• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One downloads are now 40-80% faster

As long as I'm in rest mode, PS4 is super fast with DL's. Not sure if it's just me but they are pretty slow if you watch the bar constantly

I have no idea how fast it's downloading in rest mode but in active mode it downloads way faster than my Xbox One. Both on wireless.

farisr

Explain that to me please.
If you're closer to a server, or are being routed to a server that's closest to you which doesn't have high traffic in general, you're going to get a faster download speed.

I consistently get 250mbps with a ps4 wired connection. Whereas my original Xbox One (wired) was maxing out around 80mbps, and the Xbox One S (wired) doesn't seem any different.

Yes, XBL in general will more often than not be faster for people (probably due to Microsoft likely having way more servers in way more places, hence less traffic per server, and a server that is likely closer to you than a Sony one). But it's not impossible for people to have a consistently faster connection to PSN than XBL.

Anyways, on topic. Update didn't change much for me (even tried messing around with a few DNS settings). It's actually slower than usual right now but perhaps this will show improvements with big downloads.

NateDrake

I started to download Lost Odyssey and it started off at 200mbps but then dropped to 80mbps and stayed around that. Usually got about 60 on my wireless. If it stays at 80-ish from now on that is a decent improvement.

Are you watching this, Sony? This is how you fix your pathetic download speeds.

SN1Gjc3.jpg

Mines just fine. Took me an hour for Uc4. Nothing wrong with psn. Never had been for me in UK. Pro does seem quicker though.
That shit doesn't matter. I always get full speed when I do the test but oh boy, I try to download something immediately and I download at 400 kbs. I pause and resume, 800kbps. After trying six times finally I get full speed (40 mb) but only for about 20 minutos.

Cleve

This is the cogent point. PSN can be as fast as xbox live, but it is not consistent..Microsoft, like valve, seems to have gotten their cdn stuff sorted out

Given how much of their business is cloud services now, I'd hope so.

That said, PSN is laughable. sometimes I get 60mbit/s, sometimes 40, sometimes 12. Steam and MS? 180-210mb/s easy.

Upinsmoke

What was the point in yours?

If your PS4 legitimately has faster download speeds than your Xbox One then you have a defunct Xbox unit.

It's not even open to interpretation, the PS4 has diabolical download speeds full stop.

Unless you have a good sample size as proof then it's entirely open to interpretation. Don't get all salty because someone has a different experience to you,that's pathetic.

Did this not happen yesterday? My games usually download around 11-12 Mb/s but yesterday stuff was downloading at 34Mb/s.

actually that's almost 3 times more, thats probably my ISP.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wouldn't this be dependent on your internet connection?

I mean I have a 100mb connection and Live has downloaded at like 5mb while a speed test on my PC or phone was yielding 75mb.

But then I've seen it go as high as 200mb for like 5 seconds while dling FIFA which shouldn't even be possible.

I have a 353Mbps down connection, but haven't tried this update yet. Previously was getting between 60Mbps - 100+Mbps. Hopefully now I can get closer to maxing out my connection when downloading digital titles on Xbox One.

Question:
Why change DNS? And why Google?

Different DNS servers can reduce your ping to the servers. But only if your ISP's DNS are slower then something like Google DNS or OpenDNS.

Miyahon

Mine always starts off REALLY FAST and then takes a shit when it reaches ~75%...Wonder if this will help?

Same exact thing happens to me when I update the Xbox One. Earlier I had to do an update and the file size was around 460 MB. It moved quickly till around 75% where it stopped and slowly gained 1% every few seconds.

I'm not using WiFi either and there wasn't any devices downloading anything at the time. It's consistently happened on every update I've done with the Xbox since I purchased it.

Withnail

DNS
Domain Name Server
Translates URLs to IPs.
The only difference in different DNS servers would be latency. The latency to resolve the URL to an IP address.
Do not understand why that would speed up or slow down downloads, which occur after DNS translation....

Nope, it's more complicated than that. We don't all download from a single server but from a network of servers called a Content Delivery Network (CDN). Your DNS server will connect you to its nearest CDN server, this might not be the one that gives you the fastest download speeds.

This could be a particular problem if for example you use non-local DNS servers to get around Netflix region locking. In this case you might end up connecting to a content server in another country.

Just Google for information about DNS and CDNs.

