• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

Jonnyram

This is the game I bought a PS3 for.
It IS Ridge Racer 6 Director's Cut, but...!

+ All the RR6 tracks seem to have new textures. This is particularly noticeable on the roads, which now have proper markings like a race track, rather than the noisy textures on the 360 version
+ All the old green, pasty tracks are now super colourful and stuff
+ New animations, like planes landing in different places, leaves blowing, that kind of thing
+ Awesome, awesome music
+ Spanking new menu system
+ Oh, some new tracks, which rock
+ Car customization, paint, decals, everything
+ New nitrous techniques
+ Online touched up
+ Constant live feed of rankings and shit
+ Xevious > all previous Namco intro games
+ Load times are sweet if you install it on HDD

- Jaggies, even at 1080p downscaled to 720p by my TV there are still jaggies
- Some weird depth effects
- Cars all sound like lawnmowers now
- In 5.1 it's hard to hear the voices of the commentator dude/girl
- text chat instead of voice :/
- no funky ridge intro... wtf!!!

I have played the crap out of the 360 version. Gaffers know this. I have praised it, promoted it, and defended it through hell and high water. But still, I love this version. The new colourful versions of the tracks, mixed with the new music and customization options makes this a very playable game for Ridge fans. The rankings will also mean people keep playing it for a looooooong time. I hope the counter doesn't stop with 9999 races this time - that was such a shame on the 360 version (>_<)

RIDGE RACER FO' LIFE YO!

The name of the game should never have been Ridge 7 though... it's blatantly Ridge 6 DC

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
i want a funky fresh intro.

Thanks for the news johnny

oh and lucky bastard having a ps3 before me

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Jonnyram said:

THIS CANNOT BE

Man, they could have upscaled the RR2 intro and allowed you to endlessly replay the last four seconds and that would have been enough.

Xevious makes up for it, though, apart from me recalling the first time I got to the mirrors playing it in my local chippy and then realising that was TWENTY-FOUR YEARS AGO.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
namco should've delayed this until they had at least a dozen new tracks. i'm not paying $60 for rr6 turbo.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
no cool intro?!?!?! What the holy f*ck?!?!??!?! Ok since I have RR6 its time to just rent 7 and instead pick up... hell what am I going to pick up now? <sigh>

drohne

no, rr7 isn't for the hardcore fans either -- the hardcore fans have already played 75% of its content.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
drohne said:
no, rr7 isn't for the hardcore fans either -- the hardcore fans have already played 75% of its content.

Exactly what this man said.

drohne said:

You forget, as we can see from the thread starter, people still defend buying the 75% same game as long as the Ridge Racer name is on it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I doesn't give me much hope, but if you think about it, 6 new tracks is still more than many of the older Ridge Racer games.

ram

what about cars? same old cars from ridge racer 6 or the other games? or did we get new cars. how about the tuning? is there a way to listen to the music?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
RaijinFY said:

:lol that bother me more than only 6 new tracks. Namco releases RR5 in 2000, waits six years, then pumps out 6 & 7 a year apart.

Elios83

Since I've not played RR6 it sounds great to me.
Although I'll probably skip it to buy Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword when PS3 launches in Europe next March
March 2010 of course

Yeah, I'm really on the fence on this, I was going to pick up Resistance and RR7 at launch now I'm sort of torn because I've played a lot of RR6. Problem is, I'm not sure yet what I would get in it's place...

CloudV

Having not played RR6 because I don't have a xbox, I am really looking forward to this. However, I was kind of hoping if they would remix or include some of the older tracks as well if they were going to include RR6 tracks.

I am also a big ridge sound fan, and R4 and RRV soundtracks are considered must haves for any driving experience, how does the music compare to those? It sounds like you are liking it, but I can't wait to hear the tracks myself.

I have a question though, can you play your own tracks? Also, do you think it will be possible to download new tracks/courses? Does it look like they left that possibility in?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So is the customization completely cosmetic? Or is there a sort of Rage Racer thing going on where you kind of 'step-up' performance of the cars to compete in tougher race classes?

Also, how is the campaign structured this time around?

Troidal

Well, those who dont own a 360 and wants RR should be getting this.

But I am personally disgusted of a rehashed RR6 and had the cajones to rename it RR7.

Glad I didn't need to pick this sucker up (I am still halfway with RR6 anyhow).

On my 720p LCD, why does RR6 360 look better than RR7?

RR6 360
+ More organic visuals, everything flows well, from colors to textures, much less jaggies.
+ Better menus

RR7 PS3
- Jag fest (at 720p, haven't seen 1080p)
- Nitrous effect is just ugly, too digital-like.
- What happened to RR's interface? What is this shit?!

