• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Lead Programmer: 4K Gaming On Xbox Scorpio Is A “Waste of Resources”

Using the 6TFLOPS of computing power within the Xbox Scorpio for 4k gaming is a waste of resources says DOOM’s lead renderer programmer. The available power should better be used for higher fidelity 1080p gaming.

Upon the announcement of “Project Scorpio”, Microsoft promised true native 4K gaming without compromises. With 6 teraflops of computing power and 320gb/s of memory bandwidth, Xbox head Phil Spencer said the Scorpio will be the most powerful console ever created. Microsoft’s focus is true 4K gaming, but developers will have a choice on how they will use the power within the Scorpio.

“I think people get confused and say our messaging is weird. Not every developer is going to use it that way. Not every developer is going to decide to take that 6TFLOPs and do 4K/60fps with it. They might decide for their game, their engine that they want to do something different and that’s fine. But our goal is to build a box that delivers true 4K games at the same level of fidelity that you see on your current Xbox One games. That is the box we are building. We know we can do it.”, Microsoft’s senior director of product management, Albert Penello, told The Inner Circle recently.

Although capable of rendering in native 4K, the Scorpio remains a console at first, and according to id Software’s lead renderer programmer, Tiago Sousa, using those 6 teraflops to achieve 4K is a waste. The computing power should better be used for higher fidelity gaming in 1080P, even more so considering the larger distance between consoles and tvs.

http://wccftech.com/doom-lead-4k-xbox-scorpio-waste/

Bessy67

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a lot of games going the PS4 pro route with a native 4k mode and a 1080p with all the bells and whistles mode.

- J - D -

I agree. The greatest shame of the last two console generations is that we've barely even had a taste of stable 1080p gaming at its best, and all of a sudden we're jumping to 4k.

Eolz

Didn't we have this thread months ago? But yeah, he's right. It's a waste on PS4 Pro as well.

Bsigg12

So use the power to build a better game at 1080p? Microsoft has said on several occasions that devs can use the power how they want and aren't being forced to build a 4K native title.

liquidtmd

Banned
I agree. The greatest shame of the last two console generations is that we've barely even had a taste of stable 1080p gaming at its best, and all of a sudden we're jumping to 4k.

So, so true it's sad

Whilst Pro offers improved 1080p modes, it's a minefield of 'if, buts and maybes' depending on the game in question and whether it receives the 'right kind of patch'

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a lot of games going the PS4 pro route with a native 4k mode and a 1080p with all the bells and whistles mode.
Do we even have that with the Pro? Most games I've seen just benefit from down-sampling and (maybe) improved frame-rate in 1080p mode?

He's right. I just hope all the 4k hype hasn't already gone to people's heads, with them declaring 1080p looks "blurry" already
You know this is inevitable, right?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Honestly curious: what percentage of PS4/Xbone owners even own a 4k tv?

With this type of mentality, no one will ever buy 4K tv.

on one hand people complain about not enough content for 4K. When companies are giving them incentive to make the switch. People are saying there are not enough 4K TVs out, so they should focus on HD content only lol

Pif

Banned
Not smart to push native 4k with texture work and shadowing on mediums.

Sub 4k resolutions with temporal reconstruction is where it is gonna shine.

jmga

I think this is the most common opinion for graphics engineers, their job consist in developing new ways of using modern hardware for better rendering, and they can't do that if they have to use that modern hardware for rendering at 4 times the current standard resolution.

I agree.

As ever, it's about tradeoffs, and developers should be able to make informed decisions without being cornered into a particular setting.

DieH@rd

Banned
He is right, but this all is kinda pointless for this gen. All games will have to be made to run on base Xbone, so best we will get are higher PC visual settings and resolution/framerate bump. Nobody will create games only for Scorpio.

Freeman76

I think this applies more the PRO, by the time Scorpio comes out 4k will be more widespread and easily affordable

Ushay

I have a 4k TV, so I want 4k (or close to it) content.

Sure people with 1080 sets should get an option, but I personally want more.

Kayant

Ha WCCFtech still shit tier i see.

I like to see the trade offs first but am leaning to agree with him

xealo

He's not wrong. There's a lot that can be done for higher fidelity graphics other than just increasing the resolution.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think all this extra power in general is a waste for both the scorpio and the pro because they still have to follow the confines of the original hardware, which means every once in a while there will be a game that will have some bug that will be on the scorpro but not on the OG hardware.

Like the last of us situation

No wonder, Doom doesn't look sharp enough to be impressive in 4K. When I tried it at 4K there was not a lot to be gained from the higher resolution outside of higher edge definition. With the right assets 4K has the potential to look mind blowing. High detail textures or a lot of small polygonal detail is a must.

As mentioned before, this was said months ago not sure why they've chosen to write about it now.

Yeah it's a real waste to throw GPU power at rendering 4x the number of pixels, the GPU power could be used to improve a ton of things instead of just pixel count, we could be looking at higher frame-rates if the CPU power is there to do it.

I really hope Microsoft let the developers do as they wish and dont try and force 4K on their new console, I want to see higher frame-rates and higher graphical fidelity alongside image quality improvements, not just pure image quality in the form of resolution.

I'd love to see Red Dead Redemption 2 running at 1080p-1440p 60 fps, the fluidity of 60 frames per second over 30 is a night and day difference which significantly enhances the gameplay experience.

Fauxk games on Scorpio too confirmed?

They better be lol, for the reasons I stated above.

Banned
Give me Uncharted 4 visuals with 16xAF and locked 1080p60 for all games and I'll get Scorpio day one.

The new consoles targeting 4k is a huge waste. But it makes sense though as development wise it's the easiest thing to scale up with a better GPU. Up the resolution of your PS4XONE game until the frame rate buckles and call it a day. Maybe when more people own the Pro/Scorpio people will experiment with new tech (probably with a decrease in res too).

Frozone

I agree with him. Chasing 4k with the same old ways of doing games isn't going anywhere. I'd rather push higher res textures down the pipe @1080p. There are still a lot of things that we need "more of" before reaching some really good visual fidelity. Better hair solutions is one of them.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
He's right, it's still too early for 4k, it's a huge waste, better using that power for better graphics, better AA and more fps.

Ushay

Why not just let developers make those decisions and judge their results like Microsoft has been proposing all along?
Pretty sure they will, these responses are mostly people with 1080 sets (understandably). The narrative opinion will change once adoption increases.

I still can't see why there can't be another option/setting for these games at 1080.

Oersted

Why not just let developers make those decisions and judge their results like Microsoft has been proposing all along?

The tweets by the lead programmer were made on June 15, during the Scorpio reveal.

The statement by Penello, that developers could use the power however they wish, is from August 19.

On November 13th WCCFtech decided to publish an article based on these two statements.

Top Bottom