Detective

I have a 353Mbps down connection, but haven't tried this update yet. Previously was getting between 60Mbps - 100+Mbps. Hopefully now I can get closer to maxing out my connection when downloading digital titles on Xbox One.

Different DNS servers can reduce your ping to the servers. But only if your ISP's DNS are slower then something like Google DNS or OpenDNS.

I see. When I take the test on Xbox console it gives me 189 ping.

Otherwise the download speed have been great here.

Electret

XBLive has always been fast for me, but I'll take any increase in speed.

PSN by contrast has always been glacially slow. Switching to Google's DNS didn't change that. Guess I'll try out namebench and go from there.

Upinsmoke

Right now I'm downloading a system update,just over 400mb it's on 86 percent with 53 mb remaining, is this update to make future downloads quicker cos right this is slow as fuuuuuck

Downloading a 400mb patch in 30 minutes is bad,that would take like a minute or two on steam

leeh

If you're closer to a server, or are being routed to a server that's closest to you which doesn't have high traffic in general, you're going to get a faster download speed.

I consistently get 250mbps with a ps4 wired connection. Whereas my original Xbox One (wired) was maxing out around 80mbps, and the Xbox One S (wired) doesn't seem any different.

Yes, XBL in general will more often than not be faster for people (probably due to Microsoft likely having way more servers in way more places, hence less traffic per server, and a server that is likely closer to you than a Sony one). But it's not impossible for people to have a consistently faster connection to PSN than XBL.

Anyways, on topic. Update didn't change much for me (even tried messing around with a few DNS settings). It's actually slower than usual right now but perhaps this will show improvements with big downloads.
Just to be pedantic, download speed is only effected by latency, or more accurately, the amount of hops to a server if you're downloading via TCP. Downloading over UDP has zero effect on your speeds if you have a larger latency.

Also, your DNS has zero effect on your download speed folks. DNS is only good for your responsiveness of a badly designed UI (Looking at you Xbox), as the extra latency of a slow DNS resolution will effect how long it takes for all the request domains to resolve.

Checking the MTU as mentioned in the PS4 threads is a very good suggestion as a too large MTU can lead to dropped packets or more fragmented packets which impacts your speeds significantly. The smaller the MTU the more whole packets it has to send for the same size data which increases overhead considerably and congests transfer mediums more.

Theorry

Never had problems with the speed i must say. Was always arround 80% if what i could do.
Still pretty nice to hear.

Right now I'm downloading a system update,just over 400mb it's on 86 percent with 53 mb remaining, is this update to make future downloads quicker cos right this is slow as fuuuuuck

Downloading a 400mb patch in 30 minutes is bad,that would take like a minute or two on steam

It always slows down arround 75%
Its then not only downloading anymore. Probably also installing stuff then already.

Ah, that would explain a lot. When I started my Lost Odyssey download earlier, the download speed went up to levels I'd never seen before - 110Mb/s. Then it got throttled down by my ISP as I'm not meant to be getting that kind of speed. But for the first few seconds my install was piling up.

I quite like how the Xbox One reports download speeds in Mb/s - easy way to see whether the servers are maxing out your internet speed.

To me the Xbox always took way longer to install anything on disc or download than ps4. Maybe it'll be differenthe? I don't use the xb1 much though.

Alex

literally skim through any of the "PSN is slow" threads and you'll see tons of people with no issues

Don't buy it no matter what is said on here, when a group of friends from three different cities all complain about the same shit. Either people have very poor expectations of download speeds on consoles or they're running damage control.

PSN is glacial, something needs to be done.

SDMG

Can someone make a thread of this if it hasn't been posted. I didn't know this was rolling out this week for the Preview Program.

Disregard if old, Im unable to make a thread

Powerful Dolby Atmos Sound Coming To Xbox One And Windows 10

Spencer Hooks, Director of Gaming, Dolby Laboratories, talks about how Xbox will be the first game console to feature Dolby Atmos and how bringing Dolby Atmos support to Xbox One and Windows 10 gaming next year will bring you even further inside the action and sound of your favorite titles.

Xbox Blu-ray Bitstream Pass-Through

This week Xbox also announced that Blu-ray Bitstream pass-through, which includes Dolby Atmos support on Xbox One and Xbox One S, would be rolling out to Xbox Preview members. This feature enables all Xbox consoles to pass Blu-ray audio data untouched to a user’s audio equipment, allowing your audio receiver or other audio device to produce a high quality, immersive sound experience.

