• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Americans, why you no love YEAST EXTRACT (The Marmite Thread)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
marmite-on-toast-005.jpg

Look at that shit right there. MMMMM.

And, to a much lessor extent you also have the almost-as-good-but-not-quite Australian Vegemite

Vegemiteontoast_large.jpg

But in the US? Nothing. How can this be explained?

Morat

Banned
Marmite is death. And bloody Sainsburys keeps giving money off vouchers for the vile stuff for some reason.

DJ_Lae

I bought some Marmite the other year out of curiousity.

It tastes like an unwashed asshole.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
marmite is bad and most reasonable british people admit it.

I'm not American but I agree with them in that it looks like someone scraped rust off the side of a hundred year old bridge, stuffed it in a jar of slightly tinted faucet water, and shipped it off to stores just to prank them.

hoserx

I've got a bottle of Vegemite on my desk that I received as a gag-gift for Christmas five years ago. It will never be opened.

Ohio/ USA resident here.

Branduil

In America we actually have quality spreads like peanut butter and jam so we don't need to resort to weird yeast byproducts.

How is it health-wise? Is it calorie dense?

I have no idea

let's see

It is gluten-free, vegetarian and low in calories. One serving can easily contain up to 36 percent of your recommended daily allowance of vitamin B3, it also provides 50 percent of your folic acid and 17 per cent of your thiamin – a substance that helps to protect your nervous system. It also contains iodine which helps to speed up the absorption of iron.

There you have it.

There is nothing superior to spread on a sandwich than peanut butter. Why would we sully bread's goodness with anything less than peanut butter like Marmite?

Samus, Doge, and Tristan Thompson disagree.

You're playing with me now.

I implore you, take a slice of bread, toast, spread with butter and then a thin THIN THIN layer of Vegemite. And then, when you like it, try Marmite as well.

We can do this, together.

Dougald

If the actions of most foreigners I've observed trying Marmite/Vegemite are any indication, it's because they tried spreading it like peanut butter

I can understand legitimately not liking it though, and fair enough. More for me, marmite on toast is godly

Icefire1424

...yeast...extract?

Listen, I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure what that even is. I know yeast is used to make bread, and beer, and a whole bunch of other stuff, but what exactly is being extracted from the yeast that would one want to spread it on toast?

When I think spreadables, I'm reminded of raspberry preserves, strawberry jam, marmalade...stuff that actually tastes good. And when I think of spreadables originating from Europe, I think Nutella, which let's be honest here, is pretty much a chocolate spread. And that's a good thing.

The Argus

Because it's an acquired taste and at first it's just awful. We have both Marmite and Vegamite in the office and only the Brits eat it.

I'll also never understand Europe's obsession of Nutella. It's good, but it's just pure sugar. When people try to tell me it's better than peanut butter I just have to laugh.

hoserx

You're playing with me now.

I implore you, take a slice of bread, toast, spread with butter and then a thin THIN THIN layer of Vegemite. And then, when you like it, try Marmite as well.

We can do this, together.

haha, I feel like it's probably past the expiration date now........and it is. Feb 2014. Lol

Dougald

...yeast...extract?

Listen, I'll admit that I'm not entirely sure what that even is. I know yeast is used to make bread, and beer, and a whole bunch of other stuff, but what exactly is being extracted from the yeast that would one want to spread it on toast?

When I think spreadables, I'm reminded of raspberry preserves, strawberry jam, marmalade...stuff that actually tastes good. And when I think of spreadables originating from Europe, I think Nutella, which let's be honest here, is pretty much a chocolate spread. And that's a good thing.

It's a salty, savoury spread. The flavour is very strong so its to be used sparingly.

If the actions of most foreigners I've observed trying Marmite/Vegemite are any indication, it's because they tried spreading it like peanut butter

I can understand legitimately not liking it though, and fair enough. More for me, marmite on toast is godly

An ally!

My wife eats this shit, I can not take it. As soon as it hit my tongue my body just reacted very negatively towards it. Never again. She gonna tell me its like peanut butter, a damn lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom