• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the Wii............aka the void ( wii disassembled)

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
http://popsci.typepad.com/popsci/2006/11/wii_broke_it.html

wiitopsy_ss_9.jpg

wiitopsy_ss_13.jpg

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
again, the processor is ****ing small!
Wii said:
Doesn't look like they've disassembled the remote though
This was done a long time ago

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Stabby McSter said:
...that's it?

I was expecting to see it technologically-dense in there. It's like empty. :(
go see the rest of the pics in the website

DrGAKMAN

Banned
The "rumor" of these being mass-produced in much larger numbers than Nintendo's letting on about doesn't seem so bold now.

There's room on the board too (like I always thought)...we'll see a WiiHD soon enough!

Remove some clutter, GCN B/C & the disc drive and add in a large flash drive and you've got yourself a powerful lil' miniWii. Add a touchscreen and you've got Nintendo's next console/portable hybrid. Nintendo's got the next ten PROFITABLE years planned out already!

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Wow, that is compact. Whoever does nintendo hardware designs is a smart cookie. Sure it's no powerhouse, but I like the non-cluttered board layout and easy passive cooling.

wsippel

Banned
emomoonbase said:
Wow, that is compact. Whoever does nintendo hardware designs is a smart cookie. Sure it's no powerhouse, but I like the non-cluttered board layout and easy passive cooling.
No passive cooling. There is a fan to cool the CPU/ GPU combo.

mrkgoo

So did this get smaller as Iwata predicted from the first unveiling?

Also, you people have to realise there's a drive in there too - question is - how does it load GODs?

Looking at it, I'm surprised by the largish silicon on the DVD drive, but I haven't taken a drive apart in so long, that that might just be normal. Also, for those who are thinking handheld, IBM leaked to IGN a while back that they were developing a version of the broadway for handheld use. I'm guessing that it's just a matter of how much clockspeed they need to drop to get 6 hours out of a battery developed in 2009 or 2010. As for gamecube compatibility goes for something like this, you need to remember, that gamecube compatibility for the Wii is basically free. The Wii silicon is instruction compatible with the gamecube silicon.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
mrkgoo said:
So did this get smaller as Iwata predicted from the first unveiling?

Also, you people have to realise there's a drive in there too - question is - how does it load GODs?

It's essentially what Iwata promiced, a lil' longer (long ways) than 3 DVD's stacked, but not thicker.

Yeah, when it was first cracked open I noticed right away that it is a slim drive, but not as slim as off-the-shelf slim DVD-ROM drives. I theorized in the other thread that it's probably 'cos Nintendo made these drives themselves.

As far as it being able to take 12cm & 8cm discs...If you look closely you can see a traction belt near the lip of the intake that probably moves the smaller 8cm discs more towards the center as they're being pulled in whether you load them at the top or bottom of the lip.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
bmf said:
Looking at it, I'm surprised by the largish silicon on the DVD drive, but I haven't taken a drive apart in so long, that that might just be normal. Also, for those who are thinking handheld, IBM leaked to IGN a while back that they were developing a version of the broadway for handheld use. I'm guessing that it's just a matter of how much clockspeed they need to drop to get 6 hours out of a battery developed in 2009 or 2010. As for gamecube compatibility goes for something like this, you need to remember, that gamecube compatibility for the Wii is basically free. The Wii silicon is instruction compatible with the gamecube silicon.

Me too...as I pointed out in the other thread. Again, similar off-the-shelf slim drives don't look that big/cluttery. This suggests, to me, that Nintendo more made these drives themselves as oppossed to using an off-the-shelf slim drive.

Portable Wii is definatly a probability. Small, low power consuming, etc. As I said in a previous post, remove some clutter, replace the disc drive with a small flash drive and you've got a pretty nice portable. Also, I said in the same post that they merely need to add a bunch more memory, make some kind of upscaling graphics output and they can make a "WiiHD" no problem.

As far as i was aware, Wii is the only hardware with a slim drive that can accept mini-discs, so it would have to be custom - accounting for the size.

Terrell

Uhhh... am I going blind? I don't see where the RAM is. Weren't a whole bunch of people trumpetting some form of DDR RAM in this thing? Cuz I don't see it.

DrGAKMAN said:
Me too...as I pointed out in the other thread. Again, similar off-the-shelf slim drives don't look that big/cluttery. This suggests, to me, that Nintendo more made these drives themselves as oppossed to using an off-the-shelf slim drive.

Portable Wii is definatly a probability. Small, low power consuming, etc. As I said in a previous post, remove some clutter, replace the disc drive with a small flash drive and you've got a pretty nice portable. Also, I said in the same post that they merely need to add a bunch more memory, make some kind of upscaling graphics output and they can make a "WiiHD" no problem.

I'm kinda iffy on the WiiHD thing, at least in the next 5 years. I think it's more likely that they'll just work on a version of the components that work at a higher clock speed and add more ram for 2011. If they can keep the wiimote and nunchuck the same, it will help keep things going for another generation. Of course this assumes that they're successful in disrupting the market.

I also think (aside from Steve Jobs' massive ego) that Apple would be hard pressed not to work with Nintendo on their iTV thing. Bump the clock speed, drop the drive, shrink the flash, shrink the ram, and add ethernet and they are they are down to a $100 manufacturing cost. They could probably even downgrade hollywood in the process as all they're really needing to do is frame-buffer stuff.

Eek. Geek out in process.

Linkup

Ram is probably the chip with MX written on it. The WiFi antenna is located in the upper back for some reason.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yeesh...they weren't kidding about making it small :/ I've seen it in person...but...thats a few less pikmin than I thought.

The Gamecube hardware looked pretty simple too, if you compared it to say... an XBox. Nintendo is good at efficient architectures.

Top Bottom