• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Lead Programmer: 4K Gaming On Xbox Scorpio Is A “Waste of Resources”

mitchman

Gold Member
After seeing supersampling to 1080p on pro-

1080p has a looooong way to go, yet. The IQ in games like Ratchet and Clank is BONKERS.

No plans to buy a 4k TV even though though my 1080 set is on its way out.

HDR + 1080p supersampling is huge. HDR is a bigger upgrade, IMO.

You won't find HDR in any 1080p TV, so I guess you'll need to get that 4k TV anyway now :)

jwhit28

Are games on Pro allowing 1080/60fps modes? I saw the headline about Skyrim running sub 30 at 4k on the pro and can't understand why anyone would do that to themselves.

jdmonmou

At least ms aren't forcing devs to do 4k. And why not both? 1080p higher graphical fidelity or xb1 graphics 4k. Best of both worlds.

Only way I'll upgrade to scorpio is if it has huge graphical differences. I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p so yeah I doubt 4k is much different for me.
Doom is a game that really demands 60 FPS at minimum. The gameplay is very fast and it is a must that the game feels as responsive as it can. Even though I could've gotten 4K 30 FPS on my PC I choose 1080p 60 FPS.

I think if MS and Sony are going all in with mid-gen upgrades then they need to start adding PC-like graphical sliders. That way everybody can adjust the settings to their liking and we don't get these unnecessary 4K vs 1080p debates. Doing that would forfeit a huge benefit of consoles which is their simplicity; the ability to just play a game without having to tinker with settings. But I think Sony and MS already destroyed the benefit of simplicity by introducing these mid-gen console upgrades. If you want to compete with PC might as well go all in.

But our goal is to build a box that delivers true 4K games at the same level of fidelity that you see on your current Xbox One games. That is the box we are building. We know we can do it.”, Microsoft’s senior director of product management, Albert Penello, told The Inner Circle recently.
http://wccftech.com/doom-lead-4k-xbox-scorpio-waste/

Isn't that the same guy who swore there was "no way" they were giving up 40% performance to the PS4 in Xbox One (before release), and that there was secret sauce that would blow our minds? Microsoft invented DirectX!

I'll take Penello with a grain of salty skepticism and a large dose of show me the receipts.

As for the MS strategy, I think they would be very smart to push for a fairly simple dual graphics option that consumers can understand. If the PS4 Pro has taught us anything, it's that 1080P still matters and gamers just want to understand WTF their options are.

I would market Scorpio as providing two options for gamers and then require games to keep their graphics settings to two levels: 4K or 1080p.

- 4K would be at least as good as the Xbox One (graphics and frame rate), and ideally still target 60fps where suitable.

- 1080P would be 60fps in all cases, and have as many bells and whistles turned on as it can sustain at this fps, providing a marked graphical setting improvement over the Xbox One.

I think Rise of the Tomb Raider got it pretty right on PS4 Pro. Three options that are easy to change between and don't complicate the issue too much for console gamers (btw I went with 1080/60fps all the way on that title - 4K didn't offer enough wow to justify 30fps).

Forcing developers and users to 4K is a mistake, but providing an easy toggle between 1080/4K is empowering and makes everyone happy.

Dezzy

I have a 60" 4k TV and the PS4 Pro, and I'd agree. I sit about 8ft away from the TV and 1080p(but no lower please.) still looks fine to me. Using the extra power for HDR, better anti-aliasing and frame rate makes way more sense. Now on a PC higher resolution is better, but that's because I'm close to the screen. TV can get away with just 1080p with good AA. 4k resolution looks amazing, but it's not a fair trade for performance.

Cartho

Are games on Pro allowing 1080/60fps modes? I saw the headline about Skyrim running sub 30 at 4k on the pro and can't understand why anyone would do that to themselves.

Depends on the devs.

FF XV has an unlocked frame rate mode which is apparently working between 40 - 50 FPS and apparently the devs are working on a Pro patch which will be out at some point in December and is targetting getting the game up to 60 FPS at 1080p.

