• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Americans, why you no love YEAST EXTRACT (The Marmite Thread)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Just checked to see if my jar of Marmite is still in the cupboard - it is. It's also probably still good with the amount of salt in it.

I think my issue with the product is its use is completely at odds with the actual flavour. The other closest thing I've eaten would be that Better Than Bouillon goop:

7rKBOhw.jpg

Which is meant to be diluted in water and used as broth. On its own, it's way too strong and way too salty. That's not to say you could save Marmite by doing that, as it would probably be awful. Stuff really does taste like a dirty cornhole, or that yeast sludge you get at the bottom of your fermentor when making beer - just with an equal volume of salt added to it.

haha, I feel like it's probably past the expiration date now........and it is. Feb 2014. Lol

To be honest, I can't actually imagine that this stuff would EVER go bad. That's not a joke, it's just so...forceful and viscous. But I'm not going to ask you to test that theory. That would be irresponsible.

Dougald

I suspect we'll see the heat death of the universe before a single jar of marmite actually expires, it's probably fine

They say you should try one new thing every day. Gaf, next time you're in a store that sells this stuff I CHALLENGE you to give it a shot. What's a few dollars if you don't like it?

You must spread it on buttery toast and very, very thinly though.

I love Marmite, and Bovril is good too. Both go great with a slice of cheese.

Many people who don't like Marmite like Bovril though, it's less intense and has a beef flavour.

hoserx

To be honest, I can't actually imagine that this stuff would EVER go bad. That's not a joke, it's just so...forceful and viscous. But I'm not going to ask you to test that theory. That would be irresponsible.

Maybe I should do an "unboxing" and consumption video.....haha.

TedMilk

Are you all globbing it on the bread like Nutella? Scrape it on with a knife, if you ate a tablespoon of pure salt you'd all hate on that too.

Fox Mulder

I've never tried it, but figured all the "eww it's gross" videos of fellow Americans trying it are just doing it wrong. Doesn't seem like a thing you slather on like peanut butter.

moggio

Banned
I've never tried it, but figured all the "eww it's gross" videos of fellow Americans trying it are just doing it wrong. Doesn't seem like a thing you slather on like peanut butter.

Well, I mean, I do, but I also eat it directly from the jar with a spoon.

Generally a little goes a long way, however.

dunno about marmite but with vegemite but the trick is restraint in spreading it. You butter some bread (toasted or untoasted) then put a thin layer of vegemite and eat it.Some people will have it with cheese. Some will have it on crackers.

Its savoury, so you don't eat it expecting something sweet (like nutella or peanut butter).
Sometimes you want a candy with a nut in it, sometimes you want salted nuts.

deli2000

I live in the town where Marmite is made. The smell that comes from the factory is so gross it makes me want to destroy every single jar of the stuff on sight.

Toxi

Banned
Things that are better than Marmite on toast

Butter
Margarine
Peanut butter
Cream cheese
Real cheese
Jelly
Preserves
Honey
Sliced fruit
Veggies
Nutella
Gravy
Maple syrup
Meat
Eggs
Fish
Salsa
Arsenic
Polonium
Vegemite (but not by much)

Butter
Margarine
Peanut butter
Cream cheese
Real cheese
Jelly
Preserves
Honey
Sliced fruit
Veggies
Nutella
Maple syrup
Meat
Eggs
Fish
Salsa
Arsenic
Polonium

I should have you arrested for that flagrant trolling

Butter
Margarine
Peanut butter
Cream cheese
Real cheese
Jelly
Preserves
Honey
Sliced fruit
Veggies
Nutella
Gravy
Maple syrup
Meat
Eggs
Fish
Salsa
Arsenic
Polonium

You forgot faeces

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Europe I love you. I love you with all my heart. A good deal of my relatives are European. But this I can't support you in. This shit is gross. If I was stuck on a desert island with no food, and someone air dropped premade toast with this crap spread on it, I'd be of the belief that they wanted me to die a cruel and horrible death. I'm not an American but I agree with them, yuck.

Well for starters, that's the wrong Marmite. Proper Marmite is made by Seventh-Day Adventists next to the Weet-Bix.

It also needs to be spread thin, as illustrated below.

Yeast-Infection.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You Australians are freaking disgusting tbh

Edit: Wait, I don't think I've ever tried marmite. I'm sure it's shit, though.

I lived in England for five years. I have a lot to say about your food but Marmite?

Fuck Marmite.

I gave it a good college try and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth fast enough. It's horrid. Give me beans on toast any day before that.

I lived in England for five years. I have a lot to say about your food but Marmite?

Fuck Marmite.

I gave it a good college try and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth fast enough. It's horrid. Give me beans on toast any day before that.

Well done for giving it a go. It's not for everyone. Half of England hates it just as much as you do. But the other half love it. I am pleased you enjoyed beans-on-toast. American product, English application.

Fandangox

Never had it.

All I know about Marmite is from this video:

tumblr_lm0x20leCf1qg51mgo1_400.gif

Seems like a pretty reliable source of info, Marmite is best avoided it seems.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Well for starters, that's the wrong Marmite. Proper Marmite is made by Seventh-Day Adventists next to the Weet-Bix.

It also needs to be spread thin, as illustrated below.

Yeast-Infection.jpg

The even bigger travesty is the right slice of bread is the heel of the loaf.

Why don't people from somewhere else like [food that is weird to them]? Surely one of the great mysteries of our time.

It's visually unappealing and probably smells bad before you even think about tasting it.

edbrat

marmite on toast is just the beginning, you can also pile on cheese, beans and a fried egg in practically any permutation. Or, if you're particularly hedonistic, all at the same time ffffuuuuu!!!11one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom