• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch has digital triggers... so no GCN VC?

Scrawnton

It is hard to get a definite answer on this. All of the rumors leading up to this even said that Switch would have analog triggers and that GCN virtual console is on its way with Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Smash Bros. Melee on their way...

.... well did the leaks/rumors get us hyped for nothing? Jose Otero (IGN) says on Twitter that the Joycon triggers are digital and not analog. How is it possible for Nintendo to do GameCube Virtual Console on Switch if the triggers are digita?

Is there just general confusion going around or is the dream of GCN Virtual Console dead before Switch even launches?

UPDATE: Neogaf member who went hands-on with Switch confirms that joycon and pro controller have digital triggers:

I played all configurations of the switch today, and I can confirm for you guys that none of the control options have analogue triggers.

All controllers have digital triggers.

The reason for the confusion up until this point is probably that the triggers on the joycon have a little bit of "give" before the button is pressed. This could have lead some people to think that they may have been analogue. However, they are not.

The triggers on the pro controller are also distinctly digital.

Sorry folks!

(If it's any consolation, the pro controller is really fucking good)

Zomba13

Well it implemented the spirit of the Gamecube handle (the most important innovation the Gamecube brought) so everything should be ok.

Do the Pro controllers have analog? They may just require those for GCN if so. Most VC games on Wii can't be played with a Wii Remote, so it's not unprecedented to require an otherwise optional accessory.

TheMoon

It is hard to get a definite answer on this. All of the rumors leading up to this even said that Switch would have analog triggers and that GCN virtual console is on its way with Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Super Smash Bros. Melee on their way...

.... well did the leaks/rumors get us hyped for nothing? Jose Otero (IGN) says on Twitter that the Joycon triggers are digital and not analog. How is it possible for Nintendo to do GameCube Virtual Console on Switch if the triggers are digita?

Is there just general confusion going around or is the dream of GCN Virtual Console dead before Switch even launches?

Pro Controller is analogue. Joy Con are not pure digital, might be different kind of analogue. Would not take this as confirmed in any way right now. It's apparently hard to tell on the JoyCon but obvious analogue on Pro.

Red Devil

Do the Pro controllers have analog? They may just require those for GCN if so. Most VC games on Wii can't be played with a Wii Remote, so it's not unprecedented to require an otherwise optional accessory.

They don't either apparently, saving the d-pad the inputs are all the same.

Maybe the Pro Controller has analog triggers or Gamecube USB adapter support is coming?

I'm not going to use the Joycons so it doesn't bother me too much.

oatmeal

Banned
The cheap, interchangeable joy cons was such a great idea...shame someone was like "Or, we could add ice cubes?"

We'll get Gamecube VC, but it'll be like 2 years into the Switch's lifecycle, with only like 3 games to start before getting another game every 6-9 months for the remaining year of the Switch's lifecycle.

Pro Controller is analogue. Joy Con are not pure digital, might be different kind of analogue. Would not take this as confirmed in any way right now. It's apparently hard to tell on the JoyCon but obvious analogue on Pro.

What proof do you have that the Pro triggers are analog?

Dunno how they keep getting away with no analog triggers.

Absolutely ridiculous considering one of their top exclusives is a racing game.

Scrawnton

People on reddit who claim to be at the european hands-on events are saying the pro controller is digital as well.

DatAhmedz

Maybe they could find a way to implement a half/full press of the triggers with a combination of the analog stick clicks?

Something to keep the "GameCube VC on the go" dream alive ;;

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not necessarily, it's possible that the joycon triggers are analog and if not then Nintendo could easily release a Gamecube Joycon, they will probably end up doing it for Smash Switch.

Well it implemented the spirit of the Gamecube handle (the most important innovation the Gamecube brought) so everything should be ok.

I just burst out laughing when they mention it as out of all the thing they could have mention about the Gamecube they chose that.

Mario Kart doesn't use the triggers for driving, it's always been the A button with the triggers being used for drifting and items.

splattered

Oh c'mon you guys know better since the reveal, it'll be an eventual additional controller we have to buy for $80 just to play classic VC games with GC compatibility so generously included. :p

Joqu

Gonna quote myself from another thread here

Hm. I'm sure this would be awkward for some games but I'm thinking Sunshine here in particular, you guys think they could simulate analog triggers using Gyro? Like, what if in Super Mario Sunshine you'd lean the Switch / joycons forward slightly for a stronger stream of water and backwards for a weaker one? I think that'd be pretty intuitive still.

Not saying it's a great idea or anything, but I'm curious to know if it could feel like an okay solution to you guys.

Of course they could release special Joycons and the Pro controller apparently has proper analog triggers, but I don't know if GCN VC could happen if they couldn't get around the digital triggers on the default controller.

-shadow-

Most games don't use them anyway, so most games are save right there. Super Mario Sunshine on the other hand will be interesting.

If you let the A button go in Mario Kart, than you are playing the game wrong.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering this was a Eurogamer-reported rumour (aside from the leakers who talked about it), I'd say the GC VC is coming. At least, we won't have to wait too long to know (hopefully), since there will be more details on the VC before the launch of the system...and it's launching in less than 2 months :p

Scrawnton

Gonna quote myself from another thread here

Not saying it's a great idea or anything, but I'm curious to know if it could feel like an okay solution to you guys.

Of course they could release special joycons the Pro controller apparently has proper analog triggers but I don't know GCN VC could happen if they couldn't get around the digital triggers on the default controller.

