• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

Manp

i like the 360 version better from those shots... it's seems to be a matter of colors and contrast between dark and light zones which is more accentuated in RR6

both are really jaggy though

:)

icecream

Public Health Threat
RaijinFY said:
Gosh... wasnt that turd canned?
Don't you mean FCK?

And I don't know why people are comparing the slowdown... there were a few parts in RR6 with frame drops as well, especially when playing 2P with a lot of cars onscreen.

But the colors on RR7 are much better than RR6, no doubt. I wonder if you can tune the color settings on RR6 (via the game or via the TV) and see if it could be improved.

ram

Seiken said:
RR7
up0078.jpg

RR6
up0080.jpg

Owned, 360.

yeah - ridge racer 7 is the better version, even it does not deserved the "seven" and is more like ridge racer 6 dc.

I don't know if I see the same comparison as the others, but RR7 has less jaggies, higher res textures (notable on mountains), better colors, more details (grass) and better water (it actually reflects things).

Manp

textures and grass look the same, better colors is a matter of tastes (on PS3 they look more washed to me)... on water and jaggies you're right

anyway in the end the differences are very subtle
without a direct comparison between the two version looking at random pictures i doubt you should be able to tell which one is the 360 game and which the PS3 version

btrboyev

the difference is there..but thats whats going to happen when you have a year to improve on RR6 and add a few things and call it RR7...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This thread reminds me of some of the older Dreamcast versus Playstation 2 debates. :lol

btrboyev said:
the difference is there..but thats whats going to happen when you have a year to improve on RR6 and add a few things and call it RR7...

Yup. And this game at least DOES have new tracks, modes, car customization/upgrading, and slipstreaming added to it, as well as a brand new interface and presentation.

This is better than Namco's previous Rehash Racer effort, Ridge Racers 2 PSP, which added a few new cars, brought back some more old tracks, added a few new tunes, and that's pretty much IT...menus, presentation, etc...all the same.

But RR7 IS the better game, period. It does suck that there's no voice chat, but at least the bugs that were in the RR6 online play appear to be gone, and if I'm not mistaken, it also allows for more players in a match.

I am the least sensitive person on earth to such differences, but the PS3 looks significantly better to me, color choices aside.

Look at the details on the car, or the small details in the distance.

Again, not that that matters, but people saying the 360 version look better... :lol

antiloop

Going by the last 2 pics I say the PS3 version looks much better.

Sharper, better colors, more details, better water and even less jaggies.

Raistlin

Yeah ... it seems pretty obvious that the extra resolution + updated art gives the PS3 an advantage.

BTW - the TV/monitor for that 360 pic needs to be calibrated. The contrast, etc. is all ****ed up. This is practically zero shadow detail.

Jonnyram

Lyte Edge said:
But RR7 IS the better game, period. It does suck that there's no voice chat, but at least the bugs that were in the RR6 online play appear to be gone, and if I'm not mistaken, it also allows for more players in a match.
Actually, RR6 had a maximum of 14 players too.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Again, not that that matters, but people saying the 360 version look better... :lol

oh please. take the goggles off. at the very LEAST they are the same game just look different similar to how a PC game running on different brand cards with similar power may look different. i mean look.

69622xh1.jpg

69692vk0.jpg

IMO something is up in those shots that look way off. either different inputs or rez scaling settings because the 360 version has always been praised for looking clean yet that red car shot looks like shit yet in the pics i just posted the 360 version looks sharper as it usually does.

Lyte Edge said:
but at least the bugs that were in the RR6 online play appear to be gone

The only bug I know in RR6 online was caused by a firmware/API bug related to custom soundtracks, and we discovered a workaround for it in a matter of days (and which was permanently patched by Microsoft in a later dash update). RR6 is one of the smoothest online racers out there.

Lyte Edge said:
if I'm not mistaken, it also allows for more players in a match.

You are mistaken.

jett

D-Member
Onix said:
Yeah ... it seems pretty obvious that the extra resolution + updated art gives the PS3 an advantage.

BTW - the TV/monitor for that 360 pic needs to be calibrated. The contrast, etc. is all ****ed up. This is practically zero shadow detail.

Maybe you didn't notice, but the same TV was used for the 360 and PS3 snapshots. :p

gkryhewy

MobiusPigeon said:
IMO something is up in those shots that look way off. either different inputs or rez scaling settings because the 360 version has always been praised for looking clean yet that red car shot looks like shit

Ding ding ding.

Jonnyram

jett said:
Maybe you didn't notice, but the same TV was used for the 360 and PS3 snapshots. :p
Surely that means the 720p image will have to be upscaled to the TVs native resolution, and will look worse as a result? :p

i'm not a fan of bump maps, and the PS3's looks less bump mappy. To me that's a big plus.

the biggest cancer of 2005 next gen games were the overdose and abuse of normal maps bump maps

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Surely that means the 720p image will have to be upscaled to the TVs native resolution, and will look worse as a result? :p
Except the staircasing/pixel size in the two photos is identical. Either they are both upscaled, or both aren't.

