• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Offical Thread

JamesE

JDA said:
You know what the worst part is? You guys are total hypocrites.

A few weeks ago I made some comments about a certain upcoming Zelda game and everyone proceeded to trash me despite my clear comments and reasoning. This is a game that none of you even played.

But hey, get this...

In 2001, I played Sonic Adventure! It was OK!

In 2002 I played Sonic Adventure 2! It stripped Sonic Adventure of it's charm, added some rail grinding bullshit without any of Jet Set Radio's amazing implementation and forced 20 levels of shooting and hunting crap I didn't want to get the final bits of Sonic and Shadow! Otherwise it refused to address the issues that prevented Sonic Adventure from being amazing and left the core design essentially unchanged!

In 2004, I played Sonic Heroes. The house caught fire during my frantic efforts to burn the disc, and I woke up in hospital four days later.

In 2005 I played Shadow. It had negative charm, the horrible level design of Heroes and a bevy of the same camera, control and design issues that had been actively degenerating since Adventure 1.

In 2006 I've talked to people who've played the TGS demo, watched the videos and seen the same glitches, heard about the same level design flaws and I've seen this happen 4 times over already (albeit that Adventure was bearable and charming enough to be fun). Even before I try and find a demo tomorrow, I have enough qualifications to attack this direction. You have no idea how Zelda #4 will turn out because that series experiments massively from installment to installment.

Now I come on here posting about a game I am enjoying, one that I have actually played, and you idiots are allowed to trash it and anyone who likes it into the ground... WTF seriously.

Yeah! Let's not let people say things we disagree with. Awesome!

You guys are scum.

You are magic. You are a special, marvelous thing and I want to hold you by the hands and dance and skip and spin all day long while you rant at me about Sonic. Shine on you crazy diamond!

JamesE

I just heard Sega and DIMPS no longer have a working relationship, so probably no Sonic Rush 2 (the reason is Rumblefish, apparently). Awesome :(

MegaTen

Banned
Just fought the Egg-Genesis... that was probably one of Eggman/Robotnik's coolest "boss machines" in a Sonic game. It's a little similar to one of the boss fights in the first Sonic Adventure.. can't recall the name of the machine, though.

KingJ2002

Father_Brain said:

lollercaust

im not sure if the game im playing and the game 1up reviewed are one in the same.

i dont remember a first person switch for tails and the stages are beautiful.

whatever... i stand by what i said. i havent had this much fun with a sonic game since SA

This thread does a barrel roll into my heart.

I think I'm going to rent this one tomarrow. If this is at least as good (and unfortunatly from the sound of things, just as broke) as Sonic Adventure it should be worth playing through, just... not worth buying.
If it's as bad as Sonic Heroes though; inner 8-year old am cry. :.(

nubbe

aktlys.png

At least we got some neat gamer pics and themes to buy thanks to the game!

Wow.

This game has so many problems it's not even funny. I like where they were going with certain aspects of it, but I think it needed another 6 months... if only to fix whatever the **** is up with the loading. It should not take 20 seconds to load a 5 second cut scene. Bah.

I am trading this in for DOAX2 tomorrow.

Christopher

dark some more impressions if you will? How is the story? What about the other characters can you use them freely?

damn some mod needs to clean this thread up ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
KingJ2002 said:
im not sure if the game im playing and the game 1up reviewed are one in the same.

i dont remember a first person switch for tails and the stages are beautiful.

whatever... i stand by what i said. i havent had this much fun with a sonic game since SA
If you hold X, you can go first person and launch one of those bombs.

The 5.5 score seems pretty accurate for 1up, though. As much fun as certain aspects can be, there are too many problems. The game feels glitchy and unfinished.

It's a shame their engine wasn't put to better use, as it can do some impressive things. The entire world and all objects within it cast shadows. A large, moving light source would allow for all world shadows to move beautifully through the environment. It's a fully unified lighting engine. The models are also of great quality (near CG quality even). The fact that it runs at 60 fps and sports some of the best image quality on XBOX360 (cleaner than the demo even) is really impressive.

The problem is, the whole thing feels like as if various designers just worked on each individual piece of the game and didn't really place it all together until the last month or so. They had no concept of how to handle the data. It's as if they flush the ram constantly and reload all of the needed data for each and every individual scene. There is NO excuse for this. The fact that action stages are broken up by load screens is a real kick in the face. Someone suggested that they drew ideas for using physics from Half-Life 2, but it seems that they were also fans of how Valve handled loading.