It seriously would've been easier for them to get their heads out of their butts and just put analog triggers on the thing. Weren't they the first console maker to have analog triggers? What are they thinking here.....

Most games don't use them anyway, so most games are save right there. Super Mario Sunshine on the other hand will be interesting.

The thing is, LKD and Eurogamer said that Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine were coming to GCN VC on Switch, two games that depend heavily on the analog triggers...

javadoze

I'm pretty sure the digital triggers alone isn't a reason to write off the GCN VC. Maybe they could move the Z button to the - button and then have L/R and ZL/ZR respectively be the light and hard presses of the GC controller's triggers?

This is tangential to this thread but I'm amazed at how much misinformation/lack of clarification has occurred in the past 2 days.

We have this- analog vs digital triggers. I suppose it's not necessary for Nintendo to release a spec sheet with this info but it's weird how hard it is to get an actual answer.

We have the voice chat/messaging app. No one has been able to confirm that it will be the only way to message people on the console but so far we haven't seen any other way. Then again, we see Switch branded headsets and mics which would seem to suggest voice chat through the console.

We have apps/OS in general. Is there a browser? Is there anything additional about the OS they haven't shared yet? You'd think there would be, especially if you can share screenshots/videos to social media. Is there a friends list?

It's all very frustrating to not have concrete answers for all of these. It leads to dozens of threads here on GAF jumping to conclusions and spreading possibly false information.

udivision

They're not going to do VC beyond N64/DS this gen.

It's just not in the cards.

Have interchangeable joycons been denied?

He's complaining about the price. You're not going to be stocking up on them for different types of games because of the price point.

The Boat

There aren't many games that use analog triggers on GC, so it's not really a problem there save a few exceptions that can probabily be modified.

Joqu

It seriously would've been easier for them to get their heads out of their butts and just put analog triggers on the thing. Weren't they the first console maker to have analog triggers? What are they thinking here.....

Oh yeah. I'm not excusing it, I really wanted analog triggers to be the default too. Just trying to think of a GCN VC solution. :/

Gyro does sound flexible enough to me to serve as such a workaround, but I'm not sure how intuitive it would be

Jumeira

Banned

Before we blame Nintendo, is this a patent issue? Or will it undermine thier new rumble feature? IMO analogue triggers are a must but I'm not buying a Switch, though I'm still curious as I'm fascinated with the work/engineering that goes into control pads.

PetrCobra

No analog is a disappointment, but I doubt we would be getting GC VC anyway. The Switch is probably not powerful enough no emulate it.

Edit:

Couldn't they come out with GCN themed Joy-cons that have analog triggers?

Oh wow, good point

The JoyCon are tiny, full of gear, and expensive. I'm not trying to justify Nintendo's decision to stuff the JoyCon with a bunch of shit, but analog triggers were probably omitted to save space and avoid breakage.

Scrawnton

Oh yeah. I'm not excusing it, I really wanted analog triggers to be the default too. Just trying to think of a GCN VC solution. :/

Clickable joy sticks? I wonder of those could be used to simulate this... seriously the rumor of GCN VC for a major outlet was a major hype building force for me and Switch...

Worst case scenario they *could* support the GCN adapter. Brand new 1st party GCN controllers are still readily available at or below MSRP and many people still have them and the adapter. Maybe even make a revision to the adapter that uses USB 3 so only one cable is needed for full support.

I played all configurations of the switch today, and I can confirm for you guys that none of the control options have analogue triggers.

The reason for the confusion up until this point is probably that the triggers on the joycon have a little bit of "give" before the button is pressed. This could have lead some people to think that they may have been analogue. However, they are not.

Sorry folks!

maxcriden

They're not going to do VC beyond N64/DS this gen.

It's just not in the cards.

He's complaining about the price. You're not going to be stocking up on them for different types of games because of the price point.

Ah, gotcha, thanks. My fault, totally went over my head. But, couldn't they make cheaper joycons sans HD rumble?

The reason for the confusion up until this point is that the triggers on the joycon have a little bit of "give" before the button is pressed. This could have lead some people to think that they may have been analogue. However, they are not.

Sorry folks!

Thanks for the confirmation! Now if only we can pre-order the damn Pro Controller somewhere ;)

The JoyCon are tiny, full of gear, and expensive. I'm not trying to justify Nintendo's decision to stuff the JoyCon with a bunch of shit, but analog triggers were probably omitted to save space and avoid breakage.

They were touting all of their innovations yet skipped over one that has been copied and emulated since. How can a controller have HD rumble yet not have a button that can determine how much you're pressing it?

maxcriden

There aren't many games that use analog triggers on GC, so it's not really a problem there save a few exceptions that can probabily be modified.

Agreed, but aren't some of the most demanded games unfortunately those that happen to use analog? Luigi's Mansion and Sunshine, for example.

ryan-ts

Sorry folks!

Thanks for the clarification. Disappointing and completely expecting Nintendo to release future Joycons with analog.

Zomba13

I just burst out laughing when they mention it as out of all the thing they could have mention about the Gamecube they chose that.

It was such a troll. They talk about the famicom and including two controllers, they talk about the SNES and the now standard 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons, they talk about the N64 and the analogue stick and rumble, they talk about the GC and... the handle, instead of the analogue triggers which are standard on every other platform.

Top Bottom