• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

Doom_Bringer said:
:lol yea sounds like you are having a horrible year, I had one last year

Anyway my interest in Namco is just fading away very slowly. Charging full price for Ridge Racer 2 on PSP which is basically the same game as RR1, charging full price for Ace Combat Zero which is screams an add on pack, short Ace Combat X campaign, horrible looking next generation games, multiple cancellations.... seems the company is having major problems ever since Bandai took over em.

I was VERY excited about the next Tekken and Ace Combat games but after Ridge Racer 7, Love Footbal, Gundam, FCK and the rest of the bs its very hard to get excited

It's no longer Namco anymore. It's Bandai Namco, and remember Bandai Namco loves you!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bebpo said:
But since it's 1080p and down-scaling to 720p it should give the illusion of free AA
Only if it uses smart downsampling - straight bilinear scale on non-power of 2 scales varies from moderately shitty to downright bad.
And I wouldn't be surprised if TVs suck at doing this well with CG, they are optimized for very different content (he explicitly noted he ran it in 1080P with TV scaling).

Lyte Edge said:
It's not HDMI. I'm playing on a 480p TV, and when I boot up RR6 on a monitor next to it, RR7 clearly looks sharper and more colorful. It's definitely the better-looking game.

Yes the game is more vibrant compared to the muted hues of RR6 like Johhnyram said, so it's evident even on a standard def monitor. But HDMI makes colors, brightness, saturation, contrast, everything go through the roof. I had to dial down from my regular component/VGA settings. You will hear the home theatre guys say the same thing about HDMI DVD players. It's pure digital sex.

DCharlie said:
it's weird - the Bravia's running RR in Shibuya where they were set to 720p made quite a mess of the display, but those running 1080p looked absolutely amazing.

That's good to hear!
Lazy ass downscaling confirmed!

Ideally all of the PS3 games should render native 720p when running in that mode instead of internally downsampling 1080p where present.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hey, what about the plug-in system they said they were adding to RR7? The one that could give cars special abilities beyond the normal customizations? Is that in there?

Troidal

I downloaded the RR7 demo, I have to say colors are definitely more vibrant. I haven't adjusted the colors on my HDMI connection yet, but comparing it with RR6 (VGA 720p), colors are definitely the striking difference. Jaggies are somewhat more obvious, the nitrous effect is very pixelated looking, and some of the environment effects like waterfall look saturated. Anyhow, I haven't set my colors yet so that might be part of the cause. Either way, color was the biggest difference I noticed.

I hate the bland interface, I'm guessing this is the same in the final version? RR6 definitely has a stylish GUI.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ichigo kurosaki said:
Judging by that pics... The 360 version actually looks better.
Hey, you changed your comment from the moment I read the topic to the moment I pressed the quote button :D
The 360 version had this "metallic" color scheme that the PS3 version doesn't have, so it's easy to see which is which.

Blimblim said:
Hey, you changed your comment from the moment I read the topic to the moment I pressed the quote button :D
The 360 version had this "metallic" color scheme that the PS3 version doesn't have, so it's easy to see which is which.

Yeah, at first I thought you had switched the pics accidentally but I looked for a 360 pic and noticed they are right. I stress what I said before, judging by those pics, the 360 version looks better. The colors in the PS3 version look so... dull.

Jonnyram

I'm now at 35.5% Ridge State GP Completion with 11:46 on the clock. Yup, it's just as long and drawn out as the 360 version. I still haven't come below 1st in a single race and I'm almost done with the rank 2 machines now (going up to rank 1 GPs next - the opposite order to 360 version).

Hmm, I see "ereki" is top of all the rankings. He was on my 360 friendlist for a while too, and he only ever played RR6 for the past year -_-;

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS3 picture there looks like a video capture, with color bleeding and all. You can't trust the colors on a capture like that, and compare to a direct feed buffer cap of X360 version.

Raistlin

ichigo kurosaki said:
Yeah, at first I thought you had switched the pics accidentally but I looked for a 360 pic and noticed they are right. I stress what I said before, judging by those pics, the 360 version looks better. The colors in the PS3 version look so... dull.

Since basically everyone that has posted comparison impressions has gone out of their way to comment on how the PS3 colors are actually more vivid ... and that in general the game is crisper ...

... I think there may be some issues in how those pics were captured.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
cvxfreak said:
It's pretty obvious the improvements are a result of a one year time gap rather than the PS3 being the more powerful piece of hardware.
That may well be true for this game, except for 1080p which is a material difference.

dark10x said:
2006 has been a terrible year for everything, and it's a shame to see one of my hobbies (gaming) following suit.
That sucks :\ I'm actually quite happy with how 2006 turned out, but that more due to PSP than any other platform.

RaijinFY

Doom_Bringer said:
:lol yea sounds like you are having a horrible year, I had one last year

Anyway my interest in Namco is just fading away very slowly. Charging full price for Ridge Racer 2 on PSP which is basically the same game as RR1, charging full price for Ace Combat Zero which is screams an add on pack, short Ace Combat X campaign, horrible looking next generation games, multiple cancellations.... seems the company is having major problems ever since Bandai took over em.

I was VERY excited about the next Tekken and Ace Combat games but after Ridge Racer 7, Love Football, Gundam, FCK and the rest of the bs its very hard to get excited

Gosh... wasnt that turd canned?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Blimblim said:
You can see that there is a problem with the PS3 capture. Take a look at the aviator loop logo and text. I think that is having a negative impact on the image.