Loading can KILL a game. I loved PGR3, but the loading (1 minute for a full race) was SO long and SO often that I could no longer enjoy it. Start a race? Loading. Retry? Loading. Finish a race? More loading. Loading Loading Loading. At least in THEIR case, PGR3 had a TON of data to load into ram AND was a launch title. There are many instances within Sonic where they choose to load data at the worst possible time or throw in worthless scenes (those 5 second mission cutscenes, for example). It's just poor planning and design.

dark some more impressions if you will? How is the story? What about the other characters can you use them freely?
As I said, the action stages are generally very enjoyable. It's true that they continue to suffer from many of the problems found in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but it's also true that they are back to that style rather than what you found in Heroes and Shadow. The number of possible paths one could take through each level have gone through the roof, though (which is awesome). There are certainly improvements abound, but if you couldn't stand SA1 and 2, this won't change your mind.

Heroes and Shadow were so bogged down with worthless enemies, boring level layouts that went on for FAAAAAAAR too long, and control problems. Not the case here.

The town stages are as throw-away as SA1, but are much much larger (though there are things to find at least). Problem is, you might end up running around a massive area trying to figure just where the hell the next action stage is. Not really a huge deal in and of itself, though, and many action stage are not divided by the town.

The worst aspect of the game would be the addition of missions within the town. By themselves, they are not awful, but when bookended by 30 seconds of loading, it really kills them.

I keep stressing the loading, and that really is THE worst problem with the game. Even action stages are split in two (with one of them splint into FOUR pieces). The loading between each piece requires 15 seconds. Not a huge deal, but it kills the flow.

If loading were not an issue, this could probably end up superior to SA1 and 2 without question.

Story wise, things are pretty dull, to be honest. Much much better than Heroes and Shadow, but still kind of pointless and random (like SA2's). Thankfully, the President hasn't rolled in or anything and human interactions are kept to a minimum (outside of the Princess). The humans within the world have virtually nothing to do with anything and play no role in the story. If you want any additional details, I can spill them.

KingJ2002

Ok... im back with new impressions and man. Im starting to feel like i wasted my money on this game.

Let me break down the problems...

Camera:

Forgiving in certain stages but terrible in many. Most of the time you find yourself fighting with the camera to get the best angle. Also instead of ghosting through objects like in most games the camera gets stuck between objects giving you a terrible angle. Shadows stages are the worst since as how you have to drive using the terrible scheme. most of the time you have no idea where you're going.

Gameplay:

They really refined certain things from the demo such as the homing attack and running around but thats it. Playing with sonic is pretty straight forward but silver and even shadow to a certain degree is painful seeing as how their attacks go into awkward camera angles and eventually lead to your death. Shadow is not as fun because there is too many enemies and not enough time to get through them. Plus using vehicles in a game like this is pointless. it's like superman jumping on a train to get to a crime scene. Also the learning curve is bullshit... sometimes you're given objectives and have no clue how to achieve them. I was stuck at one point for 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get through a door with knuckles (which btw... it's no fun playing with knuckles, tails, blaze, and the rest of the lackies. they suck. period.) there is no direction and the camera is definitely no help. It's more like... just run and hope you get to where you're going without losing too many lives.

ring bombs sega? wtf? cant think of any way to make tails interesting huh.

there's more but i really have so much to touch on I'm just going to move on.

Stages:

Some of these stages are so beautiful but downright awful to play through. Like wave ocean is a beautiful stage and radical train is another one... and i think thats it. Most of this game looks like a blown up version of SA 2. The jungle stage looks like an enhanced port out of Sonic Adventure and the snow stage actually looks worse to me (also touching back on game play... they ****ed up the snowboarding... i mean it was already bad... now it's just retarded. Plus... like using cars, snowboarding is unnecessary. You cant even grind on a rail let alone do a trick like before. You're literally sitting there wondering why did they put this here?) plus it's way too open ended like they are trying to turn sonic into a Mario hybrid. whats next sega... fetch quests? gotta find some red and blue rings too? oh yea... these acts are like time trials... don't send me to look for a switch the size of a grape in the middle of nowhere. IT'S NOT FUN!

storyline is your run of the mill save the princess saga... once again taking from super mario but doing it all wrong.

but i digress... even though this game has many problems it's far from a 5/10 rating IMO... maybe a high 6 but not a 5. I really cant recommend this game to anyone... even fans. it will just piss you off. from the glitches with the characters that stick to walls (knuckles / rouge the bat... they actually go through them and you cant get off of them when you stick to them) to loading. It's just not a good game.

I'm going back to the store today to return this game... it has some easy achievement points but i really dont want to play through the game anymore. Im already burnt out on this game and looking forward to the next sonic hoping they get it right.

jman2050

KingJ2002 said:
Ok... im back with new impressions and man. Im starting to feel like i wasted my money on this game.

Let me break down the problems...

Since I don't trust dark10x with anything Sonic related, I have to read this for some impressions. And thy make me sad :(

I might rent this...
EDIT - Ugh, sorry about the caps. This keyboard sucks...

