• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Offical Thread

GCQuinton said:
And love or hate the game, this is some of the best Sonic music I've heard in a while.

Yep the soundtrack is amazing. Makes it easier to play through the game. :)
And again the snowboarding blows but the first part of White Acropolis is awesome.

Btw: The composers are Jun Senoue(yawn) and Hideyaki Kobayashi(Phantasy Star).

Brannon

Okay.

Crisis City.

Good to go.

I can give credit where it's due, and I must say that aside from the loading and some control issues, Crisis City is PURE GOLD. I almost had the same giddy feeling when I played Sonic/Shadow's space levels in Sonic Adventure 2.

If Crisis City is any indication of future levels, I might only be 80% as pissed off at Sega as I am now.

Sanjuro

Sonic Rush was just a cock tease.....sigh. Sell your red running shoes...he is dead. This game is horrible.

BTW I got a Sonic 15th Anniversary statue thing that came in with this game...its better than the game.

FightyF

Banned
Firestorm said:
Ouch. 4.6/10 from GameTrailers.

geforceavatar.gif

The more bad reviews, the more SEGA/Sonic Team will realize that they are ****ing up the series.

And need me...F4F, to be their new lead designer. My credentials? I kick ass. References? Other people's (sore) asses. Industry experience? I have enough experience to know Sonic Team sucks ripe chicken.

Who's with me?

Official "make F4F the head honcho of Sonic Team" Petition
Fight for Freedom
*your name could be here!*

D-X

You gotta wonder how much corporate pressure the team is under to produce these games. People joke about Naka and how he drove the series into the ground, now he's gone the team have a clean slate to go in whatever direction they like. Unless, as I suspect, Naka wasn't really behind all the badness, he bailed out due to the monotony of pushing out annual Sonic's. Well it's only a theory Naka has a lot to prove with Prope.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The few positive responses make me want to give this game a chance - I really liked the demo, and I want a secondary game to compliment Gears of War - that's why I don't mind it not being the resurrection of Sonic, and in the worst case scenario, I can always carry it back...

Atleast I know what to expect, what with the entire Internet citing the games major faults... I just hope I can put up with the loading time, since loading time is my biggest pet peeve in gaming...

They need to take some time with future Sonic games.

It seems like they are pumping out new Sonic games annually. So they come up with a lot of half assed ideas and put out half assed games. Maybe if they took 6-12 more months developing this game, it could have been a lot better.

Sonic is getting milked and most of the new titles are garbage.

I have little faith in the Wii Sonic, even if it is made by Dimps. For the next batch of Sonic games, Sega should ask, "Is this game actually good? Will people want to own this?" If not, keep working on it.

JamesE

Some impressions I posted elsewhere:

So, I just got to play this:

I've been looking out for 360 pods running Sonic - besides my morbid curiosity, there genuinely is a little part of me forever 9 years old that still gets excited at Sonic games, and my tolerance for SEGAcrap is such that I was able to force myself to beat Shadow. I've been critical of the directions Sega have steered this game, but I still <i>wanted</i> to play it.

The demo unit was unoccupied when I walked in, having clearly been abandoned in town mode. I restarted a game as Sonic (since neither of the other two Zoo Crew Allstars had been unlocked) and skipped the opening cinematics, only to be dumped into... furry Shemue. Seriously, this game is so Dreamcast they decided to add a Shemue section to it. You slide around semi-controllably talking to bad Poser art-style people trying to find the first stage. Already I could see collison detection glitches, where Sonic would get stuck in the corners of objects. Note to game designers: the first section of your action game should always be instant access, don't make me fight to even get a first impression because that is the best possible way to make a bad impression. Finding Tails took about a minute. After about 30 more seconds of careering around like a drunken pinball, I was finally able to guide Sonic to a line of rings - no Light Dash to use them, however. I had to find some old Itallian dude and take his mission to test out his new shoe prototypes... which look exactly like the shoes I was wearing before. Here's how it went:

Old geezer: WILL YOU TEST MY SHOES?

>YES

(1 MINUTE OF LOADING)

OK, RUN THROUGH ALL THE RINGS AND I'LL KNOW THE SHOES WORK!

(1 MINUTE OF LOADING)

The actual gameplay was a kind of GTA mission for pre-schoolers: I had to jump through a series of hoops, then hit a spring and land while going through a vertical line of them. Thanks to the extreme control sensitivity, this last part took two attempts.

Cue more loading time and a ranking screen! Boy, this is fun!