A top fan-requested feature, it enables Xbox users who have invested in pro-audio set-ups to experience the best possible audio from their Blu-ray movies. To use this feature, you will need to have your console connected over HDMI to a compatible audio receiver which supports decoding of popular Blu-ray audio formats.

If you’re an Xbox Preview member, here are some helpful tips on how to enable:

• Ensure your console is connected via HDMI to a device that supports decoding of Blu-ray audio formats.
  • Make sure you have the latest Blu-ray player by checking the “Updates” tab under “My Games & Apps.”
  • Enable “Let my receiver decode audio (beta)” under the “Disc & Blu-ray” settings page.
  • Insert your favorite DVD or Blu-ray disc.
  • Kick back and enjoy the highest quality audio from your movies and TV shows.
  • For more info for Xbox Preview Members, you can visit the forums here.

Dolby and Xbox will have more to share next year on timing and availability of Dolby Atmos for gaming audio. Enjoy!

More at link >>> https://majornelson.com/2016/12/14/...g-to-xbox-one-and-windows-10/?linkId=32377916

legbone

Don't buy it no matter what is said on here, when a group of friends from three different cities all complain about the same shit. Either people have very poor expectations of download speeds on consoles or they're running damage control.

PSN is glacial, something needs to be done.

yep. i get anywhere from 50 to 70 down (with my new pro, the og ps4 was more like 20 to 30) while my chromebook gets 190 to 210 on the same wifi in my house. and for some reason, my new xbox one s seems awfully slow as well. i'm looking forward to this patch (hasn't hit me yet).

edit: woohoo. downloading update now. got a ton of stuff to dl since i just upgraded to the s. i will report back folkies.

edit: figures, the update took forever to dl and then the first two tests ran i got about 30 down each time with 1% packet loss and 15 up. stated they are having some issues on their end. get your shit together microsoft. restarted the console and got 5 (yep, 5) down. 2nd post update test gave me a dl speed of 7 with an up of 16. they are still reporting issues on their end to me so hopefully it gets better once they get their shit lined out. probably due to everybody and their sister testing their speeds post update. lol.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Now it's time for Sony to step up their game. Same network, same cables, and Xbox Live maxes my 300Mb connection and PSN speeds always crawl.

I'm downloading a 3.89GB patch for Battlefield 4. I'm still seeing it fluctuate between 400kbps and 20Mbps on my 24Mb connection. Mostly it's sitting around 6-9Mbps. so no, it doesn't seem more consitent for me.

It doesn't appear to be crippling my entire network though, which has been happening since launch. I was able to load up 2 youtube videos on my PC, and instead of having trouble playing them, the Xbox download slowed down.

Withnail

Just to be pedantic, download speed is only effected by latency, or more accurately, the amount of hops to a server if you're downloading via TCP. Downloading over UDP has zero effect on your speeds if you have a larger latency.

Also, your DNS has zero effect on your download speed folks. DNS is only good for your responsiveness of a badly designed UI (Looking at you Xbox), as the extra latency of a slow DNS resolution will effect how long it takes for all the request domains to resolve.

Checking the MTU as mentioned in the PS4 threads is a very good suggestion as a too large MTU can lead to dropped packets or more fragmented packets which impacts your speeds significantly. The smaller the MTU the more whole packets it has to send for the same size data which increases overhead considerably and congests transfer mediums more.

Stop posting misinformation as fact. DNS is critical in connecting you to an optimal download server. Here's just one example article on the subject, there are lots more

https://robert.accettura.com/blog/2010/12/30/dns-and-cdn-performance-implications/

Leb

Let's say that, hypothetically, a network engineer were to read this post. I imagine this hypothetical network engineer might say something to the effect of, "Yes, this all appears to be in order. In no way would I characterize the information presented in this post as wildly inaccurate."

With a 120Mbps connection I was downloading at around 40 and that's gone up to 50. Was expecting closer to that 100 mark. This is still pretty weak

STEaMkb

It's not even open to interpretation, the PS4 has diabolical download speeds full stop.

literally skim through any of the "PSN is slow" threads and you'll see tons of people with no issues

If you visit a random Xbox community away from this forum, such as /r/xboxone, you will discover lots of people complaining every day about poor Xbox Live download speeds and the shoddy build of the Xbox One controllers. The disparity between what people cliam on this forum and what people say on other communities is truly bizarre.

Top Bottom