• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR Game Mode for LG OLED TVs

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yea, but the 55EC930V doesn't support HDR at the moment and is 1080p only.
Let's see if they will update the model, i do hope (but don't think) so!
I wouldn't hope for that. As far as I know, HDR is only supported on 4K resolutions and EC930 is 1080p.

Problem is until some LG higher up makes a comment about this issue, we don't really know anything. LG's customer service, as any other customer service of a big company, gives you different replies.
I fear that we'll have to wait until CES to get a real answer regarding this topic.

EDIT:

Oops, what pswii60 said, basically.

The real answer will probably be the 2017 models.

Kyoufu

Another response from LG customer support. I guess it doesn't mean much, but whatevs:

LG said:
Thank you for your email regarding HDR and game mode. I’m sorry for the delay in my reply.

I can only apologise for the disappointment, due to the time that HDR takes to process the information this really isn't something that we can rectify at the moment. I have no time frame to give you but it is something that we are aware of and are working on at the moment. I can do nothing to change your mind but I hope to be able to give good news to customers in situations such as yours soon.

Durante

I fully support this.

Then if they start building slightly smaller 4k OLEDs (ideally 40") I can buy one as a monitor :p
I'd really need a sub-30ms input delay at the very least.

Kyoufu

I fully support this.

Then if they start building slightly smaller 4k OLEDs (ideally 40") I can buy one as a monitor :p

I doubt you'll see any 40" OLEDs. The smaller TV range is owned by the budget TV shoppers who are looking for three digit prices.

However, I think LG are looking into releasing actual OLED monitors at some point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I doubt you'll see any 40" OLEDs. The smaller TV range is owned by the budget TV shoppers who are looking for three digit prices.

However, I think LG are looking into releasing actual OLED monitors at some point.
Would love to see an OLED monitor and 40" is the perfect size for a 4K monitor, I've found.

Dave_6

Would love to see an OLED monitor and 40" is the perfect size for a 4K monitor, I've found.

I went back and watched DF's video about 4K PC gaming and he was playing on a 40" Samsung TV. Any idea how close he was sitting to it?

Sent you a PM a couple days ago about something else (display related).

Z3M0G

Sorry... stupid question...

I have a 1080p OLED LG TV... there is ZERO chance that supports HDR, correct? That's strictly on 4K sets?

This thread title got me far too excited...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The former is not correct.
Sorry, I mean to write "only on 4K TVs". Maybe the standard doesn't mandate that, but I'm not aware of the existence of any 1080p TVs that have HDR support. I do know that 4K TVs that support HDR can display it also in 1080p resolution.

I fully support this.

Dell 30" OLED monitor should be coming soon. I do worry however about the usability of OLED as monitor due to their propensity towards image retention.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/Dells-New-30-4K-120Hz-UP3017Q-OLED-Monitor-Coming-Soon

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I fully support this.

Spoke to a BB Magnolia rep yesterday who told me they had the LG rep at their story last week and he told them that OLED monitors 19" & 27" are most likely hitting retail next year! Not the 40" you're looking for but still, better than nothing. Baby steps...

b0bbyJ03

I got a software update(04.30.60) today. Any idea what this does?

There was a comparability issue with the PS4 Pro. People were getting a black screen with just audio. It had something to do with the HDCP handshake and the only solution was for people to turn off HDCP in the system menu. I wonder if this is the fix for that. Can anyone test and confirm?

There was a comparability issue with the PS4 Pro. People were getting a black screen with just audio. It had something to do with the HDCP handshake and the only solution was for people to turn off HDCP in the system menu. I wonder if this is the fix for that. Can anyone test and confirm?

Will test after work.

Durante

Spoke to a BB Magnolia rep yesterday who told me they had the LG rep at their story last week and he told them that OLED monitors 19" & 27" are most likely hitting retail next year! Not the 40" you're looking for but still, better than nothing. Baby steps...
If the 27" one was 1440p I probably couldn't resist.

I'd really hope for a sub-20ms lag time for a monitor though.

GOOCHY

Signed it. I just got a B6 today and the image quality is awesome. The input lag doesn't bother me all that much but it would be nice to have a Game Mode with HDR for online shooters.

Fraxin

Signed.

Sorry for the bump. I was wondering if it's still worth it to get the E6 (unfortunately couldn't find the B6) model. Found the picture quality to be really great, but I'm worried about the input lag. I tend to play single player games.

airjoca

Signed.

Sorry for the bump. I was wondering if it's still worth it to get the E6 (unfortunately couldn't find the B6) model. Found the picture quality to be really great, but I'm worried about the input lag. I tend to play single player games.

It's a non issue for me. Tried Uncharted, Infamous and Ratchet and Clank so far.

Fraxin

Yes. It can only be an issue in serious competitive multiplayer games, and even then I'm sure it's fine for a casual player.

