• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO: for best IQ (Native 4k + HDR + 60 HZ + 4:4:4) 2160p-YUV420 or 2160p-RGB?

Jatrid

Neo Member
I have 65KS8000 Black Level @ Normal with PS4 Pro @ Full RGB everything else automatic.

Without HDR

3840 x 2160 - 60 Hz
RGB
2K/4K Supported
DHCP 2.2

With HDR

3840 x 2160 60 Hz
YUV422
2K/4K Supported
HDCP 2.2

Slaythe

Because YUV has nothing to do with RGB Full or limited. Only the RGB colour space is affected by it.

If you're running in the YUV colour format your TV should be in RGB limited mode.

WHAT ?

But... Doesn't that look like utter shit then ?

Because RGB limited looks like vomit ...

f@luS

More than a member.
WHAT ?

It looks the same if the tv is set accordingly.

Since it switch to yuv/Rgb depending of hdr I'll set my ps4pro to limited now ... as my tv

Slaythe

Wonder if downsampled 1080p full RGB + HDR 10 bit is gonna look better than whatever yuv and limited RGB are producing ...

I kinda am not tempted at all to ever set my stuff back to limited RGB :/ .

Manuxs

Neo Member
I am confirm that setting to yuv420 is the correct choice to get rid of the banding / gradient issues.
No more banding.
For hdr games, it stays in yuv420 (not yuv422). It also stays in yuv420 for sdr games (it doesn't switch to rgb), but I haven't seen any differences.
So it is ok with me :)

In this setting , the rgb limites of full has no impact on the picture quality.

Manuxs

Neo Member
Does on my Samsung JS9000 - which causes the banding, so unsure if its the TV or the PS4 Pro forcing 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0 for HDR

Btw I also have a Samsung js9000 and have the same banding issue with yuv422. Setting to yuv420 cures it. I haven't see any loss in picture quality compared to yuv422 or rgb.

Caayn

Wonder if downsampled 1080p full RGB + HDR 10 bit is gonna look better than whatever yuv and limited RGB are producing ...

I kinda am not tempted at all to ever set my stuff back to limited RGB :/ .
I'd be surprised if you could spot a difference in a normal situation between RGB full and RGB limited when using correct settings. Downscaling to 1080p and then upscaling to 2160p will hurt the image a lot more.

Don't use settings solely because they sound better.

SonComet

Anyone else have a Samsung 65HU9000 or similar model? The TV disables game mode when receiving a 4K signal. It also grays out the option for RGB in 4K. Is there a setting I have to change to enable game mode or RGB mode? Maybe it's just an issue with having an older 4K set.

JohngPR

Hopefully its something Samsung can fix - happening on most Samsung models. I have last year's JS9000 and don't get this anywhere else on anything other than PS4 Pro

Just an opinion but I think it's because the Pro is forcing Deep Color to On in order to use HDR. It has to be, considering it's the only option that you can't change along the chain.

Where are you seeing it? Is it in all of the content you've looked at so far?

The one place where I've seen it where it's super obvious is in inFamous. If you look at the sun and move the camera around you can see it.

Anyone else have a Samsung 65HU9000 or similar model? The TV disables game mode when receiving a 4K signal. It also grays out the option for RGB in 4K. Is there a setting I have to change to enable game mode or RGB mode? Maybe it's just an issue with having an older 4K set.

I have a HU8550 with an evo kit which I think is the non-curved model of your TV. I can check it out for you and see what happens on my set.

EDIT: My set changed into Game Mode, Son Comet. What settings do you have? Maybe I can spot a difference that is causing it.

jonno394

Make sure the HDMI connection is classified as "game console" or "Blu-ray player" on the TV, rather than PC. PC will mean you cannot use game mode. If it already is one of these then I'm not too sure what's happening :/

f@luS

More than a member.
I had no problems with reg PS4 but switching hdr on/off in games and PS4 pro se to it automatic make sometimes my tv screen blank as it goes fro yuv 422 to rgb. My lg oled doesn't like these switch

Jaybad54

Neo Member

SonComet

Just an opinion but I think it's because the Pro is forcing Deep Color to On in order to use HDR. It has to be, considering it's the only option that you can't change along the chain.

The one place where I've seen it where it's super obvious is in inFamous. If you look at the sun and move the camera around you can see it.

I have a HU8550 with an evo kit which I think is the non-curved model of your TV. I can check it out for you and see what happens on my set.

EDIT: My set changed into Game Mode, Son Comet. What settings do you have? Maybe I can spot a difference that is causing it.
Interesting. I wonder if the EVO kit would help. My TV is professionally calibrated in movie, game mode (standard in that setting, and for 3D. If I reduce the resolution to 1080p game mode engages. 4K and it disengages. I have the PS4 plugged into my receiver which supports HDMI 2.0a and then into my TVs 4th HDMI port. No extra picture processing is turned on. The color settings are custom. I'll play around with it some more.

When I click on information for the port it just says "UHD Videos". It's not renamed to PC or anything.

Make sure the HDMI connection is classified as "game console" or "Blu-ray player" on the TV, rather than PC. PC will mean you cannot use game mode. If it already is one of these then I'm not too sure what's happening :/

I'm not sure how to classify the HDMI port as a games console. They are just the way they came on the TV. The only setting that did anything was UHD color allowed RGB 4:4:4 (not on HDMI 4), but still no game mode. Sigh. Maybe I'll look up the cost on an evo kit.

JohngPR

I had no problems with reg PS4 but switching hdr on/off in games and PS4 pro se to it automatic make sometimes my tv screen blank as it goes fro yuv 422 to rgb. My lg oled doesn't like these switch

Are you doing the HDMI coupler work around that you posted about last week? If so, that might be the culprit. I'm having problems with the screen going black when I switch to my PS4 when I'm using it and have to switch to a different HDMI input and back to get the screen to come back.

JohngPR

Interesting. I wonder if the EVO kit would help. My TV is professionally calibrated in movie, game mode (standard in that setting, and for 3D. If I reduce the resolution to 1080p game mode engages. 4K and it disengages. I have the PS4 plugged into my receiver which supports HDMI 2.0a and then into my TVs 4th HDMI port. No extra picture processing is turned on. The color settings are custom. I'll play around with it some more.

When I click on information for the port it just says "UHD Videos". It's not renamed to PC or anything.

I'm not sure how to classify the HDMI port as a games console. They are just the way they came on the TV. The only setting that did anything was UHD color allowed RGB 4:4:4 (not on HDMI 4), but still no game mode. Sigh. Maybe I'll look up the cost on an evo kit.

I would try plugging the Pro directly to your TV just to see if it disengages Game Mode in 4k like it does through the receiver. That way, you can at least rule out that the AV receiver is causing it.

I 100% recommend the EVO Kit (SEK-3500). Not only has it given me a better picture, but also gave my TV HDR.

f@luS

More than a member.
Are you doing the HDMI coupler work around that you posted about last week? If so, that might be the culprit. I'm having problems with the screen going black when I switch to my PS4 when I'm using it and have to switch to a different HDMI input and back to get the screen to come back.
Oh yeah maybe. But overall it works great. No issue with 4K hdr

JohngPR

Oh yeah maybe. But overall it works great. No issue with 4K hdr

Yea, the picture quality with the coupler is 1:1 and it's not a perfect fit if you have PSVR and have to go from one to the other but a good workaround. It's probably introducing some handshake problems that wouldn't normally be there though.

f@luS

More than a member.
Yea, the picture quality with the coupler is 1:1 and it's not a perfect fit if you have PSVR and have to go from one to the other but a good workaround. It's probably introducing some handshake problems that wouldn't normally be there though.
Just tried without coupler straight in tv. Same issue. Going hdr on/off often ingame makes my tv goes black screen on that hdmi input (not the whole tv or other input. Sounds is still on )

Does anyone here have the xbr65x950b tv and know if it supports RGB? That option is greyed out for me and it says my tv doesn't support it. Is there a setting i need to change?

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
WHAT ?

If RGB limited looks bad, than your TV is set to Full range. You have to use the same settings on your console AND your TV.

JohngPR

Just tried without coupler straight in tv. Same issue. Going hdr on/off often ingame makes my tv goes black screen on that hdmi input (not the whole tv or other input. Sounds is still on )

Did you restart the PS4 after plugging it directly into the TV? I'd do that in order to rule out the coupler completely if you didn't.

Also have you used the PSVR on the PS4 Pro yet? I was having a few handshake issues in general going from PSVR breakout box to directly plugging it into my PS4 until I used my PSVR and set it up on the Pro.

SonComet

I would try plugging the Pro directly to your TV just to see if it disengages Game Mode in 4k like it does through the receiver. That way, you can at least rule out that the AV receiver is causing it.

I 100% recommend the EVO Kit (SEK-3500). Not only has it given me a better picture, but also gave my TV HDR.
Thanks for the help with this. I tried bypassing the receiver (Denon AVR-X4200) but no luck. I ordered the EVO kit. It'll be here later today :).

JohngPR

Thanks for the help with this. I tried bypassing the receiver (Denon AVR-X4200) but no luck. I ordered the EVO kit. It'll be here later today :).

Nice. Just make sure to meticulously follow the directions, there's a video out there that shows you how to do it. I'd also jot down all my settings beforehand just in case.

Not sure if that will help your game mode issue, but the bump in visual IQ and HDR is good stuff.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whelp.

Turns out my TV doesn't support RGB at 2160p. The highest I can do is 4k 60hz on YUV 4.2.2. My TV doesn't do HDR either. It's a mid-class Samsung 56'' display.

Ah well .. I guess what I can't see won't hurt me. Still super happy that I'm able to run things in higher than 1080p resolution.

Shadow of Mordor compared in the locked 1080p mode with the dynamic 4K is an eye opener, the 4K mode looks so much cleaner.

Elaniel

Neo Member
I may be being super dumb here (as I'm familiar with all the settings / video types) but I've hooked my PS4 pro up, but had a question.

On Automatic it shows up as RGB 4K 59Hz RGB 24 bit

However, when I select the following it shows this:
Select RGB it shows 4K 59Hz RGB 24 bit
Select YUV 420 it shows 4K 59 Hz YCbCr420 30 bit

If I change it back to automatic and go into a game and choose to turn on HDR it shows:
4K 59 Hz YCbCr422 24 bit.

Is this working as intended? I thought it should be 30 bit?

Not sure if it matters, but I have the HDMI enhanced, and my 4k UHD Samsung Blu-Ray player shows 30 bit.

These settings are shown through on my Onkyo 646

Can anyone recommend a 4K Avr that works with their pro (and xbs) with LG Oled?
This is such a broad question that can be answered tons of different ways. It'd be better if you told us what your surround sound needs are, wattage you want, HDMI inputs, price range, and so on and so forth first.

Gitaroo

Hmm. I see. It seems Chroma 4:4:4 solves this but we will lose HDR10 advantage.
Chroma 4:4:4: with HDR10 TVs next year can't come any closer.

Only 4:4:4@30p can have 10bit color, even then that won't happen on any of the consoles, they will output 4:2:2@60p hdr 10bit.

Slaythe

Hmm. I see. It seems Chroma 4:4:4 solves this but we will lose HDR10 advantage.
Chroma 4:4:4: with HDR10 TVs next year can't come any closer.

Would the Pro be compatible with such TVs though ? Or is it a still born console ?

Because honestly it's a big deal for me. If I'm investing in such pricy tv for better colors, it's not to lose full rgb. :/

Not on my TV. I had it on Full and everything was fucking grey. Turned both to limited and got the dark blacks.

I have a non HDR Sony.

It should not be grey in Full. Full gives you a wider range of colors and blacks. Probably some bad settings on your tv.

VertPin

Will keeping the setting to automatic switch to YUV420 for HDR games and RGB for non HDR games? If that is so, then automatic would be the best mode to enable.

VertPin

If your TV can do HDR, then why use YUV 420?

If my TV does YUV420 I will use that mode, obviously. However, when enabling that you deal with chroma subsampling, whereas in RGB mode you get to keep 4:4:4 pixels at the loss of HDR. So, if possible, I'd like to use automatic mode if it can detect HDR content and switch between the two display modes.

Kyoufu

If my TV does YUV420 I will use that mode, obviously. However, when enabling that you deal with chroma subsampling, whereas in RGB mode you get to keep 4:4:4 pixels at the loss of HDR. So, if possible, I'd like to use automatic mode if it can detect HDR content and switch between the two display modes.

I'm sorry, I'm lost.

You'll get YUV 422 when using 2160p RGB with HDR enabled, so I don't know why you'd want to use YUV 420.

VertPin

I'm sorry, I'm lost.

You'll get YUV 422 when using 2160p RGB with HDR enabled, so I don't know why you'd want to use YUV 420.
Perhaps I am the lost one here, I thought that RGB mode couldn't do HDR? I need someone to teach me regarding this now lmao.

I'm even more convinced that the Deep Colour setting is the cause of banding with HDR on Samsung TV's as there has been an issue with Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Blu Ray players doing the same thing - turning off Deep Colour (Which isn't needed for HDR or 4K Blu Rays as its 12-bit) fixes the banding issue on the Panasonic DMP-UB900.

Whelp.

Turns out my TV doesn't support RGB at 2160p. The highest I can do is 4k 60hz on YUV 4.2.2. My TV doesn't do HDR either. It's a mid-class Samsung 56'' display.

Ah well .. I guess what I can't see won't hurt me. Still super happy that I'm able to run things in higher than 1080p resolution.

Shadow of Mordor compared in the locked 1080p mode with the dynamic 4K is an eye opener, the 4K mode looks so much cleaner.

I'm in the same boat, a Vizio model. Still looks great!

rubes7844

Banned
Would the Pro be compatible with such TVs though ? Or is it a still born console ?

Because honestly it's a big deal for me. If I'm investing in such pricy tv for better colors, it's not to lose full rgb. :/

It should not be grey in Full. Full gives you a wider range of colors and blacks. Probably some bad settings on your tv.

RGB is blacked out on my pro

Manuxs

Neo Member
I'm even more convinced that the Deep Colour setting is the cause of banding with HDR on Samsung TV's as there has been an issue with Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Blu Ray players doing the same thing - turning off Deep Colour (Which isn't needed for HDR or 4K Blu Rays as its 12-bit) fixes the banding issue on the Panasonic DMP-UB900.

I can confirm all that. And I have a Panasonic ub900.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fuck me, this is confusing. What setting do I use on 2016 lg oled?

Don't over think it, it's quite simple.

If you're not into HDR and if your TV supports it, choose 2160 RGB.

If you're into HDR, you can still keep it on RGB, for games which support HDR the PS4 will automatically go to YUV, for games which do not, it will stay on RGB.

Top Bottom