I've been saying this for ages and usually catch shit for it. Native 4K is a waste of resources, even on high end PC gpus. Don't get me started on how stupid 4K at only 30fps is.

We went through this exercise at the start of this generation--1080p vs filmic 720p. And we all know who won that argument. No amount of back-patting can deny the fact that the two easiest ways to discuss comparative performance are resolution and frame rate, and there is significant value in that vis a vis marketing, the press, etc.

Not speaking for employer.

jaypah

It's too late now to change the message.

Microsoft put a 4K writing on the chip render! If games don't reach "TRUE" 4K now (native) it will be a marketing failure no matter what.

Microsoft has told gamers to wait a year for Scorpio just for this, in comparison to PS4 Pro

If they won't keep that promise the machine is doomed as it will be more expensive than PS4 Pro no matter what

Uh, they've been saying it's up to the devs since pretty much the day it was announced. I mean, of course I expect you to create a dooms day scenario where MS can't possibly win, but it's not the reality of what happened. Fanfiction I think they call it?

He's right, and the same applies to Pro.

XB1 quality graphics at 4K native, or PS4 quality graphics at 1800p? Nah, I'd rather see better graphics at 1080p. Just imagine what we could get at 1080p with 6/4.2TF.

Resolution ain't everything. Put it this way, 1080p looked damn fine on my mate's 55" 4K Sony from the couch.

jwhit28

Depends on the devs.

FF XV has an unlocked frame rate mode which is apparently working between 40 - 50 FPS and apparently the devs are working on a Pro patch which will be out at some point in December and is targetting getting the game up to 60 FPS at 1080p.

That's decent. I'm all for allowing devs choice but I wish Sony and Microsoft could guarantee at least a 1080/60fps experience. That is much more enticing than 4k CLASS gaming.

Rathorial

I'd agree with that as well, native 4k is a waste of resources on fixed SKU devices like a console. It makes more sense on PC where you can buy an entire range of GPUs, multiple GPUs in SLI/Crossfire, or run older games at 4k because the performance cost is lower.

Even though I'll probably get a 4k TV at the end of 2017, I'd still say higher fidelity 1080p is worth it, especially if we could see good looking 60fps games at 1080p that the Scorpio could probably deliver vs. the weaker PS4Pro or vanilla consoles. Sony's upscaling solution is also probably a better solution in the interim to get some of the anti-aliasing benefits of 4k.

Rather than having enough grunt for 4K native, I'm hoping Scorpio will have a stronger CPU side so 60 FPS titles would be more common. A lot of 30 FPS console titles are shoddily optimized beyond that target and PC ports suffer from it when trying to hit 60. While 60 FPS target is a design decision more than anything else, considering that multiplat devs need to support all these old Jaguar based consoles I could really see them consider making more games 60 FPS with Scorpio, assuming it's using a more powerful CPU. It's actually my biggest disappointment about Pro that they only slightly upped the clock, which at best gives us fluctuating unlocked fps modes.

Kieli

Games still haven't even gotten 1080p down to solid 30fps without drops. Why are the big 2 going straight to 4K?...

They can't just randomly emulate any old 360 game without alot of work though. I mean they can put any game on backwards compat but it's not just a case of putting any 360 game in the disc drive and playing it. It requires a certain amount of engineering to get it working. No way are they going to launch a Scorpio box which requires all original Xbox 1 games to be patched to even run on the damn thing.

That's what I'm saying in the first place. If it is AMD Zen then I'm sure they'd still have the specific hardware to run original XB1 games without a patch. I'm almost positive that they're going to still have esram in place as well.

Fisty

Well it depends on what processor the Scorpio has. If it's a Jaguar, then yeah it'll probably just be mostly res bumps

singhr1

and that would be perfectly fine.

Not if you want these companies to stay in business and make things you want.

