• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR Game Mode for LG OLED TVs

You've probably seen me post this in other threads but wanted to give it some direct attention on neogaf, the biggest gaming forum. We need everyone's voice to have LG address the HDR input lag on OLEDs. I have discussed with Rtings who has added this petition to their E6 and B6 reviews. Forbes may also be running an article on this very topic soon as I spoke to John Archer. I also have emails into CNet (David K) among others.

"With millions of PS4 consoles now having HDR support for videogames, along with millions of Xbox One S and PS4 Pro consoles being sold this holiday season, the owners of LG OLED TVs are requesting LG address gaming support by adding an HDR + Game Mode picture setting to the 2016 lineup through a firmware upgrade. Loyal OLED owners, who have spent thousands of dollars on their top-of-the-line TVs, request that LG address this issue as other competitors, such as Samsung and Sony, have already addressed this with firmware updates for their TVs. For even the casual gamer, input lag in regular HDR mode is very high in the 60-70ms range. We are requesting LG to address this issue, which will allow gamers of all types to experience lower input lag while playing HDR videogames."

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-hdr-game-mode-for-lg-oled-tvs

NoFoX

I'd have a LG 55EC930V without HDR.
So i hope LG will bring a firmware update for this series!
Of course i'd support this petition!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I see you guitarguy316, puttin in work to get this supported. I signed and support this 100% of course. LG, just implement this already.

julrik

If it is in fact possible for them to fix with a simple firmware update (which is highly likely), and they're just holding off to make it a feature next year, it's a disgrace. I'd be pissed off if I already bought a 2016 model.

I'm buying a KS8000 or waiting until next year, UNLESS they add HDR to Game Mode soon, without significantly increased input lag.

Wouldn't hold my breath, mate. If it happens, it will be for 2016 models only.

Evo X

Signed!

As far as I can tell this is the only major flaw with these TVs. The picture quality is unparalleled otherwise. It would be amazing if they offered this update.

NoFoX

If it is in fact possible for them to fix with a simple firmware update (which is highly likely), and they're just holding off to make it a feature next year, it's a disgrace. I'd be pissed off if I already bought a 2016 model.

I'm buying a KS8000 or waiting until next year, UNLESS they add HDR to Game Mode soon, without significantly increased input lag.

Wouldn't hold my breath, mate. If it happens, it will be for 2016 models only.

They update the EG9600/EG960:
Current LG OLED TVs To Get High Dynamic Range (HDR) Upgrade [UPDATE 2]

Signed!

As far as I can tell this is the only major flaw with these TVs. The picture quality is unparalleled otherwise. It would be amazing if they offered this update.

I agree. The lag is the only major issue....at least for me.

f@luS

More than a member.
signed but no lag issue with my C6 on ps4 or xb1 with hdr game, with all processing effect off

Phreaker

Signed, I have the E6. I LOVE the TV, just hope they can reduce HDR input lag by adding it to GAME mode. (Still with TruMotion off, it's not too bad)

watership

Game mode achieves low latency by bypassing processing on that pport. HDR10 is software processing so i'm not sure that can be fixed in software or an update. It might be just waiting a new TV.

Welcome to new standards and all the chaos that entails!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That TV already has 34ms input lag in the input that you label PC, combined with the game mode. so it's not too bad - at least it's far better than their 4K models.

LG OLEDB6P could use a game mode....

1080p @ 60Hz 44.4ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 61.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ HDR 58.0ms - 71.0ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR 54.9ms - 70.7ms
4k @ 60Hz 43.2ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 59.8ms
4k @ 60Hz @ HDR 38.2ms - 54.5ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 @ HDR 38.8ms - 54.7ms

paskowitz

Already signed thanks to your earlier posts. Only thing that is making me hold off on an E6. If I am dropping that kind of money, I don't want any compromises. If need be, I'll wait for an updated model.

NoFoX

That TV already has 34ms input lag in the input that you label PC, combined with the game mode. so it's not too bad - at least it's far better than their 4K models.

Yea, but the 55EC930V doesn't support HDR at the moment and is 1080p only.
Let's see if they will update the model, i do hope (but don't think) so!

Caayn

I can enable game mode with HDR content running on my LG 55EG920v ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not that it matters much as simply disabling trumotion on 2015 models brings the input lag down to game mode levels. Isn't there a similar trick on the 2016 models?

E6 owner and signed as well.
I have until January to return it in case LG doesn't do anything while all other manufacturers (Samsung already a few weeks ago and just yesterday Sony) have released a HDR game mode.
Keep up the good work, guitarguy316.

