• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Being a "millennial" is pretty cool. We're like the bridge between the old and new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman94

I'm 22 and it some things still blow my mind when I think about it. Wireless internet, realistic video game graphics, self-driving cars, super easy forms of communication and messaging, on demand television and entertainment. Growing up I had such fond memories of "old ways" of doing things. Dial-Up internet, big tube TVs, VHS, home phones game systems that pretty much could only play games. Technology has progressed so rapidly these past 30 years and it's a complete night and day from 2016 and 1986. We have fond memories of going to Block Buster to get some VHS tapes and DVDs for the weekend but at the same time we have fond memories of binge watching a show on Netflix. We went from hearing that screeching sound from our computers as we logged onto the internet for dial-up to having the internet with us at every possible moment with our cell phones. We had the joys of buying and listening to CDs and at the same time we have memories of using iTunes, Napster and other services to download music and create personal portable music libraries. Went from having to schedule a time to watch a TV show to just watching whatever we missed immediately online. There's no huge point of this thread, just found it interesting to think about.

Pastry

Banned
Is 22 even old enough to have really experienced that change?

I'm 28 and don't think I experienced the full transition.

rjinaz

It is interesting to think about. I tell my nephews about how slow the internet used to be and how there were no cellphones. I'm only 33.

I can tell you though that I have been between the old and the new my whole life as a middle child. It kind of sucks in that regard. You're not old enough to seem knowledgeable but the young ones still want to call you an old grandpa for not being hip enough.

Salamando

Advances in technology have been awesome, increases in housing costs have not been awesome. Jobs...I like mine, but there's a large swath of millennials who realized too late what fields were worth going into and which were a waste of money.

watershed

Banned
Occasionally I think it's quite interesting to be of the generation that remembers the 90s as their childhood or to be the last generation born in the 90s, the last generation of a millennium.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's so weird. Just a few days ago me and my roommate were talking about how we could remember Myspace, Blink-182, & Avril Lavigne like it was yesterday. Those were dark days.

"Dial-Up internet, big tube TVs, VHS, home phones game systems that pretty much could only play games."

Twenty years ago, someone probably made the exact same thread :p

I'm more excited that I won't even be 60 when the 2050s come around. Now that's some sci-fi future year right there

AYF 001

You forgot the crushing debt, increasing minimum standards for workplace participation, wage stagnation, exorbitant housing prices, and environment on the brink of collapse. Oh and witnessing a resurgence of fascist ideology as decades of foreign intervention come back to haunt us.

It's pretty cool, in a "slow motion right before the impact" kinda way.

AGITΩ

Though im 27, being raised on hand me downs as a kid, so black and white tvs with knobs, atari 2600, DOS only computers to dial up, floppy disks, black boxes on tvs to steal cable, having to see scrambled cinemax at night for a slight glimpse of nudity to the shit we have now? I feel like ive lived through multiple generations.

Is 22 even old enough to have really experienced that change?

I'm 28 and don't think I experienced the full transition.
Idk, I'm 24, and I remember using floppy disks, watching VHS, having antennas on my TV, going to Hollywood Video, playing PS1, etc.

I feel like the late Gen X / early Gen Y folks are really the people who experienced this transition you've mentioned. I'm 35 and I truly was old enough at the right points over the last 4 decades to experience these transitions full force.

MogCakes

I firmly believe most of my college peers will ultimately be unsatisfied with their career choice.

EDIT: I didn't know TV antennas were considered poor people equipment. My family had one for years.

Getting to grow up and have your childhood shaped by extreme technological/societal change is actually a pretty fortunate opportunity. I remember the novelty of going from VHSes to DVDs and that was at a pretty early stage in my life, and was pretty much surrounded by the internet since that same time. Sometimes I get self-conscious and wish I was a few years older (so I could experience years I feel like I missed out on), but from that perspective I'm glad I was born when I was.

I actually had that thought the other day, of knowing how weird it is that I basically can't imagine a life without the internet or things like that, and yet just barely knowing a time when it wasn't ubiquitous. It's pretty sobering.

yeah being a scapegoat and dealing with problems caused by earlier generations is cool

This is the part that sucks though. Ah well.

I firmly believe most of my college peers will ultimately be unsatisfied with their career choice.

EDIT: I didn't know TV antennas were considered poor people equipment. My family had one for years.

It's not lol, I was making a very poor joke.

Where I'm from, in central Pennsylvania, it was usually something rural homes had. I remember my grandparents had this massive array on top of their house.

Liberty4all

Banned
I experienced the full transition as a late Gen Xer. I'm 40 born in 1976. Lived through the 80s and remember very clearly being able to range as a kid miles from home (in a big city), taking public transit alone to school at age 8, I remember no internet, no cell phones, connecting with friends by paging them. Back then it was a thing having a separate home phone line as a teenager.

I remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, the fall of the USSR, I remember all of us being terrified throughout the 80s of being nuked.

My first console was a ColecoVision. NES in the mid 80s blew our 10 year old minds.

The dawn of the Internet and cell phones changed life forever.

0wait, i thought Millenials were born after 2000? how can you be one if you are 22? maybe im wrong o_O

There's no uniform consensus. The widest range places millennials as people born from 1982 - 2000, but people born in the mid-late 90s onward are considered "Generation Z" by some definitions.

I guess the idea is that they're people who were no older than 18 by the year 2000.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I still agree with Adam that older generations classify new ones negatively as a coping mechanism for feeling old and out of touch.

DjRalford

From my Atari / C64 on a 14" CRT TV to my PS4 / PC on my 4k TV, it's been an awesome 30 years of gaming, millenials have seen greater advances in a shorter timeframe i think as tech has progressed really quickly, i can still remember being blown away by Super Mario 2 & 3 on the NES

kurahador

Being 30 is where it's at. We get to experience video taping shows, dubbing a casette, suffering through floppy disk, and rent VHS.

You don't have to identify as part of any so-labelled generation to experience being part of the old and new. Being a Millennial ain't shit when you could be a Gen X'er that lives in the same period.

Yagharek

I feel like the late Gen X / early Gen Y folks are really the people who experienced this transition you've mentioned. I'm 35 and I truly was old enough at the right points over the last 4 decades to experience these transitions full force.

I think the point where the internet became ubiquitous was somewhere in the window from 1995-2000. If you were born after about 1991 then you would not have had much opportunity to experience the time beforehand, although the big disclaimer here is that there will be major geographic variation. Some places didnt get reliable internet infrastructure til much later.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm 46 and I lived through moon landings, zeppelin, bowie, star wars, personal computing, Atari, arcades, eurythmics, two iraqs, all the shitty trumps, internet, backstreet boys, bad star wars, print news, 911, instagram, Hubble, Higgs boson, decent restaurants, free nudity, Bieber, decent star wars, gamergate, post ironic backstreet boys and worst Trump. And I can snap the op's arm off like OTT. Millenials are just people for now. Brag in twenty years when you stop crying because of your feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom