• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Studios developing Gears of War movie

iMax

Just announced on the special livestream that a Gears of War movie is in development with Universal Studios!

The way Rod's explaining how it can't just be a movie for gamers is exactly why Warcraft and others weren't very good. I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

Can't wait for the "X actor isn't BIG enough to play Marcus! do you even lift bro? His biceps need to have a width of at least 3 feet! " conversations.

Would need a really compelling plot/setup because when I imagine a Gears movie, it's mostly like other war movies but with the videogame factor bringing it down.

I love the Rock but I dunno if his role in Doom could be shaken lol

I guess it wouldn't matter, but I doubt it'll be him.

SFenton

I remember reading about the Halo movie a decade ago.

And how a couple years ago we got the deets on Portal and Half-Life.

And how Uncharted was primed for a movie.

Sorry, but I'll keep my expectations in check on this one. 2016 might have been the biggest year for adaptations yet (Warcraft, Angry Birds, R&C, Assassin's Creed), but I don't think we've reached a point where an announcement of a movie is a surefire thing yet like it is with, say, blockbuster book adaptations, or graphic novel/comic book adaptations.

We shouldn't assume it'll have Marcus or Dom in it-- I think if they want to do a movie they should do something separate from the first trilogy, maybe connect it to the new stuff. Those characters already have fleshed-out stories in the games including 4, so I think I'd be more interested in the film having its own characters or even some of the newer ones rather than just retreading the same shit.

icespide

Banned
is this one of those video game movies that will actually ever happen or just be announced and then never happen?

JambiBum

I'm not even sure if they need it to have the original core group in it. There's enough lore to gears that you can do a good movie that doesn't include them so that people don't get upset that x actor doesn't match y character.

Oh boy, I can't wait for the PG-13 Gears of War movie, and get to see all the chainsaw kills happen offscreen. Either that or the Locust will have green blood or some shit. Then they'll get to say the 'F' word only once, but 'Shit' will be in there a couple of times. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

We shouldn't assume it'll have Marcus or Dom in it-- I think if they want to do a movie they should do something separate from the first trilogy, maybe connect it to the new stuff. Those characters already have fleshed-out stories in the games including 4, so I think I'd be more interested in the film having its own characters or even some of the newer ones rather than just retreading the same shit.

I agree. It's got to be a fresh story, with new characters... who then make it into the games as bonus skins. :)

The Flash

Banned

Yeah I think it'd be easier to just make a new story with new characters and such.

Do people actually care about the plot in gears of war?

I just finished 3 last weekend and couldn't tell you anything about the story aside from it being kind of like Halo CE.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I remember reading that all these video game ips that are announced as movies are not actually going to be made. The studios buy the rights just so other studios wont be able to but they dont actually have any intention of making the movie.

Top Bottom