• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

Jonnyram

DarienA said:
Can I get a conclusion post here? Is RR7 a pass for folks who already own RR6? Is it just RR6.5?
It really depends. If you're a big RR fan I'd say you'll enjoy it thanks to 6 new tracks + colourful old tracks + ****awesome music + customisation. I'm loving it anyway :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DCharlie said:
i'd personally say pass.
but for those who missed rr6, it is absolutely essential.

I now have NO idea what titles I'm getting at lunch... :(

Jonnyram said:
It really depends. If you're a big RR fan I'd say you'll enjoy it thanks to 6 new tracks + colourful old tracks + ****awesome music + customisation. I'm loving it anyway :)

How many track combinations on the 6 new ones? Does each track have 1 or 2 alternate courses?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I asked earlier - the plug-in thing for special abilities? Is that in or not and how well does it work?

Jonnyram

kaching said:
I asked earlier - the plug-in thing for special abilities? Is that in or not and how well does it work?
It's in but I haven't unlocked ANY of them yet, and I've done about 50% of the single player part.

Handling and drifting... it's the same as 6, which was the same as the PSP games. It's a bit easier than RRV yeah. You can customize it to some extent, when you unlock new wheels and suspension. Basically, you can make each drift type (standard, mild, dynamic), more in a certain direction.

Track combinations? I would say most of the new tracks are in totally new locations. Maybe a couple of them are in similar areas to the tracks in 6, though. Basically all the promotional shots shown were the new areas (tricky huh).

Slipstreaming hasn't meant much to me because I've mostly been in first place - as I said before, if you finish a GP race in first, the next race you will start in first. So slipstreaming is something you have to defend against rather than using to your own advantage. It seems quite cool in online matches though.

gkrykewy said:
720p upscaled vs. 1080p...

That's proabably all it is-- but I still :lol at people trying to make that 360 shot out as "better"-- especially, as I said, since I
am usually the last one to notice differences like that and I can still see them.

"Take the goggles off" indeed. If people weren't trying so hard to pin the whole "which is more powerful?" question on these shots (or better still, stop caring) they'd be able to see more clearly.

DarienA

Jonnyram said:
Track combinations? I would say most of the new tracks are in totally new locations. Maybe a couple of them are in similar areas to the tracks in 6, though. Basically all the promotional shots shown were the new areas (tricky huh).

What I mean to say is in RR6 you've got one core track, and then there are barriers along the way that open up for alternate routes, so each "area" really has 2-3 tracks once the alternate routes are opened up for later races.

I'm assuming the new tracks are the same way?

Jonnyram

DarienA said:
What I mean to say is in RR6 you've got one core track, and then there are barriers along the way that open up for alternate routes, so each "area" really has 2-3 tracks once the alternate routes are opened up for later races.

I'm assuming the new tracks are the same way?
Yeah, I know. That's what I was trying to say with my reply too. I think 4 of them are totally new, separate, self-contained areas with no barriers. And the other 2 are branches off areas that were already in 6. Except not branches, just sharing some assets to make them feel like they are.

kaching said:
Have you run into anyone using them online?
Not yet. Also I just now unlocked SS Booster plug-in (boosts slipstream effect). I'll give it a try.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
dark10x said:
Slowdown, jaggies, lack of new content, and other bullsh*t.

I'm quite bummed about the whole ordeal. Sounds like RR7 is a complete bust.

Why the f*ck am I even buying this system?! I suppose the simple fact that, with Gears already out, there isn't a single other game I want to buy for the remainder of the holiday on any system I own. :(

2006 has been a terrible year for everything, and it's a shame to see one of my hobbies (gaming) following suit.

I didn't get a preorder in man, I'll take yours. ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
shantyman said:
I didn't get a preorder in man, I'll take yours. ;)
Heh, I think I'll stick with it. The excitement is slowly returning. You're welcome to stop by sometime and check it out, though. :D

DarienA said:
I now have NO idea what titles I'm getting at lunch... :(
Yeah, I'm in a similar situation as to what to get beyond Resistance, I may still get RR7, I may get Carbon if the PS3 version turns out as good/better than 360 because I haven't picked it up yet (although that's an iffy proposition probably).

Jonnyram

OK, after completing RSGP14, I can categorically state, this has one of the best single player campaigns of any Ridge :) And it has a secret course (along with secret music)!
Seaside Route 765!! (Movin' 2 the Beat)
Just saw the ending and got interviewed, then shitloads of new stuff unlocked. I also unlocked two tone paint for my car which looks amazing. Still can't say much about plug-ins. I was in 1st for pretty much the entire last GP.

DarienA said:
Can I get a conclusion post here? Is RR7 a pass for folks who already own RR6? Is it just RR6.5?

I think the first post is probably the most objectively comprehensive, and then you have the subjective determination of folks impressions with both. I've played the crap out of RR6, and from what I've seen of the vids, the visual difference is pretty striking, but perhaps that's just the new tracks. All in all, the Ridge racer formula hasn't changed much in the past 10 years (IMO), so it's going to feel very familiar.

First post said:
This is the game I bought a PS3 for.
It IS Ridge Racer 6 Director's Cut, but...!

+ All the RR6 tracks seem to have new textures. This is particularly noticeable on the roads, which now have proper markings like a race track, rather than the noisy textures on the 360 version
+ All the old green, pasty tracks are now super colourful and stuff
+ New animations, like planes landing in different places, leaves blowing, that kind of thing
+ Awesome, awesome music
+ Spanking new menu system
+ Oh, some new tracks, which rock
+ Car customization, paint, decals, everything
+ New nitrous techniques
+ Online touched up
+ Constant live feed of rankings and shit
+ Xevious > all previous Namco intro games
+ Load times are sweet if you install it on HDD

- Jaggies, even at 1080p downscaled to 720p by my TV there are still jaggies
- Some weird depth effects
- Cars all sound like lawnmowers now
- In 5.1 it's hard to hear the voices of the commentator dude/girl
- text chat instead of voice :/
- no funky ridge intro... wtf!!!

294318881_b72c7c09f4_b.jpg

DarienA

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, I'm in a similar situation as to what to get beyond Resistance, I may still get RR7, I may get Carbon if the PS3 version turns out as good/better than 360 because I haven't picked it up yet (although that's an iffy proposition probably).

Once I got some performance mods on my car I actually started to enjoy the racing in carbon much much more... the crew can screw you up at times, but I've definitely had races where they were VERY instrumental in helping me win.

Pursuits aren't unfortunately as much a part of the main game as I'd like them to be(not an actual requirement to progress), but they are still pretty fun once you get them going.

EDIT: Jonny's spoiler post just tipped me back in to keeping 7. Or at very least checking it out at launch. Still disappointed about the intro though. I'm still waiting for an intro to eclipse R4.

Jonnyram

Looking at the tracks I have available (22), it seems like I still have another two to find, so I'm betting they are the two related to the one I unlocked above. Besides, there's a hint of that at the end of the ending movie anyway. GG Namco - you know how to rip us off yet still keep us coming back for more.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Jonnyram said:
Looking at the tracks I have available (22), it seems like I still have another two to find, so I'm betting they are the two related to the one I unlocked above. Besides, there's a hint of that at the end of the ending movie anyway. GG Namco - you know how to rip us off yet still keep us coming back for more.
thanks for the impressions Johnny, please continue posting more of them.

Can I ask you a question? Why didn't you pick up the Logicool GT Force RX FFB wheel for this game?

DCharlie

Banned
other than the overwhealming feeling of familiarity (;))that picture gives me, it really does make me want to play some more PS3 ridge.

The Crossbay Tunnel experience was a REAL -WTF?! SO AWESOME- moment and i need to see if there are more tracks that got that sort of treatment.

sun-drop

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7108/52/

While we’re yet to play with or even see a PS3 in Australia, reports from PS3 owners are just starting to filter their way to the web, with plenty of reviews and head-to-head comparisons yet to come.

