• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon faces backlash for Donald Trump interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of late night talk shows go into politics. Have done so since before Carson (no, not Daly). Letterman was a talk show host..talked politics with Trump. Colbert is a talk show host..talked politics with Trump. The fuck is this "talk shows are only comedy" nonsense coming from?

MartyStu

"Person does one thing I personally disagree with, is now an abhorrent shithead". Ideological purity is the worst.

Again, not his job. Get mad at the real journalists who didn't take him seriously until he started winning primaries.

The Worst.

Not 'ideological purity' each person has certain boundaries that they do not like crossed.

Kinyou

This is how Fallon greeted Hillary last night by the way

hillary-fallon-mask-575x383.jpg
That seems like a pretty mild topical joke.

Indeed. Trump is no joke despite his own idiocy.

He's a joke to those on the left that were so emotionally invested but not thinking that they reblog all the things he says so they can disagree with them, post videos on facebook and other social media outlets. So yes, you're right ... but the joke angle which the side that's against him has done so well pushing, has only helped him.

I wish I was American so I could say, "as an American I'm happy to say I have not once posted a single word, video, link, etc about Trump." But I can't make that quote, and most of those in the U.S. that are in this thread can't either.

Congrats. You're all playing yourselves.

I doubt Jimmy Fallon will ever be able to recover from this mistake. He's done.

You surely can't be serious.

Fallon is a goofy hack who laughs at his own jokes, and I think he's a garbage late-night host.

However he's never been a hard hitting journalist and I don't think anyone should expect him to be.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh Jesus fucking Christ.

You give way too much credit to Jimmy Fallon.

No one is watching the tonight show and going "man, I was gonna vote for Hillary or third party but boy am I a Trump voter now!!"

Its about a cultural attitude towards Trump, and its an attitude that still treats him too much as "haha wow Trump is running that's so crazy" and not "holy shit we have someone who routinely implies freedom of the press is a bad thing, would overhaul the American military chain of command if he got into office, frequently praises Putin, and has more eager support of American white supremacy movements than any candidate in decades"

comedian

He's a talk show host, not the host of the evening news. Jimmy Fallon is not Water Cronkite or David Frost, so I'm not sure what some people are expecting. When was the last time a presidential nominee got a grilling during a late night talk show ?

DeathyBoy

Banned
You do know Hilary approved this, right?

People do realize every late night talk show interview is planned before taping? It's why I dig Ferguson, he didn't do any of that shit.

Ferguson was amazing because he's so good at improv that when shit goes fucked up is often the best part of the show.

Like when he broke a camera and fucking started sweeping up the glass on air...

Jonm1010

Banned
People like Fallon normalize and humanize Donald Trump, which is not acceptable.
Like I said, no one is watching Fallon and magically turning into a Trump supporter.

Sorry pal, you can get mad all you want but he is a major candidate for office in this country and is going to get plenty of cupcake interviews.

Try spending time on shit that actually matters. Like idk, voting, volunteering, advocating at platforms where this shit does matter and less on scouring the Internet and whining about a lack of subjective ideological purity standards meaningless talk show hosts aren't holding themselves too.

You come off completely unhinged and oblivious to reality by making this some weird battleground moment.

He's a talk show host, not the evening news. Jimmy Fallon is not Water Cronkite or David Frost, so I'm not sure what some people are expecting ? When was the last time a presidential nominee got a grilling during a late night talk show ?

As discussed above, talk show hosts have and should take their guests to task when appropriate. Colbert, Letterman, Carson, etc. They're not just fleshlights for the guest to fuck.

Like I said, no one is watching Fallon and magically turning into a Trump supporter.

Sorry pal, you can get mad all you want but he is a major candidate for office in this country and is going to get plenty of cupcake interviews.

Try spending time on shit that actually matters. Like idk, voting, volunteering and less on scouring the Internet and whining about a lack of subjective ideological purity standards meaningless talk show hosts aren't holding themselves too.

You come off completely unhinged and oblivious to reality by making this some weird battleground moment.

I guess if there's anyone who is getting unhinged, it's not the poster who is resorting to ad hominems against other posters on a forum thread.

Fletcher

edit:already posted

I miss Letterman and wish he'd go back on Colbert now that he's just straight up making fun of him all the time now.

Window

If you can only do vacuous, light-hearted interviews, you probably shouldn't invite a guy like Trump to be a guest. I mean, you CAN, but be prepared to eat some shit from people who have a modicum of integrity.

In his prime, Letterman would have eviscerated Trump AND been funny.
Yep pretty much. All Fallon is capable of is, as the OP put it "to fuck around and have a laugh". His interviews are unbearable. Good talk show hosts can inject a bit of zest, wit and substance in even the most mundane topics of conversation.

Ferguson was amazing because he's so good at improv that when shit goes fucked up is often the best part of the show.

Like when he broke a camera and fucking started sweeping up the glass on air...

I love Ferguson. His whole story is just fascinating. Plus, I'm Scottish.

I don't think you can really hold it against Fallon, this is the exact kind of bullshit these kinds of shows exist for, particularly the Tonight Show. As safe as possible, as straight-down-the-middle as possible, for an aging audience, etc.

I think I might have been a little more upset if Fallon was still doing Late Night, as that seemed to allow for a bit more personal expression, but Tonight Show Fallon... I mean, this is what the show is. (I'm not saying that's a good thing, mind you, I just get that it's aimed at a completely different group than us.)

Fallon fucking sucks btw and I'm glad he's finally being criticized for his vapid routine. We'll forget about this in a week anyway so nothing will happen.

darscot

I found it, I dunno the right word, disgusting is to strong, but it kinda makes you sick to watch. I have no understanding why people just grovel to Trump and throw him softballs and stroke his ego. To be fair I couldn't get through the whole thing but from what I saw Fallon is basically in awe of him. The whole have you played Sorry with Monopoly come back was such a set up and so rehearsed, who are they kidding. Actually disgusting is the correct word.

knicks

Fallon showcased Donald Trump as a lovable grandpa. This interview made a horrible person look like a good person, and in a time where it is more important than ever to show ones true colors given the situation. Shame on Fallon.

aeolist

Banned
fallon is the most white bread ass kissing toadie i've ever seen on tv

he's so desperate to be liked and make everyone look good it's kinda gross

Snwaters

Don't really have a problem with this. He's reacting to who his guest is. When Hillary, or someone like Obama comes on, he gets somewhat serious while still maintaining that comedic role. They are serious people/candidates, so he treats them seriously.

By contrast, Donald Trump is a clown, and as such Fallon treats him like one.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wow, it's almost as if... it's a lighthearted joke that made Hillary and the audience laugh and make light of the health controversy. Disgraceful, disrespectful Fallon at it again!!

Yes, Fallon should have worn a KKK hood while high-fiving Trump. Hahahahahahahaha Light hearted joke, everyone laughs!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't think you can really hold it against Fallon, this is the exact kind of bullshit these kinds of shows exist for, particularly the Tonight Show. As safe as possible, as straight-down-the-middle as possible, for an aging audience, etc.

I think I might have been a little more upset if Fallon was still doing Late Night, as that seemed to allow for a bit more personal expression, but Tonight Show Fallon... I mean, this is what the show is.

Donald Trump is not Mitt Romney, or John McCain, or George W Bush, or any other presidential candidate in decades, regardless of political affiliation. Donald Trump has a platform that is explicitly built on hate and implicitly built on violence. I pushed back against calling him "fascist" six months ago, now I no longer can

Don't really have a problem with this. He's reacting to who his guest is. When Hillary, or someone like Obama comes on, he gets somewhat serious while still maintaining that comedic role. They are serious people/candidates, so he treats them seriously.

By contrast, Donald Trump is a clown, and as such Fallon treats him like one.

No. He's not. Arrrrrrrghhhh

Nosgotham

Plenty of late night talk shows go into politics. Have done so since before Carson (no, not Daly). Letterman was a talk show host..talked politics with Trump. Colbert is a talk show host..talked politics with Trump. The fuck is this "talk shows are only comedy" nonsense coming from?

not ''talk shows'', jimmy fallon is though. Colbert would make sense but fallon does what fallon does. he makes fun of candidates in monlogues but thats it as far as political input.

kmfdmpig

If the "reputable" media did their job then 95% of Americans would hate Trump. They pull their punches with him, don't hold him accountable for the numerous things he has said which would have derailed any other candidate in the last 80 years, and treat him as if he's an equally viable choice.

Should it fall on Fallon to fix that? Not really, but that still doesn't make this palatable or amusing.

Jonm1010

Banned
As discussed above, talk show hosts have and should take their guests to task when appropriate. Colbert, Letterman, Carson, etc. They're not just fleshlights for the guest to fuck.

I guess if there's anyone who is getting unhinged, it's not the poster who is resorting to ad hominems against other posters on a forum thread.

No ad hominems detected.

But have fun getting all worked up over Jimmy fucking Fallon lol.

Im sure come 25 years from now it will be Jimmy Fallon all the historians point to as why Trump won the presidency.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I don't agree with this backlash at all. Jimmy Fallon is a comedian,

People really expect him to invite Trump on his show then just grill him with political questions the whole time?

No ad hominems detected.

But have fun getting all worked up over Jimmy fucking Fallon lol.

Im sure come 25 years from now it will be Jimmy Fallon all the historians point to as why Trump won the presidency.

"unhinged" uh, that is generally what a normal person considers an ad hominem. But I guess the best source on that would be the person who made the ad hominem in the first place.

Oh, and you're right, I'm the one who is worked up - not the person who is so upset that they're resorting to swearing at people over a discussion ;P

Jesus Christ whether its this or offensive jokes apparently you can't criticize a comedian on GAF without everyone coming out of the woodwork

Comedians are special snowflakes

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I don't agree with this backlash at all. Jimmy Fallon is a comedian,

People really expect him to invite Trump on his show then just grill him with political questions the whole time?

Ah, nuance, what is it? Not grill, no. See Letterman for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom