS using Apple’s pre-registration service: this means that everybody pushing the “notify” button on the game’s already existing App Store page will get a push notification on their device when the game is live (this alone will generate massive traffic on day one) – a great, effective, free and direct user acquisition tool
•there can be no question that Apple will massively promote Super Mario Run further when it goes live – also all for free
•even though Android was ignored at launch, Google most likely will do similar/free promotions when Super Mario Run gets available on their devices in 2017
•etc. etc.

It's a good analysis. I thought he was a bit hard on Miyamoto and I don't think Nintendo has been nearly as bad about messaging for their systems before this gen, but maybe I'm misremembering.

More at the link:

http://www.serkantoto.com/2016/09/09/super-mario-run-how-many-downloads/

(Via: http://www.serkantoto.com/2016/09/09/super-mario-run-how-many-downloads/ and GoNintendo.com)

georly

It's a free to download app, advertised on the apple stage, with one of the most recognizable IP out there. Of course it will. Isn't it highlighted on the app store right now? I wonder how many people have already hit the 'notify me' button.

The real bit of news is the number of people who pay for it and how much more money this makes nintendo than your average mario game with 10x the budget.

Neoxon

I'd be shocked if it wasn't a hit, though this is really more of a follow-up to Miitomo than Pokémon GO (given that this is another Nintendo/DeNA mobile game).

Either way, the real test is if it'll retain more of its users than Miitomo did.

blamite

Yeah I thought Miyamoto was pretty clear on stage that there'd be a price tag to download the app. Unless that got clarified afterwards?

georly

Then you buy the rest of the game. It's basically a demo then a full game purchase.

Was it clarified that it's just 'buy the rest' and not on a world-by-world basis?

I also assume they'll likely add more content after it becomes successful, though they could very well do a sequel (in whatever art style the next 2D mario game on NX uses.)

It's a free to download app, advertised on the apple stage, with one of the most recognizable IP out there. Of course it will. Isn't it highlighted on the app store right now? I wonder how many people have already hit the 'notify me' button.

The real bit of news is the number of people who pay for it and how much more money this makes nintendo than your average mario game with 10x the budget.
I hit it :)

I'm ready

Yeah I thought Miyamoto was pretty clear on stage that there'd be a price tag to download the app. Unless that got clarified afterwards?
It's free to download with a small portion available to play. The remainder is purchased through a one-time IAP at a currently unannounced price.

DekuLink

M533dzO.png

http://supermariorun.com/en/index.html

Maxinas

If it's $0.99 - $4.99 i can see it doing extremely well. $9.99 or more is a bit too much for a mobile game, regardless of quality.

It's "free to start" which basically means you get a few levels to start and then pay for the full game.

They've done that a few other times.

wrowa

It depends on how substantial its social features are and how often (if at all) it'll get content updates, I'd say. If it's a straight Mario runner with 8 worlds and some barebones social features, I don't think this will have quite the staying power to reach these heights. And even then, 1.5 billion is, well, 1.5 billion.

But what do I know.

tebunker

Banned
Look if the do get 1.5B downloads and convert just 1% to paying customers it will immediately be one of the best selling 'Mario' games by # of purchases, not revenue. We're talking potentially 15 million paid customers. This isn't too crazy.

It will probably be a $10 plus app. People may think that insane but there are other games in those price ranges. They arent the ridiculous cahs cows the ftp games are, but none of them are Mario either.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There's not a chance in hell it gets 1 billion $4.99 purchases. Free downloads, maybe, but the upgrade rate will be a small faction.

True - but there is also no way that 5usd will be the max amount people will spend on the game. I expect Nintendo to drop new levels, characters and challenges every couple months - some for free some will cost.

Ninja Dom

True - but there is also no way that 5usd will be the max amount people will spend on the game. I expect Nintendo to drop new levels, characters and challenges every couple months - some for free some will cost.

At the Apple presentation Miyamoto gave the impression that there would only be a single one-off payment and that's all. No continuing in app purchases.

Memento

At the Apple presentation Miyamoto gave the impression that there would only be a single one-off payment and that's all. No continuing in app purchases.
Yup, he made it quite clear that it would be a single, one time purchase to be more accessible, particularly to children.

The real bit of news, as a fan of console games, is how this affects Nintendo's console output. Will it bring more people onto their consoles, as they hope?

Toxi

Banned
Pokemon Go just cleared 500 million downloads and was an incredible unprecedented success. Predicting 1.5 billion for Mario Runner is hilariously absurd.

I've always been skeptical of that being the case, but, so far Pokémon Go has been proving my skepticism wrong.

Who knows, maybe they're on to something. If a kid plays Run on their parent's cell phone then sees Super Mario Galaxy Sunshine 3D NX Land World in the store, they might need it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Pokemon Go just cleared 500 million downloads and was an incredible unprecedented success. Predicting 1.5 billion for Mario Runner is hilariously absurd.

It must be said that pokemon go was.the fastest app game ever reaching 500 millions download but other games have reached higher "ltd" numbers so if it will be still able to sustain its success it could go there

And mario could be a similar success (could, I am not sure about it)

Top Bottom