Do you want your TV shows to look better? Do you want your movies to look better? Do you want all this at a reasonable price? Then you want more 4K content and people buying 4K tvs.

lawnchair

Banned
Do you want your TV shows to look better? Do you want your movies to look better? Do you want all this at a reasonable price? Then you want more 4K content and people buying 4K tvs.

i'm totally satisfied with the way TV shows and movies look on my current TV.

Widge

Sounds like what is needed is a cheaper stop gap console while hardware and TV adoption catches up for mass market.

CrayToes

I've got to agree. 1080p still looks fucking great if done well. I'd be more than happy to stick with it for another 3-4 years if it meant higher framerates and better graphics.

scently

Personally I think this generation still has a lot to give in terms of graphics. Look at the games we got this year; UC4, GoW4, FH3 etc. Also, games from the previous years; Ryse, Driveclub, RoTTR, Batman, The Order 1886, etc. Next year is also poised to be even more stellar; Horizon, Days Gone, God of War, and lots more.

I don't mind what both companies are attempting, which is presenting this gen graphics at immaculate or near enough IQ, be it in the form of higher than 1080p to 4k for 4ktvs or downsampled to 1080p. I have realised that I am alot more sensitive to IQ issues in games the more good looking they get.

So, the same or better than this gen graphics at much better IQ and better performance than the base systems.

MetalGearSilly

Neo Member
I agree. The greatest shame of the last two console generations is that we've barely even had a taste of stable 1080p gaming at its best, and all of a sudden we're jumping to 4k.

I agree with this.

Are they pushing 4k because they wanna sell 4k tellies? People are probably gonna buy Samsung anyway...I dunno.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I just bought me a new thousand dollar TV, and it's 1080p. I'm not going to upgrade any time soon. I might get the Scorpio, but I hope they focus on something else than resolution.

He's right. Even as a PC gamer I'd rather have 1080p or 1440p with all the bells and whistles turned up / higher frame rate than 4K. It really feels like people are rushing into 4K gaming especially since not so long ago we were having games on console that were struggling to maintain 30 FPS at 1080p native.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
He's right, and the same applies to Pro.

XB1 quality graphics at 4K native, or PS4 quality graphics at 1800p? Nah, I'd rather see better graphics at 1080p. Just imagine what we could get at 1080p with 6/4.2TF.

Resolution ain't everything. Put it this way, 1080p looked damn fine on my mate's 55" 4K Sony from the couch.

Nothing. Your expecting them to make graphics a next gen level priority at 1080p? That will never happen as long as they have to focus on PS4 and XB1 as well.

I hope devs end up using dynamic resolution (with a fixed 4K UI) with a high quality AA solution instead of trying for 4K, it is the best solutions out there. Playing Titanfall 2 at 4K while using dynamic res on the PC with TSAA both looks and works great. Also making Freesync over HDMI work on the Scorpio would be a big win (even with dynamic res it would be useful in catching the initial frame time inconsistencies before the res drops).

New002

Eh. Provide options like PC. 1080p/60 fps or punch up some of the bells and whistles for a 4k/30 experience. Is this much, much more difficult than I imagine it to be? Or are we just assuming this won't happen? Legit questions.

U-R

The moment it was clear the PS4 pro's power was wasted into (fake) 4K instead of pushing 60 fps, that's where my interest died. I hope scoprio offers the ability to choose at the very least, or drop the 4K bullshit altogether.

Fisty

The moment it was clear the PS4 pro's power was wasted into (fake) 4K instead of pushing 60 fps, that's where my interest died. I hope scoprio offers the ability to choose at the very least, or drop the 4K bullshit altogether.

Fake 4K isn't a waste of power, it's actually a better use of that power than native 4K. It doesn't require near the same amount of power, and it offers a great benefit on 4K screens over 1080p. Not to mention it offers a great AA solution for 1080p screens. Until we have 10TF consoles and 4K 30fps is more attainable, I think this half-step is the best compromise point

Top Bottom