KingJ2002

jman2050 said:
Since I don't trust dark10x with anything Sonic related, I HAVE TO READ THIS FR SOME IMPRESSIONS> And thy make me sad :(

I might rent this...

go right ahead but this game is like agonizing pain at certain points.

one thing i didnt touch on was the super speed areas that sonic has. Which is basically what we saw in the majority of the trailers. In essence it's pretty good. Go through these beautiful level at break neck speeds, shifting through objects, while the motion blur makes the scenery look amazing.

NOPE.

it's more like falling down an endless flight of stairs trying to hold onto as many rings as possible.

too many obstacles and the controls are... like... what controls? you just go forward and crash into things in front of you while the stage keeps moving... and dont bother jumping... you will fly off the stage right into an abyss.

sonic team deserves to be caned for this!

FightyF

Banned
JDA said:
God, you guys are ****ing idiots. You aren't even able to form your own opinions and you accuse others, who clearly know better than you do, of not knowing what they're talking about.

Jesus ****ing christ you guys are ****ing idiots. Eat shit and die.

Post of November!

If you think they're posts are bad, just wait until Sonic Wii is released, I'm be worse than all of these guys combined.

JamesE said:
That was an inherently bad game that failed on almost every basic design level, I agree.

It wasn't a bad game. It just wasn't the Sonic game we were expecting.

This is mostly all you can do in 3D Sonic now. Tails throws ring bombs at enemies like some kind of Bubsy 3D shit. The animations are moving away from spining to slide-kicks and mid-air pose striking.

It's bad, but it's the closest thing to Sonic we've got.

Ristar never ran into the screen or dropped rings when he took damage. Sonic did both of these things as early as 1992! Do you see? do you see?

Ok, replace the character and the rings...there. It's some sort of on rails cutesy running game. No one would look at it and say, hey...this gameplay reminds me of Sonic!
And that's because it isn't Sonic.

Well, you can either give the game a chance on it's own merits (as I intend to) or be all Rain Man about it and never play anthing that doesn't meet your 12-point plan for a better Sonic ever again. If Wildfire is fun, it's your loss.

I'll buy it as I buy lots of Sonic titles...but it's a diversion that SEGA needs to stay away from.

It's like Sonic Riders...it was an average game...much like how Sonic Wii is. It's a diversion, it's not the 3D platformer we've all been waiting for.

I've heard it's gonna be a shitty game, from a huge Sonic fan. Most people who've played it and dig it aren't really Sonic fans.

Maztorre

Fight for Freeform said:
It's bad, but it's the closest thing to Sonic we've got.

So we should support BAD games just because they may be somewhat more like the older Sonic games than another game?

I'll buy it as I buy lots of Sonic titles...but it's a diversion that SEGA needs to stay away from.

So you DO just buy Sonic games without any actual reasoning behind your decision. It's people like you buying everything Sonic-related that Sega puts out who are ruining things for everyone else.

It's like Sonic Riders...it was an average game...much like how Sonic Wii is. It's a diversion, it's not the 3D platformer we've all been waiting for.

I've heard it's gonna be a shitty game, from a huge Sonic fan. Most people who've played it and dig it aren't really Sonic fans.

Who are you to judge who is or isn't really a Sonic fan? There are so many completely seperate groups of people who like the Sonic games, for evidently different reasons, that it is impossible to make a sweeping statement like this. Given the impressions of Sonic 2006 we've seen thus far, I'll be happy with a good game with the Sonic name on it at all. Not that I'm expecting that to happen in the near future.

Firestorm

Christopher said:
Well it LOOKED exciting, but apparently plays like shit :(. The other one looks boring, and probably plays boring.

No. It looked exciting at first. Then it looked like shit starting at the E3 '06 trailer. Then it played like shit.

D-X

You know what? If you (general game buying public) had bought quality SEGA titles like Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Yakuza, Panzer Dragoon Orta then SEGA wouldn't have to churn out the only game of theirs which really sells twice a year. So to summarise it's not the fault of the SEGA fans who continue to support them... its the fault of the apathetic games buying public.

YOU RUINED IT...

YOU RUINED IT FOR ALL OF US!!!

Damn this slipped way back to five pages ago.

I dunno man I like it. Loading really sucks but other than that, best Sonic game since Adventure 2.

Not that that means anything anymore.

TheDuce22

Banned
Its just like most other Sega games. The core gameplay is great if you can put up with all the crap they didnt bother fixing. I have never heard of a game taking 10 seconds to load a 2 second cutscene then another 10 seconds for a cutscene in a different area, then having to load again for 20 seconds for the gameplay to start. And this isnt just one specific part, it happens quite often. If the game wasnt so fun I would have thrown it out the window. Even the side characters are worth playing for once, Silvers missions are awesome. I wish sega could get out of their own way, with more polish this could have been an alltime classic.

Top Bottom