I can enable game mode with HDR content running on my LG 55EG920v ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not that it matters much as simply disabling trumotion on 2015 models brings the input lag down to game mode levels. Isn't there a similar trick on the 2016 models?

I would like to know this as well.

C6 owner and signed. Let's not stop badgering LG until they give us what we deserve.

Even with TruMotion disabled it's 67ms.

67ms is what mode? Here are the numbers from the latest firmware update. You must mean the ones bolded below.

1080p @ 60Hz 44.4ms

4k @ 60Hz 43.2ms

pswii60

67ms is what mode? Here are the numbers from the latest firmware update. You must mean the ones bolded below.

1080p @ 60Hz 44.4ms

4k @ 60Hz 43.2ms
Those are the B6 numbers, I said I had a C6. I will not mean what you think I must mean.

Well I think we've got some momentum if I can get some major sites on board for putting out articles like cnet and Forbes.

I have no clue in Europe or other regions so if you're in those areas, please feel free to get the word out to your local tv and gaming enthusiast sites.

Xenoblade

E6 owner and signed as well.
I have until January to return it in case LG doesn't do anything while all other manufacturers (Samsung already a few weeks ago and just yesterday Sony) have released a HDR game mode.
Keep up the good work, guitarguy316.

Can you please tell me which country you live in and briefly explain how the return policy works in that country?

ryohumar

So, I'm confused. I own a B6 and I have my Xbox One S setup in game mode on HDMI 1. Are you saying that even with HDR enabled on that port that my games aren't playing in HDR, or just that there's an unacceptable amount of input lag?

You've probably seen me post this in other threads but wanted to give it some direct attention on neogaf, the biggest gaming forum. We need everyone's voice to have LG address the HDR input lag on OLEDs. I have discussed with Rtings who has added this petition to their E6 and B6 reviews. Forbes may also be running an article on this very topic soon as I spoke to John Archer. I also have emails into CNet (David K) among others.

"With millions of PS4 consoles now having HDR support for videogames, along with millions of Xbox One S and PS4 Pro consoles being sold this holiday season, the owners of LG OLED TVs are requesting LG address gaming support by adding an HDR + Game Mode picture setting to the 2016 lineup through a firmware upgrade. Loyal OLED owners, who have spent thousands of dollars on their top-of-the-line TVs, request that LG address this issue as other competitors, such as Samsung and Sony, have already addressed this with firmware updates for their TVs. For even the casual gamer, input lag in regular HDR mode is very high in the 60-70ms range. We are requesting LG to address this issue, which will allow gamers of all types to experience lower input lag while playing HDR videogames."

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electronics-hdr-game-mode-for-lg-oled-tvs

I don't understand. Game mode usually disables post processing which is what HDR is so are you saying they're intentionally slowing it down? I'm just confused on what this is really asking.

pswii60

So, I'm confused. I own a B6 and I have my Xbox One S setup in game mode on HDMI 1. Are you saying that even with HDR enabled on that port that my games aren't playing in HDR, or just that there's an unacceptable amount of input lag?
They play in HDR but the lag is high. Even higher if you have C6/E6/G6.
I don't understand. Game mode usually disables post processing which is what HDR is so are you saying they're intentionally slowing it down? I'm just confused on what this is really asking.
I don't understand what you seem to think HDR is.

Yaari

I'm pretty sure that you also need to put your TV on a HDR mode, which in case of the LG 2016 OLED's, is not in game mode.

So that leaves the only option, the regular HDR modes, which have 70ish input lag.

ryohumar

Thanks! I've only had the TV for a few days and haven't played much on it yet. I'm not bothered by the lag on the B6, but I signed the petition.

ryohumar

I'm pretty sure that you also need to put your TV on a HDR mode, which in case of the LG 2016 OLED's, is not in game mode.

So that leaves the only option, the regular HDR modes, which have 70ish input lag.

On my B6 I had to enabled HDR on the HDMI port for my Xbox One S, but I was still able to set up game mode. When I boot Gears 4 up a little pop up comes up that says it's playing in HDR.

I thought that it took the contrast levels of the same picture that was split and combined them. Which I thought would encompass what postprocessing would be? Game mode normally takes out some of the processing to speed up the latency. Am I totally crazy here?

Can you please tell me which country you live in and briefly explain how the return policy works in that country?
I'm from Germany (see profile) and no questions asked online return period is normally 14 days, but for german amazon orders placed in November/December it's until end of January (longer christmas return period).

LoneWolf780

Neo Member
Signed. I don't have an oled tv but I have an 4k led lg and the lag in hdr is pretty bad, I can't even get the ps4 pro to work on my lg. I'm debating whether to drop my lg tv all together, I'm not impressed with mine.

