• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for "Jackie" starring Natalie Portman

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

She has impressed me rarely in films and only enough for a few scenes. I don't know how she is so popular.

Not familiar with Jackie, is she interesting?

I don't have speakers on this computer. Is she doing that horrible Massachusetts accent every actor does?

She's doing some sort of accent, but it doesn't sound like a typical new england accent. It really just sounds like natalie portman's normal voice, but she's mispronouncing a couple of vowels or something.

It's hard to tell because she barely speaks in the trailer, and when she does the sentences aren't long enough to analyze. Plus the music drowns her out.

God, Portman winning an oscar for Black Swan still pisses me off.

Actually, Black Swan winning any oscars at all still pisses me off.
If anything, that was an achievement in casting. Portman and Kunis were both playing within their comfort zone, as the text of the film and the roles those characters play within it can even be seen as meta commentary on those two actresses. Neither was pushing their range or abilities.

Libatique should have won for cinematography that year.

God, Portman winning an oscar for Black Swan still pisses me off.

Actually, Black Swan winning any oscars at all still pisses me off.

Why? Who should've won instead.

She has impressed me rarely in films and only enough for a few scenes. I don't know how she is so popular.

Not familiar with Jackie, is she interesting?

I thought she was awful until I realized it was how she was directed in the Star Wars prequels and I hadn't watched The Professional then which she was great in as a kid.

Her performance in V for Vendetta is very underrated.

MollyWhomp

Neo Member
The weird pseudo-3D compositing of the crowd reflection in the window of the car looked really off.

But that overhead shot of the car speeding away was pretty dope.

Holy shit you guys are right about that Oscar bait. It's literally leaking off the trailer. However it was a very well done teaser.

According to the reviews that came out of Venice and Toronto for this, it's really not oscar-bait-y at all, it's way more unconventional than that. I love Larrain's last few films, he's not really the type to turn in a conventional Hollywood biopic at all. Also the score's done by Mica Levi, who did the Under the Skin soundtrack.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Looks good, already has my interest far more than something like Lincoln.

Ekai

What did I miss?

Long story short:
-He saw a film by Satoshi Kon called Perfect Blue when it first came out in the late 90s

-Loved it and immediately wanted to befriend Kon in order to get the film rights.

-Recreated the bathtub scene in it for Requiem for a Dream (this isn't where the issue lies)

-Many years later he's working on a film called Black Swan that is incredibly similar in terms of story, character and even shot composition, symbolism in the shots themselves, etc. etc. etc. etc. to Perfect Blue. Like, the similarities are ridiculously in your face. It's overwhelmingly apparent for anyone who has seen both how much Black Swan religiously just takes directly from Perfect Blue both in terms of general plot/character structure and even how it looks.

-During interviews in post-production for the film he out-right denied the similarities existed and even went so far as to downplay and say that Kon himself wasn't much of an influence when anyone who paid attention knew damn well how much Aronofsky was "influenced" by Kon.

-During this same time, Black Swan's post-production, Kon was dying of pancreatic cancer.

-After Kon's death, despite stabbing him in the back, Aronofsky still got to write a forward to a book about Kon's life, eulogizing him.

-Oh, also, ever since obtaining the film rights, it's pretty much impossible to find a working Perfect Blue DVD for the USA region without paying over a hundred dollars for the old release. You can still easily get it elsewhere in the world but Aronofsky has purposefully made it difficult for anyone to even see Perfect Blue in the states.

-By contrast, Christopher Nolan at least acknowledged Kon's influence in Inception with his film Paprika

In short: Screw Aronofsky. He's my most hated person in all of Hollywood.

Tho this is getting off-topic from Jackie itself.

I hope in this version that after JFK dies (can this be considered a spoiler?) that Jackie kisses him one last time and John magically comes back to life. Then we get to see what America would be like without the tragedy that was the Johnson-Nixon-Carter-Reagan-Bush legacies.

Blader

Long story short:
-He saw a film by Satoshi Kon called Perfect Blue when it first came out in the late 90s

-Loved it and immediately wanted to befriend Kon in order to get the film rights.

-Recreated the bathtub scene in it for Requiem for a Dream (this isn't where the issue lies)

-Many years later he's working on a film called Black Swan that is incredibly similar in terms of story, character and even shot composition, symbolism in the shots themselves, etc. etc. etc. etc. to Perfect Blue. Like, the similarities are ridiculously in your face. It's overwhelmingly apparent for anyone who has seen both how much Black Swan religiously just takes directly from Perfect Blue both in terms of general plot/character structure and even how it looks.

-During interviews in post-production for the film he out-right denied the similarities existed and even went so far as to downplay and say that Kon himself wasn't much of an influence when anyone who paid attention knew damn well how much Aronofsky was "influenced" by Kon.

-During this same time, Black Swan's post-production, Kon was dying of pancreatic cancer.

-After Kon's death, despite stabbing him in the back, Aronofsky still got to write a forward to a book about Kon's life, eulogizing him.

-Oh, also, ever since obtaining the film rights, it's pretty much impossible to find a working Perfect Blue DVD for the USA region without paying over a hundred dollars for the old release. You can still easily get it elsewhere in the world but Aronofsky has purposefully made it difficult for anyone to even see Perfect Blue in the states.

-By contrast, Christopher Nolan at least acknowledged Kon's influence in Inception with his film Paprika

Personally I think Black Swan more blatantly rips off The Red Shoes than Perfect Blue.

Who else saw "Jackie" and immediately thought thought this was going to be a Jackie Chan biographical?

Anyone? No?

1p548Xd.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Normally I have zero interest in biopics, but the reviews have been intriguing.

Has anyone ever figured out exactly what rights he purchased? I assumed it was remake rights, not any kind of US distribution for the original anime. But if he's the reason there still isn't a domestic Blu-ray edition of that glorious film... that would fucking piss me off.

dankir

What is she saying at the end? I couldn't understand her.

People are saying there's a C..... there won't be another C

Camelot? Caveat?

karasu

Long story short:

It don't matter to Jesus! His movies have a psychological depth that others are lacking. So I'll watch anything Aronofsky puts out.

jett

D-Member
I didn't realize this was about Jackie Kennedy when I clicked the link.

I couldn't be less interested in the subject matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom