• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One downloads are now 40-80% faster

RedAssedApe

Banned
So you get the download speeds that you should be getting. Neither sony or ms should be praised for something like this. -_-

Teletraan1

Banned
I ran that benchmark and my current DNS was right for me. Probably why I have had no issues with speed on any device including PSN.

legbone

this is a bunch of crap. the one states everything is fine with the network on my end and theirs. i'm getting anywhere from 15 to 20 on the one's test (detailed network statistics). It's half as fast as before the update. Thanks microsoft, you screwed my speeds. Just got a test of 11. on a 200 down connection. getting 50 to 60 consistently on my ps pro. so now i am one of those people that their xbox dowload speeds are slower than their psn speeds. joy.

several resets and several tests later.... anywhere from 5 to 20 down. looks like downloading several hundred gigs of games is going to take the rest of the week. it's times like these that i'm thankful that i can do a harddrive swap in the ps4 and not depend on downloading everything again. sheesh.

Chiggs

If you visit a random Xbox community away from this forum, such as /r/xboxone, you will discover lots of people complaining every day about poor Xbox Live download speeds and the shoddy build of the Xbox One controllers. The disparity between what people cliam on this forum and what people say on other communities is truly bizarre.

I've really only found that to be the case with Poli-GAF.

I reverse my statement. Home now downloading lost odyssey.... not a smudge downloading.

Detail network stats :

0.62Mbps down ..... ummm i have 80 with my fast.com test via phone.

Reset the console too. Uh ohh

I reverse my statement. Home now downloading lost odyssey.... not a smudge downloading.

Detail network stats :

0.62Mbps down ..... ummm i have 80 with my fast.com test via phone.

Reset the console too. Uh ohh

Mine seemed oddly low. The speed while downloading Lost Odyssey was all over the place. Sitting around 20Mbps down and fluctuating up and down around the 60's and sometimes down to 3 - 4 Mbps. One time the download just dropped altogether for a moment and then resumed. So I paused that and downloaded the two pieces of DLC for LO and they downloaded at a consistent rate of around 60 - 70 Mbps. Still not even close to the 353Mbps down I get. Will try it again later tonight when I resume the download for Lost Odyssey.

Chiggs

@ 5:30PM in El Segundo, CA, on a Spectrum 100 cable internet package, here's what I get. For me, this is the fastest it has ever been, and faster than Steam or PSN...for me.

Mv0fq9q.jpg

And now toward the end...

BjJgXwV.jpg

Steam download for a laugh (after Murdered was downloaded on Xbox). Edit: MB/s duh.

A853fA1.jpg

Mine seemed oddly low. The speed while downloading Lost Odyssey was all over the place. Sitting around 20Mbps down and fluctuating up and down around the 60's and sometimes down to 3 - 4 Mbps. One time the download just dropped altogether for a moment and then resumed. So I paused that and downloaded the two pieces of DLC for LO and they downloaded at a consistent rate of around 60 - 70 Mbps. Still not even close to the 353Mbps down I get. Will try it again later tonight when I resume the download for Lost Odyssey.

Yeah im going to try to reconnect to the wireless because the detailed network stuff was really low compared to the usual 34-50 down.

And again all other devices on the network are fine. :)

Edit- kay it just did something and now.im at 60+ downloading.

Yay!!!

El_Chino

Do you keep your Xbox One on Instant On? If so, it may have automatically updated. Mine auto-updated at 4:30am EST. Just check your OS version number, which should be 10.0.14393.2152.
I have the same OS version but it says it was last updated on 12/10/16 and last checked for an update 12/14/16 at 1:29pm CST

Gamerman1

Still has more to do with your ISP and location. I have always got near max on PSN at about 110MB out of 119MB total. Been that way for more than a year. First BrightHouse now Spectrum in Tampa, FL. Xbox One S it goes between 93MB and 104MB which is fine by me.

Chiggs

Qft.
Almost always downloading with what is possible with my 50mbit connection on steam.

Must be nice. Any tips? I've switched servers and I cannot even come close to what I'm seeing on my Xbox right now. Steam is faster than PSN, but it's a distant second to what I'm seeing at the moment.

It's great and all but I've been downloading 400mb update for over an hour now and only at 50%, wtf? It should be downloaded in 5 minutes or less not 5 hours.

watdaeff4

Got the update.

Been downloading the Lost Odyssey for the last 2 hours.

