• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

maxmars said:
That's more important than having voice chat from day one.

Except we are also seeing titles that aren't even online that are on 360. Ultimately the lassiez faire approach that Sony is taking may mean that online is just never as well supported as on the 360. Which may be fine for the more casual online gamers, but the really serious online gamers won't even think twice about paying for a better service. Lots of us spend 90% of our gaming time online.

The great thing is that I can (and will) add Wii and PS3 to my setup and complement the solid online core of games on the 360. Man, I hope Nintendo gets it together by the time stuff like Mario Golf and Mario Kart are released...

That's not HDMI. They've actually made the old courses more colourful. Check out Crossbay Tunnel now. It's insane.

I think HDMI is a factor. Colors are far more saturated, more vibrant than VGA. Also PS3 games sounds really good, really sharp and clear. It's noticeable in like a higher bitrate or sampling - something to do with uncompressed audio maybe?

Yeah I forgot about the slowdown on RR7. **** Bandai Namco!
Seriously I popped the ol RR6 and I was just bowled by how smooth everything was.

But there's that hope that RR7 looks kick-ass on 1080p. I do want to believe that.

And you can use the sixaxis tilt-function to look around, but it's totally useless. The way it responds is totally retarded, so when you tilt around it's all a little bit too juddery for me liking. Granted with practice it might be ok, but somehow I doubt it.

Anyways you Reiko fans, she's still in CG form in the game... but she's looking a little strange.

Edit: To clarify, I've got an LCD Bravia, and it's been tuned by an audiophile mate. It's a really good TV other than the fact it's 1 year old and can't do 1080p.

That's more important than having voice chat from day one.

Sure. I always enjoy taking that sharp turn, then taking my hands off the wheel to type a message to another driver.

I guess a unified online service really is over-rated to some people.

Soul4ger

What the ****, only six new courses? First they pull this shit with Ridge Racers 2, and now with RR7? What a load of crap.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
RR7 probably uses no AA at all and is the same engine. But since it's 1080p and down-scaling to 720p it should give the illusion of free AA and should look LESS jaggy than RR6.

it doesn't though. so... er... pass on what that means! :)

bud

memecomplex said:
Why would a 1080p game look that much worse in 720p? Is there are reason for this?

If you check out DC Charlie's shots (assuming he has a 1080p monitor) you can clearly see the jaggies, and some horrendous textures, e.g. the water.

Genji on the other hand looks like it's got full-screen AA at 720p.

Big RR fan, very, very, dissapointed.

dc has a 720p projector

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
You can install PS3 games onto the HDD????????????????????????????????????

The extra question marks are there so someone will read my post.

Bud said:
dc has a 720p projector

So there's hope that it's going to look as advertised on 1080p.
If it looks great, then there's some lazy ass downscaling going on with the PS3.

Bandai Namco loves you!

Does Namco recycle content in all their games and sequels. rr and rr2 on PSP were almost the same game and RR6 and RR7 are pretty much the same as well. Before rr on PSP I had never played a Ridge Racer game before. I ask because Tekken games in the same generation also seem to recycle quite a bit too..

That said Im playing the heck out of RR7!

RSLAEV

RaijinFY said:
- no funky ridge intro... wtf!!!

lol, seriously It's not place lacking here I mean... oh and **** Namco!!!!

Does the 360 version have an intro? I still haven't picked it up yet and I'm curious...

bud

memecomplex said:
So there's hope that it's going to look as advertised on 1080p.
If it looks great, then there's some lazy ass downscaling going on with the PS3.

Bandai Namco loves you!

Can you show me some pics of your ps3 and setup? :)

icecream

Public Health Threat
RSLAEV said:
Does the 360 version have an intro? I still haven't picked it up yet and I'm curious...
If by intro we mean an opening movie, then yes.

I want some shots of RR7 Reiko and whatever else stat. :D

BuddyC

dirtmonkey37 said:

Some, but not all. They still require the disc either way, but it'll cut back on load times.

So, yes.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
BuddyC said:
Some, but not all. They still require the disc either way, but it'll cut back on load times.

So, yes.

Wait, I don' t understand why it's possible......Doesn't this promote a person bringing their game to their friend's house and just installing it on the HDD, so then the friend has it and doesn't have to pay for the full game himself equalling less money for Sony?

bud

dirtmonkey37 said:
Wait, I don' t understand why it's possible......Doesn't this promote a person bringing their game to their friend's house and just installing it on the HDD, so then the friend has it and doesn't have to pay for the full game himself equalling less money for Sony?

it doesn't install the entire game dummy :p

Speevy

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

Did you read the post you just replied to? It's for caching. You can't save the whole game on the hard drive. Well, that's not an option in any of the games, anyway.

dirtmonkey37 said:

Read!!!!!!:lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dirtmonkey37 said:

Yep, Sony is pretty generous this next gen. First, they encourage us to share premium downloadable games with 5 other people for free. Then they let us copy PS3 games to our HDD and avoid paying for the game. Ain't it cool?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
dirtmonkey37 said:
just quoting this post cause it seems cool. ;)

no complete game installs. :p

Zaptruder

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

This may well be the most quoted post in a row on GAF history!

dirtmonkey37 said:

Some games will come with an option to "install" the game to the hdd, what this does is places a fairly large portion of the game onto it's hdd so when you load level's it takes minimum time and less reading the blu-ray. This does not mean you can rent a game and keep it when the game goes back as you still have to use the game itself for more then just booting.

anyone who has played 6 is kind of screwed with a new half game in 7. I've never touched it, so 7 will be all new and good for me : )

So are the graphics a decent step up from the 360 version or is it relatively the same but with cars having more reflective surfaces?

datamage said:
Hmm, there would be no point in owning RR6 and RR7, right? Would it be a good idea to get rid of 6 and just get 7?

I for one will keep playing RR6 with my friends because we actually like to talk together when we play.

Not to mention the slowdown. Ridge games are NOT supposed to have slowdown. This shocks me more than anything else.

Jonnyram

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Not to mention the slowdown. Ridge games are NOT supposed to have slowdown. This shocks me more than anything else.
It's not a frequent occurence, assuming you stay in 1st place most of the time. It mainly happens when there's a lot of cars on the screen, but because all the GP races are 8 cars, and all 8 cars stick together in a pack, if you are behind them and use nitrous, you may well see slowdown.

Oh yeah, the GPs. They're a group of races, from 3 races to 5+ depending on the GP. There's 8 cars in each race, and if you finish in 1st you will start in 1st in the next race. It actually feels like I'm racing around on my own half the time.

There are some of the old 14 car races. They're now called "Overtake 13" races, and you usually get them as single races in UFRA challenges or Maker challenges. There's also duels, quad racers and time trials. In the last one you are literally the only car on the road. I have done 6 GPs, 6 maker races and about 8 UFRA challenges and I have come in first everytime. Yep, it still has the typical Ridge challenge slope :/ I'm sure stuff will ramp up sooner or later, but there doesn't seem to be a quick way to get there.

vspectra06 said:
So are the graphics a decent step up from the 360 version or is it relatively the same but with cars having more reflective surfaces?
Generally it looks better because of the extra colour and lighting. Technically, I'm not sure if it is a better engine or not... it might be, but the difference is negligible. It's all in the style, this time.

ourumov

Yep, from what I noticed at Toys' R US in Kobe the game is jagish as hell...I was expecting GAF reactions like "OMFG RRV all over again, sell your PS3s" but well, the fact is that the game looks nice but simple. I guess that whatever person that thinks that RR greateness is far beyond the gfx will like it.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Generally it looks better because of the extra colour and lighting. Technically, I'm not sure if it is a better engine or not... it might be, but the difference is negligible. It's all in the style, this time.

It's pretty obvious the improvements are a result of a one year time gap rather than the PS3 being the more powerful piece of hardware.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ChrisAllenFiz said:
The truth is the series is dead on its feet in terms of innovation and gameplay. For the hardcore fans only!

That's right. For HARDCORE fans! This game doesn't apply to you, sir! Bring it on, I say!

gutter_trash said:
for music, is there custom tracks available? I want to shove Blue Disk MP3s in my future PS3

This needs to be answered.

Jonnyram said:
Oh yeah SLOWDOWN!
Because of the way the GP races work, you will see slowdown happen quite a bit now - 8 cars all grouped close to each other, let off a nitrous and the frames just drop :(

Slowdown is inexcusable. Have you tried configuring your graphics card, or removing stuff in your system tray?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Yep, from what I noticed at Toys' R US in Kobe the game is jagish as hell...I was expecting GAF reactions like "OMFG RRV all over again, sell your PS3s" but well, the fact is that the game looks nice but simple. I guess that whatever person that thinks that RR greateness is far beyond the gfx will like it.

it's weird - the Bravia's running RR in Shibuya where they were set to 720p made quite a mess of the display, but those running 1080p looked absolutely amazing.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
For those of you in Japan who went out and bought the game at an actual store.....can I ask you a question?

Did they have a FFB steering wheel called the GT Force RX on the shelves? If so, can I ask why you didn't buy it for Ridge Racer 7?

isamu said:
For those of you in Japan who went out and bought the game at an actual store.....can I ask you a question?

Did they have a FFB steering wheel called the GT Force RX on the shelves? If so, can I ask why you didn't buy it for Ridge Racer 7?

Why are you bothering to ask? You didn't even buy a 360 or RR6 after pretending to spooge over it for months...did you?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
There's somebody with a gamertag very similar to the name isamu that has a shit load of RR6 achievments, which are hard as **** to get. I've seen him online in races.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
memecomplex said:
I think HDMI is a factor. Colors are far more saturated, more vibrant than VGA. Also PS3 games sounds really good, really sharp and clear. It's noticeable in like a higher bitrate or sampling - something to do with uncompressed audio maybe?

It's not HDMI. I'm playing on a 480p TV, and when I boot up RR6 on a monitor next to it, RR7 clearly looks sharper and more colorful. It's definitely the better-looking game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Slowdown, jaggies, lack of new content, and other bullsh*t.

I'm quite bummed about the whole ordeal. Sounds like RR7 is a complete bust.

Why the f*ck am I even buying this system?! I suppose the simple fact that, with Gears already out, there isn't a single other game I want to buy for the remainder of the holiday on any system I own. :(

2006 has been a terrible year for everything, and it's a shame to see one of my hobbies (gaming) following suit.

dark10x said:
Slowdown, jaggies, lack of new content, and other bullsh*t.

I'm quite bummed about the whole ordeal. Sounds like RR7 is a complete bust.

Why the f*ck am I even buying this system?! I suppose the simple fact that, with Gears already out, there isn't a single other game I want to buy for the remainder of the holiday on any system I own. :(

2006 has been a terrible year for everything, and it's a shame to see one of my hobbies (gaming) following suit.

:lol yea sounds like you are having a horrible year, I had one last year

Anyway my interest in Namco is just fading away very slowly. Charging full price for Ridge Racer 2 on PSP which is basically the same game as RR1, charging full price for Ace Combat Zero which is screams an add on pack, short Ace Combat X campaign, horrible looking next generation games, multiple cancellations.... seems the company is having major problems ever since Bandai took over em.

I was VERY excited about the next Tekken and Ace Combat games but after Ridge Racer 7, Love Footbal, Gundam, FCK and the rest of the bs its very hard to get excited

Top Bottom