Our final judgement is being reserved until we get some hands-on PS3 action for ourselves, but at least one game available for both platforms looks far better on the Xbox 360 than it does on the PS3. The game? Ridge Racer.

lol ... no wonder xbox does well in that country with hack reporting like this

lambchop said:
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7108/52/
lol ... no wonder xbox does well in that country with hack reporting like this

They should be more like truthful Japan.

Sony's PS3 to Cost $100 More Than Microsoft Xbox 360 (Correct)

(Corrects spelling of name in 10th paragraph.)

By Daisuke Takato

May 9 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's biggest maker of video-game consoles, will sell the PlayStation 3 from Nov. 11 in Japan, betting features such as a high-definition DVD player make the machine worth $100 more than Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360.

The PS3 will come with a 20-gigabyte hard-disk drive and sell for 59,800 yen ($535) in Japan, and $499 and 499 euros in the U.S. and Europe starting Nov. 17, Sony Computer Entertainment America Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai said yesterday at an industry conference in Los Angeles.

Sony is looking to attract gamers with functions not available on the Xbox 360, such as a Blu-ray DVD player and a controller that lets users maneuver games by waving it in the air. The Tokyo-based company showed the console with games including Electronic Arts Inc.'s ``NBA Live,'' and touted features such as online chatting and game-playing, as it looks to catch up with Microsoft, which started selling the Xbox 360 in November.

``Early adopters will buy the console, even if it's expensive,'' said Fumio Osanai, an analyst at UBS Securities Japan Ltd. ``The Xbox 360 graphics are no different from the previous PlayStation and on top of that, the PS3 will have Blu- ray, so they can justify the price.''

<snip>

Even with a $599 price tag, Sony will lose about $100 to $200 on every unit is sells initially, analysts said.

The console costs about $800 to make, Hiroshi Takada, an analyst at JPMorgan Securities Asia Pte., wrote in a report today. Sony last month said the video-game unit may have a 100 billion yen operating loss in the year started April 1.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jonnyram said:

So did changing the resolution on your TV make the game look better or worst?

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
TEXT CHAT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yea, like I can freaking text chat as I drift-o by some fool online.

Text Chat. This is both seriously funny, and just sad at the same time.

DCharlie

Banned
Not to defend the lack of chat, but the text chat does have a useful function that i approve of (even if it's nothing new....)

You chose your phrase from a list... the Japanese chose the japanese phrase, and it will be translated into english (and vice versa) making cross-cultural communication for races a bit easier...

"Are you ready?"
"I will start the race very soon!"

IMHO Namco didn't deliver enough for a product that comes nearly one year later.

Many peopole are discussing if a texture looks a little better, if there is a voice chat, etc...

All I can say is that RR6 was decent when it was released on XBox360.
Now it delivers a little more in different aspects (tracks, customization, some new textures, 1080p), and a little less in others (some missing textures, text chat, more jaggies, occasional slowdowns).

For someone who bought Xbox360 and bought RR6 there's no reason to play nearly the same game so much later.
For people who don't own a 360 yes, they'll get a slightly better verison, but they'll get it nearly one year later.

All in all is hard to say "better version" when it comes so late and there's so little as a plus.

BTW I still would like to understand the sense of beeing in need of 1080p and then not complaining when a game looks so jaggy...
1080p isn't anymore something about resolution and detail?

Bah!

Troidal

DCharlie said:
Not to defend the lack of chat, but the text chat does have a useful function that i approve of (even if it's nothing new....)

You chose your phrase from a list... the Japanese chose the japanese phrase, and it will be translated into english (and vice versa) making cross-cultural communication for races a bit easier...

"Are you ready?"

Reading about text chat and some issues which we are covering in the "PS3 Issues list (Second attempt)" thread, it makes me appreciate the 360 doing some of these things better.