Pachinko

That comparisn posted above pretty well proves that RR7 does look better. It's got the same increase in detail I'd expect from something with an extra year of development time. I'm positive that had the PS3 been on it's BS original schedule and been released in japan 6 months ago that there would be zero differences between RR6 and RR7, I'll also go so far as to say 1080P aside that RR7 released on 360 right now would look basically identical to the PS3 game.

Raistlin

jett said:

Maybe you didn't realize that different inputs need to be calibrated separately by nature ... and also for the fact that different devices hooked up to them are obviously not calibrated to each other.

Crap, some people calibrate per device, per resolution.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Manp said:
textures and grass look the same, better colors is a matter of tastes (on PS3 they look more washed to me)... on water and jaggies you're right

anyway in the end the differences are very subtle
without a direct comparison between the two version looking at random pictures i doubt you should be able to tell which one is the 360 game and which the PS3 version

Having puts hours and hours into RR6, I can tell you right now that the majority of areas in RR6 are horribly washed out and dull looking. A few of the tracks have excellent colors and contrast, but most of them were not designed particularly well from a lighting standpoint.

Most TVs have separate picture settings for each input.
There is also the matter of 360 having very contrasty component output. Had they used VGA, things would have been very different. VGA has very harsh contrasts on 360, which can look very cool, but not always.

eso76

there's an obvious difference in clarity between the 2 photographs, but RR7 textures seem to be a little higher res - though, you should consider the pov is much closer to the rocks on the left in RR6's pic - lighting on the car looks better but then again, RR6's pic is much darker.
The car uses a few more polys; look at the curve in the backlights bevel, it's smoother in RR7.
Having said that, Namco should start pulling itself together.

so my biting question is.....how does RR7 look in 720p mode??? cuz my dell widescreen LCD only goes up to 1680x1050 resolution, so no 1080p for me :(

AnIco

MobiusPigeon said:
oh please. take the goggles off. at the very LEAST they are the same game just look different similar to how a PC game running on different brand cards with similar power may look different. i mean look.

69692vk0.jpg

You should take your own goggles off. If you look carefully at the text, arrows, musical note etc on the PS3 image, you can see awful ghosting/echoing artifacts. To me, it looks like a deliberate attempt to make the PS3 look bad.

But, ignoring the relative qualities of the images, the PS3 has a higher poly count on the cars, which is most evident on the headlights; they look pretty bad on the 360 with clearly discernible polygons, whilst on the PS3 they are much rounder with properly modelled lights inside.

frAntic_Frog said:
so my biting question is.....how does RR7 look in 720p mode??? cuz my dell widescreen LCD only goes up to 1680x1050 resolution, so no 1080p for me :(

RR7 looks pretty jaggy on 720p.

RR6 looks pretty jaggy on 1080p.

So if you have a 1080p HDTV, it's possible that all your other games except RR7 would look sub-optimal. (RR7 is the only 1080p game out)

ram

AnIco said:
If you look carefully at the text, arrows, musical note etc on the PS3 image, you can see awful ghosting/echoing artifacts. To me, it looks like a deliberate attempt to make the PS3 look bad.

i dont get it - people make comparision with this screens, which have not the same qualatiy? at least the ps3 screens is a lot diffuse in a way.

Apex

MobiusPigeon said:
yeah but the textures in the other shots look superior on the 360. less blurry and less bland. its the same damn game. :lol
RR7 720p video capture vs RR6 frame buffer screenshot.

memecomplex said:
The water in that shot isn't too hot either.
2_large.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why do people care which looks better? RR6 is only xbox 360, RR7 is only PS3. If you only have one console, just buy that one.

Apex said:
RR7 720p video capture vs RR6 frame buffer screenshot.

2_large.jpg

It's nice enough, but not exactly "hot". The water texture is a little too low-res for my liking, some parts even look pixellated, don't you think?

EDIT: Is that a 1080p shot? Very few jaggies, looks good.

mrklaw said:
why do people care which looks better? RR6 is only xbox 360, RR7 is only PS3. If you only have one console, just buy that one.
Yeah, unsurprisingly this has turned into a graphics battle but the real question for me is if there is enough new content in RR7 over 6 to make it worth 60 dollars outside of the slightly upgraded graphics from what I hear I don't think so.

eso76

memecomplex said:
EDIT: Is that a 1080p shot? Very few jaggies, looks good.

the pic is 960 x 540...probably a 50% resize of a 1080p screen, of course it's jaggies free !

By the way, before X360 came out i would have sworn displaying 720p games on a SD set would give them perfect antialiasing...it ain't so. I don't know how X360 scaler works, but games rendered in 720p and downsampled to 640x480 look exactly like 480i/p xbox1 games as far as IQ goes. So i would guess the same happens on Ps3 when displaying 1080p games in 720p.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Can I get a conclusion post here? Is RR7 a pass for folks who already own RR6? Is it just RR6.5?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
What about the slipstreaming, does that add much? (anybody see some other straws I can grasp?)

Top Bottom