I still dont get why people want HDR in game mode. Game mode kills the PQ so why should we be concerned with HDR in game mode all of a sudden?

Xenoblade

I'm from Germany (see profile) and no questions asked online return period is normally 14 days, but for german amazon orders placed in November/December it's until end of January (longer christmas return period).

No questions asked returns... *drool*

In Australia we have to fight to the death to get a return *sigh*

BriGuy

Is this something that can even be fixed in software without sacrificing (or greatly diminishing) the HDR quality you bought the television for?

I nearly pulled the trigger on one of these a few days back when that newegg deal was posted, but after a lot of consideration, there were just too many compromises. It looks like a fantastic set for UHD movies and the like, but competent HDR gaming still seems like it's a year or two away.

pswii60

Is this something that can even be fixed in software without sacrificing (or greatly diminishing) the HDR quality you bought the television for?

I nearly pulled the trigger on one of these a few days back when that newegg deal was posted, but after a lot of consideration, there were just too many compromises. It looks like a fantastic set for UHD movies and the like, but competent HDR gaming still seems like it's a year or two away.
Sony and Samsung have both added HDR game modes to their TVs via firmware updates in the last month.

pswii60

I thought that it took the contrast levels of the same picture that was split and combined them. Which I thought would encompass what postprocessing would be? Game mode normally takes out some of the processing to speed up the latency. Am I totally crazy here?
You're thinking of photo HDR like on your phone. TV HDR doesn't work like that.

Well I think we've got some momentum if I can get some major sites on board for putting out articles like cnet and Forbes.

I have no clue in Europe or other regions so if you're in those areas, please feel free to get the word out to your local tv and gaming enthusiast sites.
I'm not trying to illegitimize what you are doing, but all of this is over 60ms of input lag. That's ~3.5 frames in a 60 second refresh, half that in 30. This is well within the tolerance of an enjoyable gaming experience, though maybe at the upper limit. The professional/twitch gamers will scoff at it, of course, but if input lag is at the top of a consumer's priority list, then the LG OLEDs were certainly not made for that consumer, before or after the announcement.

As I said in the Plasma/LCD/OLED thread, the thing that sucks about this matter is the way it was communicated to the consumer. To me, that is the fight you should be waging. Vizio has their CTO directly communicating with consumers, which has created a very positive two-way discussion on their needs. I do hope you LG OLED owners to get a similar champion.

LG has said that the SoC does not allow for it, so what are they going to do to appease this internet petition? I can't understand the other side of this argument, where what if LG is lying, but then we enter moonlanding conspiracy level here. Unless someone from LG says otherwise, we have to go with what they say.

If you want true action, or a voice to be heard, than an internet petition seems like the wrong way to do that. Every LG OLED owner in this thread, and otherwise, should be calling LG Customer Support and reporting this. That is how this message will truly get to the people it needs to.

pswii60

I'm not trying to illegitimize what you are doing, but all of this is over 60ms of input lag. That's ~3.5 frames in a 60 second refresh, half that in 30. This is well within the tolerance of an enjoyable gaming experience, though maybe at the upper limit. The professional/twitch gamers will scoff at it, of course, but if input lag is at the top of a consumer's priority list, then the LG OLEDs were certainly not made for that consumer, before or after the announcement.

As I said in the Plasma/LCD/OLED thread, the thing that sucks about this matter is the way it was communicated to the consumer. To me, that is the fight you should be waging. Vizio has their CTO directly communicating with consumers, which has created a very positive two-way discussion on their needs. I do hope you LG OLED owners to get a similar champion.

LG has said that the SoC does not allow for it, so what are they going to do to appease this internet petition? I can't understand the other side of this argument, where what if LG is lying, but then we enter moonlanding conspiracy level here. Unless someone from LG says otherwise, we have to go with what they say.

If you want true action, or a voice to be heard, than an internet petition seems like the wrong way to do that. Every LG OLED owner in this thread, and otherwise, should be calling LG Customer Support and reporting this. That is how this message will truly get to the people it needs to.
LG has made no such statement about the SoC. Some LG customer support person said it, but then another customer support person has said LG are working on it, and others have said they are looking in to it. So there's still no official confirmation one way or another at the stage. Customer support reps are unreliable.

Problem is until some LG higher up makes a comment about this issue, we don't really know anything. LG's customer service, as any other customer service of a big company, gives you different replies.
I fear that we'll have to wait until CES to get a real answer regarding this topic.

EDIT:

Oops, what pswii60 said, basically.

Top Bottom