Thanks for answering my questions, I was worried since the E6 has an input lag of 67.5, higher than usual. Ordered the E6, OLED is the true successor to Plasma.

pswii60

Thanks for answering my questions, I was worried since the E6 has an input lag of 67.5, higher than usual. Ordered the E6, OLED is the true successor to Plasma.

You'll be pleased with your purchase.

Don't forget that each game has its own HDR toggle anyway, so if lag is of utmost importance for a particular game, you can just disable HDR and enjoy 34ms lag.

There's still confusion as to whether there will be a HDR Game Mode update - LG UK is saying no, LG US is saying yes.

To be honest, you'll be blown away by games in SDR on this TV - IMHO they look far better than games in HDR on LCD. No HDR required for them to look absolutely stunning with a breathtaking contrast ratio and perfect blacks.

I've got the C6 and I wouldn't swap for LCD if you paid me. It's just a stunning TV in every way. TV and movies also look stunning - and make sure you try out the 3D which is the best in class by a long way.

Kyoufu

I've got the C6 and I wouldn't swap for LCD if you paid me. It's just a stunning TV in every way. TV and movies also look stunning - and make sure you try out the 3D which is the best in class by a long way.

I agree with this. 2016 OLED's SDR performance is unmatched and outperforms most HDR LCD HDR sets out there, especially the lower end ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's pretty good news. How much is the lag on the B6/C6/E6 series?

Depends on the resolution/mode you're in, and varies between models. B6 isn't too bad in 4K/HDR at 34-58ms (ish) but it is variable which isn't good.

julrik

Hopefully they'll fix B6 as well, and not just C6, E6 and G6, and get rid of the fluctuating input lag.

I'm going to buy a B6 on Thursday. Two months return option, so we'll see.

Talax

Depends on the resolution/mode you're in, and varies between models. B6 isn't too bad in 4K/HDR at 34-58ms (ish) but it is variable which isn't good.

if they can get it to stay in the 30s without fluctuation then I might have to shift my preference from samsung to LG OLED. IMO 30 is bearable except for stuff like street fighter etc.

That's pretty good news. How much is the lag on the B6/C6/E6 series?

Check out the chart HERE.

I'm currently debating on whether I want to jump on the 55" C6 this week while it's $1799 or wait yet another year to see what the 2017 models are going to do. This statement by LG only makes the decision harder because it's devoid of details. I'm still gaming on a 10 year old rear-projection set. I've got the PS4 Pro and the XB1s but I'm missing the display to take full advantage of them. I've learned over the years that waiting for next year is not necessarily a safe decision, as new models can sometimes suffer from issues the old ones didn't have, or cut features (like 3D) that I'd enjoy having.

Is that variability only in HDR mode or does it also exist in the 1080p/60 mode?

Gitaroo

Need one for sony bravia too, current x850c/d, x930c/d and possibly more are trash for games consider they even shamelessly claim they design their tv for gaming. 60ms is unacceptable for games.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
That's good news, glad they're taking notice - looking to get the B6, especially if they offer anything interesting during black friday.

Not to be pessimistic but I think the chances of them fixing this are close to zero.

Spending thousands of dollars doesn't entitle you to a brilliant gaming TV. Since LCD became mainstream, there are plenty of brilliant TV's that are laggy, and cheap terrible TV's that are not.

The Sony's and Samsung's mentioned had bad input lag with HDR (over 100ms if i remember), that became slightly less terrible. (60-70ms?)

Seems pretty fundamental combination of processing hardware, firmware, panel, processing hardware, and not something that is merely differences in firmware / software optimization.

Very little hope of getting a HDR gaming TV with minimal input lag without either doing a lot of research to find the unicorn, or waiting a few years for hardware to get better.

Peltz

As soon as we get HDR mode on an OLED tv that is under 25ms of input lag, I'll jump on a 4K set.

I do think this should be possible for a (fairly) reasonable price. I am not interested in buying another LED-based television ever again.

Hx93

I'm the 2500th supporter..... wow

edit: it said "one more supporter and we'll reach 2500", now it's 5000 ._. I felt special for 10 secs..

pswii60

Not to be pessimistic but I think the chances of them fixing this are close to zero.

Spending thousands of dollars doesn't entitle you to a brilliant gaming TV. Since LCD became mainstream, there are plenty of brilliant TV's that are laggy, and cheap terrible TV's that are not.

The Sony's and Samsung's mentioned had bad input lag with HDR (over 100ms if i remember), that became slightly less terrible. (60-70ms?)

Seems pretty fundamental combination of processing hardware, firmware, panel, processing hardware, and not something that is merely differences in firmware / software optimization.

Very little hope of getting a HDR gaming TV with minimal input lag without either doing a lot of research to find the unicorn, or waiting a few years for hardware to get better.
Erm? But they are fixing it?

Top Bottom