• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rhianna Pratchett, who is a writer, not an actress, says farewell to Lara Croft

dex3108

So, I'm packing up my climbing axe plus a little venison jerky for the road, and bidding a fond farewell to Lara. Onwards to new adventures!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/816370640387244032[/tweet]

Guess the next game's getting a time jump to an older Lara?

edit: I'm dumb. For some reason I jumped to her being the actress. Probably because it says "farewell to Lara" instead of "farewell to Tomb Raider"

hawk2025

Excellent news. Her performance was substandard.

"That thaarr, over thaarrr"

Edit: oops, confused the writer with the actress.

You could rewrite the post and keep the exact same spirit, though. The writing only decreased in quality for Rise with the baffling White Savior story.

No disrespect to her but as someone who found Lara's character almost as offensively boring as the rest of the cast I'm excited to see what someone new can bring to try and get me to like this series more

Rymuth

Eiaha.gif

Lime

I hope the same for the voice director and whoever was voicing and acting as Lara. Pratchett's writing was incredibly disappointing, but it was also the execution and delivery of her work that dragged everything down to a nauseating level

bryanee

I'd of thought her surname would of given away what she did in Tomb Raider. The voice actress is Camilla Luddington.

But yeah the stories in the TR reboot games are not good at all so i welcome the change.

RK128

I don't know if I should be happy that she is moving on from the reboot series, as the games writing (specifically the original Tomb Raider 2013) was awful. I honestly think it was because she butted heads with the developers and it resulted in a story that really doesn't make sense (she is an action hero in-game but story has repeatedly say 'I can do this' over and over).

I hope that if she did write for the Edios Montreal TR, that she was on a level-playing field with the developers and they worked out a story that makes sense both in-game and within the story she is writing. But I wish her the best for any future projects she works on.

DylanEno

After that Ariana Grande final fantasy thread, I legit thought for a moment they were bringing Rihanna onto the next tomb raider

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well, the series can't get any worse in the writing department, so I guess this is good news.

hawk2025

I don't know if I should be happy that she is moving on from the reboot series, as the games writing (specifically the original Tomb Raider 2013) was awful. I honestly think it was because she butted heads with the developers and it resulted in a story that really doesn't make sense (she is an action hero in-game but story has repeatedly say 'I can do this' over and over).

I hope that if she did write for the Edios Montreal TR, that she was on a level-playing field with the developers and they worked out a story that makes sense both in-game and within the story she is writing. But I wish her the best for any future projects she works on.

I'm willing to give the writing the benefit of the doubt along these lines for TR2013.

Not so with Rise. The core of the plot is rotten in that one.

ShutterMunster

Writing great stories for video games is tough stuff. I appreciate what she brought to Tomb Raider. I've been critical of the narrative in those games but they were ambitious and nailed the mark more than they missed.

Best of luck to her in the future!

marrec

Banned
Rihanna is a talented writer but be it the nature of Video Game writing or some other circumstance, she was never really able to make the new Tomb Raider games interesting. AAA VG writing is always going to be more committee based than not so maybe she just needs to stick to smaller projects or have more creative influence over the process.

Stranya

Thank fuck. I don't know what her other writing is like, so I won't generalise about that, but I thought the writing in Tomb Raider and Rise was appalling.

Banned
Guess the next game's getting a time jump to an older Lara?

edit: I'm dumb. For some reason I jumped to her being the actress. Probably because it says "farewell to Lara" instead of "farewell to Tomb Raider"

Excellent news. Her performance was substandard.

"That thaarr, over thaarrr"

Edit: oops, confused the writer with the actress.

You could rewrite the post and keep the exact same spirit, though. The writing only decreased in quality for Rise with the baffling White Savior story.
Smh.

Her writing of the new Lara was good. The rest of the characters and the stories in general were subpar. But I wish her the best of luck.

Nothing to do with the thread and I wish this lady writet nothing but success, but I would so love a Tomb Raider game in which Lara is older, much older and wiser and like some Dark Knight Returns type ish.

Lara could pull off some shit like that.

Demoskinos

I really liked the last two Tomb Raider games so this is sad news for me. :( Hopefully whoever they get to Lara doesn't fuck up what they did with the last two games.

Top Bottom