I finally have my shoes! Now I can light dash, right? No, I have to go and find a very unobtrusive shop to buy the "Light Chip" for 100 rings. What utter ****ing bullshit. FINALLY, I get to light dash across to LEVEL ****ING ONE of the game. Level entrances aren't even intergrated into the map like Sonic Adventure 1: I had to find a "magic mirror of Soleanna", which is basically a spinning token of the level you want to play.

By now my face is like this: 0:<

Cue level 1. Straight away, I'm on an uncontrollable roller coaster section, still twiddling my thumbs. When I finally get into the level, it all looks very pleasant and SEGAy - the sound and graphics are this game's only saving graces. Level design is pretty bad - now that they've added multiple routes, telling the camera to keep pointing forward at all times just obstructs your progress through the game. Straight away some scripting ****s up and I'm lucky I don't lose a life as Sonic is flung onto a stone ring, where he refuses to move for 10 seconds while the physics unretard themselves. I lose my first life when more scripting goes wrong and I'm flung off a scripted loop-de-loop into the briny depths. I manage to keep moving along, and after a few retarded "press jump as soon as you land!" moments of scripting I'm flung onto the fin of a killer whale. Sonic tells Tails to do something, and Tails appears out of literally nowhere. I can only assume Sonic has enforced shira law and forces Tails to remain a mile behind him at all times.

Tails. Oh, Tails! This game castrated you. You used to be Sonic's buddy, matching his speed and moves. Now you trundle along at a slow pace and throw "fake ring bombs" at enemies. This game has ruined you more than Sonic Adventure 2 did. Tail's levels are slow, ponderous and devoid of fun. Pressing "X" makes him goof a ring bomb at an enemy. The camera then switches to an overhead-and-behind angle, <i>even though you are still engaged in live combat</i>. I got shot a lot because of this. Holding down X makes Tails "snipe" by engaging first-person mode - just like the attack in <i>Bubsy the Bobcat 3D!</i> Level design signposts are almost entirely absent - there's a lot of ****ing around to be done before you find out where to go next. This caused me to lose a life as the whale and Sonic move through a gate into the open sea, causing Sonic to drown. As they move through the gate, the model clips through the sides. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. After losing another life by drowning through no fault of my own (dying as Tails takes you back to playing as Sonic, such is the abysmal distribution of checkpoints) (hey, can't Tails swim?) I finally found a jump panel hidden behind some rocks and opened the gate. More loading, then on to the Mach Speed area!

"Mach Speed" is German for "this blue hedgehog is moving too quickly and erratically for me to control". Gameplay involves wrestling with the control stick and praying you'll hold on to at least one ring as Sonic blunders through trees and rocks. At one point I entered another "jump as soon as you land!" section, but because the camera was trailling behind me so badly, I couldn't see what I had to do - Sonic fell for four seconds before hitting the water and going through the dying script. What ****ing bullshit. Next, I hit a tree with no rings and the camera stopped while Sonic kept running into the distance despite having just died. Then I died again and it was game over - no option to continue, I was taken back to the very start of the game, where I'd have to get the stupid ****ing shoes all over again. **** that. I walked out.

SSUK is showing his beaten SEGA wife tendencies again - this is an appalling game, with only graphics, sound and misplaced nostalgia going for it. Controls are worse than Shadow, as is level design. Sonic slides like he's moving on ice, and there's little meaningful gameplay with lots of bullshit loading circa 1996. It's almost like a parody of a videogame, rushed out with complete contempt for the audience. Don't buy this and move on with your lives.

This game is complete shit. Bracing for Christopher-Chan response!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
As much of a sonic fan i am, i enjoyed this game, But still, i have to agree that it is an unfinished product. Too much buggs, And the last story is just frickin unfair (i beat it but had the urge to break the disc and piss on it many times.)

I hope they do a poll like their poll about who wed like to play as in a new game, and SONIC ONLY is in the poll list... :lol

Captain N

Anyone planning on picking this up for the PS3? I wouldn't think to pick it up on the PS3 over the 360 since I like achievements.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Hmm the gmae seems to be getting pretty bad reviews. But i'll give it a chance. There were some Sonic/Shadow levels on SA2 that were just awesome. Really this Sonic The Hedgwehog should just try to make a whole gam eout of all those great levels and throw all the stupid mission based shit out.

Firestorm

I'll probably pick this up used off eBay or CAG once everyone tries to get rid of it. That way +0 sales for Sega and I get to try out yet another shitty Sonic game and pretend I'm playing something better!

My childhood was crying as I listened to that Sonic 3 & Knuckles remix project. God. WHY SEGA?

