• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got an email saying my Sony Entertainment Network account sign-in id changed...

antibolo

Banned
You don't see much threads from Microsoft or Nintendo users being hacked.
Sony is to blame, 2011 was not enough looks like.

No, all this tells us is that PSN accounts are a more frequent target of account phishers. Probably because it's the most popular platform worldwide among those three, including countries where those account phishers live.

Please stop pretending that you know anything about computer security.

This shit right here. Its not Sony's fault that people have shitty passwords and no TFA enabled.

But how do you communicate that to the people who dont visit gaming sites or neogaf? That part is Sonys fault.

They could have easily put a damn link on your ps4 dashboard as you log in saying: Turn on TFA here and make your account more secure! or something like that.

There are ways to make it obvious, which they did not.

Shoeless

Will two-factor authentication interfere with the auto-login on the spare PS3 my wife uses for streaming and blue rays?

Only once, I believe. When you enable 2FA, your consoles will require one phone verification, just to be sure, but after that, auto log-in works the way it always does.

NewDust

I wish I could figure out why they take so long to come through for me.

Any other UK folk have this problem?

Can you force your phone to recheck for texts? Usually you can do that by setting your phone to flight mode/disable cellular and then re-enable it.

So disable cellular, request 2fa, re-enable cellular.

DooMAGE

No, all this tells us is that PSN accounts are a more frequent target of account phishers.

Please stop pretending that you know anything about computer security.

I'm only showing facts, and the huge numbers on ppl being hacked everyday since 2011 tells enough.

You are the only one pretending here :p

Ponn

Banned
But how do you communicate that to the people who dont visit gaming sites or neogaf? That part is Sonys fault.

They could have easily put a damn link on your ps4 dashboard as you log in saying: Turn on TFA here and make your account more secure! or something like that.

They absolutely did when it launched for a good month, people were exclaiming then how they were making a point to say it was available. They made announcements, I got notified when I logged into PSN and a message. It human nature of not paying attention to shit and announcements like this because people don't give a shit about it till shit happens to them. It's just another blurb to click past real quick. The people that actually cared have already set up, what you have left are the "Why did no one else tell me!" with the emails teliing them sitting in their trash box.

chrislowe

No matter how many of these threads we have, you still have people like OP not bothering to protect their account with two factor authorization.

I just don't get it.

Then again I read stories about cloning sim cards aswell so its not totally safe anyway with 2 factor..

And for the record jerks, I had 2FA enabled on the email account tied to my PSN account and my EA account. I just happened to space on my PSN account for whatever reason.

Insulting and attacking people though is really counter productive and makes this community feel more toxic than it used to.

Can you force your phone to recheck for texts? Usually you can do that by setting your phone to flight mode/disable cellular and then re-enable it.

So disable cellular, request 2fa, re-enable cellular.

I will definitely look at this man, cheers for the reply! That's a few times now I've tried the run through for the setup and the texts just don't arrive for a few hours.

They absolutely did when it launched for a good month, people were exclaiming then how they were making a point to say it was available. They made announcements, I got notified when I logged into PSN and a message. It human nature of not paying attention to shit and announcements like this because people don't give a shit about it till shit happens to them. It's just another blurb to click past real quick. The people that actually cared have already set up, what you have left are the "Why did no one else tell me!" with the emails teliing them sitting in their trash box.

Ive never seen any notifications on my ps4 about this. i did it cause i come on neogaf and read about it.

weekev

Banned
I created the last thread on this cause I was hacked. For the love of god enable 2fa people, please.

To OP Sony were great with mine, refunded the £30 the hacker had transferred from PayPal and made sure 2fa was all set up. Can't fault their response.

TAS

I never had it active before but now I do lol. In regards to 2 step authorization, does Sony send you a new code every time you do a new sign-in or is the code they send you originally the one you use repeatedly?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
But I didn't change my account. Now when I try to log in to any Playstation store or whatever it says my email address has no account associated with it.

What do I do?

I mean....fucking call Sony support.

edit: I see that you did, but how was this even a question?

And for the record jerks, I had 2FA enabled on the email account tied to my PSN account and my EA account. I just happened to space on my PSN account for whatever reason.

Insulting and attacking people though is really counter productive and makes this community feel more toxic than it used to.

Don't worry about it. Not all of us are assholes whose only concern is sonys rep.

DooMAGE

I created the last thread on this cause I was hacked. For the love of god enable 2fa people, please.

To OP Sony were great with mine, refunded the £30 the hacker had transferred from PayPal and made sure 2fa was all set up. Can't fault their response.

NewDust

I never had it active before but now I do lol. In regards to 2 step authorization, does Sony send you a new code every time you do a new sign-in or is the code they send you originally the one you use repeatedly?

Only first logins on a new device should prompt a text. Subsequent logins will be authorized. Only on PC and mobile, sometimes cookies get deleted and could prompt a new 2fa text.

NewDust

But did you have 2fa actived on your PSN account? Hope you get it resolved OP.

TalonJH

They sent everyone a message in the "From Playstation" or "Discovery" notifications and it pops up in the "What's New" section from time to time(even more if you follow them. You'll also notice them tweeting about it now and again.

FhGGr7p.png
vPwSekW.png

I don't think i've seen any emails about it but they may not send them to people that already have it enabled.

Edit: Let's name call people that mad a mistake.

Cmagus

Sucks man but yeah get that 2FA on after you contact them. Honestly they should just make every primary account enable it.

DooMAGE

He's right though. Almost all "hacks" are because people reuse terrible passwords and think they won't be targeted.

The Sony security system is uter trash.
No other company had the same issue as Sony had in 2011, and you see more threads about Sony users being hacked than MS or Nintendo :p

Jotaka

No other company had the same issue as Sony had in 2011, and you see more threads about Sony users being hacked than MS or Nintendo :p

Guess what... Because most people has a playstation than a xbox or nintendo...

Mendrox

I'm only showing facts, and the huge numbers on ppl being hacked everyday since 2011 tells enough.

You are the only one pretending here :p

So where are your facts? Some people in here shouldn't talk about IT security if they don't know shit about that. 2011 is another story, but this is just people using compromised passwords on non activated 2 factor accounts. People use their same passwords on many sites. And yes there are many Xbox Live "hacks" - see all the FIFA threads last year or the year before that even.

That is not true. Use the NeoGAF search engine and you will see that so many peoples Xbox Live accounts got compromised for FIFA packs.

Harlock

Someone at Player 1 Podcast had this problem. The guy need to try 3 people different from Sony support until get one good who helped.

MageBoySA

Linkedin, Skype, Adultfriendfinder, Ashley Madison. Need I go on? Oh and BTW who owns Skype? (And I don't even think that weird hole that can compromise your entire Microsoft account is fully fixed yet.)

Dmonzy

You keep saying the same thing without any facts to back it up, but as said before: "hackers" target popular systems because they have the highest chance of getting someone. Last gen there were a lot of small hacks on the xbox 360 (much more than ps3). Now it's reversed. And lol no one ever cares to target nintendo.

Trace

Banned

Have you seen https://haveibeenpwned.com/ ? Sony's hack isn't some sort of statistical anomaly, my logins have been hacked 9 separate times through different sites. As long as you're changing passwords regularly and have 2FA set up you're usually fine though.

Top Bottom