• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Lead Programmer: 4K Gaming On Xbox Scorpio Is A “Waste of Resources”

PFD

He's not wrong

It's also the same reason why I'm upgrading to a 3440x1440 monitor instead of 4K on PC.

Novocaine

Why not just let developers make those decisions and judge their results like Microsoft has been proposing all along?

I'm glad they are letting developers decide on how to use the power. And seeing PS4P patched games getting options of sorts is good. I would much rather stable 60 framerates before pushing 4K resolution personally.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This tweet was already made for a thread 6 months ago.

I'm glad they are letting developers decide on how to use the power. And seeing PS4P patched games getting options of sorts is good. I would much rather stable 60 framerates before pushing 4K resolution personally.

Without a new CPU, 6tflops in scorpio means about as much as 4.2tflops means in Pro. There's only so much developers are going to bother doing for a niche like iterative consoles, over PS4 and XB1. So you cant expect all of them to waste their time providing marginally better graphical options from PC versions or trying to hit 60fps instead of just pushing that power into resolution boosts.

After seeing supersampling to 1080p on pro-

1080p has a looooong way to go, yet. The IQ in games like Ratchet and Clank is BONKERS.

No plans to buy a 4k TV even though though my 1080 set is on its way out.

HDR + 1080p supersampling is huge. HDR is a bigger upgrade, IMO.

jdmonmou

The 4K push is just too early. More consumers would prefer 1080p improvements over 4K visuals since they only have an HDTV now. Both MS and Sony should've waited until they could both produce a console powerful enough to output 4K/60 FPS for AAA games. I don't think the Scorpio will be powerful enough to do this hence the "waste of resources comment."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I want more 4K content but not at Xbox One fidelity. Sony's checkerboard rendering technique is very impressive so I'm hoping to see more developers find creative ways to boost resolution while saving on resources.

This guy is 100% correct.

The percentage of 4k sets in homes by the end of 2017 will be in the single digits.

Such a waste of potential.

10% by the end of the 2016.

The 4K push is just too early. More consumers would prefer 1080p improvements over 4K visuals since they only have an HDTV now. Both MS and Sony should've waited until they could both produce a console powerful enough to output 4K/60 FPS for AAA games. I don't think the Scorpio will be powerful enough to do this hence the "waste of resources comment."

Agreed.

SpokkX

Yup. Before moving on to 1080p at 60fps should be the priority.

Smart guy

60fps@1080p with better textures/effects should be the focus.

4k vs 1080p is barely noticable in motion on a tv that sits several meters away

Hdr though, is noticable and worth it

dogstar

Banned
Yeah... I find the quest for resolution boring. Yes, its nice to have a crisp display, but, I'd far rather the extra HP used to add graphical features first... maybe extra frames too, depending on the game.... For me me extra lushness is what I want.

centmoe

Banned
This tweet was already made for a thread 6 months ago.

Without a new CPU, 6tflops in scorpio means about as much as 4.2tflops means in Pro. There's only so much developers are going to bother doing for a niche like iterative consoles, over PS4 and XB1. So you cant expect all of them to waste their time providing marginally better graphical options from PC versions or trying to hit 60fps instead of just pushing that power into resolution boosts.

it is going to get a new cpu, Phil basically confirmed it when he directly mentions their discarded idea of releasing a half step this year like sony.

Framerate improves gameplay and gameplay is king.
I am looking at a new monitor and I will gladly pay the premium to get a 1440p/144hz monitor with G-sync over a cheaper plain 4k/60fps monitor.

Trup1aya

He's right.

If I got the feeling that most devs were going to target native 4K instead of making the 1080p experience better, I'd just stick with what I have.

If they want to offer a multitude of options, I'd be fine with that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they keep the CPU as jaguar then there is a limit what they could do at 1080p beyond improving the image quality, which 4K downsamolednwillnhelo a lot with anyway.

Hermii

A possible flaw in his argument is that the game has still has to run on an original Xbox one. Focusing most of the budget on the Xbox one version then giving it a resolution bump for the Scorpio sounds like a ton less work.

viHuGi

Banned
Anything between 1080p and 4K with great AA and Dinamic Resolution is great on my book, looking at Infinite Warfare and Ratchet games look so crisp already that I'm fine with it.

But Microsoft wants that 4K in all exclusives.

Karish

Now that I have pro I must agree. Would rather have checkerboard and high frame rate and / or better effects

Cartho

I still feel like MS has made a strange move with Scorpio. They seem to be trying to push it as a really big upgrade over the Xbox One. Saying things like "We didn't want to do a half step" like Sony did etc. Phil dropped several hints that it might not even be Jaguar based - so possibly Zen. A new SoC - that's impressive but could raise all sorts of compatibility issues with the original Xbox One games unless they work out a way of making it mimic the OG Xb1 without needing software patches.

It's all very well and good them doing this and releasing some monster box, but they've also gone and said that it won't have exclusive games - everything that launches for it will also launch for the OG Xb1. Therefore games are likely going to simply be developed for the OG Xb1 and then given a resolution bump on Scorpio. This is fine but, as I expect will be the case with Pro, support from devs will vary and so will the results. You will get some Ratchet and Clank results or, from what we're hearing, Horizon Zero Dawn, where a dev goes the extra mile and does some incredible things. However you will probably get just as many where devs simply whack a downsample on it and call it a day.

It's gonna be an interesting year!

Wollan

Hoping a HDMI standard for variable-framerate will be announced prior to next-gen and hopefully a standardized target of 4K/~60fps in 2019/2020.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm fine with this too.

I've always said I'd rather last gens best graphics at 1080/60 with full AA and all the bells and whistles.

After playing Dirt 3 on my Alienware last night, I believe that more than ever. But obviously todays visuals at all of the above would be great.

I still feel like MS has made a strange move with Scorpio. They seem to be trying to push it as a really big upgrade over the Xbox One. Saying things like "We didn't want to do a half step" like Sony did etc. Phil dropped several hints that it might not even be Jaguar based - so possibly Zen. A new SoC - that's impressive but could raise all sorts of compatibility issues with the original Xbox One games unless they work out a way of making it mimic the OG Xb1 without needing software patches.

It's all very well and good them doing this and releasing some monster box, but they've also gone and said that it won't have exclusive games - everything that launches for it will also launch for the OG Xb1. Therefore games are likely going to simply be developed for the OG Xb1 and then given a resolution bump on Scorpio. This is fine but, as I expect will be the case with Pro, support from devs will vary and so will the results. You will get some Ratchet and Clank results or, from what we're hearing, Horizon Zero Dawn, where a dev goes the extra mile and does some incredible things. However you will probably get just as many where devs simply whack a downsample on it and call it a day.

It's gonna be an interesting year!

If they can emulate 360 with a 1.7ghz jaguar then I'm pretty sure they'd be able to run XB1 games with a better x86 processor.

DieH@rd

Banned
I want more 4K content but not at Xbox One fidelity. Sony's checkerboard rendering technique is very impressive so I'm hoping to see more developers find creative ways to boost resolution while saving on resources.

It's important to mention that checkerboard rendering is enabled by the presence of ID Buffer module that Sony specifically asked AMD to include on the APU.

Who knows if MS will have it. If they don't now is already to late to add it.

scently

This is quite an interesting statement or state of affairs. From the various PS4P threads most seem more impressed by the improvements in IQ which is brought about by the sheer increase in rendering resolution, benefiting both 4ktv and 1080p owners, Case in point ROTTR. Most seem to choose the 4k mode or the high framerate instead of the high effects mode. So I am not exactly sure what the issue is here. These consoles (Scorpio and PS4P) are designed basically to take the current gen games and render them at or near 4k res using different means.

MS has made it clear that developers are free to use the consoles resources as they see fit. In time we will get to see what the developers favor more; high fidelity, high res, high framerate or a mixture.

It's too late now to change the message.

Microsoft put a 4K writing on the chip render! If games don't reach "TRUE" 4K now (native) it will be a marketing failure no matter what.

Microsoft has told gamers to wait a year for Scorpio just for this, in comparison to PS4 Pro

If they won't keep that promise the machine is doomed as it will be more expensive than PS4 Pro no matter what

Hoo-doo

Banned
I said these exact words in the previous thread.

Going all-in on rendering every game in native 4K is going to put a big damper on what kind of graphical showpieces you can create. It's not worth it.

DarkestHour

Banned
These are my feelings as well with Scorpio and PS4 Pro. I do not understand the push to 4K when games at 1080p are lacking detail and still cannot run at 60 FPS. If they leveraged the power for 1080p we would have some absolutely beautiful console games coming out.

Microsoft put a 4K writing on the chip render! If games don't reach "TRUE" 4K now (native) it will be a marketing failure no matter what.

Microsoft has told gamers to wait a year for Scorpio just for this, in comparison to PS4 Pro

If they won't keep that promise the machine is doomed as it will be more expensive than PS4 Pro no matter what

Nobody in the real world is going to give a shit if they don't do 4K gaming for all their first party stuff or whatever.

That's the bonus of advertising something a year in advance, no one remembers.

Oersted

“I think people get confused and say our messaging is weird. Not every developer is going to use it that way. Not every developer is going to decide to take that 6TFLOPs and do 4K/60fps with it. They might decide for their game, their engine that they want to do something different and that’s fine. But our goal is to build a box that delivers true 4K games at the same level of fidelity that you see on your current Xbox One games. That is the box we are building. We know we can do it.”,

Thread is old, your post is older.

Chris1

At least ms aren't forcing devs to do 4k. And why not both? 1080p higher graphical fidelity or xb1 graphics 4k. Best of both worlds.

Only way I'll upgrade to scorpio is if it has huge graphical differences. I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p so yeah I doubt 4k is much different for me.

scently

It's important to mention that checkerboard rendering is enabled by the presence of ID Buffer module that Sony specifically asked AMD to include on the APU.

Who knows if MS will have it. If they don't now is already to late to add it.

They don't have to use Sony's method in order to enable checkerboard rendering. R6 already used it before the advent of PS4P. Besides, there are, and will be, other method of reconstruction developers can use apart from CBR. Case in point; R&C and its use of Temporal injection, which I have to say, achieves the same objective without the CBR artifacts.

Yep. He's totally right. 1080p games still look damn good and with a lot more power you can do so much crazy shit with framerate, effects, AI, among other things.

I just bought a PS4 Pro for my 1080p TV. The games that support it with super/down sampling are so crisp and clear.

btrboyev

Absolutely correct. There isn't any hardware out right now that can do 4K justice across the board. Shouldn't waste time aiming for it.

hesido

This gives me the chance to reiterate, for the 16th time, that "brute forcing" 4K is an absolute waste of resources, which can otherwise be used for more complex shaders.

Nobody in the real world is going to give a shit if they don't do 4K gaming for all their first party stuff or whatever.

That's the bonus of advertising something a year in advance, no one remembers.

Maybe they won't remember, but at the same time MS would have to explain why they waited a year for something that is basically a more expensive PS4 Pro with the magic number: 6 TF!!!

DBT85

The best thing is that devs can choose what to do. If they want to hit 1080 then fine. If they want to try and hit something higher then that's fine too.

While a lot of games might get native 4k, I think a lot more are going to go for sub native for obvious reasons. Even the PS4 at 1.84 tf doesn't get all 1080 native games. No way in hell that 4.2 or 6.0tf is going to get all Native 4k.

As I've said before, 900p on a 1080 screen if far more noticable than 1800 on a 2160 screen purely because of the pixel density. Game are going to look mad on Pro and Scorpio.

I'm not even expecting native 4k on all games for PS5/Xbone-2

Cartho

If they can emulate 360 with a 1.7ghz jaguar then I'm pretty sure they'd be able to run XB1 games with a better x86 processor.

They can't just randomly emulate any old 360 game without alot of work though. I mean they can put any game on backwards compat but it's not just a case of putting any 360 game in the disc drive and playing it. It requires a certain amount of engineering to get it working. No way are they going to launch a Scorpio box which requires all original Xbox 1 games to be patched to even run on the damn thing.

Purest 78

Completely agree I feel the same about the Pro 1080p should be the baseline. Use the extra power for better graphics and settings.

Top Bottom