• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got an email saying my Sony Entertainment Network account sign-in id changed...

The Sony security system is uter trash.
No other company had the same issue as Sony had in 2011, and you see more threads about Sony users being hacked than MS or Nintendo :p

You miss all those FIFA hacks on XBL when the X360 was the biggest platform?

I'm only showing facts, and the huge numbers on ppl being hacked everyday since 2011 tells enough.

You are the only one pretending here :p

You mean the huge number of people using duplicate passwords who were victims of other data breaches and had no 2FA enabled.

You create a thread on something that happens and is preventable and gets the same EXACT answers in every thread created every week. You get what you get.

Ok but you make it sound like you're the one who's being inconvenienced. Surely you can understand why that kind of tone is aggravating to the op.

Rellik

we really need an "Enable 2 factor auth NOW" sticky thread.

With a small note to generate and keep your backup codes. I didn't and then locked myself out my account by changing my number because I'm stupid.

Thankfully Sony were good to me and had me send them photo ID and proof that the number belonged to me and they deactivated my 2FA for me.

I now have my backup codes stored in multiple places.

DieH@rd

Banned
Remember GAF, when you add two way authentication to PSN, GO TO WEB INTERFACE AND MAKE SURE IT IS REALLY ACTIVE.

Call Sony and use 2f, op.

Didn't care at first since I have a unique PSN password for my account and Sony never emails me marketing shit.

Made a u-turn when I stumbled upon 3 forums on reddit where cracked accounts are posted weekly so they can copy your download library for free games.

crimilde

Banned
I'm just gonna leave this here. It's from 2015 but I imagine the situation is still more or less the same.
A lot of people are not securing their accounts enough or are using really weak passwords.

1433198293-password-info.jpg

TalonJH

Man seeing these threads pop up often has me worried.

I guess it's time

Thanks

Out of curiosity, why haven't you enabled it? What was your opinion of 2 step before actually enabling it? To be honest, you should have 2 Step enabled on any account you can. I had my Team Viewer account compromised last year. I'm interested in how we can help people realize that it's important and alleviate some fear some people have of it.

Kayant

I'm only showing facts, and the huge numbers on ppl being hacked everyday since 2011 tells enough.

You are the only one pretending here :p
"Facts" I don't think you know what facts are if you're equating the two to be any way near the same.

Cynar

Damn, some shitty replies to a dude who just had his account compromised.
Not really. If you're on GAF you should be aware of 2FA. You have to accept some responsibility for not securing your account. It's really straight forward what to do and to contact Sony. These posts just muddy up the forum when all we need is one thread about it.
Any account that you can use 2FA on should have it enabled.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330813

6.2M people who likely wouldn't have known before the last couple months (like i didn't, until this thread). Have some empathy dude.

No, I have empathy for new owners. I already said it should be stickied for them.

By the same token Sony should encourage 2FA when you're setting up your account. Hell, they should be pushing a notification to all users when they turn their machine on.

xviper

i haven't activated my 2 step verification sign up yet, is it that important ?? what happens if i didn't activated it ??

do i have to keep entering a code everytime i turn on my ps4 and use my account ?

Linkedin, Skype, Adultfriendfinder, Ashley Madison. Need I go on? Oh and BTW who owns Skype? (And I don't even think that weird hole that can compromise your entire Microsoft account is fully fixed yet.)
I'm still upset about my Ashley Madison account getting hacked.

Reckheim

i haven't activated my 2 step verification sign up yet, is it that important ?? what happens if i didn't activated it ??

do i have to keep entering a code everytime i turn on my ps4 and use my account ?

If someone wants to change the password they have to first type in a code that is send to your phone/email.

Enable it right away.

TalonJH

No, you don't have to enter it every time you turn on your PS4. After that, you only need it to log into new machines and using the web store. 2 Step is important for extra security of all your online accounts including your email, online banking, ect.

NewDust

No, I have empathy for new owners. I already said it should be stickied for them.

By the same token Sony should encourage 2FA when you're setting up your account. Hell, they should be pushing a notification to all users when they turn their machine on.