0 HP

can anyone take pictures of the bosses - particularly egg wyvern, egg cerberus, and egg genesis? i want to see the robotnik mechs.

thanks.

KingJ2002

0 HP said:
can anyone take pictures of the bosses - particularly egg wyvern, egg cerberus, and egg genesis? i want to see how they did with the robotnik mechs.

thanks.

no pics but...

egg cerberus - robotic dog

egg wyvern - robotic floating spider

egg genesis - robotic dragon

has a very "been there, done that" design

emalord

Hi mates,
I really hadn't the guts to read all the thread.
I was REALLY afraid to find someone happy and satisfied with this obscene product.
I say this, because I'm going to write something you might already know but it's always better to state:
- Buy this game only if you are an hardcore fan of the franchise.

If you are not, don't buy it and you will avoid:
- the biggest, massive, landsliding quantity of loadings ever. This game loads in Solleanna City each 3 minutes gameplay. Loads 15seconds just to show you some text and a bunch of hi-res polygons, and then load again and again and again.
- Worst game design ever. There's only a way to beat bosses and it's not even funny. Normal level design is flat as a man's breasts
- It's impossible to edit controller's axis. The game has inverted ones, and you cannot invert them.
- cameramen have coffee break for almost the game and with the inverted axis problem work is even more difficult (well, actually I played only for 3 hours but to me it was enough..
I mean: really good games are beautiful from the beginning to the end. Average game are beautiful in the beginning and eventually in the end, but must be fixed in the transition. Bad games don't even begin on their best.... and this makes me think this is an awful one...
- Graphics are so bad that the shadow of trees in Solleanna pops-up when you are almost there.... No effects when you impact water or sand or whatever. Framerate does everything it can to show itself to the audience
- I did'nt receive any achievement point until now. Well, I might be not a suppaplayer, I did not finish any level with S, but what about 10 fuc***g AP when I unlock the Silver levels for example? Don't you really want me to go on with your game at any cost?

Some good points:
- music are cute and reminds me of the dreamcast experience
- hi-res CG is not bad
- voiceover is honest
But Could this be enough?

Christopher

JamesE said:
Some impressions I posted elsewhere:

This game is complete shit. Bracing for Christopher-Chan response!

Your like one of those people who want to tell all children Santa isn't real. Haha no if this game is even being bashed by the hardcore Sonic fans I have nothing else to say. I thought this would be a sequel to Sonic Adventure 2, something I've wanted since it ended and had ot put up with two totally SHIT Sonic games; Sonic Heroes, and Shadow. Now thirds the charm I suppose.

I still dig the look/feeling they were going for, it's just that they need to fix the damn engine/gameplay.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It ain't that bad.
Trying to get some S-ranks and find all the silver medals right now. :)
The game is glitched to the point that if you try to get all the Silver Emblems, the counter 'freezes' before you get all of them. Therefore, you can't unlock the bonus stage unless Sega patch it.

JamesE

Mr. Pointy said:
The game is glitched to the point that if you try to get all the Silver Emblems, the counter 'freezes' before you get all of them. Therefore, you can't unlock the bonus stage unless Sega patch it.

I heard about this! Apparently it sabotages all the people out to unlock the super-duper REAL FINAL BOSS or whatever has been rumored.

Sega clearly rushed this puppy every step of the way - you can feel the gems of some workable gameplay, but it's obvious management wanted a product to sell as quickly as possible. If the gameplay worked this would be amazing brain candy. It isn't.

Is anyone playing Sonic Rivals on the PSP? It's beautiful and fun to play, but so far i'm having a hard time catching on since it took me probably 4 tries to beat the first level. Anyone figured out any tips?

I will return to this thread with my impressions of the PS3 version after I complete the story mode and replay some action stages over and over.

It is possible for a Sonic fan to review a Sonic game with impartiality, after I beaten Sonic Riders I sold it to a Mother of a 8 year old Sonic fan because I thought Sonic Riders to be almost unplayable

as far as Shadow The Hedgehog, hehe. That game is 33% good, meaning 33% of the stages are actually fun while the rest are not. The best way to play Shadow is to KNOW wich paths lead to GOOD stages and stick with those paths everytime you replay the game

Mr. Pointy said:

Well that is ****ing bullshit. Sonic Team really screwed this one up.

Sonic is still cool but Sonic Team is dead to me, ****ing ridiculous.

Sonicpr0n.jpg

http://superdickery.com/seduction/50.html

"Well...I...uhh..."

Top Bottom