The clarity is still there, though. You can see from many objects (look at the bridge and the objects on the right side of the pic) that the image quality is exactly the same in 720p. The stair stepping looks IDENTICAL.

rr2.jpg

rr3.jpg

I am glad they decided to go with a more colorful look, though. That particular 360 track is one of maybe 3 or 4 that actually had GOOD lighting while the rest were dull dull dull. I LOVED the metallic lighting that a few tracks used (with Aviator loop offering THE best lighting in the game).

Everyone who has played the game is obviously familiar with the type of "lighting" seen here, though, and this type of lighting scheme was much more prevalent...

ridge-racer-6-20051111104600905.jpg

Could that BE more dull? With these "two" games, we obviously aren't even dealing with technology differences, rather, design and artistic differences. Namco F*CKED UP WITH RIDGE RACER 7, though.

Pallaris

I need some clarity here:

Is RR7 *ONLY* rendering at 1080p, and then downscaling to whatever the specified output resolution is set to on the XMB?

If not - and the game adjusts the rendered output - is the slowdown apparent in 720p/480p?

I'm hoping this slowdown shit is fixed by the US/EU launch (although doubtful at this stage). I was pretty much on the fence over RR7 as the series is getting on a bit but I still would've taken more refined arcade racing over the other stuff like Genji (and all the 360 ports/multiplatform) etc. Not paying full price if the game has issues though.

john tv

What slowdown are you guys talking about? I haven't experienced any yet in my game (though I'm playing in 720p).

Without comparing screens or anything, I can't really tell the difference between this and the X360 version, visually. It's a bit more colorful, and there's some nice extra effects (like the blowing leaves), but overall it's pretty hard to tell the difference unless you're really looking closely. Casual gamers will not spot it, for sure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So wait, what are people complaining about? We KNOW the PS3-version looks better than those pictures. The water in that PS3-compare-picture was so bullshit.

932650_20060906_screen001.jpg

Seiken said:
So wait, what are people complaining about? We KNOW the PS3-version looks better than those pictures. The water in that PS3-compare-picture was so bullshit.

932650_20060906_screen001.jpg

The water in that shot isn't too hot either.

Raistlin

memecomplex said:

Define hot?

Sure, it doesn't look like the typical molten-chrome we see in many games

... instead it actually looks somewhat realistic for that viewing distance.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
memecomplex said:
It looks better in motion and it's FAR AWAY from the picture where you compared it to the 360-one.

More RR7 thoughts.

The color pallette is rich, much like the tradition of PSX RRs of old. RR6 more muted pallette is in comparison a divergence from the series standard.

Game feels really fast, handling is subtly different from RR6 and in arcade mode is a little bit tougher than RR6; that is until you get used to the subtle differences in RR7.

Steering with the motion sensor is very cool. Very involving, but requires relearning of the controls. It's definitely more difficult, but the sixasis seems to be sensitive enough for the job. Very cool to be able to play RR7 with just one hand (passes the DOAX test).

New music is very cool.

Installing the game to harddrive speeds up loading time but doesn't eliminate it altogether. Takes about what feels like 10 mins to install. Very nice touch to be able to play an arcade perfect rendition of Xevious while installing.

Another nice touch is the ticker tape updates that stream in "fake" info from the RR universe, e.g. a photobook of such and such an area with beautiful shots of prominent landmarks shot during sunset is on sale now. A visiting composer from Stuttgart is now in Ridge City for a performance etc.

Opinion of game rising.

Seiken said:
It looks better in motion and it's FAR AWAY from the picture where you compared it to the 360-one.

Agreed it does look better in motion, and possibly looks great in 1080p. But in 720p it's underwhelming.

gkryhewy

memecomplex said:
The color pallette is rich, much like the tradition of PSX RRs of old. RR6 more muted pallette is in comparison a divergence from the series standard.

To be fair, there are many parts of RR6 that reflect that highly saturated traditional color palette. I'm thinking specifically of the CPU-controlled cars (outside of duel mode), the Rave City tracks, and the Airport Loop. I would say that in terms of the degree of color saturation, RR6 AT LEAST matches RRV, and IMO exceeds it.

EDIT: WTF? My post was timewarped too. Hundreds of thousands of PS3s released = supercomputing power affecting the space-time continuum? More at 11.

teiresias

Jonnyram said:
- Jaggies, even at 1080p downscaled to 720p by my TV there are still jaggies

Is this the only way you've set it up? Shouldn't you actually be setting the PS3 or game to output at your TVs resolution and let the console doing the scaling? It could very well be that your downscaling in your TV wouldn't be as good as however they'd downscale it on the console (either with the PS3 doing it automatically or them doing it in-engine).

Yoshichan

RR7
up0078.jpg

RR6
up0080.jpg

Owned, 360.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
^^looks up

Yeah.
Yeah, definitely better, especially if that's a 720p TV. But I'm pretty sure it's a 1080p Sharp I think so it's not too surprising since RR7 runs native 1080p. I'm still torn on spending 60 on this after spending so much time on RR6, maybe I'll wait till I get a 1080p TV.

kevm3

The cars, especially the reflections/sheen, look noticeably better in RR7. The 'ported over' courses only seem to sport minor improvements however. The textures are a bit sharper.

wow. the 360 version does look better. The colors are way less washed out. anyone who cant see that is blind. Its the same game but i'm absolutely positive the difference is because of the ATI vs Nvidia chipsets. ATI cards always seem to have better, i dunno know if this is the correct term but, color processing than Nvidia cards. Even when you look at gamecube cames they always had a distinct look because of the way the colors just pop. what are the chances of the extra tracks being dlc for the 360 version?

Top Bottom