Not seeing a difference on my end

inb4itsmyproblemnitMS

Chiggs

It's great and all but I've been downloading 400mb update for over an hour now and only at 50%, wtf? It should be downloaded in 5 minutes or less not 5 hours.

My update stalled at 80% and sat there for way too long before finally moving. And then came the installation. And then came the controller update.:(

Can't say I'm seeing much of a difference, either. In fact, my speeds right now seem a bit slower and less consistent than they usually are (though they're still admittedly pretty good in the grand scheme of things).

Got the update.

Been downloading the Lost Odyssey for the last 2 hours.

Not seeing a difference on my end

inb4itsmyproblemnitMS

Same. First time I've switched my Xbox One on in a month (To get LO free), and there's no apparent improvement that I can see.

Started the download again for Lost Odyssey after doing a full cold boot of the system (holding power for 10 seconds). It started at a rate of 20 - 40 Mbps and slowly climbed to a consistent high 70's - 90 Mbps. It reached 124Mbps at one point, but consistently hit over 100Mbps (though it did that before the update).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I started the LO download, and it was hitting 50mb/s. Then it hit 80% and dropped to 8mb/s and hasn't gone up since.

Paused and resumed it 5 times and that didn't make a difference either.

bzzt

Neo Member
@ 5:30PM in El Segundo, CA, on a Spectrum 100 cable internet package, here's what I get. For me, this is the fastest it has ever been, and faster than Steam or PSN...for me.

And now toward the end...

Steam download for a laugh (after Murdered was downloaded on Xbox).

A853fA1.jpg

Am I missing something? 14MB/s is 112Mb/s. Steam is much faster than Xbox in your case.

Chiggs

Am I missing something? 14MB/s is 112Mb/s. Steam is much faster than Xbox in your case.

No, I think I missed that.

It seems to be fluctuating from 5-7, though (53%). Seriously, any Steam tips would be mucho appreciated. I asked in an earlier post.

Yep, here we go...the predictable Steam drop. Blah.

mNEb8Bl.jpg

dLMN8R

Will it affect Windows Store's download speed?

Hey there, I work on the Windows Store.

We share knowledge and learnings with each other, and we share back-end infrastructure, but for the moment the specific improvements mentioned here for Xbox are just for Xbox.

On the PC side of things, the Anniversary Update released a few months ago includes a number of improvements to download speeds by using techniques which are similar to what the Xbox One is introducing here.

cackhyena

Xbox downloads are only eclipsed in speeds by Steam for me. It's been that way since day one on the XB1 and I love it. PS4 has always been shit, but unless I'm going nuts (not out of the realm of possibility) there's been an appreciable upgrade in dl speeds on the Pro for me.

HardRojo

SN1Gjc3.jpg

Mines just fine. Took me an hour for Uc4. Nothing wrong with psn. Never had been for me in UK. Pro does seem quicker though.

Holy fuck my download speed used to be close to 50 mb and upload speed around 8, now I got 10 mb for download and 1.5 for upload :( Internet in my county fucking sucks I swear.

I have 50 mbps and the speed was already quite good on WiFi compared to PS4. Wired speed was same mostly. Let's see if I get that 40% increase.

Dueck

Banned
I haven't noticed an improvement over wifi. Sadly my only option. It's called 100mbps but the actual speed clicks in at half of that, though the upload is accurate.

For a 200 Mb hard wired connection it hovered around 45-55 Mb. So about normal I guess. LO did download pretty quick for me though.

Ushay

Wow they really delivered on this, I thought it was just fluff.

Tested with Lost Odyssey, and the download was much faster than usual, I'm on a 35MB connection (UK). Lot more consistent too, no spikey drops like it usually does (although this can be attributed to the ISP level).

I upgraded to a One S about two weeks ago and my download speeds have been atrocious since. Due to the area I live in they generally top out at 10mbs (which believe me, are good), but it's been fluctuating between 400k and 2mbs since (or dropping out altogether).

All other devices seem fine and as far as i'm aware nothing has really changed on the network side, so not really sure why the new Xbox would be so bad.

Downloaded the update this morning and it didn't seem to do anything to the speeds, so in a bit of a quandry.

Going to change the DNS later and see if that makes a difference, but if anyone else has experienced anything similar when doing the upgrade i'd be intrigued to find out.

fast_taker

we should all admit that MS is doing quite a great job improving the X1 since launch. If only they had all these features implemented on day one....

jesu

I wish they could add a bandwidth limiter.
As it is my Xbox usually sucks up all my households available bandwidth, which isn't great in the first place.
My router can't do it either :(

Top Bottom