For me, the plus factor on PS3 so far is internet browsing and Bluray :)

llTll

Banned
Dante said:
294318881_b72c7c09f4_b.jpg

Is this a shot of RR7?

yes its.but why you are so impressed?

if i remember correctly. xbox 1 was able to do this kind of thing. i remember me seeing it in DOA3 lol

just kidding. awsome shot :D

ourumov

DCharlie said:

"Are you ready?"

Yeah, I would love that kind of feature in a game like let's say...Winning Eleven. I play every day with japanese people at work and our lack of a common language to talk makes for really fun situations...Fortunatelly WE is a game that crosses frontiers !!!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
That universal preset chat command feature translating across different languages IS nice, yes, but even if they didn't include voice chat, they could have easily have added a keyboard. Phantasy Star Online did the same thing, but still let you type/talk too.

McValdemar said:
All in all is hard to say "better version" when it comes so late and there's so little as a plus.

To me, the most important thing is that this game has six new tracks, which are well-designed. That's a big deal for an arcade racer.

But if you want to talk about "so little" being new, I hope none of you guys ever try Ridge Racers 2. :lol

llTll said:
omg. and here i thought RR7 look better than RR6.

ofcourse both systems are powrful. but i never knew that RR6 look better.

It doesn't. :p But I don't know how much of the difference in the visuals is even in hardware...it's more like Namco had another year to improve on RR6, so I'm sure if RR7 was also released on the 360, it would look the same.

Jonnyram

OK, that's it. I've had it with this game.

Coming in first all the time for massive amounts of the game. Reach a certain duel and BANG! No thanks. It's like there is no concept of moderate difficulty in Ridge games. It's either piss easy, or cheap shit hard. It's blatantly obvious that 90% of the customisation is fluff and to succeed you have to stick to the other 10%. Ugh. Should I really continue now? It seems so pointless.

One of the upsides of RR7 is that the super elite online players should now be gone from RR6 so it might be possible to get my online achievements for that nowadays.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Lyte Edge said:
It doesn't. :p But I don't know how much of the difference in the visuals is even in hardware...it's more like Namco had another year to improve on RR6, so I'm sure if RR7 was also released on the 360, it would look the same.

*Golf Clap*

neptunes

Jonnyram said:
One of the upsides of RR7 is that the super elite online players should now be gone from RR6 so it might be possible to get my online achievements for that nowadays.
no they're still there, all triple nitrous whores.

I wish we could get some more GAF games going.

BuddyC

Jonnyram said:
OK, that's it. I've had it with this game.

Coming in first all the time for massive amounts of the game. Reach a certain duel and BANG! No thanks. It's like there is no concept of moderate difficulty in Ridge games. It's either piss easy, or cheap shit hard. It's blatantly obvious that 90% of the customisation is fluff and to succeed you have to stick to the other 10%. Ugh. Should I really continue now? It seems so pointless.

:(

DarienA

neptunes said:
no they're still there, all triple nitrous whores.

I wish we could get some more GAF games going.

If someone were to message me when I was online, I might be coaxed in to firing up my copy of RR6...

Also, if anyone wants to play RR6 online, once I'm done with my work this semester in college, I'd be willing to do that. I still have some achievements I need to get in that game. :)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
DarienA said:
If someone were to message me when I was online, I might be coaxed in to firing up my copy of RR6...

It's a million x better than that NFS crap and Import Tuner. :)

Jonnyram

BuddyC said:
Don't worry, it was typical overreaction. I calmed down and beat a few of them easily actually. So I have 490B, GOO and Pronzione unlocked now. I see they spent so much time developing new cars for this ;)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Schafer said:
What you missed, is a bigger, probably more detailed ship sitting on the left side of where you made a cut on those images.

That and of course bunch of impressions where everyone says RR7 looks better.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Marconelly said:
What you missed, is a bigger, probably more detailed ship sitting on the left side of where you made a cut on those images.

That and of course bunch of impressions where everyone says RR7 looks better.

What I missed? It's from a 1up news story, nothing to do with me.

Top Bottom