• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One downloads are now 40-80% faster

SOR5

Depending on whether you have a 100mbps+ connection or not.

OS version: 10.0.14393.2152 (rs1_xbox_rel_1610 161208-1218) fre
Release date: 12/14/2016
Performance and general improvements
Download performance
We’ve made several optimizations to game and app downloads on Xbox One:
Customers with high-speed connections (greater than 100Mbps) should experience up to 80% faster download speeds.
Customers with connections less than 100Mbps should experience more consistent performance that is up to 40% faster than before.

Additional optimizations have also made background downloads more resilient to intermittent connectivity issues.
Download speeds will be influenced by network contention within the home and at the ISP level. Download speeds will also be impacted when games are running on the console as system resources are prioritized for gameplay over background downloads. For more information, visit Troubleshoot slow game or app downloads on Xbox One.

Just a nice tidbit, commence discussion about how we all miss just putting in the disc and playing the game

Source: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-update-operating-system

EDIT: Also public service announcement for people on all platforms and devices
---Change. Your. DNS. Settings.-----
It could be a complete game-changer.

EDIT EDIT: Run a benchmark and find the best DNS address for you, don't just slap Google on it. Treat your router with care. Take care of the router and it'll take care of you. Don't think of it as just another router. Treat it with love...don't be rough.

I don't miss putting the disc in and playing, so this is good news. I hope other machines with notoriously terrible download speeds (they know who they are...) follow suit.

Microsoft really stepped it up with the people-pleasing and I give them a lot of props for that. Even if this is largely technical, it vastly improves ease of use.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Praise the power of the Cloud

Card Boy

Banned
Even before this update it is was still faster than the PSN, this isn't a driveby shitpost but a cold hard fact. Took me 4 days straight to download just COD: MWR and just afew hours to download something the same size over XB. Thats just one example out of my many bad experiences.

Downloads are still slow on my end. However, dash navigation has improved significantly since the last update.

Even before this update it is was still faster than the PSN, this isn't a driveby shitpost but a cold hard fact. Took me 4 days straight to download just COD: MWR and just afew hours to download something the same size over XB. Thats just one example out of my many bad experiences.

PSN has been faster this gen, for me at least.

Good news - I'd noticed over the last couple of weeks in particular starting a download and coming back later to find it stopped at 70-80% for some reason. Happy to see upgrades here.

styl3s

I thought my downloads were faster than usual today i downloaded the Snow Mountain expansion in about 3 minutes which is how long 3-4GB would take me on Steam.

Not that Xbox One has ever been slow for me i have always gotten like 70% of my speeds wirelessly.

I know on PSV and PS3 they are awful, and it was night and day when I got an XBOS... Don't have anything to download to try right now, but my 150mbps connection is happy to hear about this for the future.

SOR5

How do I change my DNS settings?
Go to Network.
Go to Advanced Settings.
Go to DNS settings.
Select Manual.
For example if I wanted to use Google
Enter Primary DNS 8.8.8.8 and press enter.
Enter Secondary IP 8.8.4.4 and press enter.

But I find its best to change the DNS your router uses

Change DNS settings to what exactly by the way?

Run the GRC DNS benchmark on your computer, but the big two popular ones are Google and OpenDNS

FStop7

Banned
I noticed an big improvement in download speeds starting a couple of weeks ago, I was wondering what had changed.

Lutherian

Depending on whether you have a 100mbps+ connection or not.

Just a nice tidbit, commence discussion about how we all miss just putting in the disc and playing the game

Source: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-update-operating-system

EDIT: Also public service announcement for people on all platforms and devices
---Change. Your. DNS. Settings.-----
It could be a complete game-changer.

Shullbit. I'm downloading Lost Odyssey and FH3 Blizzard Mountain at 128 ko/s instead of 12,Mo/s. Sooo... bullshit.

EDIT :
Oops, there's a system update (but the console didn't checked it, silly thing). Downloading now. Wait and see.

Top Bottom