+ Short CG movies of Extreme CU of Reiko's body, from head to toe.
+ Colours through HDMI just pop!!!

Thank you Bandai Namco!

Defuser

memecomplex said:

RR6 360
+ More organic visuals, everything flows well, from colors to textures, much less jaggies.
+ Better menus

RR7 PS3

Thank you Bandai Namco!
Because RR7 is a 1080p game?

Zaptruder

Banned
Troidal said:
Well, those who dont own a 360 and wants RR should be getting this.

But I am personally disgusted of a rehashed RR6 and had the cajones to rename it RR7.

Glad I didn't need to pick this sucker up (I am still halfway with RR6 anyhow).

If I could swap my copy of RR6 for RR7, I totally would. I'd even throw in an extra 20 bucks.

But I can't, so really, passing this one up.

Unless it has FF wheel support.

Jonnyram! DCharlie! Does it have FF wheel support?!

Defuser said:
So that means it should look worse on a 720p than RR6, if that's the reason that sucks for the 90% of percent of people who have 720p TVs rather than 1080p ones.

MegaTen

Banned
Wait, I remember seeing a Reiko Nagase render in early magazine scans... why didn't Namco put her in an intro again? nooooooo

ThirdEye

memecomplex said:

RR6 360
+ Better menus

RR7 PS3

Thank you Bandai Namco!
Replace your crap TV and be happy.

Why would a 1080p game look that much worse in 720p? Is there are reason for this?

If you check out DC Charlie's shots (assuming he has a 1080p monitor) you can clearly see the jaggies, and some horrendous textures, e.g. the water.

Genji on the other hand looks like it's got full-screen AA at 720p.

Big RR fan, very, very, dissapointed.

Jonnyram

memecomplex said:
That's not HDMI. They've actually made the old courses more colourful. Check out Crossbay Tunnel now. It's insane.

Re: customisation.
It makes a big difference, and it may well make online more unbalanced than even RR6 was. It's obvious about the path through single player - you unlock new makers, buy the aero parts from them, then upgrade engine, nitrous, etc. and start performing better in the harder races. But you are actually affecting your highest top speed, your turning ability and your nitrous recharging rate - all factors that benefit you online over someone who hasn't done that yet (btw, in the online games tonight, I hadn't gotten that far with single player, so don't moan about me cheating, reno :p)

When everyone's unlocked everything, and found the optimum setup for basically infinite nitrous (as had happened to RR6), basically the only difference will be visual.

Oh yeah SLOWDOWN!
Because of the way the GP races work, you will see slowdown happen quite a bit now - 8 cars all grouped close to each other, let off a nitrous and the frames just drop :(

drohne

i don't see why rr7 would be jaggier than rr6. if it's rendering in 1080p and downscaling -- and it may just be rendering in 720p -- it should be cleaner. maybe it's a difference in the way your tv handles a digital signal?

Jonnyram

drohne said:
i don't see why rr7 would be jaggier than rr6. if it's rendering in 1080p and downscaling -- and it may just be rendering in 720p -- it should be cleaner. maybe it's a difference in the way your tv handles a digital signal?
Perhaps it's just a matter of anti-aliasing :p Don't read too much into it.

drohne

but rr6 doesn't use any aa. well, i guess i'll see in a week if i crack and buy rr7 afterall.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, uh the jaggy thing makes no sense.

RR6 was one of those jaggy games on X360 which used NO AA at all. But when playing at 60fps 1280x720 you really couldn't see the jaggies at all.

RR7 probably uses no AA at all and is the same engine. But since it's 1080p and down-scaling to 720p it should give the illusion of free AA and should look LESS jaggy than RR6.

Although, has anyone tried component vs. componenet? Could it be that the sharper HDMI signal makes jaggies more visible?

Jonnyram said:
Oh yeah SLOWDOWN!
Because of the way the GP races work, you will see slowdown happen quite a bit now - 8 cars all grouped close to each other, let off a nitrous and the frames just drop :(

SLOWDOWN? Are you frackin' kidding me?

Slowdown+jaggies+voiceless = see ya in the $20 pile.

Jonnyram

First of all, both you and drohne are daft for thinking neither of them use AA. You can see the AA crystal clear. But you can still get jaggies with AA. I can see the AA with my naked eye in both games. Just for some reason the jaggies are more noticeable in 7. It might be because the palette is a bit more colourful in 7, to be honest. They really have brightened stuff up a lot. But that means higher contrast, which shows off jaggies more.

Manp

Defuser said:

actually if the game renders in 1080p and the output is 720p you should get free supersampling AA on the 720p downscaled image

:)

Top Bottom