• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Links hits 3 million downloads in 5 days

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is very fast for a mobile title, especially one only out in Japan.

The user reviews are also very positive, which is definitely not always true of Japanese mobile launches.

This is Konami's first big smartphone hit that isn't a sports game. It's ranking very well in the top grossing charts for the curious.

yugiohryk7e.png

Source: https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/801088959187038208

blakep267

The real question is can I send my opponent a virus laden email that will corrupt his game, allowing my Celtic guardian to beat his Blue eyes

Ōkami

The 3DS game that's also F2P surpassed over 1 million downloads.

Powapuru on mobile is over 22 million, Konami is doing very well there.

I can see why it would do well on mobile, but it's not for me. The number of people who were disconnecting pricks on the long line of DS games out me off ever playing it with random online.

It isn't like real Yu-Gi-Oh unless you spend all of your parents money trying to assemble Exodia only to end up with 5 pairs of arms and legs and later in life finding a complete set on eBay for like $3.

Takao

Banned
To the first one I'm not sure (I think it's slightly modified? They have another PC game coming IIRC.), and it's definitely getting a Western release.

You mean significantly simplified. This game (and the 3DS one) use a form of gameplay called Speed Dueling, which is meant for kids and those who last played the TCG when they were kids.

The PC game is just a port of the most recent console one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You mean significantly simplified. This game (and the 3DS one) use a form of gameplay called Speed Dueling, which is meant for kids and those who last played the TCG when they were kids.

That probably makes the most sense for mobile and the 3DS. Given the character choices, the latter is also probably explicitly the target audience for the mobile version.

Ōkami;225274029 said:
The 3DS game that's also F2P surpassed over 1 million downloads.

Powapuru on mobile is over 22 million, Konami is doing very well there.

Didn't know there was a F2P 3DS game. Awesome. Will download.

Don't you automatically get the win if they disconnected?

Probably but someone people quitting as soon as they're even slightly behind or they trigger a trap they didn't plan for defeated the point. People didn't typically wait until the last moments to quit.

Takao

Banned
That probably makes the most sense for mobile and the 3DS. Given the character choices, the latter is also probably explicitly the target audience for the mobile version.

It definitely is. Konami announced Duel Links and did the beta test alongside the theatrical release of Darkside of Dimensions, the new movie starring the original cast.

Mokubba

I wish I had time to get back into this game and a mobile version might do it for me.

I downloaded the last console game and loved the single player but not knowing the library of cards like I used to and all the new stuff like Pendulum, synchro and xyz threw me off.

Glad to see though that it's still going strong. 3 million in 5 days in only regions is impressive.

bjork

I was playing this and they decided to stagger logins due to the amount of people playing. So I went like a day and half without ever being able to even log in, and said forget it. It seems cool, but maybe I'll come back later when they have a better handle on capacity.

But as far as Konami mobile games go, I know Professional Baseball Spirits Ace is still the king since they shut down Crows X Worst V. PBSA is regularly in the top 100 grossing, and Crows X Worst Dynamite turns up there fairly often too. Not sure if that's whales keeping those games afloat or what, and it doesn't surface user numbers, but Konami seems to have a decent handle on mobile these days.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
And you ask yourselves why Konami is concentrating their gaming efforts on mobile.

The proof is in the pudding. Despite achieving similar revenues to last year, gaming segment profit is up by 50% due their mobile initiative.

Based on that link it just seems like the same game except with fewer cards and fewer zones for those cards. Is that accurate? Seems fun.

Top Bottom