• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got an email saying my Sony Entertainment Network account sign-in id changed...

But I didn't change my account. Now when I try to log in to any Playstation store or whatever it says my email address has no account associated with it.

What do I do?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So we need to sticky this. You were hacked and you didn't have 2 factor auth activated. Thread can be closed.

NewDust

Change the password on your original email... Then contact sony that your accoint got compremised. Keep SN ready, as well as your original e-mail and serial number of the device you created the account on.

And before I forget... Enable 2fa and audit your payment providers the coming weeks.

Ibuki

Banned
Contact Sony Support as soon as you can, also if you had a credit card attached I would check the statement.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No matter how many of these threads we have, you still have people like OP not bothering to protect their account with two factor authorization.

I just don't get it.

WITHE1982

Thread can be closed? That's it? I'm fucked and lost my account?

Edit: Sorry I'm just frustrated.

Just contact Sony support. As long as you have serial numbers and all account details you should be golden.

Also look into changing any and all accounts that use the same password... or even the ones that don't.

...and please, for the love of God enable 2FA when you get your account back.

Good luck OP.

edit: maybe check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if any of your accounts have been compromised.

Stopdoor

Thread can be closed? That's it? I'm fucked and lost my account?

Edit: Sorry I'm just frustrated.

These threads have just been pretty common lately, people would probably say you could read any of the others for advice because they're sick of regurgitating the same advice even if they want to be helpful. And half the time people have to be fished for the basic question "...Did you contact Sony support?" which is more of a chore every time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn, some shitty replies to a dude who just had his account compromised.
We get these every single day. Like twice or more. It should be standard at this point to have 2FA just in case and a unique password for Psn.

LakeEarth

Call Sony support, write down your system's serial number while you're waiting on hold, and change your password and turn on 2FA when you regain control.

Can someone shed a bit more light on the 2FA topic for Sony? I just bought a pro last month and have PS Plus so I'm new to all of this. Is this something I need to activate somewhere?

I feel like i hear about hacked PSN accounts a lot lately......

cHinzo

It's just stupid how easy it is for people to get hacked. That shit shouldn't happen, even without 2FA lol.

So we need to sticky this. You were hacked and you didn't have 2 factor auth activated. Thread can be closed.

Call Sony support man. Only thing you can do. Everyone else here will give you the same replies.

A neogaf thread cant do shit about it, its sony you need to be trying to communicate with right now.

Brutal but 100% true.

Damn, some shitty replies to a dude who just had his account compromised.

These kind of threads are kind of like the "it's my birthday" threads (except they're about a bad thing, of course).

Call Sony support man. Only thing you can do. Everyone else here will give you the same replies.

It was just the assholish response that pissed me off. I was checking the Playstation site but couldn't find info on how to reset my account and they buried the contact number. Calling them has taken care of the issue and I'm enabling 2FA right now.

I feel like sony should do more to let people know about 2fa. We can all lecture people about how they should know if they're on gaf but that doesn't do much for people who aren't.

N° 2048

I feel like sony should do more to let people know about 2fa. We can all lecture people about how they should know if they're on gaf but that doesn't do much for people who aren't.

lol they did. There was a notification on every PS4 when it launched. That's how I knew it launched. I bet a lot people just ignored it.
They also put it all over social media.

Dunkley

It's just stupid how easy it is for people to get hacked. That shit shouldn't happen, even without 2FA lol.

Given how much it does tho Sony should push users to utilize 2FA, pull a Google and have a pop up about account protection to inform people 2FA is even a thing on PSN now.

I have it activated since it's out but were it not for GAF I'd be none the wiser about being available for PSN by now.

lol they did. There was a notification on every PS4 when it launched. That's how I knew it launched. I bet a lot people just ignored it.
They also put it all over social media.

Except maybe that they did and I missed it. I only saw it was available for some regions but never was informed when it was for mine.

pswii60

No matter how many of these threads we have, you still have people like OP not bothering to protect their account with two factor authorization.

I just don't get it.

People tend to ignore threads like that until it happens to them, it's human nature so don't be so confused.

I'm sure there's a ton of actions you don't take in other parts of your life that might compromise your security too. What kind of locks do you have on your house? Is your alarm hooked up to a security response team? Do you have CCTV? etc. Well I would expect probably not all of these things, especially if you live in a low crime area, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go victim blaming if you get broken in to.

It's up to Sony to make 2-step verification mandatory, and for the victim blaming to stop.

Ponn

Banned
You know its funny it literally says in the 1st step under Sony PSN support to create a thread on NeoGAF asking for help. Crazy shit but explains why we get these threads every week.

thefro

Why the heck doesn't every account require 2FA if you try to change your account from an IP in another country?

The system ought to automatically flag that like if I suddenly started using my credit card in Russia or Africa 2 hours after I use it in the US.

That would solve a billion problems.

hemo memo

Gold Member
They fixed it with 2fa though? The only thing is that it's just sms verification, which can be a problem if you don't have a cell, or have to pay for incoming texts.

No they didn't. Unless they make it mandatory it's not an excuse and it's dumb to put the blame on the user everytime. It's not like 2 threads in a year this shit happen every week on here. That's only people we know on GAF think of the situation for others.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Will two-factor authentication interfere with the auto-login on the spare PS3 my wife uses for streaming and blue rays?

I can't actually get the 2fa to work. The texts take like 2 hours to come through when I go through authentication and by then the page is obviously long timed out. No issue like this with other services using 2fa

MrToast

This happened to me a few weeks ago, ever since I've been activating 2FA on anything and everything to prevent it happening ever again.

I know one reason alot of people still do not have 2 factor on is because it is still set up to just send a text instead of it being a phone call or email that they send. Many would use it if they just had the option for the phone call.

NewDust

No they didn't. Unless they make it mandatory it's not an excuse and it's dumb to put the blame on the user everytime. It's not like 2 threads in a year this shit happen every week on here. That's only people we know on GAF think of the situation for others.

Like I said, in some cases 2fa isn't an option, and it's the same reason it isn't mandatory on xbox or steam. I agree there are a lot of threads of this happening on PSN, but it's not due to some security breach, but rather accounts being phished, cracked or being compromised in other leaks.

Ponn

Banned
I know one reason alot of people still do not have 2 factor on is because it is still set up to just send a text instead of it being a phone call or email that they send. Many would use it if they just had the option for the phone call.

That's a bullshit lazy excuse, they give you an offline code you can use during setup and you can set up a free google voice account. The excuse is L A Z I N E S S.

Top Bottom