I think Sony should force you to opt-in, but still give you the opportunity to opt-out, but only if you give a reason (not right now, I don't know how, I don't have cell, etc) it could help them pinpoint why users don't activate it by themeselves and how to reach them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have 2FA set up on my own account, but I just got a text message from the same number as my Psn codes, but it said "your EA security code is xxxxx"

Any idea what that is? I'm not even at home at the moment

Trace

Banned
I have 2FA set up on my own account, but I just got a text message from the same number as my Psn codes, but it said "your EA security code is xxxxx"

You have 2FA set up on your Origin account, someone tried to log into it. A lot of the times the different companies will send from the same "text" service afaik.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Only when you login for the first time I think it protects your account from being accessible just with your username and password. Those are easily gotten via methods like key loggers, having access to your enail address and what not.

None of these cases are actually because Sony was "hacked"

All will be revealed here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/account-security/2-step-verification/

Yes it's important. If you don't activate it your are more likely to have your account compromised and any associated credit card can be used freely by the scammer. No you don't have to do it every time you log in on your PS4, but you will have to do it every time you sign in to the PS Store on the internet from a new computer.

xviper

If someone wants to change the password they have to first type in a code that is send to your phone/email.

Enable it right away.

i may not be able to access the Email i registered my ID with because i need to enter my Replacement email and i put a false one, that was like 6 years ago

if i enabled 2 step, do i have to enter my email ?

TalonJH

Do you have 2 step set up on your EA account? It sounds like someone has your EA account password. You are receiving it through the save number because a lot of text services us the same number.

i may not be able to access the Email i registered my ID with because i need to enter my Replacement email and i put a false one, that was like 6 years ago

if i enabled 2 step, do i have to enter my email ?

You should probably take the time to change the email to one you actually have access to anyway. If someone stole your account, you could have problems reclaiming it because of it. Don't send things to false emails. Create secondary emails and send it to them if you don't want anything attached to your main accounts.

xviper

Only when you login for the first time I think it protects your account from being accessible just with your username and password. Those are easily gotten via methods like key loggers, having access to your enail address and what not.

None of these cases are actually because Sony was "hacked"

5 years ago my account was ACTUALLY hacked on ps3, i was playing GTA 4 online and i added some guy on the PS3 to my friends list and the next day my harddrive has been corrupted, got it fixed and when i came to sign in with my ID i found out that the password has been changed

Vamphuntr

Sorry you got your account stolen OP. We can't really do anything for you unfortunately, we're not Sony's Customer support. You have to contact them to get your account back. You better not read the thread though most people are jerks in here.

I got hacked on PSN yesterday too.

I've never been hacked before -- ever. I've had XBL, Nintendo ID, Steam etc. forever. It's OK to critique sony sometimes guys.

sony has serious issues with this. Hopefully the hackers don't bypass the two-step process.

NewDust

I've never been hacked before -- ever. I've had XBL, Nintendo ID, Steam etc. forever. It's OK to critique sony sometimes guys.

sony has serious issues with this. Hopefully the hackers don't bypass the two-step process.

Yup sony has serious issues with customers not activating 2FA.

xviper

Do you have 2 step set up on your EA account? It sounds like someone has your EA account password. You are receiving it through the save number because a lot of text services us the same number.

You should probably take the time to change the email to one you actually have access to anyway. If someone stole your account, you could have problems reclaiming it because of it. Don't send things to false emails. Create secondary emails and send it to them if you don't want anything attached to your main accounts.

i hate emails, even if i made a new email and made with it a secondary email, my secondary email needs a secondary email, and my secondary's secondary email needs a secondary email...Etc

RedAssedApe

Banned
haha first few posts...brutal

the first thing you do shouldnt be to post on gaf though

i can't remember if they did or not but sony should probably occasionally send everyone an auto notification on psn about 2fa. that'd actually be a useful "tip" instead of those random "discover" notifications you get the first time you login to psn

It would probably help if you found out which one of your accounts were hacked using one of the sites that will tell you. As if you think you were hacked on PSN you're likely mistaken. Logging on with your credentials obtained from elsewhere is not a hack.

Top Bottom