• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaser for "Jackie" starring Natalie Portman

Status
Not open for further replies.
They gave everything away in the trailer. I feel like I already know whats going to happen.

sensiblechuckle.gif

Portman's accent reminds me of a South Park parody. The trailer was pretty good though. I can't decide which one is bigger oscar-bait; Jackie, or Denzel's Fences.

Ekai

Has anyone ever figured out exactly what rights he purchased? I assumed it was remake rights, not any kind of US distribution for the original anime. But if he's the reason there still isn't a domestic Blu-ray edition of that glorious film... that would fucking piss me off.

Technically no one knows exactly what rights he has (afaik). But given the "coincidental" timing of him obtaining the rights and the US region no longer getting any of the subsequent dvd/blu-ray releases I'm very partial to believe it's because of him. Especially since his main audience would be in the US region and there are still dvds/blu-rays coming out elsewhere in the world.

Plus, given he's never done a remake of Perfect Blue officially(tho given all the similarities even down to shot composition he more or less did with Black Swan), I doubt they're rights to a remake.

It don't matter to Jesus! His movies have a psychological depth that others are lacking. So I'll watch anything Aronofsky puts out.

For me it's about the principle of the matter. Kon is one of my favorite directors and Aronofsky purposefully ripped him off and stabbed him in the back. I'm not going to support a man who does that.

Personally I think Black Swan more blatantly rips off The Red Shoes than Perfect Blue.

I know of Red Shoes and could sort of see that argument but he had purchased the rights and given the story/character/literal copying of shots and how they're composed, it's obvious how much he was "inspired" by Perfect Blue.

Great trailer.

Holy shit at all the Portman hate in here. Have you nerds only seen Star Wars and Marvel movies?

She's been great for a long time. Closer is something everybody should check out.

game-boi

For me it's about the principle of the matter. Kon is one of my favorite directors and Aronofsky purposefully ripped him off and stabbed him in the back. I'm not going to support a man who does that.

I know of Red Shoes and could sort of see that argument but he had purchased the rights and given the story/character/literal copying of shots and how they're composed, it's obvious how much he was "inspired" by Perfect Blue.

I think you'd be doing yourself a big favor by seeing The Red Shoes for yourself. Honestly, both Perfect Blue and Black Swan pick up a lot of things from it. I'm not saying that the comparisons between Perfect Blue and Black Swan are unfounded, but I think you're jumping to some conclusions and you're assuming a lot of personal intent.

Back on subject: That is a beautifully edited trailer. Not sure I'm super interested in seeing the film itself, but the trailer was really nice.

Hari Seldon

I dunno if i can take that accent for an entire movie, but I love historical dramas so I'll give it a watch when it comes out on video.

I hope there is a poll for this thread

Black Swan
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones
Thor 2: The Dark World
Petrified Natalie Portman

Sorcerer

Great trailer.

Holy shit at all the Portman hate in here. Have you nerds only seen Star Wars and Marvel movies?

She's been great for a long time. Closer is something everybody should check out.

I can't believe anybody would watch a Star Wars movie and judge an actors performance.

Hello, George Lucas is a terrible director.

Natalie Portman is a great actress.
Casting her as Thor's girlfriend was just a really stupid casting move.
That's a role for a relative newb or an up and coming actress, not an established actress.

BKJest

I'm not big on biopics in general so this teaser is doing nothing for me but I really want to see that Jackie Chan biopic starring Natalie Portman now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Being an avid reader of the Kennedy's history, this excites me. Historians often have difficulty defining and describing JFK and Jackie's relationship, I mean, they knew they slept together in the same bed and all, but they don't know the relation dynamics. While I know the movie will focus in the days after JFK's assassination, I'm glad to see a bit of flashbacks in there (and damn JFK is pretty similar to the real one). Peter Sarsgaard looks just slightly similar to Robert (and I'm being nice), but the performance is what will sell him.

Anyway, aside from history, I'm loving the lens/camera the DOP is using in this one, it's really giving a 60's feel to it, with a touch of nostalgia. Great framing and use of color as well. I really can't wait to see it in theaters.

Who else saw "Jackie" and immediately thought thought this was going to be a Jackie Chan biographical?

Anyone? No?

1p548Xd.gif

Yes, but i was expecting UNCLE to be there

Speevy

Banned
Couldn't they have shown a scene of her acting with audio? The voice over was awful. I mean the reviews says she's great in it, so why not show that?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Whoa, first serious film in a long time to pique my interest for a theater watch, besides sci fi shit.

karasu

Great trailer.

I love Black Swan, but she's a pretty boring actress. She's never made any choices in her portrayals of these dozens of characters she's played that has been the least bit interesting. She's intelligent, pretty, and serviceable at best as an actress imo.

Long story short:
-He saw a film by Satoshi Kon called Perfect Blue when it first came out in the late 90s

-Loved it and immediately wanted to befriend Kon in order to get the film rights.

-Recreated the bathtub scene in it for Requiem for a Dream (this isn't where the issue lies)

-Many years later he's working on a film called Black Swan that is incredibly similar in terms of story, character and even shot composition, symbolism in the shots themselves, etc. etc. etc. etc. to Perfect Blue. Like, the similarities are ridiculously in your face. It's overwhelmingly apparent for anyone who has seen both how much Black Swan religiously just takes directly from Perfect Blue both in terms of general plot/character structure and even how it looks.

-During interviews in post-production for the film he out-right denied the similarities existed and even went so far as to downplay and say that Kon himself wasn't much of an influence when anyone who paid attention knew damn well how much Aronofsky was "influenced" by Kon.

-During this same time, Black Swan's post-production, Kon was dying of pancreatic cancer.

-After Kon's death, despite stabbing him in the back, Aronofsky still got to write a forward to a book about Kon's life, eulogizing him.

-Oh, also, ever since obtaining the film rights, it's pretty much impossible to find a working Perfect Blue DVD for the USA region without paying over a hundred dollars for the old release. You can still easily get it elsewhere in the world but Aronofsky has purposefully made it difficult for anyone to even see Perfect Blue in the states.

-By contrast, Christopher Nolan at least acknowledged Kon's influence in Inception with his film Paprika

In short: Screw Aronofsky. He's my most hated person in all of Hollywood.

Tho this is getting off-topic from Jackie itself.
Man fuck that guy. Perfect Blue was an awesome movie. What an asshole

Finaika

Long story short:
-He saw a film by Satoshi Kon called Perfect Blue when it first came out in the late 90s

-Loved it and immediately wanted to befriend Kon in order to get the film rights.

-Recreated the bathtub scene in it for Requiem for a Dream (this isn't where the issue lies)

-Many years later he's working on a film called Black Swan that is incredibly similar in terms of story, character and even shot composition, symbolism in the shots themselves, etc. etc. etc. etc. to Perfect Blue. Like, the similarities are ridiculously in your face. It's overwhelmingly apparent for anyone who has seen both how much Black Swan religiously just takes directly from Perfect Blue both in terms of general plot/character structure and even how it looks.

-During interviews in post-production for the film he out-right denied the similarities existed and even went so far as to downplay and say that Kon himself wasn't much of an influence when anyone who paid attention knew damn well how much Aronofsky was "influenced" by Kon.

-During this same time, Black Swan's post-production, Kon was dying of pancreatic cancer.

-After Kon's death, despite stabbing him in the back, Aronofsky still got to write a forward to a book about Kon's life, eulogizing him.

-Oh, also, ever since obtaining the film rights, it's pretty much impossible to find a working Perfect Blue DVD for the USA region without paying over a hundred dollars for the old release. You can still easily get it elsewhere in the world but Aronofsky has purposefully made it difficult for anyone to even see Perfect Blue in the states.

-By contrast, Christopher Nolan at least acknowledged Kon's influence in Inception with his film Paprika

In short: Screw Aronofsky. He's my most hated person in all of Hollywood.

Tho this is getting off-topic from Jackie itself.

Is this true?

I'm not a fan of Aronofsky overall tbh but I feel like that post is giving him too much credit as being some asshole shit heel to fans of Kon lol

Portman is good when she's given something good to work with, hearing she crushes it in this film. Will watch

I don't think she's great but she is capable of good stuff

Meowster

Natalie is inconsistent. She has incredible potential that she struggles to harness on her own. It all boils down to the director. She was fantastic in Leon: The Professional, Closer, and Black Swan. She had a bit part in Cold Mountain but I think she was better than both Kidman and Zellweger in her few scenes. Her accent was really bad in V for Vendetta but I thought her acting was pretty good in it otherwise. But then wooden throughout the Star Wars movies. Really bad in the Thor movies (though most of those movies were bad imho).

Jackie Kennedy's breathy voice is painful to listen to. Speaking of breath, is Portman going to chain-smoke like Jackie did?

Believe it or not but Portmans impression of Jackie O is on point in that clip

I think it will just take a couple minutes to get into the swing of things and it will no longer be so distracting lol

Anyways miss me with that Oscar bait shit. Yes certain directors are prone to that for sure but from what i heard about this movie it's not so trite. This isn't imitation game or some shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom