• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Americans, why you no love YEAST EXTRACT (The Marmite Thread)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
marmite on toast is just the beginning, you can also pile on cheese, beans and a fried egg in practically any permutation. Or, if you're particularly hedonistic, all at the same time ffffuuuuu!!!11one

Cheese, beans, fried egg AND Marmite, all on the same piece of toast!? Food for thought.

Because it's an acquired taste and at first it's just awful. We have both Marmite and Vegamite in the office and only the Brits eat it.

I'll also never understand Europe's obsession of Nutella. It's good, but it's just pure sugar. When people try to tell me it's better than peanut butter I just have to laugh.
Yup. These threads make me proud to be an American. Peanutbutter and jam FTW

Ban Puncher

UK people are just mad that their inferior Marmite plop does not garner worldwide fear and respect that king Vegemite does.

Bandini

Vegemite is delicious. Just a bit of an acquired taste and most Americans are too soft to do something a second time they didn't like the first time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I figure brits and aussies only like it because we're fed it as babies and grow up with it. Lots of food isn't that naturally palatable but is part of nations' food culture.

I love marmite. My wife loves natto. Both of us find the other absolutely disgusting

Marmite on toast is fantastic (butter not spread). Super thin as its strong. Scrambled eggs on top is lovely too

Haven't yet tried either. Willing to though, but my fellow Americans would leave me to believe it's terrible.

Then again, I enjoy fermented shrimp paste and rotted cabbage so what do I know.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just checked to see if my jar of Marmite is still in the cupboard - it is. It's also probably still good with the amount of salt in it.

I think my issue with the product is its use is completely at odds with the actual flavour. The other closest thing I've eaten would be that Better Than Bouillon goop:

7rKBOhw.jpg

Which is meant to be diluted in water and used as broth. On its own, it's way too strong and way too salty. That's not to say you could save Marmite by doing that, as it would probably be awful. Stuff really does taste like a dirty cornhole, or that yeast sludge you get at the bottom of your fermentor when making beer - just with an equal volume of salt added to it.

That's more like bovril which comes in a marmite shaped jar but is beef based

Risible

Universally, every video I've seen of someone trying marmite/vegemite for the first time is immediately followed by retching. Every. Single. Time.

I'll pass.

Gutek

Vegemite is pure trash. A mistake. Marmite on the other hand... soooo good on plain bread. I even use it as a condiment in gravy and sauces.

I love marmite and just made myself some on toast after reading this thread.

Maybe it is an acquired taste, but since childhood it's been one of my top-tier comfort foods.

Sulik2

Marmite is maybe the worst tasting substance on the planet. The only food I can think that I have a worse reaction to (instant gagging and spitting it back up as soon as I taste it) is pickled ginger. Marmite should be a banned substance. Its not fit for human consumption.

Toxi

Banned
marmite on toast is just the beginning, you can also pile on cheese, beans and a fried egg in practically any permutation. Or, if you're particularly hedonistic, all at the same time ffffuuuuu!!!11one
So what you're saying is marmite is most enjoyable when you can't taste the marmite.

The Lamp

My stepdad eats this shit.

I agree with the first page. In fact, people talk about voter ID laws--I think that if you're caught with this shit in your kitchen, you shouldn't be allowed to vote in America.

Fucking vile British madness in a jar.

edbrat

Cheese, beans, fried egg AND Marmite, all on the same piece of toast!? Food for thought.

Yes it's like cheese, beans and eggs on toast but even better.

So what you're saying is marmite is most enjoyable when you can't taste the marmite.

oh you can still taste the marmite bro, you can still taste the marmite...

milanbaros

Member?
I love marmite. It is to me, far preferable over sweet toast spreads like Jam or marmalade. I can understand why people don't like it though. I was eating it at 2 years old.

It is just the leftovers from making beer.

Semajer

People that don't like Marmite are probably applying it to their toast incorrectly. The secret is to microwave it for 20 seconds, and then pour it on. About 1/6th of the jar per slice of toast is about right. The Extra Strong version is better suited to the task. You know it's working when you swallow it and it gets stuck on the wall of your throat and you can feel an intense burning sensation.

jblank83

Because it tastes like salt someone scraped off the street.

Superior Alternatives:
- butter and jam
- butter and cinammon-sugar
- butter and honey
- butter and butter
- butter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom