• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii specs: confirmed

I think we finally have some evidence supporting supposed specs that were floating around the internet a while ago.

Popular Science took some nude pics of the Wii, revealing the Wii's CPU and GPU.

wiitopsyss14lm4.jpg

The CPU is the one that has the IBM logo. Look closer........

wiitopsyss14copycm5.jpg

It reads 72914. 729.14 Mhz?

Broadway CPU

Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

Discuss.

Speevy

Banned
Not only the best graphics, but developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers...

Even if it were just for the obvious PR problems it could cause, I can't believe they set the clock speed to lower than the Xbox's,

lexi

Banned
Speevy said:
They're closer to the Xbox's specs IIRC.

It's close to the Xbox in terms of Mhz, but very different in terms of performance, considering it's based on PowerPC architecture, and not x86.

typhonsentra said:
Even if it were just for the obvious PR problems it could cause, I can't believe they set the clock speed to lower than the Xbox's,
I think it's generally accepted that the Gamecube CPU is faster than the Xbox CPU. The Wii CPU should definately be a lot faster than the Xbox CPU, because it's the same Gamecube CPU, only faster.

Here was arstechnica's take on the Wii specs: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060802-7407.html

http://wii.ign.com/launchguide/hardware1.html

729 MHz IBM PowerPC "Broadway" CPU
243 MHz ATI "Hollywood" GPU
24MBs "main" 1T-SRAM
64MBs other 1T-SRAM
512MBs internal flash memory
3MBs texture memory on GPU
Built-in 802.11b/g Wi-Fi capability
One SD memory card bay
AV multi-port: S-video, composite, component
Analog (left/right) audio / DPLII
Four GameCube controller ports Two GameCube Memory Pak slots
Two USB 2.0 ports Compatible with up to four wireless Wii-motes
Self-loading media drive Accepts 12cm Wii and 8cm GCN discs; no DVD movies

It's basically 1.5x the CPU + GPU with a sizable increase in RAM, as I believe the GameCube 16MB A-Memory was basically worthless for anything other than audio/data streaming. So you go from 24MB 1T-SRAM to 88MB 1T-SRAM.

watership

lockii said:
It's close to the Xbox in terms of Mhz, but very different in terms of performance, considering it's based on PowerPC architecture, and not x86.

Exactly right. The Wii's top level performance should easily outclass the Xbox. The Mhz thing would just confuse the public and media outlets. I read in my local newspaper today that said the PS3 had 7 super computer processors and the 360 ONLY had one. Ugh, humans.

Speevy

Banned
Well, considering day-one results for the Xbox and Gamecube, I'd like to think people would be more modest about its potential, but okay. Developers suck.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
watership said:
Exactly right. The Wii's top level performance should easily outclass the Xbox. The Mhz thing would just confuse the public and media outlets. I read in my local newspaper today that said the PS3 had 7 super computer processors and the 360 ONLY had one. Ugh, humans.
Yeah, except it cant do riddick.

Owned. 8.8.

NotWii

Banned
"I suppose I could give you a list of the technical specs. I believe you would like that, but I won't for a simple reason: they really don't matter."

DSN2K

really disappointed Nintendo couldn't have got a better GPU in there, I know they were going cheap with this but still.

jax (old)

Banned
OverHeat said:
the cpu is made in canada cool!

imagine. If they'd made it in china, it would have cost 1/3 the money and we could have had a more robust console... :)

:(

I wish Wii had better specs.

Tchu-Espresso

DSN2K said:
really disappointed Nintendo couldn't have got a better GPU in there, I know they were going cheap with this but still.
The strange thing is that they supposedly had a similar budget on their gpu with ati as microsoft had for the 360.

watership

Meh. Too much focusing on the controller rather than the graphics for the launch I guess... The device can theoretically produce great visuals. We'll just have to wait for it. But god, Red Steel is very ugly. Gamespot's image collection has images from november, and then older images from oct. There is a huge visual quality degradation from oct, to nov. Someone in the "Ask Gamespot" forum posted asking what the hell happened.

The response from Alex Navaro:
"The October 12th shots were provided by Ubisoft. The newest shots were taken in 480p via our own screen capturing system. That's what the game looks like."

And to Quote Luke Smith (because he loves that), "It looks assy."

The Wii (and technically the GC) has the TEV, which basically does all the shader effects. The TEV is a bitch to do shader stuff with though.

Tchu-Espresso

Mr. Pointy said:
The Wii (and technically the GC) has the TEV, which basically does all the shader effects. The TEV is a bitch to do shader stuff with though.
So it makes perfect sense to not change change it at all over the 5 yrs.

Source? Just wondering.
Not sure, but im sure somone will provide a link.

Shompola

Banned
Fio Maravilha said:
The lack of shader support hurts the Wii. But in raw power, is a way better than Xbox.

What raw power? "Only" thing I can see it being better is the memory bandwidth. If it still has a gimped G3(with a custom SIMD I guess) derivate then it is definitely not way better than Xbox... even in raw power.

Stitchy

dovella said:

It's odd that the guy complains about changing the aspect ratio, but doesn't notice his motion-sensing lights constantly turning off and on.

Hey, I'm critical when it comes to consistency, but I'd probably put a bullet through my head because of the lights dimming and becoming brighter constantly rather than changing the resolution input of my TV for the VC games.

lexi

Banned
Shompola said:
What raw power? "Only" thing I can see it being better is the memory bandwidth. If it still has a gimped G3(with a custom SIMD I guess) derivate then it is definitely not way better than Xbox... even in raw power.

I could connect The Beatles more to G3 then you've just associated it with the Wii CPU. It is much more capable then the Xbox, I can't believe you're even arguing that.

Mmmkay

Stitchy said:
It's odd that the guy complains about changing the aspect ratio, but doesn't notice his motion-sensing lights constatntly turning off and on.

The IR lights aren't visible to the human eye.

Fio

Shompola said:

Considering this specs on topic true.

Wii CPU > Xbox CPU
Wii GPU > Xbox GPU
Wii Memory > Xbox Memory

It's undeniable that Wii > Xbox.

But, if your point is "omg! Wii SUX0X, TEH SHIT GRAPHIX" based on shit screenshoots released so far, i lament.

Pachinko

Just remember though gentlemen, the wii isn't meant to be a 5 year system. In 3 years we'll get Wii 2 and it will have 720p support , full backwards compatibility and the general visual capability equal to that of a low end 360 game instead of the current capability which is equal to roughly a middle tier xbox title.

Also within 18 months there'll be some sort of new wii, smaller, including component cables , perhaps something as simple as colored wii's.

I guess all I'm getting at is that the specs don't really matter. The wii was designed for profit first and using lower end hardware achieves that the easiest.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Stitchy said:
It's odd that the guy complains about changing the aspect ratio, but doesn't notice his motion-sensing lights constantly turning off and on.

Hey, I'm critical when it comes to consistency, but I'd probably put a bullet through my head because of the lights dimming and becoming brighter constantly rather than changing the resolution input of my TV for the VC games.
:lol

Shompola

Banned
lockii said:
I could connect The Beatles more to G3 then you've just associated it with the Wii CPU. It is much more capable then the Xbox, I can't believe you're even arguing that.

If it is true that the Wii CPU is just an extension of the GC CPU, then it really isnt much more than a G3 with an SIMD like feature. And we know how good the G3 class CPU was compared to a Pentium III classs CPU. More or less equal in most types of applications. So unless the broadway is a new G4 derivate of some sort, I will stand by my opinion that the Wii is a best marginally more powerful than the Xbox. Much more capable than Xbox would be something like a G4 class CPU + 9700 class GPU... Something we have yet to see here.

Top Bottom