• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Registers Trademark For Image Of Super Famicom Controller

//ARCANUM

Looks like Nintendo has filed a trademark for the image of the super famicom controller: http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...or-the-image-of-the-super-famicom-controller/

Earlier this month, Nintendo registered a new Japanese trademark for the image of the Super Famicom controller. It was officially filed on December 5.

The trademark has Japanese blogs filled to the brim with speculation that it could have something to do with a potential SNES Classic Edition. With the success of the NES Classic Edition, that may not be out of the question. Only time will tell if this is a protective filing or something more.

This might be related to this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1327736 (controller clones vanishing, possible C&Ds?)

Another theory is we could be on our way to an SNES Classic. But would a trademark for the controller be necessary in any way for this?

Anyone with trademark history/knowledge want to chime in on what this could mean?

I couldn't find a thread for this, if already posted, please take my 1UPs.

spekkeh

Banned
100%. My first console!

NES was my first console (technically C64 but it was also kind of a computer), but SNES is where it's at. If they have just a fraction of the classic games of the NES classic, this thing will sell more than Switch the first year.

Famassu

A SNES Classic Edition would have to have, like, a hundred games and even then it would be disappointing how many classics would be missed. Only having ~30 games like NES Classic would be a travesty, unless they made a way to download more.

Michael-Cera-Is-Excited-Things-Are-Finally-Happening-On-Arrested-Development.gif

While I'd pick up a NES classic only if it were dirt cheap, simply for nostalgia, the SNES is (along with the Megadrive) pretty much the oldest retro system I consider to have truly timeless games that hold up to this day.

If they make one (assuming Europe got the correct design of it, and we don't get lumbered with the hideous American SNES), I'd be there day one.

Now a SNES classic is something I would buy.

Totally.

I got my sister and her family the NES for Christmas. After about an hour messing with it yesterday I realized I have even less interest in revisiting those games in that format than I thought I did.

An SNES classic, though. With the right games I would be all about that.

Skeletos311

I forgot about them shuttung down the clone controllers. That makes this even more interesting. They're definitely doing something SNES related.

jax

Banned
SNES classic but for the love of god just make it a mini USB so I can actually buy an extension cord for it for less than $96

Nairume

Banned
So what games would make the cut on an snes classic?
Honestly, the safest bets based on the publishers present for the NES Classic (which absolutely could change for a future SNES Classic and any subsequent throwback systems) would probably look like this.

Nintendo:
1) Donkey Kong Country 1
2) Donkey Kong Country 2
3) Donkey Kong Country 3
4) Earthbound
5) F-Zero
6) Kirby's Dream Land 3
7) Kirby's Dream Course
8) Kirby Super Star
9) Link to the Past
10) Mario Kart
11) Mario RPG
12) Mario World
13) Pilotwings
14) Super Metroid
15) Super Punch-Out

No Starfox or Yoshi due SuperFX chip issues. Also worth noting that once you take out licensed stuff, the FX chip stuff, and stuff that relies on peripherals, you'd start really scraping the barrel to get more Nintendo games out of this library.

Capcom:
16) Final Fight 2/3 (Double Dragon scenario where they skip the iconic one due to FF1 not having multiplayer)
17) Mega Man X
18) Super Ghosts and Goblins
19) Street Fighter 2/Super Street Fighter 2 (either the iconic one or the more "complete" one, not Turbo either way)

Konami:
20) Axelay
21) Contra 3
22) Gradius 3
23) Legend of the Mystical Ninja
24) Super Bomberman (or Dracula X if Konami doesn't still want to acknowledge Hudson)
25) Super Castlevania

Namco:
26) Pac-Man 2
(Namco doesn't really have a lot of other obvious options here :p)

SquareEnix:
27) Actraiser
28 & 29) Final Fantasy 4/Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana (but only two of them)

Tecmo:
30) Tecmo Super Bowl

kirby_fox

Banned
Sounds like it's virtual console related to me.

This was my thought. The fact it's an image they're trademarking, they wouldn't do that just for an SNES classic. If anything that would be for a focus on using the controller in imagery, and the VC makes sense.

If they have TMs for the other controller images, or they slowly pop up- this could just be a way to brand things. Hell, we may see classic controller options for Switch.

//ARCANUM

This was my thought. The fact it's an image they're trademarking, they wouldn't do that just for an SNES classic. If anything that would be for a focus on using the controller in imagery, and the VC makes sense.

If they have TMs for the other controller images, or they slowly pop up- this could just be a way to brand things. Hell, we may see classic controller options for Switch.

I'd be all about some officially released classic controller options for VC. But I'm getting the feeling with Switch that they're trying to avoid the "mess" of controllers and cords that the Wii/Wii U became.

Top Bottom